PDA

View Full Version : Tea tree oil scalp massage?

wandabee
March 3rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
I've been shampoo free for probably 3 months now (NEVER going back! Not only is it cheap, but my hair was never this soft when I used shampoo!), but am looking for something to stimulate my scalp to increase hair health and growth. I give myself a scalp massage pretty much every morning, but was wondering if using pure tea tree oil (or possibly diluted with some carrier oil) on my scalp would help?

I still am somewhat plagued with a mildly itchy scalp (it was MUCH worse when I was using shampoo, and it's always been worse for me in the winter months), so I want to make sure this won't make anything worse...

Additionally, since I'm in Canada, what brands would you ladies and gents recommend?

RadiantNeedle
March 3rd, 2011, 11:58 PM
I'd absolutely dilute the tea tree because pure can be a bit harsh. Try a few drops in some melted coconut oil, or jojoba oil.

wandabee
March 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I'd absolutely dilute the tea tree because pure can be a bit harsh. Try a few drops in some melted coconut oil, or jojoba oil.

I'm going to have to search the archives to see how jojoba oil/other treatments are supposed to be applied and then washed out using no shampoo... In any case, thank you for the advice! I'm going to go to a health food store this weekend, see if I can pick up some pure tea tree oil and jojoba oil :)

Cleopatra18
March 4th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Tea tree oil gave me a really red itchy rash with pimples and stuff at the back of my neck when I used it straight undiluted,so please don't try to use it straight.It's an essential oil and you really need to use another carrier with it atleast 50:50.

RadiantNeedle
March 4th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Conditioner Only is the best method I've found for washing out oils. It's very gentle. You need a cone-free conditioner, preferably with a fairly short ingredients list. I use the Aldi 5Star conditioner, and I know a lot of folk here have great results from other cheap, cone-free conditioners.

McFearless
March 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
You could add a few drops into your palm mixed with your conditioner. I know the body shop sells tea tree oil.

GrowingGlory
March 4th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Lemon tea tree (leptospermum petersonii) smells like lemon and has similar healing properties. Tisserand sells it online.