PDA

View Full Version : OMG I cut my hair :'(

MaggieJoh
March 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
I had to come and grieve with you all, who understand my pain more then most.

I've been blessed with incredibly thick, full hair but I've been having some pretty seriously headaches the last week. Yesterday I didn't have one and today I did and I finally made the connection. Yesterday was the first day of the week I hadn't worn my hair up. So it came down to it and while crying I begged my family to cut my hair to stop the pain.

My Mum obliged (almost too readily for my liking). 14 inches later...and a few hundred tears later my hair is right around waist length. Of course my first joke was "You know you have long hair when...you can cut off 14 inches and still be considered to have long hair." Well I suppose it's not considered long by you lovely bunch.

I am still really broke up over cutting it, I've saved the ponytail and it is going to be my offering to Shiva for Maha Shivaratri.

On a positive note I noticed the weight difference immediately and my neck stopped hurting...something I guess I got used to because I wasn't aware it hurt and felt strained until it didn't.

1hunky5monkeys
March 3rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Waist length is still long. Glad your neck's not hurting now! :grouphug:

RadiantNeedle
March 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
Waist length is still long, swishy and beautiful. I hope your neck and headaches stay away!

HintOfMint
March 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Waist length is still long and mighty gorgeous. I'm glad the pain is gone, and I hope you grow to love your hair at whatever length you can wear comfortably.

leslissocool
March 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
Waist length is still long! And I am glad you don't have anymore pain!

wandabee
March 3rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
I hope that your cut solved your discomfort! You're blessed to have such thick hair to cause that problem in the first place :P My hair is ridiculously fine; I almost wish I had hair that was that thick :P And as was said before, your hair is still quite long!!

ericthegreat
March 3rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
I can only imagine how long your hair was before you had your mother cut it! It must have been past classic length or more. Well, at least waist length is still no doubt quite long. And you no longer suffer from those headaches.

UltraBella
March 4th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I am sure it looks beautiful and you will feel much better not being in pain. I am so thankful my heavy hair has never hurt my neck or caused headaches, I would cut mine too if it did.

vanity_acefake
March 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I do hope that the pain and headaches have gone not you have had a hair cut.
Waist length is still extremely long hair.
Just think of all the updo's you can do again.
I'm so sorry you had to do this.
Sending you hugs.

Ishje
March 4th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I agree, waistlength is still long.

also, if you really suffer from pain because of long hair this is probably the best option.
now you can grow again to a length that is comfortable for you.

JulietCapulet
March 4th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Oh wow. Well I think you did the right thing, waist is my favorite length. ;-)

Toadstool
March 4th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I understand your grief, because a part of you has gone. But you did totally the right thing. Wasit length is indeed long and far more importantly you took care of your health first. GOod for you!

Phexlyn
March 4th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I agree with the others, waist length is still long and impressive! :flower:

I hope the headaches stay away from you now, and maybe you can try and grow your hair very slowly to a length that feels good to you without getting the terrible headaches.

oktobergoud
March 4th, 2011, 01:59 AM
To me, waist length is still INCREDIBLY long. Okay, I do have a pixie cut so everything is long, but trust me, you hardly see people here with waist length hair!! Most of them are children, so trust me, it really is long and uncommon :) Your hair is still special and most of all, it most feel a lot better! In the end, your health is much more important than your hair, so you made a good choice! :)

hanne jensen
March 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Waist length hair is still considered very long in "civilian" society. I's your health and comfort that matters.

If you want your very very long hair back, could an option be having a V hemline? Or maybe some layers? That would lighten your hair considerably.

Vorvolaka
March 4th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I think waist is a great length for hair. It may not be as long as it was but it is still long.

LisaButz2001
March 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I think it's a shame your family wasn't a little more sympathetic. It's good to not have neck and headaches though. You're very brave. I can't imagine cutting back to waist, and I used to like that length.

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Did you weigh that 14 inches? It is my understanding that hair doesn't weigh very much. It partially gets its illusion of volume from air between the hairs. I'd be interested to know whether or not cutting your hair was a lasting cure for headaches. I hope so; it would be a shame to have cut for nothing.

monsterna
March 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Think of all of us who are around APL or so! Waist is my goal (will probably change to hip or between the two). Your hair is still long. Is okay. :)

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Waist length is long and is the goal of many in here. So a lot of the bunch here do consider it long too!

slz
March 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I feel your pain *pun* :D
My hair does cause me all sorts of discomforts / pains if I don't bun it right, if my braid is not perfectly centered, etc, you name it - I wouldn't cut it for that though. I think as we say here "you can't have the butter and the butter's money".

