PDA

View Full Version : lace braid..attempt

Elainehali
June 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I did the "lace braid" from http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/

Or... kinda. I seem to always make a french type braid into a dutch. For some reason I just can't french braid...:confused:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/elainehali/06-11-08_1745.jpg

Gumball
June 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Looks great to me! Fantastic dutch lace braid! :) I think if you wanted a french one it's just a matter of altering the way you hold the hair with your fingers when braiding so the hair goes over instead of under. Maybe this is an opportunity to check how you do it in the mirror just to see where you could switch it up?

Cloverleaf
June 11th, 2008, 06:16 PM
You did a good job - I'm impressed!

spidermom
June 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Sometimes I have to really focus on every movement: "right strand over center strand, add some more hair to left strand and cross over center strand, right strand over center strand," and so forth. That would give a french-style to the lace braid. There are times when I let my mind wander all around while I'm attempting to braid and I end up with something different from what I intended. This is especially likely if I'm trying something different from my usual routine.

PS: That's a lovely underhand projected (Dutch) lace braid, just beautiful in your hair.

kwaniesiam
June 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Ooh, that's so pretty! I've never been able to pull off a lace braid, just doesn't work with my hairtype. What do you do with the extra tail on the end? I always get confused when trying those.

DotDotDot
June 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM
That's gorgeous! Wow, I could never in my life pull anything like that off. It looks great. :)

hurricane_gia
June 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Even if it's not how you intended it to look, it is lovely!

P.S. What kind of hair toy are those blue shinies in your hair?

DecafJane
June 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
That is very pretty! I love that colour in your hair. :)

psvzum
June 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
It looks so pretty!!! Great job : )

Elainehali
June 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Ooh, that's so pretty! I've never been able to pull off a lace braid, just doesn't work with my hairtype. What do you do with the extra tail on the end? I always get confused when trying those.

This time I put the rest of my hair up in a bun and wrapped the braid around the base of it.

Even if it's not how you intended it to look, it is lovely!

P.S. What kind of hair toy are those blue shinies in your hair?

The blue dots are a hair thing I made myself. Basically they are just pretty plastic pieces used in mosaics. They stick to braids and other updos becuase I put velcro on the back. Very simple to make.

coppercurls
June 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Wow, that is so pretty! Want to come to my house & braid? I have all sorts of interesting doo dads that we can decorate the braids with.;)

Phalaenopsis
June 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Ooh, very pretty! I've tried it too, but I can't get it soo pretty like yours!

jel
June 12th, 2008, 03:02 AM
It looks beautiful! To me, Dutch braids are prettier than French (or is it because I can't do them as easily as French ones?).

You're braver than me with the velcro-backed shinies, though! They don't get totally stuck in your hair? Do you slide them off, or can you just pick them up from where you've put them?

AprilElf
June 12th, 2008, 03:08 AM
That looks really pretty. :)
Even though it ended up Dutch you still have the lacing effect.
I still can't French braid yet either, so I feel your frustration.

FrannyG
June 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Oh, that's just beautiful. I honestly think that Dutch lace braids are prettier than French lace braids. You did a wonderful job, and what a lovely thick braid you have!

Katze
June 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
wow, what a beautiful hairdo! So smooth and shiny, and those blue thingies look beautiful with your hair color. :D

susiemw
June 12th, 2008, 04:51 AM
The blue dots are a hair thing I made myself. Basically they are just pretty plastic pieces used in mosaics. They stick to braids and other updos becuase I put velcro on the back. Very simple to make.

Your braid looks great.

the velcro hair toys you make.... they don't ever fall out?
Which part of the velcro, (the loop side or the hook side)do you attach to the toy? And do you use both pieces of velcro... you put the hair toy in and they put the other side of
the velcro behind your hair & the hair toy?

I can tell I don't function well on three hours of sleep. I just can't quite wrap my mind around how this is working but I want to because it is just genius! Very creative idea.

