PDA

View Full Version : How Should I Wear My Thigh Length Hair For An Interview?

Aerith
March 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hello LHC! :blossom:

I have an interview at a Hair, Nail and Skin Care supply place tomorrow. I'm really excited and nervous, since I've been out of work for a while. My hair is so long I can sit on it. I filled out an application today while I was out and was wearing my hair down. The lady didn't say anything about my hair but it was clear she noticed how long it was by her shocked expression as I was walking out. :eek: So it made me wonder how I should wear my hair for the actual interview tomorrow.

I'm not good with updos, and they usually give me headaches even when I just pull it back. When I wear my hair back I usually put it in a low ponytail without pulling it back (part showing), or a simple English braid hanging loose. Will an English braid look professional enough, and will not having it tucked back or in a bun at my length look unprofessional? It is a hair supply place after all so I'm not near any dangerous machines or anything for it to be considered hazardous, so I don't think it will matter too much as long as it's always neat.

What do you all think? Feel free to give any suggestions. Thank you! :kitten:

princessp
March 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
We have some salon folks on LHC maybe they will chime in. Since it is a salon maybe having long hair is a good thing?

Personally, I would never wear my hair down for an interview. Not in braids or a ponytail. I would put it up in a bun (a cinnabun is really easy). I just don't take any chances for interviews; no hair down, no crazy make-up or jewelry, no loud colors, no super high heels, no cleavage or excess skin showing, I keep things clean and classic (you never know who might have issues...) But I'm not an expert that is simply what I would do.

I hope you get the job, good luck!

Madora
March 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
I'd suggest heidi braids..or if you're updo challenged, braiding your hair in one long braid and then taking the braid and pinning it around your head. Good luck!

Roseate
March 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
If you don't do well with updos, and the interview is tomorrow, it's probably not a good time to learn. You don't want to end up with something unstable that tumbles down halfway through the interview, or something too tight that makes your head pound!

Of your style options (down, ponytail, braid), I'd pick braid. Since it's a beauty supply place, impressive hair may actually work in your favor, but keeping it contained will look neater and more professional. Good luck!

Aerith
March 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
If you don't do well with updos, and the interview is tomorrow, it's probably not a good time to learn. You don't want to end up with something unstable that tumbles down halfway through the interview, or something too tight that makes your head pound!

Of your style options (down, ponytail, braid), I'd pick braid. Since it's a beauty supply place, impressive hair may actually work in your favor, but keeping it contained will look neater and more professional. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! :) Roseate, that's pretty much everything I was thinking. So far, a simple braid feels like my best option, but I'm definitely still open to more ideas and suggestions! *Is looking up more information on looking professional and hairstyles now*

et--cetera
March 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
I would say a sleek looking braid, perhaps a french, is a great idea for an interview. If its a salon they might like the fact that you can style such long hair and you could always add accessories to your hair or what not to dress it up.

wvgemini
March 3rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Or perhaps take the braid and loop it back up ... just kind of folded up once? Might make it look a little fancier.

And good luck!

Lianna
March 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
I was just about to suggest a folded braid too. :)

Aerith
March 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Or perhaps take the braid and loop it back up ... just kind of folded up once? Might make it look a little fancier.

And good luck!

I was just about to suggest a folded braid too. :)

Oh, that sounds really nice idea actually! So it's just a english french braid and folded up and secured with a claw clip or elastic?

Like this but with only one braid: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_VTgDYkiEGko/SPOLiE3RWlI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/WLS8vxAmtKw/9.jpg

Or this: http://frannyslonghair.blogspot.com/2010/08/hairstyle-how-to-folded-braid.html ?

*Hopes she has a barrette/claw clip that will be secure*

Lianna
March 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
I was thinking like the last picture in this post:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1377470&postcount=1625

wvgemini
March 3rd, 2011, 06:22 PM

Yup. That's what I was thinking too.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'd do a braid as high as mid-back of head, put a hair stick through the hair right above the braid, and then wrap my braid around the hair stick, tucking the ends under, perhaps securing with a couple of pins. A french or dutch braid would be even better in terms of hold.

emmebean
March 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
That folded braid is lovely and looks professional and "fancy" at the same time. Good luck :)

MaiCarInMtl
March 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
I really think the folded brais would look great. Good luck!

trillian
March 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
How do you intend to wear your hair when you're working? Personally, I'd wear your hair that way for your interview. I really think it's best to start out as you mean to go on, meaning, be yourself. I really think it's best to figure out if things are a good fit at the outset, and if your employer is more worried about your hair than your brains, do you really want to work for them? Now that said, I wouldn't wear it loose and flowing, but... Wear it in a way you feel good about it, that preferably makes you feel beautiful. And of course, good luck with your interview! Let us know how it turns out!

Aerith
March 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM

Wow!! That's is sooo beautiful. That just might become a regular style of mine. :) Is the hairpiece she uses to hold it in place called a "Flexi-8" and where can I buy those in stores (they are probably mostly only online though)?

How do you intend to wear your hair when you're working? Personally, I'd wear your hair that way for your interview. I really think it's best to start out as you mean to go on, meaning, be yourself. I really think it's best to figure out if things are a good fit at the outset, and if your employer is more worried about your hair than your brains, do you really want to work for them? Now that said, I wouldn't wear it loose and flowing, but... Wear it in a way you feel good about it, that preferably makes you feel beautiful. And of course, good luck with your interview! Let us know how it turns out!

