PDA

View Full Version : Curly Haired (only) Women- Share your regimine!

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
I started this thread in hopes of learning other methods of a good regimine. Maybe even with the same women having the same problems i am. Sorry for any exclusions, I figured i would give a thread for 3a+ curly haired women to talk. I have 3a/3b-F-i hair and excessive shedding has been going on for the last 4 years. I am showing overal balding/Shedding. This isnt just season but has constant 24/7 365. I have seen a doctor and dermatologist 3 times. In that time i have tried 12 different shampoos and conditioners to help try to find the right one that works for me. Anything from scalp massaging oil, to rogaine ( wich i will never ever use again) not so sure about nioxin cause soon as i stopped that too my hair started sheddign again. I jsut cant afford it all of the time. So after all that damaging I went back to WEN cleansing conditioner whcih is the only one i have found yet that doesnt require excessive use with numerous products. I stopped putting oil in as an over night treatment which made things worse. However, i figure i can still use it once a week or twice for two hours and then wash normally.

Monday - Cleansing Conditioner (co-wash)
Wednesday - Theraputic Oil for scalp/Cleansing Conditioner (co-wash)
Friday - Cleansing Conditioner (co-wash)

I use a Silk Pillowcase w/ satin sleep cap, however, i might lay off the cap for a while. While it protects my hair from damage, it also pastes my hair to my head if i leave it loose. its not long ehough to put it up in a bun or pony tail nor is it thick enough.

virgo75
March 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hi Lady;

I'm sorry to hear about your shedding problems and hope that you're able to find a solution soon. :flower:

I don't have a set regimen, but it's pretty consistant.

I shampoo and condition almost daily.
I try skipping days but I don't like my hair 2nd day so I usually don't.

I use a variety of shampoos & conditioners but my most consistant right now is Nexxus Therappe Shampoo and Humectress Conditioner. When my hair is towel dried I use Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner as a leave-in. Also, when I have time I mix some conditioner with some oil(coconut or evoo) and put that in my hair for a while before I shampoo.

I don't co-wash because it makes me lose tremendous amounts of hair. And I don't use gels or mousse because my hair does NOT like styling products. They make it dry out and break off. But I've been getting pretty good definition with the Nexxus & Paul Mitchell. :cheese:

I usually braid my hair up at night in 1 or 2 braids after wetting my hands with water, passing them over my hair and following up with a dollop of leave-in conditioner. Sometimes I get 2nd day hair, sometimes I don't.

That's it for now. I can't wait to see others' regimens too. :)

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Lady;

I'm sorry to hear about your shedding problems and hope that you're able to find a solution soon. :flower:

I don't have a set regimen, but it's pretty consistant.

I shampoo and condition almost daily.
I try skipping days but I don't like my hair 2nd day so I usually don't.

I use a variety of shampoos & conditioners but my most consistant right now is Nexxus Therappe Shampoo and Humectress Conditioner. When my hair is towel dried I use Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner as a leave-in. Also, when I have time I mix some conditioner with some oil(coconut or evoo) and put that in my hair for a while before I shampoo.

I don't co-wash because it makes me lose tremendous amounts of hair. And I don't use gels or mousse because my hair does NOT like styling products. They make it dry out and break off. But I've been getting pretty good definition with the Nexxus & Paul Mitchell. :cheese:

I usually braid my hair up at night in 1 or 2 braids after wetting my hands with water, passing them over my hair and following up with a dollop of leave-in conditioner. Sometimes I get 2nd day hair, sometimes I don't.

That's it for now. I can't wait to see others' regimens too. :)

From other posts i have read, they have said that washing your hair everyday is not good especially ones that have curly hair and or products that contain SLS and Cones. I have excessive shedding no matter what i do.

virgo75
March 1st, 2011, 03:57 PM
From other posts i have read, they have said that washing your hair everyday is not good especially ones that have curly hair and or products that contain SLS and Cones. I have excessive shedding no matter what i do.

Yes, I've read what is supposed to be good for hair and what is supposed to be bad.

Unfortunately, none of the things that are supposed to be "good" (co-washing, avoiding shampoo, skipping days, avoiding cones, etc.) work for my hair and scalp.

I co-washed for a year and a half. During that time I lost 5-10 hairs everytime I touched my hair. And that's besides the 100 or so I would lose every day when I detangled and the extra 50 or more that I would lose when I washed.(yes, I counted my hairs) My hair was brittle and dry on the ends and my scalp was flakey. :nono:

What's extra funny is that I read on curly hair sites that all this "moisture" is supposed to make your curls more defined, but mine just disappeared. I had fluffly undefined hair. And as I said in the previous post I can't use gel or mousse because it dries my hair to the point of breaking even if I use a leave-in.

I don't pretend that it works for everyone, but my scalp likes to be washed daily. When I don't, I shed more and my scalp itches. My hair also seems to get better moisture when I wash. I think it can't absorb it if it's got conditioner residue on it even when that residue doesn't contain cones. But that's just my hair. :shrug:

We all have to find what works for us and I hope you're able to find what works for you. :)

lunache
March 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hi! Fellow curly head here!

I wash twice weekly with a 50/50 blend of dandruff shampoo and coconut oil, condition with Suave. After washing I use a coney serum (Orgnx Moringa Oil Complex alone or mixed with Prairie Naturals Silica Serum) on dripping wet hair. I air dry and when it's about 80% dry I put more coconut oil.

I sleep with it in a braid and oil it every night with more coconut oil (sometimes mixed with shea butter) combed through with a wood comb.

Throughout the day, my hair is in a Flexi-8 or hair fork bun, covered under a scarf (for religious reasons). I wear it loose at home.

