PDA

View Full Version : Are oil/ deep treatments ok for fine hair?

LotusFIre
March 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
I have fine textured, medium thickness hair, and I would like to try a oil treatment or deep treatment, but I am not sure what kind would be good for my hair type. I searched it but couldn't find anything about fine hair. I just don't want it to be too greasy or weighed down. I'm sure using a smaller amount would probably help, but I would love to hear from people with fine hair that have done these treatments.
What have you tried, and what were the results?
Thank you for your responses. :D

NouvelleNymphe2
March 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
hello:waving:

although a newbie i have flown through tons of deep conditioning treatments. perhaps not the wisest decision, but alas here we are. oh, and i'm a finey (my hair is very soft and slippy, on the day after washes hair toys slide right out).

for deep conditioning i really like Honeyblonde's Avocado treatment. one squishy avocado pureed in the blender with EVOO (i also add honey, pure avocado oil, and 4 drops of Tea Tree EO). i hop in the shower and rinse my hair with cool and then warmer water, then apply the thick mix all over. it needs wrapped afterwards because it will harden if not. i wait about an hour and then get back in the shower to CWC the goop out. it is an oily mix so you'll want to do a good CWC after. anyway, after washing my hair looks and feels great.

you also might want to look into Fox's leave-in. i'm currently experimenting with all sorts of butters:grin:, they really seem to absorb well in the hair, better than oils. in terms of oils my favorite so far is avocado oil or coconut oil. since i'm wearing it up all the time (with tones of little clippies), i just comb, oil all over (try to avoid roots), give it a few bbb passes, and up it goes. HTH

Nini
March 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Some like it, some don't:)

For daily wear my hair does best when lightly oiled while damp, otherwise I look greasy. You'll have to find an oil that'll work for you.

I've done SMT's, which work well, if I have time to leave them in long enough, and remember to rinse properly.

Ursula's oil treatment worked well if I remember correctly.

I tried the weekly deep treatment Too Shea from Jessicurl and loved it. I used that one both as a deep treatment, but also as a leave in.

Do you wear your hair up? If so it's easier to experiment, and hide the result if it doesn't work quite the way you expected it to;)

annieangel149
March 2nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
my hair loves sweet almond oil! i smother it over my dry hair in the evening and then put it up in braid/bun/pony tail and then wash out the following morning! my hair loves that but alot of peeps here like to apply to damp hair after washes! as far as i am aware sweet almond oil and coconut oil are good light oils for fine hair! i found that olive and grapeseed oil were too heavy for me! just experiment with all the oils and you will find one that best suits your hair :D

MissEarlGrey
March 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
I have fine hair and I've always used Jojoba. I found that Coconut Oil really just sat on my hair and didn't penetrate (which is odd since it's supposed to very well) it was also just too heavy for my hair.

Misti
March 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
I have super fine hair, and I oil my hair up when it's still wet pretty much any time I don't intend to wear it down. (I rarely wear it down because it's so fine that it tangles easily.)

I make a my own blend of coconut, olive, and jojoba with essential oils (for winter --without the EEVO in summer) and put just a touch on the botton foot and a half of my hair right down to the tips when i come it out after cleaning it. It does make my hair heavy, but for my purposes that's fine. It doesn't make it look like a grease pit, though, because I keep it off my scalp.

If you wear yout hair down, I have also put it on the length and breadied it at night and cleaning it in the morning to wear my hair down. You could try that.

LotusFIre
March 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Where can I buy essential oils, jojoba or sweet almond oil?

dowhatchalike
March 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Where can I buy essential oils, jojoba or sweet almond oil?

i get all my oils from a health food store :D

annieangel149
March 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
im in the UK so i get mine in Holland and Barrett or the health food store round the corner where i live :D

Misti
March 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
It probably depends on whre you are, LotusFire. ;) Whole Foods in the US has them all. So does my local food coop.

McFearless
March 2nd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Of course fine haired people still can use treatments and oils. Luckily for you, you'll need less product.

