PDA

View Full Version : When all else fails...

Wheatland
March 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
The other weekend I out of town and I found myself without shampoo or conditioner. I figured not using shampoo would be ok but I needed conditioner so in absolute desperation I put body lotion on my hair. :p

I didn't really put a lot so I didn't notice a huge difference in my hair and the next day I was able to go home and use my regular shampoo and conditioner.

But I want to hear what y'all have put on your hair in either desperation or because it just seemed like I good thing to put on your hair.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
I've had to use dishwashing liquid instead of shampoo to wash my hair. It works better than soap, which can leave a sticky, dull film.

I can't recommend it, though.

Isabel
March 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Some doctors recommend that people with certain skin conditions (for example atopic skin) should use unscented body lotion for showering instead of regular soaps. So it can't be that bad of a choice.

Maybe it's okay as a short-term solution?

Wheatland
March 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
I've had to use dishwashing liquid instead of shampoo to wash my hair. It works better than soap, which can leave a sticky, dull film.

I can't recommend it, though.

I would be really scared to use dish washing soap! I've never used regular soap before... On my hair I mean. :D

Wheatland
March 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Some doctors recommend that people with certain skin conditions (for example atopic skin) should use unscented body lotion for showering instead of regular soaps. So it can't be that bad of a choice.

Maybe it's okay as a short-term solution?

I didn't know that. I definitely didn't find it to be damaging in any way.

Anje
March 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
I'd expect buildup from most body lotions, since they tend to be heavier on the mineral oil and silicones, compared to conditioner. But for a few washes, it sounds a lot better than nothing.

Heck, I know DH would always run his hands through his hair after putting lotion on them. Gave him some nice moisture and volume. And since he was using shampoo in those days (and had 2 inch hair), buildup wasn't an issue.

Wheatland
March 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
I'd expect buildup from most body lotions, since they tend to be heavier on the mineral oil and silicones, compared to conditioner. But for a few washes, it sounds a lot better than nothing.

Heck, I know DH would always run his hands through his hair after putting lotion on them. Gave him some nice moisture and volume. And since he was using shampoo in those days (and had 2 inch hair), buildup wasn't an issue.

Now that I think about it, I think my mom would do the same thing by using lotion and then rubbing her hands through her hair. Her hair is also about 2 inches long though!