If I oil regularly, my curls are loose but manageable (i.e., not "deflated") and easy to detangle.

That's it so far, but it's a work in progress... and I'm always looking for inspiration from other curly heads :)

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Hi! Fellow curly head here!

I wash twice weekly with a 50/50 blend of dandruff shampoo and coconut oil, condition with Suave. After washing I use a coney serum (Orgnx Moringa Oil Complex alone or mixed with Prairie Naturals Silica Serum) on dripping wet hair. I air dry and when it's about 80% dry I put more coconut oil.

I sleep with it in a braid and oil it every night with more coconut oil (sometimes mixed with shea butter) combed through with a wood comb.

Throughout the day, my hair is in a Flexi-8 or hair fork bun, covered under a scarf (for religious reasons). I wear it loose at home.

If I oil regularly, my curls are loose but manageable (i.e., not "deflated") and easy to detangle.

That's it so far, but it's a work in progress... and I'm always looking for inspiration from other curly heads :)

I dont have the ability to braid it and wear it to bed with all that oil as my hair is Fine and thin. some of the oils dont like my hair makes em all clumpy. I have found that most store bought brands make my hair dry WEn is the only one so far.... that gives it moisture. I will have more adventures to go on and soon i hope to find my personal regimine. I cannot leave in oils over night on my scalp for it creates more shedding. but i can leave it in for 2 hours at most and then wash it out. The excessive drying from store bought brands made my hair dry anc krinkly although never knew twhy that never was when i was growing up used suave all the time as a kid. maybe i should go back to it?

11eleven
March 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
I just wanted to commend you on the choice of your thread title. It is refreshing to see the topic of curly hair being named exactly for what it is without hurtful stereotypes. That is all! :cheer:

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM
I just wanted to commend you on the choice of your thread title. It is refreshing to see the topic of curly hair being named exactly for what it is without hurtful stereotypes. That is all! :cheer:

Thank you! :) i just got bored with how well things work when its only 90% women with straight hair that have fullness, thickness, and body :) (no offense intended)

krissykins
March 1st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hello fellow curly :D This is my routine:

Wednesday: CO wash with Suave Naturals condish. dry with cotton T-shirt.

Saturday: castor oil/coconut oil on scalp, coconut oil on length. CO with V05 condish. dry with cotton T-shirt.

I use a satin pillowcase and braid my hair when I sleep. I detangle with a wooden comb or my Tangle Teezer (whichever one decides to make itself known... sigh). I wear my hair in updos everyday.

I'm sorry I have no advice about your shedding problem, but I hope it improves :flower: good luck!

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hello fellow curly :D This is my routine:

Wednesday: CO wash with Suave Naturals condish. dry with cotton T-shirt.

Saturday: castor oil/coconut oil on scalp, coconut oil on length. CO with V05 condish. dry with cotton T-shirt.

I use a satin pillowcase and braid my hair when I sleep. I detangle with a wooden comb or my Tangle Teezer (whichever one decides to make itself known... sigh). I wear my hair in updos everyday.

I'm sorry I have no advice about your shedding problem, but I hope it improves :flower: good luck!

Right now im getting my hair or trying to to the length you have with fullness however im going to post some pictures in a few of what mine looks like after i use a difuser to dry it after a shower. lol dont laugh :karma2: :)

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM
Im also going to look in Henna from as many posts as i see about it on the forums on how it helps the overall of the hair and helps it grow lucious and thick i might just give it a try :) cant really damage it anymore than i think i already have :) although if u look at the pictures i have one length taht doesnt match the rest so i might have to have it cut we'll see.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/darkice_realm/0301011825.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/darkice_realm/0301011824a.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/darkice_realm/0301011823.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/darkice_realm/0301011824.jpg

krissykins
March 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
Your curls are adorable! Although a trim might be in order. There is definitely some thinning.

Do you take vitamins, by chance? I take Country Life Maxi Hair vitamins as part of my regimen as well :)

Kimberly
March 1st, 2011, 11:48 PM
My routine is not what anyone would recommend for curly hair, but it works for me. I recently ended a year and a half long stint of WO, which was the only thing that could control the wild frizz of major regrowth (literally half of my hair fell out after some major surgery, but eventually some grew back). Now that the new hairs are long enough to lie down with the others, I'm using Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta shampoo and conditioner, usually about once a week. I could go twice as long, but I like washing my hair and the smell of the conditioner. I don't comb it anymore, and after a shower just sort of scrunch it in my hands a bit and leave it alone. It dries best if I go for a walk! I use a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush on it to detangle, but usually not until a day or two after washing. It tangles horribly, because it is very light and fine. Mostly I wear it up because of that, but down as much as I can get away with because I like looking at it. My hair is sort of unusual, in that if I leave it alone and especially if there is any humidity at all it will reform curls. When I want to go all out, I brush it til it is a huge frizzy mass, spritz it with a little rosewater, scrunch it a little, and forget it ... In a few hours, it makes itself into fat ringlets and it looks like I have twice as much hair. It also mysteriously reforms curls overnight while braided ... Not waves, but curls. Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure not going to complain. Midweek it straightens out some, especially in dry air, but as it greases itself up the curls come back.

I had given up on my lost hair growing back, but it started to after about five years. I hope yours grows, too!

dfotw
March 2nd, 2011, 03:43 AM
You have some lovely curls, WickedLady!

I'll share my routine, for what it's worth.

Sunday and Wednesday: wash my hair with a ChagrinValley shampoo bar (my fave is Olive&Babassu, but I'm trying others), then detangle with my TangleTeezer and a handful of cheap, cone-free conditioner (I'm using Carrefour's own brand now), rinse with a herb-infused ACV, and then use my leave-in (a small amount of The Body Shop's Rainforest Moisture hair butter mixed with Rainforest Shine conditioner). Wrap in an old t-shirt while I dry off, spread a bit of coconut oil on the length, then put inside my sleep cap and go to sleep.

