PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil Shampoo Question

x0h_bother
March 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
I read the OP's links in the Coconut Oil Shampoo thread and I can't find answers in the thread to my questions.
Does anyone know if coconut oil shampoo clogs pores, makes dandruff/oily scalps worse, or create massive shedding?
My assumption would be that all three could occur, since people report disastrous results with coconut oil cleansing on their faces.
If this is answered in the thread, can someone give me a link to the post?

IvySchex
March 1st, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hi,

I can't exactly answer your question, as I haven't used any oil in my shampoo yet.

However, I can say something about the dandruff. I have always had mild dandruff. I thought it was just normal. I have never really used cone products, but I always used a mild SLS shampoo. I wanted to switch to an SLS free shampoo, but read that some people had more dandruff and yucky scalps.

But I read that if you massage your scalp vigorously (with fingertips) when shampooing, it loosens all the oils and dry skin. When I did this, my dandruff went away! So Cool!

I wash my hair every 7-9 days or so. Sure my scalp gets oily about the 6th or 7th day, but almost no dandruff!

Hope that helps a little.

Ivy

HuggyBear
March 1st, 2011, 09:35 PM
I had to stop using EVCO in my shampoo and as a moisturizer because it clogged my pores and caused the most horrific acne that I have had in years. I still use EVCO on my length but take special care not to get the stuff near my scalp/face anymore.

lunache
March 2nd, 2011, 03:34 AM
Hi! One of the awesome things about the LHC is to see how unique our own hair's needs are and how much care regimens vary from person to person!

I have some sort of irritable scalp condition, it's been diagnosed as various things by different docs with no consensus, but the practical upshot is I get massive breakouts if I don't use dandruff shampoo (nothing else will do) at least twice a week.

For the past three weeks I've been doing a coconut oil/dandruff shampoo wash at 50:50 ratio. I rinse it out really well, use a bit of Suave Naturals conditioner to comb out the few odd remaining tangles and finish it off with an ACV rinse.

When I tried this the first time I expected my scalp to rebel, especially because coconut oil on my scalp has always given me problems (itching, flakes). However, quite to my surprise, no dandruff or scalp breakouts. So far so good, and my length is soft! Perhaps the difference is that the shampoo and ACV get rid of the excess oil and it doesn't sit there on the scalp long enough to cause damage.

I hope this helps!

x0h_bother
March 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I have learned methods of controlling the dandruff, but I wanted to begin the EVCO shampoo method without backlash.

I had to stop using EVCO in my shampoo and as a moisturizer because it clogged my pores and caused the most horrific acne that I have had in years. I still use EVCO on my length but take special care not to get the stuff near my scalp/face anymore.
I too have experienced acne from using it too close to my scalp, so I also use it on the ends.
I worry about the pore clogging/acne you describe- this was also on the scalp right?
Did you shed?

Hi! One of the awesome things about the LHC is to see how unique our own hair's needs are and how much care regimens vary from person to person!

I have some sort of irritable scalp condition, it's been diagnosed as various things by different docs with no consensus, but the practical upshot is I get massive breakouts if I don't use dandruff shampoo (nothing else will do) at least twice a week.

For the past three weeks I've been doing a coconut oil/dandruff shampoo wash at 50:50 ratio. I rinse it out really well, use a bit of Suave Naturals conditioner to comb out the few odd remaining tangles and finish it off with an ACV rinse.

When I tried this the first time I expected my scalp to rebel, especially because coconut oil on my scalp has always given me problems (itching, flakes). However, quite to my surprise, no dandruff or scalp breakouts. So far so good, and my length is soft! Perhaps the difference is that the shampoo and ACV get rid of the excess oil and it doesn't sit there on the scalp long enough to cause damage.

I hope this helps!
Your response helps a lot because I planned on using the EVCO with dandruff shampoo. I am glad you have had a good experience so far.
How have you used the ACV, near your scalp?

Thanks! :)

Xandergrammy
March 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
My experience is that none of the three situations occurred for me. I actually think my scalp is happier with the coconut oil. I tend to have very dry scalp and skin.

HuggyBear
March 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
[/quote]I too have experienced acne from using it too close to my scalp, so I also use it on the ends.
I worry about the pore clogging/acne you describe- this was also on the scalp right?
Did you shed?[/quote]

My acne was on the scalp around my hairline. Seemed like it took forever to go away. It was too bad because I also liked to use EVCO in my honey lightening tx but have since changed to EVOO. I didn't notice any extra shed while using it though.

x0h_bother
March 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
I too have experienced acne from using it too close to my scalp, so I also use it on the ends.
Did you shed?

My acne was on the scalp around my hairline. Seemed like it took forever to go away. It was too bad because I also liked to use EVCO in my honey lightening tx but have since changed to EVOO. I didn't notice any extra shed while using it though.
Oh good, that's a relief that you didn't experience shedding. I'd be sure to not work on my hairline then, probably concentrate on my crown which does get quite flaky by my natural part. I'm not certain but I don't think my hair likes EVOO.

lunache
March 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hi -glad to be of help!