LotusFIre
March 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
I found some good deals on Amazon. I might check out my local health food store first. Thanks everyone! :)

jasper
March 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I think I have a medium amount of fine textured hair. The oil i like to use as a leave in is Shea butter. It does not look greasy or heavy and seems to be absorbed.

I like to do an occasional deep treatment like the caramel treatment with a mixture of oils and other stuff, but that is the kind of thing that i have to shampoo out after a period of hours.

Yamainu
March 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
I like coconut oil a lot - deep oilings the night before washes, and tiny bits (just enough to make my palm shiny) on dry hair every day.

I tried SMT once, but it was a disaster. I dunno what I did wrong...

Fufu
March 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'm fine hair, 1b hair type :)

Camelia hair oil works well for me, I use the tsubaki oshima brand, it's real good.
I will apply 1 to 2 drops evey day on damp hair.

Do pre wash hair treatment once a week with about 8 to 10 drops and massage my hair scalp and leave it for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then wash off with CWC method :)

ladylovecraft
March 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I have fine hair and my hair LOVES coconut oil. I can slather it in the stuff before bed and wake up to it absorbed--sometimes when I put a little on it isn't even visible instantly. However, my hair personally does not agree with EVOO at all--no matter how little I use it gets crunchy and greasy looking. *shrug*

charalito
March 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I like coconut oil a lot - deep oilings the night before washes, and tiny bits (just enough to make my palm shiny) on dry hair every day.

Same for me. I also do deep oilings every 2 weeks with my own blend of coconut, almond, castor and herbs, but it's kind of a pain to wash out (egg washes usually do the trick for me.

Anywhere
March 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
On the archives there was an oil results poll (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13254), and oil results part II (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28520).
Part I had percentages of who can and can't use oils, by hairtype and texture.

~Once again, it did not matter how much hair one has. i to iii were all successful using oils.

~Most straighties and wavies and almost all curlies can use oils.

~Fine and medium hair does best with oils.. (quote from part II)
There's a fairly good chance that you can use oils, and I don't think a DT would hurt anyone. ;)

Deborah
March 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
My hair is super fine textured (think baby or toddler hair, only lots more of it) and most oils just sit on top of it, especially coconut oil. If my ends feel dry, I can stroke on just a tiny amount of shea nut butter or jojoba oil while the hair is still very damp from washing, but only on the bottom six inches or so. These are both nice for dryness. Mostly I just don't use oils on my hair. It is not at all porous, so nothing much can penetrate into it. It's very silky and shiny. If your hair is like mine, go very light on any oils you try.

Very fine hair is both lovely and a pain! It shines like glass and feels like silk. It's wonderfully swishy, with beautiful movement, but boy can it fly in the slightest wind! It doesn't tangle often, but when it does, I'd swear that hair has woven itself together. It is that hard to detangle. And when there is any breeze, even when the hair is in an updo, any stray hair can and will find its way over to stick to your lip balm.

Good luck!

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I recommend grapeseed oil for fine hair, since it's very light. Olive (EVOO), even though it's heavier, does the most wonders to my hair, I just use a little bit. I get crunchy ends with coconut. Shea butter is nice too, in very small amounts. Castor oil is quite sticky (even diluted). You'll probably find some oils that won't work for you, but don't give up after a few tries. Wheat germ oil is also very light, and has lots of vitamin E. :)

Kaelee
March 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
My fine hair LOVES a small amount of coconut oil left in after each wash (I wash daily and only use a conditioner once a week.)

PraiseCheeses
March 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I have baby fine hair, not particularly porous, and I do very well with oils. Prewash/overnight treatments with coconut or olive oil on the length, sometimes a castor oil scalp treatment (also prewash/overnight), and leave in a couple fingernail scrapings of coconut oil. Last wash I added a couple drops of EVOO and my hair feels better than it did when I was using coney serums.

Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66) a terrific article that might help you make an informed decision on what oils to start with. :) There's a lot of great info in the poll threads posted by Anywhere too. Have fun!