PDA

View Full Version : "Great British Hairdresser" on 4od

LovelyL
March 2nd, 2011, 04:38 AM
So anybody else watching this?

Be warned, this is very very different from your typical LHC attitude...

One hairdresser decided to give his model who was sporting rather nice bsl hair a shaved temple! I can't say I was impressed by the style and indeed the judge was much more impressed that the model allowed him to do it. I reckon she's going to deeply regret it. The growing out phase for her will look awful, pretty much no way around getting all her hair lopped off.

Then the celebrity stylist showed us how to backcomb properly. All I could think was "nooo not the tangles"

I'd say it's moderately entertaining reality TV fare that confirms all our worst nightmares about hairdressers. The phrase "know thy enemy" comes to mind!

Clarita
March 2nd, 2011, 05:48 AM
I haven't heard of this show until now but based on your description it seems like it would be pretty entertaining. If anything, it would probably confirm my decision to never go to another hairdresser!

lunalovegood
March 2nd, 2011, 05:58 AM
I hadn't heard of it but will definitely check it out on 4od. Thanks for mentioning it.

pepperminttea
March 2nd, 2011, 06:21 AM
I found this poking about 4od a few days ago. I watched five minutes then closed the window and went back to re-watching Black Books and Teachers. :p

enfys
March 2nd, 2011, 06:48 AM
I just watched it (gotta be better than my contextual studies essay) and it was as I'd expect, or better. Most of the hairdressers seemed to not want to cut the long hair of their models. There were some really stunning end styles too.

I never thought before how scary it must be doing a celebrity's hair, but whereas a dress designer has a few weeks to adjust a dress so it fits just so, a hairdresser obviously only has a few hours. I can't believe I never thought how high pressure that must be!

I might watch the rest of the series; I just watched the one episode for now.

As to the more "out there" cuts, what do you expect? I've had a few friends who have been hair models and they all stopped when they got fed up of looking kind of silly. I would never ever do it if there was cutting involved. If a friend begged my to be a curly braided fairy for them, I'd probably do it but no multi-level space-age asymmetry is happening on my head thankyouverymuch :D

lunalovegood
March 2nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
The two undercuts made me shudder! If someone asks for one then that's a totally different story, but just ending up with one like that, oh dear. Especially the second girl who had most of one side of her head shaved - she looked upset. I suppose that's a risk you take when you sign up to be a hair model. I hope it was well paid!

Panth
March 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Oh, that was funny... as DBF says, I love some good "car-crash TV" to laugh at to de-stress...

The stupid "celebrity session hairstylist" who graded everyone, not on skill or potential but on whether they did things how he would.
The daft hairdresser who shore off that poor girl's temple hair (though, seriously "my hair is almost BSL! don't cut it, it's taken 4 years to grow it this long!").
But, best of all, that they chose some idiot model with an inflated idea of her own opinion instead of someone who can actually present or interview. I couldn't stop snickering when that chap just kept ignoring all her questions and she got more and more annoyed...

Oh, channel 4, what would I do without your crap fashion and beauty train-smashes? :P

enfys
March 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
At least Abbey loves long hair! She kept cringing when anyone's hair was cut. She wasn't great as a presenter, but she was better than some.

What would you do without Channel 4's fashion shows? Snog, marry, avoid on BBC3 of course! :lol:

nazzooyzo
March 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
abbey Clancy ruins the show for me... she's annoying. some of the hairstyles were awful

LovelyL
March 3rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
Snog Marry Avoid is awesome candy-floss telly. Sweet, light and forgettable. Although you do have to feel a little sorry for some of those ladies, some self-esteem training would go soo much further than the make-under.

UltraBella
March 3rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
This is "entertainment" which is far different than real life. There are many amazingly talented hairdressers and they are not the "enemy".