Other days: detangle with my cheapie conditioner and TangleTeezer, rinse off, add leave-in, dry in t-shirt, coconut oil, then put in sleep cap. If I'm going to use a shampoo bar the following day and I have free time, oil my hair a couple of hours before I wash with coconut and castor oil. If my ends are feeling rough, put on a bit of Nightblooming Panacea on them.

Every couple of months, I use Lush Caca Noir/Brun henna (leave it on up to 12 hours) to thicken and make my hair shinier. Every couple of weeks (or, when I remember) I do a beer rinse. When my hair was dry, I did an SMT every Sunday, but now I find I don't need it.

Also, I used to shed enough hair to make a pingpong-ball-sized hair-ball when I used sulfates, silicones and a comb in the shower. Now, I shed only a handful of hairs even if I've worn my hair loose for hours and I have to detangle a lot in the shower.

Hope some of this helps, and that your shedding stops! :)

WickedLady
March 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
Your curls are adorable! Although a trim might be in order. There is definitely some thinning.

Do you take vitamins, by chance? I take Country Life Maxi Hair vitamins as part of my regimen as well :)

i take hair skin and nail vitamins from the vitaminshoppe

WickedLady
March 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
My routine is not what anyone would recommend for curly hair, but it works for me. I recently ended a year and a half long stint of WO, which was the only thing that could control the wild frizz of major regrowth (literally half of my hair fell out after some major surgery, but eventually some grew back). Now that the new hairs are long enough to lie down with the others, I'm using Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta shampoo and conditioner, usually about once a week. I could go twice as long, but I like washing my hair and the smell of the conditioner. I don't comb it anymore, and after a shower just sort of scrunch it in my hands a bit and leave it alone. It dries best if I go for a walk! I use a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush on it to detangle, but usually not until a day or two after washing. It tangles horribly, because it is very light and fine. Mostly I wear it up because of that, but down as much as I can get away with because I like looking at it. My hair is sort of unusual, in that if I leave it alone and especially if there is any humidity at all it will reform curls. When I want to go all out, I brush it til it is a huge frizzy mass, spritz it with a little rosewater, scrunch it a little, and forget it ... In a few hours, it makes itself into fat ringlets and it looks like I have twice as much hair. It also mysteriously reforms curls overnight while braided ... Not waves, but curls. Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure not going to complain. Midweek it straightens out some, especially in dry air, but as it greases itself up the curls come back.

I had given up on my lost hair growing back, but it started to after about five years. I hope yours grows, too!

For some reason i tried not brushing it after a shower but if i dont it stays clumped and matted. and if i wait till after it dries it turns in to a frizzbal of mess. so i have to brush it but i turn myhead upside down to do it and then scrunch it and dry with a diffuser. my hair is to thin to dry by itself and not become flat.

virgo75
March 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
I love your curls!!! :)

Looks like you have the same straighter area at the nape of the neck that I have.
Mine hangs down too.
When my hair was your length and even a little past I always kept the nape area cut shorter than the rest.
If I didn't it would hang down and look like I had on a curly wig with straight hair hanging out the back. :lol:

You must normally have extraordinarily thick hair because for all of your shedding your hair looks to be a normal thickness.

TwilightBloom
March 2nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
You have beautiful curls, and your hair does still look thick, I went through a shedding phase last year, I lost a lot of hair, still don't know why, but i suspect it is due to my pcos, and insulin resistance. A friend of mine whom is a hair dresser, told me to start taking biotin, so I did, and it has stopped my shedding dramatically. I also started doing massages on my scalp, and I can tell I have new growth.. Yay.. Finding LHC and all the wonderful people here has helped me so much. My hair is getting healthier all the time, and I feel that i have hope again.
So don't fret, I hope very much your shedding stops, and I can't wait to see your hair once it gets long, it is beautiful now, and those curls are wow..:thud::agape: Good luck..

Anywhere
March 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
I'm a 2a so I'm not technically curly, so I won't share my routine. However, there is a whole thread the Wurly and Curly Thread!!! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369)that has 400+ pages of information, some of which includes routines, just in case you want to see what has worked/didn't work for some women or just want more answers. :)

HTH.

WickedLady
March 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
thank you all for the wonderful comments :) just to update i went to the dermatologist today and decided to have a small scalp biopsy done to get further information as to weather or not it is medical related or it just a natural way of life that tends to happen for some women. The biopsy is in two weeks. I will still keep the routine to keep my hair healthy however if it does turn out to be a normal thing then I will have to consider rogaine if nothing else works. I know it is not the best way since i will have to use it for the rest of my life it will still be good to know what is really going on and take the stress off of me. I do plan to get my hair trimmed and cleaned up since it does have a bit of uneveness to it. I will have to look at the calendar cycle for cutting hair before i do it to make sure i get it cut at the exact right time. :)

WickedLady
March 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
You have beautiful curls, and your hair does still look thick, I went through a shedding phase last year, I lost a lot of hair, still don't know why, but i suspect it is due to my pcos, and insulin resistance. A friend of mine whom is a hair dresser, told me to start taking biotin, so I did, and it has stopped my shedding dramatically. I also started doing massages on my scalp, and I can tell I have new growth.. Yay.. Finding LHC and all the wonderful people here has helped me so much. My hair is getting healthier all the time, and I feel that i have hope again.
So don't fret, I hope very much your shedding stops, and I can't wait to see your hair once it gets long, it is beautiful now, and those curls are wow..:thud::agape: Good luck..
I try. The thickness look is just body used by a blowdryer with a difuser on it :)

Siava
March 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
I don't have a regular regimen really. I will say I do not do the plopping and scrunching and all of that stuff unless it's a special occassion. I'm a little OCD in respect to not wanting any tangles in my hair. 2nd day curly hair drives me crazy because I can't deal with knowing there are tangles. I have to, no, not have to, NEED TO, work them out. All of the snapping and popping makes me cringe.

