PDA

View Full Version : Please help, hair loss.

Jeno86
March 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
My father has recently been losing a lot of hair, literally chunks of hair. He had even been losing hair from his beard. It took several months for his beard to grow back and we are hoping that his hair will do the same. He has been to the doctors and is in perfect health but he keeps losing more hair. Could stress be doing this to him? Does anyone know anything that could help it either start to regrow or prevent what he has left from falling out?

Anje
March 3rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Does it seem to come and go with stress? Does he have bald patches?

Off the top of my head, it sounds like alopecia areata to me. Dermatologists should be able to diagnose and treat it, whatever it is.

Jeno86
March 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM

Off the top of my head, it sounds like alopecia areata to me. Dermatologists should be able to diagnose and treat it, whatever it is.

This is the first time something like this has happened but he has been really stressed lately. Yes he does have bald patches. I'll see it I can get him to go to a dermatologist. Thank you for responding ^_^

Madora
March 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Has your dad has his thyroid and iron levels checked?

Also, has he seen a trichologist (hair doctor)?

RadiantNeedle
March 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
An excess of cortisol is known to cause hair loss, among other things, so it could absolutely be stress. I'm thinking that's why I'm still shedding a lot even after I've stopped using sulphate shampoos.
This is the main thing I'm looking at now in terms of trying to pinpoint the cause of my hair loss (and other ailments), and considering the fact that I have a lot of the issues that excess cortisol is known to cause, and I have PTSD, I'm thinking that stress does indeed seem to be the culprit!

Have a look at this link if you're interested in learning about cortisol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol
Nonetheless, it's important to check thyroid function, iron levels, hormones, diabetes risk and allergies as well!

kwaniesiam
March 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM

This.

The fact that he's losing patches from his beard makes me want to say alopecia areata. Seconding the dermatologist.

Zarah
March 3rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Your dad should def have a complete check up. If it's stress, I think yoga & acupuncture can be good.

This has helped with my shed lately. Fenugreek tea and garlic(internally & externally).

With the garlic, i've been swallowing it raw. Made a raw honey/garlic mask, and been washing with garlic shampoo. I smell(lol) but it is working for me.

Good luck with your dad.

Jeno86
March 5th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I want to thank all of your for helping me with this. I'm going to pass this on to my father and try to help him with whatever is happening. Thank you all again.