PDA

View Full Version : How often do you need to change shampoo and conditioner?

LotusFIre
March 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
I was wondering how long some of you go on one s/c before switching, assuming that it's not making you shed or breaking your scalp out or something like that. Do you wait until your hair seems like it's not liking it anymore, or do you have a system of rotation?
Thanks for your responses!

Yamainu
March 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I was just coming to ask the same question!

So far, I've waited until my hair starts getting finicky, but I'm wanting to start a scheduled rotation to keep that from happening.

Siava
March 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm done experimenting and have my golden routine down. It took a long time, but you'll eventually find what works for you.

I wash every 2 days with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo (diluted) and whichever conditioner of Suave's I have on hand at the time. I work in a dandruff shampoo once every 2 weeks because I tend to get a little flakey.

That's it. It's a simple routine that works for me and my hair likes it.

Amraann
March 2nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
In the past I have waited until my hair seems to not like it.
If ACV rinse does not help I would switch.

Now I have a c/o that I love and so far no problems!

enfys
March 2nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have my reliable ones and ones I bought on a whim. I use them according to what flavour I fancy unless I know my hair needs to looks good.

My hair doesn't need a change, I do. I'd get bored always using the same ones.

BrightEyes7
March 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Why change a good thing?

I haven't changed since I started my current routine because my hair has never been happier. I don't feel the need to try other things if what I have works.

I don't believe in that saying that you need to change S&C because your hair got used to it. You may need to clarify, but if it worked it should always work (pending the formulas haven't changed)

LornaDoone
March 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
When I used shampoo and conditioner I kept two different brands in my shower. I would just grab one at random, but didn't use the same shampoo more than four or five days in a row. (This was when I washed everyday.) I bought several different brands, but kept coming back to Suave and Garnier Fructis.

But, unless your hair is obviously unhappy or you are seeing signs of build up, I wouldn't worry about it. For me, it was mostly that I wanted a different scent from time to time.

tigr
March 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I have 2 different shampoos and I alternate them. It works for me. I don't get build-up. I've been doing this for years. I'm starting to think about maybe getting a second conditioner and alternating that, too.

Lemur_Catta
March 4th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I never change my conditioner. I have a favourite cone-free one, and in the winter when I blow dry I also grab a little bit of whatever coney conditioner my mom and my sister have bought.
I change shampoos sometimes, because my hair likes almost all SLS shampoos, so I choose according to the smell, provided they are cone free and not too harsh :D

Nae
March 4th, 2011, 06:05 AM
All the time! I jump from product to product so fast your head would spin. Currently I have 7 different shampoos in rotation and 12 different conditioners.

Phexlyn
March 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I wish I could stick to a single product, that would make life so much easier!
Unfortunately, either the shampoos are giving me dandruff after 3-5 uses or they keep away itchiness and dandruff but make my hair greasy super fast. I don't know what to do about it, really, because this happens with each and every shampoo I own, even if I have used it successfully and without problems in the past. So at the moment, I change after about every second to third wash, whenever one of the problems gets really bad... :(

Chamy
March 4th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I dont change at all. I would if a problem came up with the product, like if i was getting a bad reaction all of a sudden. Or if they stop making my product. But other than that i will probably never change.

ladylovecraft
March 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I don't think you have to change for any specific purpose--I just never repurchase the same conditioner because it gets boring using the same one. *shrug* I will repurchase from the same brand though, just in different scents.

However, now that I've been introduced to the AMAZING scent of CV's Shampoo Bar in Lavender Spice, I don't know if I can live without it, hehe.

CAPA7
March 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I normally keep using the same shampoo and conditioner until I'm no longer happy with the results. It does get a bit boring but at least I know I'll get the results I want.

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I use a product until I run out of it. Then I might buy the same thing again if I like it and it's at a good price. Or I might buy something new. I generally need 3 bottles of conditioner to every bottle of shampoo, but I tend to run out of one before I run out of the other. I like to match up my products because not all cosmetic ingredients are compatible, and I don't want chemical warfare on my head. But every few months I end up with separate brands of shampoo and conditioner, and so far it's been o.k.

Debra83
March 4th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Once I found my amazing coneless conditioner last summer, I haven't deviated. I switch up the shampoos though sometimes. I cwc.

GrowingGlory
March 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I've been switching up when I run out of product. But I might institute a seasonal product shift to benefit the health of my hair.

oktobergoud
March 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
All the time! I jump from product to product so fast your head would spin. Currently I have 7 different shampoos in rotation and 12 different conditioners.

Woah I thought I was bad when it came to buying shampoos & conditioners but I'm glad to see there's someone who is even worse ;)

To me, it depends on what my hair needs. If it's in good shape and doesn't need anything extra, I just buy whatever smells/sounds good and use it till it's done, unless it really doesn't work. Same goes for when I was blonde, it's hard to find the perfect shampoo for blonde hair so when I finally found the perfect one I didn't use anything else!
Now I'm in that phase that I'll try a lot of different things. I use different conditioners already but I'm going back to SLS now as well so I think I'll own a lot of different ones soon :P

MissCoco
March 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I just switch between 2 organic shampoos and 1 conventional shampoo that works really well for me. I also use herbs, which help keep things interesting. :)

jujube
March 4th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I'm really bad at figuring out a routine that works. I currently have an expensive co-wash conditioner, a cheap co-wash conditioner that I'm not sure I like yet, a matching shampoo and conditioner for poo days, and a conditioner that will soon be promoted to shave gel. I'm trying to stick to CO but I often get shampoo urges. Go figure.

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I don't feel the need to change. But I don't stress about buying the exact same everytime. There's a few brands I like (3-4), I try to stay within their different kinds of shampoo/conditioners and sometimes deep conditioners, though I prefer to oil on damp hair instead of doing deep treatments for moisture. For protein (seldomly) I just use an egg.

I do have a favorite shampoo though, because not all SLS shampoos work the same for me, some are more drying.

luxepiggy
March 5th, 2011, 09:35 AM
The only time I change my shampoo & conditioner is when they get discontinued. At that point I panic, buy a bunch of backup bottles, and start searching frantically for a replacement (^(oo)^)v

deepsuperficial
April 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I have been in total PJ mode and switched up my S/C pretty much weekly - which isn't good. I am paying for it now. Why I didn't stick with ones that were making my hair nice is beyond me.

I don't see why you would 'need' to change - unless your hair condition changes

Safira
April 25th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I switch all the time. I have shampoos and conditioners to different kind of results. I enjoy them all, even though I`m a little bit silly with my obsession.

Girl must have her thing.

Lianna
April 26th, 2011, 01:56 AM
*edits*

I already replied, LOL. Sorry!!

Heatherzilla
April 26th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I never switch brands since I am hopelessly addicted to everything Sukin makes but I do occasionally switch which of their shampoos/conditioners I use. My hair seems to love their protein shampoo lately.

As a plus, all their products smell amazing. And they make my inner hippie happy (vegan, carbon neutral, no animal testing AND recyclable packaging! =] ).

gogirlanime
April 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I do it every 3 days, I have 3 shampoos and 3 conditioners. I'll use one combo for 3 days and then choose another random two, I feel like it helps my hair not get "used" to one combo and my hair continues to stay shiny, soft, and easy to work with.