For the most part, my regimen consists of washing, twisting or braiding, and going to sleep. Then it goes up in a bun or whatever the next day. On days I wear my hair down, I'll wash it in the morning and blow-dry it on cool or finger comb until it's mostly dry.

I love having curly hair... on my terms. The curls do not get set free everyday.

WickedLady
March 2nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
I don't have a regular regimen really. I will say I do not do the plopping and scrunching and all of that stuff unless it's a special occassion. I'm a little OCD in respect to not wanting any tangles in my hair. 2nd day curly hair drives me crazy because I can't deal with knowing there are tangles. I have to, no, not have to, NEED TO, work them out. All of the snapping and popping makes me cringe.

For the most part, my regimen consists of washing, twisting or braiding, and going to sleep. Then it goes up in a bun or whatever the next day. On days I wear my hair down, I'll wash it in the morning and blow-dry it on cool or finger comb until it's mostly dry.

I love having curly hair... on my terms. The curls do not get set free everyday.

When my hair was longer i loved plopping and scrunching my hair :) cant wait to get back to that point again

Gypsy Librarian
March 2nd, 2011, 08:06 PM

I agree with you completely. I rarely wear my hair down because I don't like doing all the stuff that goes along with it. For it to look good curly, I need to wash it in the morning before I get ready and scrunch and plop. It's pretty, but it can be a pain. I wear it up almost all the time. I can't do second day hair either, it always looks terrible to me!

GypsyGoddess
March 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
My hair is wavy/curly, and I am responsible for my husband's hair (mixed-race super curly thick awesome amazing hair I want to steal)...

I keep it simple because I know he won't put a lot of time or effort into it.

He condition-washes with Suave or V05 daily, and I have a sulfate free shampoo on hand that he uses maybe once or twice a month. I have told him he is only to comb his hair when it is wet and full of conditioner and when he dries it to "scrunch" it dry instead of rubbing it. For gel, we use plain Aloe Vera gel (clear and alcohol free) which he puts in his hair when it is still dripping wet.

I follow the same routine myself but I shampoo much more often than he does because I occasionally use styling products on my bangs.

Bellatrix
March 2nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
The more I towel dry my hair, or blow dry it, etc, the more the curls are disturbed and the more frizzy my hair becomes.

So letting my hair drip dry is key to having defined, frizz-free curls, for me.

I wash with a sulphate free shampoo and follow with a silicone free conditioner. Sometimes I henna.

Seharia
March 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
I find that the less i do to my hair the better it looks! so my routine is very simple just bs/acv wash with some conditioner on the ends and then i scrunch it a bit while it is drying. I wash my hair every other day. My curls have to air dry all the way or else they look terrible so i have to shower in the morning if I'm going to wear my hair down.

Copasetic
March 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
I don't have a set routine either. But generally I wash and condition with coney products on one day, then do nothing for a day or two afterwards. This is hard though because my hair looks terrible during the days after I wash. I style with various leave-ins, curl creams, and gels; all coney.

cuticom
March 2nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
It took me a while to find what works best, I have apl 3a hair that is moving towards (or probably is) 3b.

I wash twice a week.
I shampoo with pantene's hydrating curls shampoo
Then condition with hydrating curls conditioner, detangle it with a wide toothed comb and let it sit for a couple of minutes
Then I condition with pantene's moisture renewal intensive treatment conditioner and let sit for a few minutes
I rinse out with hot water because the conditioners are very heavy and then blast it with the coldest water I can get.

Then I squeeze the water out(I don't dry it with anything) and coat my hair in Schwarzkopf's extra care nutri-protect leave in conditioner. And fluff the roots up while its sopping. It takes about two and a half hours to dry into well formed ringlet curls.

At night I finger comb it out and I put it into twin cinnamon buns tied with a thick terry elastic to protect the ends. This gives fairly decent curls in the morning.

The night before I wash it I give it a really good comb out starting with a wide tooth comb and ending up with a fine tooth comb, as I'm dealing with serious shedding and it clogs the shower if all that loose hair comes out when I'm washing it, I also finger comb morning and night. I'll normally also wear it in a braid the night before I wash it with tonnes of conditioner on the ends.

Most days I wear my hair in a peacock twist, accented with a spider hair clip or similar. Or if it's a bad hair day I tie it in a high bun and pin a victorian lace veil fall over it (oh the things one can get away with when one is goth)

MonaLisa65
March 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
WickedLady, do you use tap water? Colorado Springs apparently has either really soft or very hard water, depending on where it's from.

My area has only moderately hard water, but it was giving me terrible itching and flakes, and I've read that it can cause breakage and block your follicles. For about 2 months now, when I started using club soda (to break up the mineral deposits already on my hair) and distilled water rinses (to prevent new buildup) my flakes and itches are gone and it seems like the thinned spots at my temples have more baby-hairs sprouting up.

This of course might not be your problem at all, but maybe it's something to rule out, at least....

Siava
March 3rd, 2011, 06:18 AM
When my hair was longer i loved plopping and scrunching my hair :) cant wait to get back to that point again

The results can be absolutely gorgeous. Happy growing. :)

WickedLady
March 3rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
The more I towel dry my hair, or blow dry it, etc, the more the curls are disturbed and the more frizzy my hair becomes.

So letting my hair drip dry is key to having defined, frizz-free curls, for me.

