PDA

View Full Version : Please help my hair. tips needed ASAP. 2 days of hydrotherapy is killing my hair =(

always-remember
March 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi all,:)
I need your help out there. i've gotten my hair in a bad situation. As part of my recovery from back surgery, i have started hydrotherapy this week. after 2 sessions the damage to my hair is stressing me out. it's tailbone length so i wear it up in a bun of braids or rope twists so its up and out of the way. my head doesn't go under the water so i thought it would be fine. i just attempt walking from 1 end to the other. my ends are now splitting really badly. came across a few that had multiple splitends! im not sure if it's from the heated pool. it's getting worse and i don't know what to do/ put in my hair. It's making me feel physically sick. :(
I need your suggestions on what to do to help asap and what you suggest before going in the pool. should i oil it before? :confused:
your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all,
Jennifer

sweet&sourkiwi
March 3rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
No personal experience, but I've heard others here rinsing their hair in safe water before getting in the pool (and swim cap?)...I think the idea is that if the hair is already full of water then it won't soak up the bad chlorine water.

A dip in chlorine seriously dried out my hair last week (after NOT doing the above) and I had to use chelating shampoo.

Good luck and feel better!

Roseate
March 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
When I used to swim I would soak my hair in fresh water first, (like kiwi said: if it's full of fresh water it will absorb less chlorine-water), then add leave-in conditioner, then a swim cap over all. Afterwards, rinse and condition. That worked pretty well for me.

I've also seen the suggestion here to rinse in club soda to neutralize chlorine and minerals, but I haven't tried that one.

Kaeita
March 4th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Even if you're not putting your hair in the water, in a heated setting, the chlorine can still get into the hair in gas form. Covering it should be enough to protect it, but soaking in clean water first will probably help too. Plus the other suggestions mentioned above.

Mesmerise
March 4th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I would oil my hair first or put in some sort of conditioning treatment (ESPECIALLY at the ends) before putting it up. Then put on a swimming cap or something, even if your head's not going under water.

I am surprised you'd get a lot of damage from just being near the water...wow! That's sort of scary. I've never really considered the damage just being in a chlorinated pool could do to your hair, even if your hair wasn't in the water.

Anje
March 4th, 2011, 06:51 AM
As others have said, you might have some protection if you soak your hair with good water, and maybe smear some oil or conditioner on the ends to coat them a bit more. Also, make sure the bulk of your hair is resting on top of your head, not on the back of your head. It's really easy to dunk hair without realizing it.

A swim cap, or even a shower cap (either one's going to look silly, so embrace the silliness) will also help keep splashed water off.

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Yes, oil it before you put it up (how about a high bun with ends tucked under?), especially the ends. If you're not opposed, put some coney serum over that. And get a trim after hydrotherapy ends.

always-remember
March 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Thank you all for your tips:) i was also applying vit A & E oil to the ends before i put the high bun in. It's a different brand than what i usually use, so i stopped using that. i think that might have something to do with it as well. I have since done deep oil treatments and leave ins. My hair is really getting there. haven't needed to cut it yet.The ends are improving! i Had physio again since and put it in a crown braid damp and oiled. then covered with one of my silk snoods. Got some weird looks but it really has improved my hair. I think they over do the chlorine in the pool. you can taste it in the air:confused: I haven't been in one since childhood. now i remember why i dont like pools.
Thank you all once again. it really stressed me out. i don't like my hair getting damaged it really gets me down. no one likes hurting something they love:(