Susan

Sherri
June 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I would love to be able to do this hairstyle but alas i am not coordinated enough. I think it would be better than a headband. It looks wonderful on you!!! When I read the direction it was like blah, blah, blah :D lol

Islandgrrl
June 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Elainehali, that's incredibly pretty! I can't wait to try (imagining little sticky outy ends everywhere)...

holycannoli
June 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
The fact that you can do that sideways kind of braid on your self is kind of amazing! Nice job!

burns_erin
June 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Good Lord that's lovely, and I am so jealous, I can only do French braids never Dutch, I guess between us we would make a whole braiding person, haha.

Elainehali
June 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM
You're braver than me with the velcro-backed shinies, though! They don't get totally stuck in your hair? Do you slide them off, or can you just pick them up from where you've put them?

They really dont get stuck in my hair. (Some of that may be due to my hair type though.) The trick to getting them out is to take down the updo, and then they just slide right out.

Your braid looks great.

the velcro hair toys you make.... they don't ever fall out?
Which part of the velcro, (the loop side or the hook side)do you attach to the toy? And do you use both pieces of velcro... you put the hair toy in and they put the other side of
the velcro behind your hair & the hair toy?

I can tell I don't function well on three hours of sleep. I just can't quite wrap my mind around how this is working but I want to because it is just genius! Very creative idea.

Susan

Well, Susan =P I use the hook side only. (Save the loop side to make a display board. It keeps them organized and out of the vacuum cleaner.) I havent had any luck getting the jewels to float in my hair when it's loose. They only stay in updos. While they may shift position a little, I rarely have them fall out. Sometimes I even get large rocks to stick. I have some pics of updos with rocks in my album.

eresh
June 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Very beautiful!!

Aaaah so that's the trick...
I used velcro yesterday to add a silly bow in my bun but it was a pain to get it out again.

SearMeCarefully
June 26th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Way nice! I want to try this so bad.. I'm scared my hands fall off and my hair knots all up when I try to do a simple french braid halfway down my head! lol baah

nissamholtz
June 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
That looks very nice

cheekytweety
June 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Looks very pretty

mommy2one05
June 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I would like to learn how to do this braid.
That looks so nice!!!

susiemw
June 28th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Well, Susan =P I use the hook side only. (Save the loop side to make a display board. It keeps them organized and out of the vacuum cleaner.) I havent had any luck getting the jewels to float in my hair when it's loose. They only stay in updos. While they may shift position a little, I rarely have them fall out. Sometimes I even get large rocks to stick. I have some pics of updos with rocks in my album.

I just found this thread again. Thanks for responding. i think your idea is so creative... and so is using the other half of the velcro for a display board. That is so smart. Thanks for posting. I've been wanting to come up with different "ornaments" and decorations for my braids and this is ideal. thank you thank you thank you!

Susan

mommy2one05
June 29th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Any advice on how to accomplish this on yourself?
I can do a normal french braid but doing it at that angle is hard.
Evertime I try I get messed up and my hair gets all tangled!
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shorty89
June 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
That looks really pretty. I'm the opposite of you. I can french braid just fine, but I have trouble dutch braiding. I admire your lace braid. My lace braids always end up twisting.

yogachic
June 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Very pretty. I have the opposite problem, I can't dutch braid. You must be braiding under, not over.

Little_Bird
June 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM
It looks so good!!

I sometimes do that on my sister's hair, it's a very beautyfull feminine style! I really like it :)

You did it very well! I can't even tell what's wrong with it, looks perfect to me! Congratulations! Do wear it out :D

paper
June 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I did the "lace braid" from http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/

Or... kinda. I seem to always make a french type braid into a dutch. For some reason I just can't french braid...:confused:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/elainehali/06-11-08_1745.jpg

That is gorgeous! Love your hair color and those beads, just beautiful.

morgwn
June 30th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Lovely hairdo. I'm afraid to even make an attempt at that yet, as I've just barely figured out how to do a dutch braid! :)

Fencai
June 30th, 2008, 07:03 AM
that looks great! good job!

mommy2one05
June 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
any tips on how to do this?
I read the instructions from the link and even printed them out.
When I was trying with my hair early today before I washed I kept failing, but I don't know where I am going wrong.
Either way french or dutch - you are only supposed to add hair on one side ?

Elainehali
June 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM
yeah you add hair from the side closer to your face, not the other side.

I also find it's helpful to lean your head to one side so that the hair falls in the direction you're braiding. That should help with keeping it detangled.