I wash with a sulphate free shampoo and follow with a silicone free conditioner. Sometimes I henna.

speaking of henna i might look in to that. i hear such good things about it. Does it have traces of hemp product in it?

WickedLady
March 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
It took me a while to find what works best, I have apl 3a hair that is moving towards (or probably is) 3b.

I wash twice a week.
I shampoo with pantene's hydrating curls shampoo
Then condition with hydrating curls conditioner, detangle it with a wide toothed comb and let it sit for a couple of minutes
Then I condition with pantene's moisture renewal intensive treatment conditioner and let sit for a few minutes
I rinse out with hot water because the conditioners are very heavy and then blast it with the coldest water I can get.

Then I squeeze the water out(I don't dry it with anything) and coat my hair in Schwarzkopf's extra care nutri-protect leave in conditioner. And fluff the roots up while its sopping. It takes about two and a half hours to dry into well formed ringlet curls.

At night I finger comb it out and I put it into twin cinnamon buns tied with a thick terry elastic to protect the ends. This gives fairly decent curls in the morning.

The night before I wash it I give it a really good comb out starting with a wide tooth comb and ending up with a fine tooth comb, as I'm dealing with serious shedding and it clogs the shower if all that loose hair comes out when I'm washing it, I also finger comb morning and night. I'll normally also wear it in a braid the night before I wash it with tonnes of conditioner on the ends.

Most days I wear my hair in a peacock twist, accented with a spider hair clip or similar. Or if it's a bad hair day I tie it in a high bun and pin a victorian lace veil fall over it (oh the things one can get away with when one is goth)

never heard of a lace veil before. My hair is much to thin to finger comb when i try the hair gets stuck around my fingers and clumpy so i use a wide tooth comb brushing upside down adn then scrunch and dry with a difuser for my ringlets. sleep with a satin cap on however my hair isnt that great in the morningand i cant have it up all the time. I just bought a silkpillowcase so i'll see how that works out.

WickedLady
March 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
WickedLady, do you use tap water? Colorado Springs apparently has either really soft or very hard water, depending on where it's from.

My area has only moderately hard water, but it was giving me terrible itching and flakes, and I've read that it can cause breakage and block your follicles. For about 2 months now, when I started using club soda (to break up the mineral deposits already on my hair) and distilled water rinses (to prevent new buildup) my flakes and itches are gone and it seems like the thinned spots at my temples have more baby-hairs sprouting up.

This of course might not be your problem at all, but maybe it's something to rule out, at least....

I am not sure if we have hard water or not i usually dont itch comign out of the shower, but i know when i was living in minot nd for 8 years it was very hard water. I'll have to look in to that. I might try the apple vinegar rinse.

cuticom
March 3rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
never heard of a lace veil before. .

They aren't exactly sold in stores, it's like a miniature bridal veil that pins over a bun, that drops down in tiers and pins over a bun, oh and it's black. But it's comfy and it makes you feel like you have a pony tail, plus it completely covers your ends/bun and protects you hair.

WickedLady
March 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
They aren't exactly sold in stores, it's like a miniature bridal veil that pins over a bun, that drops down in tiers and pins over a bun, oh and it's black. But it's comfy and it makes you feel like you have a pony tail, plus it completely covers your ends/bun and protects you hair.

Yea but doesnt having your hair up all the time cause it to break as well and brittle?

curlymarcia
March 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
My regime is: I use a shampoo containing tomato, gingsen, aloe vera, jojoba oil, etc. I dont use any conditioner. I use aloe vera gel or flax seed gel for styling. I use a hair mask and a keratin spray once a week. Sometimes, I add chamomile or honey to the shampoo.

GRU
March 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
My hair's a lot longer than yours is so far, so take all this with a grain of salt...

My routine on mornings I wake up on time:

Remove sleeping top-knot.
Remove jammies.
Turn on and get into the shower.

Wet hair thoroughly.

Apply Suave Naturals Tropical Conditioner to scalp and length.

Scrub scalp thoroughly with conditioner.

Using wide-toothed comb (and adding more conditioner as needed), starting at the ends, detangle the hair until wide-toothed comb will pass freely from scalp to ends (while hair is still saturated with conditioner).
Continue with other showerly duties.

Rinse hair.

Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (approx. 1 tablespoon (15ml) of ACV in about a liter of wate). I keep a water bottle filled with ACV in my shower with a huge plastic cup stored upside down on top of the bottle. This way I never have to remember to make my ACV rinse before getting into the shower (I am *not* a morning person!).

Dump ACV mix over hair and scalp.

Do a haphazard rinse (I probably remove about half of the ACV).

Turn off shower.

Apply a small amount of conditioner* to one hand, then rub hands together and smooth conditioner over and into hair on top of head. Hair is still quite wet at this point, so this conditioner ends up being thinned out quite a bit.

Squeeze water out of length (use hands to make a fist over sections of length to squeeze out the water -- no twisting!).

Apply a larger amount of conditioner* to the length, making sure to distribute completely (add more conditioner if needed to reach all the way to the ends). Squeeze excess moisture out as needed.

Comb through with shower comb again. I find this helps to align my curls and get them to clump up better than if I let them do their own thing after applying conditioner.

Do a modified plop into a Turbie-Twist.

Get out of shower.

Remove gerbil of shed hair from the Hair Stopper.

Rinse off the Hair Stopper.

Rinse off the bottom of the tub so the next person doesn't accidentally do the unintentional splits.

Close shower curtain.

Scrunch hair through the Turbie-Twist to absorb excess moisture.

Remove Turbie-Twist.

Use an old t-shirt to turban hair, putting hair inside the shirt like a huge sock.

Put on undies and socks.

