PDA

View Full Version : Hair thinning since joing LHC?

SprngGrnGoddess
March 3rd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Another question for your wise minds :D

So the condition of my hair feels great - those crunchy velcro ends are definitely smoother and less troublesome feeling, and the overall improved condition of my hair is noticeable.

Thing is, I can't figure out if it just feels thinner because the damaged rough cuticles were making my hair feel thicker that it was (which is was, to degree) but I'm also getting as much shed if not more so than before.

I guess all the extra playing with my hair trying out new hair styles and stuff hasn't helped...before I'd leave my hair unbrushed for days, and it'd getteing all messed up in my bed and windswept etc. Where as now I'm being much more careful but I am fussing at it more.

Did anyone else find that thier hair started to feel less volumous?

enfys
March 3rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
How have you changed your routine since coming here? That might offer a clue.

Rocket22
March 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Another question for your wise minds :D

So the condition of my hair feels great - those crunchy velcro ends are definitely smoother and less troublesome feeling, and the overall improved condition of my hair is noticeable.

Thing is, I can't figure out if it just feels thinner because the damaged rough cuticles were making my hair feel thicker that it was (which is was, to degree) but I'm also getting as much shed if not more so than before.

I guess all the extra playing with my hair trying out new hair styles and stuff hasn't helped...before I'd leave my hair unbrushed for days, and it'd getteing all messed up in my bed and windswept etc. Where as now I'm being much more careful but I am fussing at it more.

Did anyone else find that thier hair started to feel less volumous?

I don't know about the shedding but if I didn't comb my hair out and left it all "poofy" I think it would appear thicker. I know this isn't the same thing but I have used a straightener only a couple of times in my life because it seemed to make my hair look thinner (lord knows I don't need it to look any thinner) but guess having it all sleek will make it appear a little finer

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
The longer my hair gets, the thinner it is :(

dreamerx6
March 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I got the same feeling after I joined TLHC. Maybe you're not shedding more, you're just noticing/paying attention to it more?

And before I started deep conditioning and taking care of my hair, my hair was dry but appeared to be thicker than it really was. Conditioning it made it sleeker and more moisturized so at times, it looks flat :/

curlymarcia
March 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
So you apply oil in the roots??

anodyne_ame
March 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Before joining LHC, my hair felt thicker, but it was only because it was all poofy from benign neglegt. After I started to really pay attention to haircare, my hair is a lot smoother and therefore appears thinner.

EmiliaF
March 5th, 2011, 11:46 AM
My hair got a lot thicker when I started using castor and coconut oils. However, after cold water rinses it does feel thinner... maybe it does have something to do with the cuticle...?

I have thinner hair now, but it's because of shedding. I started changing my routine in the beginning of december and for a month everything was perfect. Then in January I had a little more shedding then before (I hardly had any shedding at all before), but I didn't worry about it too much in the beginning. Then it got more and more, but I didn't think about it much because it's normal to have phases when you loose more hair. But on Monday I actually noticed that my ponytail is thinner now. Now I am a little worried because my hair is almost at tailbone and it takes sooo long to regain that length with new babyhair.... like 4 years or something.
So I am wondering if this is because of all the oil treatments and CO. I do have a lot of new growth and I read that new hair also pushes out old hair at some point, but I am not sure if this is the reason. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I don't want to hijack this thread but the title is perfect for this question ;)

danacc
March 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I have more hair now than before I joined.

My shedding pattern has changed as I stretched out washes. I think I notice more how much I shed, too. Since it is usually contained during the day, I see all of the hair that comes loose when I take it down at night.

It may be that the difference in texture is causing a different feel for you. Measuring the circumference of your ponytail is pretty straightforward. Most folks measure a ponytail made at the nape because it is easy to do the same measurement each time that way. If you are seeing a change in this measurement, then you know something has changed and you can try to figure out what.

BranwenWolf
March 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM
My hair felt thicker as well, but I also think it was neglect. I didn't condition nearly as much. I also had lots more detangling to do all the time!

littlenvy
March 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I lost almost an inch since joining LHC.
I guess its normal since my hair was damaged. AND I went through a major shed in September.
Also, when my hair is very dry, it does seem like it has more volume.

So now I'm just working on getting my hair healthy and see where it gets me thickness wise. :p

princessp
March 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Before joining LHC, my hair felt thicker, but it was only because it was all poofy from benign neglegt. After I started to really pay attention to haircare, my hair is a lot smoother and therefore appears thinner.

Yeah I kind of feel like my experience was similar. I also hennaed my hair right before joining LHC and I believe the healing qualities of the henna really helped my hair smooth out more too. I think the thing to ask is if your hair is healthier. If it is, then you are likely on a good program. If it is unhealthy and thinning then I'd re-evaluate your current routine.

HintOfMint
March 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
It would be helpful if you posted your routine. There are some common LHC routines, such as CO, WO, stretching washes too long, or oiling the scalp that lead to increased shedding in many people. I personally had to stop CO for this reason.

Hopefully it's just that you have smoother hair and that's why you have less volume.

SprngGrnGoddess
March 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hiya!

I have been CWC mostly... :D

I do always seem to shed a lot (I'm amazed I have any hair left at all really!!) and it seems even more recently... maybe I'm just more aware of it.

co.co
March 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I just posted about this in the CO thread and then found this one :P oops?
I've definitely been noticing a LOT of hair coming out since I changed my routine as inspired by LHC, but like a few of you I'm not sure if it's due to the change, or that I'm just noticing it more, or because now I'm wearing it up almost constantly so it doesn't have a change to shed whenever. (!?)
I only just started COing/oiling/SMTing/cone-freeing about two weeks ago - and my hair is now in a condition I never would have though possible without cutting it, but the amount of hair I'm losing is freaking me out! My hair is a lot smoother and straighter (which I hate, I miss the waviness!) but definitely in better condition. Again like a few of you guys I think it could just be that my hair is in better condition and not dreadlocky when it gets knotty anymore :| and the cuticle has smoothed itself down.
But I'm not sure if I should try a CWC or something and see what happens. Damn this paying so much attention to my hair!! :P

jojo
March 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I doubt that in just a month your hair has gone thinner but if you went days without brushing before, then maybe it looks like your shedding more as you are now combing more regular plus using extra conditioner will loosen hair that was due to shed anyway!

Your hair looks lovely btw!