Very nice advice, Trillian! You're absolutely right. It's been a while since I've worried about a job interview so my nerves were getting to me. I won't worry about it so much. Your words really helped. I usually wear my hair in a ponytail or braid since putting my hair up really just hurts sometimes and I occasionally let it hang loose like today. I haven't mastered the french braid on my own head yet because my hands get tired. I think the regular braid is definitely the best option for me since I have confidence in myself with them and they look neat and are "me." :)

Thanks so much everyone. You're just so helpful as always. *Biiig hug for all of you* :grouphug: I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. *Crosses fingers*

Lianna
March 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Yes, they are called Flexi 8. You can buy them at flexi8.com or maybe try the swap board here. I know in some countries you can get them in some kind of fairs, not sure about stores, but probably. I don't get them in my country so I order at the official site. Like Igor said, she used one that was a tad big for the style, I think a medium or large should work better. I think slides (http://stitchntyme.tumblr.com/post/260687491/a-hair-slide-that-will-make-a-fashion-statement) should work well with the style too, maybe even an african butterfly comb (http://africanbutterfly.com/).

Aerith
March 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, they are called Flexi 8. You can buy them at flexi8.com or maybe try the swap board here. I know in some countries you can get them in some kind of fairs, not sure about stores, but probably. I don't get them in my country so I order at the official site. Like Igor said, she used one that was a tad big for the style, I think a medium or large should work better. I think slides (http://stitchntyme.tumblr.com/post/260687491/a-hair-slide-that-will-make-a-fashion-statement) should work well with the style too, maybe even an african butterfly comb (http://africanbutterfly.com/).

Thanks Lianna. That helps me out a lot. :) If I get this job I might order a Flexi-8 as a prize for myself. I'm really lacking on hairtoys that I can use.

Lianna
March 3rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
You're welcome and good luck! :blossom:

karenpetal
March 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
My advise - whihc ever way you wear it make sure
1. You are super comfortable
2. It MUST show length and richness of your gorgeous hair especially because of nature of job place

Leaving it down may be a good idea if you comfortable or Igor's braid would look gorgeous too !!

If you do braid it make sure ends are even and look healthy - you can fold the end too !!

GOOD LUCK !!!

rosek
March 4th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I think an english braid sounds perfect. Good luck for your interview!

Lady-Djenevre
March 4th, 2011, 03:20 AM
#15 makes a good point. Is the employer offering YOU the job or your hair? While its important to look neat and professional its also important to feel comfortable and confident to give the best account of yourself. I would go with the English braid, perhaps doubled up. Oherwise trim the ends so they look neat.

pepperminttea
March 4th, 2011, 04:24 AM
2. It MUST show length and richness of your gorgeous hair especially because of nature of job place

Leaving it down may be a good idea if you comfortable

I would actually specifically NOT do this. As lovely as I'm sure your hair is, some people can be a bit 'funny' about very long hair, and while it's not a view I agree with, it can be considered "unprofessional." :rolleyes:

Ditto what princessp said, really. I'd hide the length in a full updo rather than a braid left down; just something that looks tidy and professional. A folded braid, or a braided Chinese bun (similar to what Spidermom described) sounds perfect. They're interviewing you, not your hair, after all. Good luck! :)

selderon
March 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Having worked in the salon industry, I would suggest making a concerted effort to style your hair so they first thing the interviewer notices is YOU... and so your hair looks beautiful, stylish and well-cared for. Something very controlled, such as a folded braid or a chinese bun, might go over best.

In any case, let us know how it went!

wvgemini
March 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Sort of OT, but I am in love with those African Butterfly clips. Wow!

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM
How did it go?

I think it's important to give the very best presentation of yourself that you can at an interview. Once you have the job, you can relax a bit (within guidelines of the dress code, of course).

MaiCarInMtl
March 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I think slides (http://stitchntyme.tumblr.com/post/260687491/a-hair-slide-that-will-make-a-fashion-statement) should work well with the style too, maybe even an african butterfly comb (http://africanbutterfly.com/).
Those look amazing! I just checked out the site, but how are we supposed to order? Send them an e-mail?
Has anyone ordered from this place before?

Anje
March 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Those look amazing! I just checked out the site, but how are we supposed to order? Send them an e-mail?
Has anyone ordered from this place before?
I haven't ordered from them, but if you go to "Products" and keep clicking on stuff you like, you get to individual combs and have the option to buy them.
example (https://www.africanbutterfly.com/abshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1406&idcategory=73)

Aibell77
March 4th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Funny how we think alike here :) The first thing I thought when I read the post was a folded braid...
Good luck on your interview! (Or do you say break a leg...)

Aerith
March 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks again for all the help and advice LHC! :blossom:

I wore my hair in a regular braid. I got the job!! There is bad news to this, but it's a bit long and complicated to explain here and a bit off topic (nothing to do with my hair). I'm really happy that I got it though. :)

Toadstool
March 5th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Congratulations on your new job!

Aerith
March 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Congratulations on your new job!

Thank you Toadstool. :)

selderon
March 5th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Congratulations on your job, Aerith! :cheese:

Lianna
March 5th, 2011, 05:20 PM