Remove t-shirt turban, turn around to the other (dry) side, and re-turban hair.

Put on pants and shirt.

Put on shoes.

Remove t-shirt turban.

Shake head a little.

Walk out door.

My routine on mornings I don't wake up on time:

Detangle with Tangle Teezer.

Apply oil or Panacea Hair Salve.

Brush with Tangle Teezer to distribute oil/salve.

Put hair up in bun with a hairstick.

Use aloe vera gel to get the sticky-outy parts to lie flat (hopefully).

Remove jammies.

Put on undies and socks.

Put on pants and shirt.

Put on shoes.

Walk out door.

* = I usually just use the same conditioner that I washed with (Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut) as my leave-in, but lately, thanks to the suggestion of some of the lovely ladies here at LHC, I've been adding glycerin and oil to my conditioner that I leave in (I still wash with plain conditioner). I just used one of my color applicator bottles to mix up a batch of conditioner+glycerin+oil so I don't have to mix it up from scratch every time.

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM
My hair's a lot longer than yours is so far, so take all this with a grain of salt...

My routine on mornings I wake up on time:

Remove jammies.
Turn on and get into the shower.

Wet hair thoroughly.

Apply Suave Naturals Tropical Conditioner to scalp and length.

Scrub scalp thoroughly with conditioner.

Using wide-toothed comb (and adding more conditioner as needed), starting at the ends, detangle the hair until wide-toothed comb will pass freely from scalp to ends (while hair is still saturated with conditioner).
Continue with other showerly duties.

Rinse hair.

Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (approx. 1 tablespoon (15ml) of ACV in about a liter of wate). I keep a water bottle filled with ACV in my shower with a huge plastic cup stored upside down on top of the bottle. This way I never have to remember to make my ACV rinse before getting into the shower (I am *not* a morning person!).

Dump ACV mix over hair and scalp.

Do a haphazard rinse (I probably remove about half of the ACV).

Turn off shower.

Apply a small amount of conditioner* to one hand, then rub hands together and smooth conditioner over and into hair on top of head. Hair is still quite wet at this point, so this conditioner ends up being thinned out quite a bit.

Squeeze water out of length (use hands to make a fist over sections of length to squeeze out the water -- no twisting!).

Apply a larger amount of conditioner* to the length, making sure to distribute completely (add more conditioner if needed to reach all the way to the ends). Squeeze excess moisture out as needed.

Comb through with shower comb again. I find this helps to align my curls and get them to clump up better than if I let them do their own thing after applying conditioner.

Do a modified plop into a Turbie-Twist.

Get out of shower.

Rinse off the bottom of the tub so the next person doesn't accidentally do the unintentional splits.

Close shower curtain.

Scrunch hair through the Turbie-Twist to absorb excess moisture.

Remove Turbie-Twist.

Use an old t-shirt to turban hair, putting hair inside the shirt like a huge sock.

Put on undies and socks.

Remove t-shirt turban, turn around to the other (dry) side, and re-turban hair.

Put on pants and shirt.

Put on shoes.

Remove t-shirt turban.

Shake head a little.

Walk out door.

My routine on mornings I don't wake up on time:

Detangle with Tangle Teezer.

Apply oil or Panacea Hair Salve.

Brush with Tangle Teezer to distribute oil/salve.

Put hair up in bun with a hairstick.

Use aloe vera gel to get the sticky-outy parts to lie flat (hopefully).

Remove jammies.

Put on undies and socks.

Put on pants and shirt.

Put on shoes.

Walk out door.

* = I usually just use the same conditioner that I washed with (Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut) as my leave-in, but lately, thanks to the suggestion of some of the lovely ladies here at LHC, I've been adding glycerin and oil to my conditioner that I leave in (I still wash with plain conditioner). I just used one of my color applicator bottles to mix up a batch of conditioner+glycerin+oil so I don't have to mix it up from scratch every time.

you must have really thick long curly hair :) if i walked out of the house after doign that my hair would be flat and frizzy by the time i came home.

Belisarius
March 4th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Well, as a curly haired man I now feel compelled to share my regime.:p
Since I am lazy I don't shower that often. But when I do, I use CO. I often apply a little evoo or just the conditioner as a leave-in. Sometimes I shower in the evening and afterwards apply a lot of evoo as a deep treatment.

CurlyZ
March 4th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Does anyone here put gel in the hair before plopping or is the leave in conditioner enough to bring your curls in shape?
I've realized that gel makes wonderful curls, but I don't like to use it because of the "stiffness" it creates...

kitschy
March 4th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Does anyone here put gel in the hair before plopping or is the leave in conditioner enough to bring your curls in shape?
I've realized that gel makes wonderful curls, but I don't like to use it because of the "stiffness" it creates...
I use my leave in, then squish about a quarter size dollop of LA Looks Sport gel. I never get crunch - I think the leave in conditioner first helps with that.

CurlyZ
March 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I use my leave in, then squish about a quarter size dollop of LA Looks Sport gel. I never get crunch - I think the leave in conditioner first helps with that.

Do you mix the gel with the conditioner or apply it on top of it?

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM

I really love your curls and the body and thickness they look wonderful

kitschy
March 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Do you mix the gel with the conditioner or apply it on top of it?

CurlyZ, I apply gel over my leave-in. I use Sally's GVP version of Biolage Balm for my leave-in then apply the gel over the top and squish it all in - then I plop or terry-turban for about 20 minutes.

I really love your curls and the body and thickness they look wonderful

Thank you, WickedLady. I think your hair is really cute. When my hair is that length, I look like Carrot Top.

GRU
March 4th, 2011, 09:38 AM
you must have really thick long curly hair :) if i walked out of the house after doign that my hair would be flat and frizzy by the time i came home.