I put about 1/8 cup ACV in an empty liter-sized conditioner bottle and fill it up with warm water. I add a few drops of mint essential oil. (I don't think this part is crucial - it just smells nice and refreshes the scalp.) And pour the whole thing over my scalp and length after rinsing out all the conditioner. The smell of ACV goes away after the hair dries.

I really hope the dandruff shampoo/coconut oil work out for you!!! It's been the most amazing thing that's happened to my hair.

Do I sound like a coconut oil zealot? I feel like I'm proselytizing...but I do really mean it ;)

veggiechick
March 2nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
I really hope the dandruff shampoo/coconut oil work out for you!!! It's been the most amazing thing that's happened to my hair.

Do I sound like a coconut oil zealot? I feel like I'm proselytizing...but I do really mean it ;)

What kind of dandruff shampoo do you use?

Kaeita
March 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I haven't noticed any of those reactions while using coconut oil in shampoo, and I also use it as a face/body wash while it's in my hair. However, I can also slather on tablespoons full of coconut oil all over hair and body and not have a problem.

Some people seem sensitive to coconut oil, reporting irritated skin, blocked pores and breakouts. If even minimal amounts of coconut oil cause these reactions, it's probably best not to use it.

All you can really do is test it on yourself, and see what the result is. The shampoo you use can affect the results, as will clarifying before using the oil shampoo, and most use an acid rinse, such as dilute vinegar (acv or white vinegar) or dilute lemon juice or similar.

teela1978
March 2nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
I don't do coconut oil shampoo, but I often do a heavy coconut oil pre-wash oiling. I've never had any problems. I used to use coconut oil for OCM on my face, and still use it on my face as a moisturizer sometimes. Some people do have problems with acne and such, it works fine for me.

mellie89
March 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I shed less when I use oil shampoo than when I do a regular S&C or CO. That is especially odd, since coconut oil by itself makes me shed like mad!

It's definitely worth a try. It's a really interesting washing method!

Angel_099
March 3rd, 2011, 06:22 AM
I recently discovered VCO when I decided I wanted to get some to try oiling my hair with. It has been the BEST thing I have ever bought for my hair or skin!! I did over-do it on my hair the first time and had to wash a second time to get it out...but it left me with super soft hair and skin! It has made my dandruff and acne (face and body) completely vanish. I wish I would have known about this years ago. It has also made my stubborn exema dissapear! My skin NEEDS this stuff!I am surprised to hear that others have had bad experiences with it on their skin. My only thought on that (after reading for days and days on the many health benefits of VCO) is that sometimes your skin may get worse when you start using it because it works to detoxify...after a short while that should subside and you will see for yourself how incredible it is. Read up on it. I guess rarely people are allergic to it, but from what I have read most are not. I also use it on my babies' skin and haven't had any problems. My son has athlete's foot and after using it on that for only a couple days there was a very noticeable improvement...and it is healing it. Just sharing my thoughts/experience with this. Hope it helps.:)

x0h_bother
March 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
I recently discovered VCO when I decided I wanted to get some to try oiling my hair with. It has been the BEST thing I have ever bought for my hair or skin!! I did over-do it on my hair the first time and had to wash a second time to get it out...but it left me with super soft hair and skin! It has made my dandruff and acne (face and body) completely vanish. I wish I would have known about this years ago. It has also made my stubborn exema dissapear! My skin NEEDS this stuff!I am surprised to hear that others have had bad experiences with it on their skin. My only thought on that (after reading for days and days on the many health benefits of VCO) is that sometimes your skin may get worse when you start using it because it works to detoxify...after a short while that should subside and you will see for yourself how incredible it is. Read up on it. I guess rarely people are allergic to it, but from what I have read most are not. I also use it on my babies' skin and haven't had any problems. My son has athlete's foot and after using it on that for only a couple days there was a very noticeable improvement...and it is healing it. Just sharing my thoughts/experience with this. Hope it helps.:)
I think it's probably a matter of skin type, like oil production and pore size. That's why I wanted to ellicit help from those who have a similar scalp condition- I figured they could have a similar experience to me.

Hiriel
March 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
My dry flakies improved hugely when I started coconut oil shampoo, but I don't think they were caused by dandruff, I think it was dry skin, which needed the coconut oil. And I'm fairly sure not everyone has problems using coconut oil as a moisturiser, by the way. Skin care can be just as individual as hair care.

Speedbump
March 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
I personally have had less shedding and improved scalp condition, including less itching and flaking. I have a dry scalp naturally. I don't know what it would be like for someone with a normal/oily scalp. :)

HTH! Speedy

ktani
March 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
People can and did react to coconut oil on their scalps. It was more of an allergic reaction but that can very in type and there were not many reports of this happening.

I did this post for that, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1307992&postcount=185.

And there are other high lauric acid oils as possible alternatives too, See number 13, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191.

A few people who did react to coconut oil on their scalps simply used the oil shampoo on their length instead of using an alternative high lauric acid content oil.

lunache
March 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
What kind of dandruff shampoo do you use?

Hi veggiechick - I use any of Garnier's 2-in-1 dandruff shampoos (Canada) - I find they work great in conjunction with the Coconut Oil...but it my not work well on those sensitive to SLS's (there are two) and to 'cones.