Red_Wednesday
March 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Health before hair:flower:. I'm sure it's still just as lovely at it's new length, and now you can enjoy it pain free - which is what is most important :grouphug:.

naushin83
March 8th, 2011, 06:36 PM
waist after the cut ? how long was it b4 ?? :poot:

selderon
March 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I would be fascinated to hear how long and heavy your ponytail is, and how your head has been since.

bigeyedgirl829
March 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Aww hugs to you!!

spidermom
March 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
So - how's it going?

lapispimpernel
March 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Aw, that must have been heartbreaking. :( I wondered if you do any neck exercises? A lot of people have underdeveloped muscles there, since they just sort of stare in one direction (at a computer, maybe? :D) most of the time. When I first started caving, I wasn't used to the weight of a battery back and helmet on my head and I got terrible headaches until I started building up my neck muscles. There's a bunch of suggestions online. If you start now, you'll be super strong by the time your hair grows back, and you won't have to chop like this again!

share801
March 9th, 2011, 01:03 AM
This will sound kind of silly, but as a former short hair I had to teach myself that I can pick my hair up and move it when it's in the way instead of contorting myself into an awkward posture to protect it.

One day I was sitting at work feeling rather stiff and awkward and I realized I was really trying to keep my hair away from the back of my chair. I don't tend to be overly aware of such things particularly when I am busy.

Anyway, for the OP, I think waist is flattering on many people and certainly still "long". If you decide to grow it longer perhaps practicing more balanced updos might affect how you hold your neck and head.

Flossy
March 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Health before hair:flower:. I'm sure it's still just as lovely at it's new length, and now you can enjoy it pain free - which is what is most important :grouphug:.

My thoughts exactly!

annieangel149
March 9th, 2011, 01:46 AM
are you feeling better now?

Cupofmilk
March 9th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Waist length is still long. I cut about 18 inches off and ended up with BSL hair. I was in shock for a while, liked it for a while and then I found LHC by accident and decided to grow it back. I am pleased the headaches have gone.

DakarNick
March 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Waist length is still long. I cut about 18 inches off and ended up with BSL hair. I was in shock for a while, liked it for a while and then I found LHC by accident and decided to grow it back. I am pleased the headaches have gone.

What length were you at before your chop? The OP was asked what length her hair was. Her profile says 30" or so now. So 44" before the cut. Yours must have been around there. But not sure where that is on the body. Between classic and knee?

cm006j
March 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
That is a wonderful offering for Shiva! Keep thinking of it like that :)

enfys
March 9th, 2011, 09:18 AM
What length were you at before your chop? The OP was asked what length her hair was. Her profile says 30" or so now. So 44" before the cut. Yours must have been around there. But not sure where that is on the body. Between classic and knee?

On a short person (5' 3"), 44" is classic. It is on me anyway!

Cupofmilk
March 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I don't know. It was sit on length. I think around 43 which is just above classic. Take 18 is about 26 which is about BSL. My ends were bad in a lot of places so some of the pieces were 12 inches long and the longest 18. The strange thing is I don't think I was quite classic. Classic is no more than 44 inches on me, I have some of the shorter strands I cut off still and they are all 12-15 inches. The longest ones were so split - all went on the fire!!!
I am hip now and 6-8 inches off classic about - I have lost over 50lbs since I had very long hair and as a result classic length has moved upwards on me which is a bonus!

Darkhorse1
March 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I'm so sorry that you had to cut so much, but it sounds like it's still long and you are pain free, which is the bigger factor. You need to be able to enjoy life with long hair, not have long hair to the extend you are uncomfortable.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Seriously, I'd DIE to have waist length hair right now...

Not really :D But i'd love to, as it IS long hair.

terpentyna
March 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
It's still longer than mine :)

it was definitely the right thing to do - you don't wan't to start disliking your hair...

bluesnowflake
March 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'm so sorry :( I hope your headaches stop. Waist is still long!

MeganE
March 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I had to come and grieve with you all, who understand my pain more then most.

I've been blessed with incredibly thick, full hair but I've been having some pretty seriously headaches the last week. Yesterday I didn't have one and today I did and I finally made the connection. Yesterday was the first day of the week I hadn't worn my hair up. So it came down to it and while crying I begged my family to cut my hair to stop the pain.

My Mum obliged (almost too readily for my liking). 14 inches later...and a few hundred tears later my hair is right around waist length. Of course my first joke was "You know you have long hair when...you can cut off 14 inches and still be considered to have long hair." Well I suppose it's not considered long by you lovely bunch.

I am still really broke up over cutting it, I've saved the ponytail and it is going to be my offering to Shiva for Maha Shivaratri.

On a positive note I noticed the weight difference immediately and my neck stopped hurting...something I guess I got used to because I wasn't aware it hurt and felt strained until it didn't.

I am sorry. I know how many times I've cried over haircuts that stole away the length I had fought so long and hard for. :( Do you use layers? If not, putting them in would keep the weight down, and let you achieve that length again.