The only way I can get my hair "flat" is if I dump a quart of motor oil on it! :lol:

My hair really isn't all that thick (I need to change my qualifier to a ii instead of ii/iii after a medical-related shed), but the curls create a lot of "sideways volume" when dry.

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM
The only way I can get my hair "flat" is if I dump a quart of motor oil on it! :lol:

My hair really isn't all that thick (I need to change my qualifier to a ii instead of ii/iii after a medical-related shed), but the curls create a lot of "sideways volume" when dry.

how did you recover from the shedding? it still looks like its really thick.

GRU
March 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM
how did you recover from the shedding? it still looks like its really thick.

That's because my pictures are all from last year! :D

I've just recently gone back on some medication I had discontinued, and the shedding seems to have abated as a result.

I think that even if my thickness was only i, though, it still wouldn't "look" thin because of the curl-volume-effect.

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 09:42 AM
CurlyZ, I apply gel over my leave-in. I use Sally's GVP version of Biolage Balm for my leave-in then apply the gel over the top and squish it all in - then I plop or terry-turban for about 20 minutes.

Thank you, WickedLady. I think your hair is really cute. When my hair is that length, I look like Carrot Top.

Thank you Kitschy, :) What i want to do is get my hair to be like yours as I too am dealing with massive shedding. I have "female pattern balding" going on from my bangs area all down the sides of my head to the back and on my crown.

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 09:43 AM
That's because my pictures are all from last year! :D

I've just recently gone back on some medication I had discontinued, and the shedding seems to have abated as a result.

I think that even if my thickness was only i, though, it still wouldn't "look" thin because of the curl-volume-effect.

what medication was it that stopped the shedding?

CurlyZ
March 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=kitschy;1505235]CurlyZ, I apply gel over my leave-in. I use Sally's GVP version of Biolage Balm for my leave-in then apply the gel over the top and squish it all in - then I plop or terry-turban for about 20 minutes.

Thanks for the tip!
I just looked at your album - your hair is gorgeous!
Is that your natural haircolor? VEEERY pretty!!!!

GRU
March 4th, 2011, 09:54 AM
what medication was it that stopped the shedding?

It wasn't that the medication stopped the shedding, but rather my discontinuation of the medication was what *started* the shedding in the first place.

The medication involved isn't something that just anyone should be taking, like a vitamin or other supplement. It's a prescription medication for a diagnosed condition.

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM
It wasn't that the medication stopped the shedding, but rather my discontinuation of the medication was what *started* the shedding in the first place.

The medication involved isn't something that just anyone should be taking, like a vitamin or other supplement. It's a prescription medication for a diagnosed condition.

lol wish i had some maybe it would stop my shedding :) i'll do some reading on henna too

jesis
March 4th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I wash my hair every day or every other day unless I straighten it (bad I know, but I only do it every couple of months) then I can go about 7 or 8 days. I wash and condition with Redken's Real Control. It has shea butter in it and I have really noticed a difference in my hair since I started using it. I usually comb in the shower while I have my conditioner in. I start styling my hair promptly when I get out of the shower. I use Argan oil and Redken's curl cream, which has sunflower oil it. Then I let it air dry!

At night sometimes I will use a little coconut oil or a little bit more Argan oil.

Every now and then I will do a honey-evoo treatment, but I did notice a lot of lightning. So even though I love it, I can't do it that often anymore.

I do S&D's every other week or so and I clarify every other week or so as well.

:)

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I wash my hair every day or every other day unless I straighten it (bad I know, but I only do it every couple of months) then I can go about 7 or 8 days. I wash and condition with Redken's Real Control. It has shea butter in it and I have really noticed a difference in my hair since I started using it. I usually comb in the shower while I have my conditioner in. I start styling my hair promptly when I get out of the shower. I use Argan oil and Redken's curl cream, which has sunflower oil it. Then I let it air dry!

At night sometimes I will use a little coconut oil or a little bit more Argan oil.

Every now and then I will do a honey-evoo treatment, but I did notice a lot of lightning. So even though I love it, I can't do it that often anymore.

I do S&D's every other week or so and I clarify every other week or so as well.

:)

doesnt the oil weigth your hair down? I wknow if i put oil on my hair it will become greasy and weighed down unless im using it wrong? I know when i put oil on my scalp for a massage that majorly makes it greasy and i have to wash it out in order for me to style my hair. but i have really curly and really thin hair.

kitschy
March 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks CurlyZ. Yep, that is my natural color. I'm going gray now so I have multiple strands of varying color - and all sorts of different curl patterns going on - but it's my unique hair and after years of self hatred, I've finally come to appreciate my hair.

I can't wait to see pictures of your hair. Get some up as soon as you can. ;)

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
ok so i went to the hennaforhair website and downloaded the reading material for henna as it talks about how to mix, how much to mix, and what you need to mix to get the color that you want from the color you have now. This will be a hit or miss for me since i cant visualize what the colors will turn out as so I want to buy some of the henna mix but i cant tell the difference from that and cassia. As it says in the instructions for dark brown hair you mix henna and indigo but for glossy brown hair you just use cassia is that right or am i reading that wrong. I think im going to henna from now on :) how often should i henna?

WickedLady
March 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
speaking of which, will henna affect my biopsy on my scalp??????????? if not im going to order it for next weekend if it does then i will postpone it.

anthonyswife
March 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I really liked WEN when I used it but can't afford it anymore. I really hope you're able to find something that helps your shedding!

I shed like crazy but I always have my whole life, I've never noticed any thinning from it, thankfully.

My routine isn't really a routine anymore. I'm trying too many different things! I've tried traditional s&c (of course) and CO in the past, right now I'm doing CWC and I think I like it best. Usually I do a castor/coconut oil soak for at least an hour before I wash (I put the castor on my scalp only, coconut all the way to the ends). Right now I'm using up some old Suave Humectant s&c that we have, combined with Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner for the second "C". I rinse with diluted lemon juice and use glycerin and a little coconut oil as a leave in. Tonight I'm going to try a beer rinse for the first time. :)

I'm a bit hesitant to suggest this as it sounds like your scalp might be pretty sensitive, but have you tried Shapley's MTG? A lot of women have had success with it as a growth catalyst, my sister-in-law included (she had lost a lot of hair as a medication side-effect, and MTG helped her regain her thickness). If you decide to look into it, please be sure to do a patch test first! It contains sulfur which is a skin irritant, and some people (myself included) are very sensitive to it.

WickedLady
March 5th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I really liked WEN when I used it but can't afford it anymore. I really hope you're able to find something that helps your shedding!

I shed like crazy but I always have my whole life, I've never noticed any thinning from it, thankfully.

My routine isn't really a routine anymore. I'm trying too many different things! I've tried traditional s&c (of course) and CO in the past, right now I'm doing CWC and I think I like it best. Usually I do a castor/coconut oil soak for at least an hour before I wash (I put the castor on my scalp only, coconut all the way to the ends). Right now I'm using up some old Suave Humectant s&c that we have, combined with Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner for the second "C". I rinse with diluted lemon juice and use glycerin and a little coconut oil as a leave in. Tonight I'm going to try a beer rinse for the first time. :)

I'm a bit hesitant to suggest this as it sounds like your scalp might be pretty sensitive, but have you tried Shapley's MTG? A lot of women have had success with it as a growth catalyst, my sister-in-law included (she had lost a lot of hair as a medication side-effect, and MTG helped her regain her thickness). If you decide to look into it, please be sure to do a patch test first! It contains sulfur which is a skin irritant, and some people (myself included) are very sensitive to it.

isnt that a sort of horse conditioner?

WickedLady
March 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
well im getting my hair trimmed today caues its uneven in the layers. Not changing the length just getting the split ends cut. After today i'm going to be following the lunar hair cycle in hopes that will improve progress. I am still using WEN becuase my hair loves it havent found anything else just as good yet.

GRU
March 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Henna questions are best suited for the henna threads in the Recipes forum.

Medical/biopsy questions are best suited for your health care provider.

freecelt
March 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Rinse off the bottom of the tub so the next person doesn't accidentally do the unintentional splits. I lol'd- mostly because it's true :pMy routine such as it is: Suave SLS free poo on scalp. "Milk" suds through length(CO didn't work for my scalp). Heavy conditioner left in for a few minuets. Most of the time I wear it up so I comb and put it up. If I'm going to leave it down I use aloe and some times a bit of coconut oil when it's wet, scrunch a little bit and let dry. I wash every 2 or 3 days and wear my hair contained most of the time at night.

cuticom
March 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Yea but doesnt having your hair up all the time cause it to break as well and brittle?

Can't see why it would? because of the curls a bun holds with just two bobby pins, then an additional bobby pin to hold the fall over the top. If I'm putting it up in a bun I leave extra leave in conditioner in so I get gorgeous soft curls when it comes out. My hair gets dry if I wear it out all the time, and there's a tonne of breakage then, but I haven't had it happen when it's up...

EbonyCurls
March 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Washing

- Before washing, I detangle dry hair with fingers (gets rid of most of the shed hair). I do this over a stopped sink, section by section. Then I scoop up the ball of shed hair and trash it.

- Soak hair in shower and divide into two section. Glop V05 conditioner on each half and detangle under shower stream, combing through with my Mason Pearson rake.

- When hair is perfectly smooth and detangled, I put another glob of V05 on each half and comb/slick all hair back from the forehead so that it's dangled straight down the middle of my back. Massage Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo into scalp and scrub.

- When scalp is clean, comb conditioner and shampoo out of hair, underneath the shower stream (the streaming water keeps the hair detangled and smooth)

- Divide rinsed hair in half and apply Biolage Hydrotherapy conditioner to each half. Comb through, put up in bun, and cover with shower cap. I finish bathing, then rinse hair.

Styling

- divide wet hair in half
- apply Giovanni direct leave-in conditioner to each half and comb through
- apply Biolage rock hard gelee to each half and comb through
- comb all hair back, rake through with fingers to separate, then scrunch. Air dry.

varintalonguard
April 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
I wash once a week usually with a shampoo bar but I condition almost every night with coconut oil or conditioner.

I pat my hair to get the excess water out of wrap it for less than 5 minutes in a towel. I comb it somtimes but often just finger comb to de-tangle.

I sleep with my hair in a braid or a bun.

At least once a week I do a deep oiling before I shower.

I mist my hair all day long with either water or an aloe vera/condish mix or just plain water.

Intotouch
April 3rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hi. I have had terrible problems with shedding too. My hair is one eighth of it's width from my childhood! ( I still have my plait from then) I am hoping that the recent reduction in shedding will last. It is heartbreaking when this happens and projecting into the future with this trend is awful. The first time i had huge sheds i didn't get medically checked out. Then when eventually i found out what was wrong with me I thought that this shedding was because of having PCOS but since i've managed to balance my hormones at last i found out that i also had anemia which could cause this. So my routine starts with food and vitamins. I eat a low GL diet, as much as possible. For the last month i have seen big improvements in shedding.

In the morning i eat porridge mixed with stewed fruit, honey and cinnamon. For lunch i eats soups. I buy them in M and S. It means i get lots of veg and water in one go. I snack on scones and jam or dark chocolate with tea in the afternoon. My dinner is always based on potatoes, mashed with lots of green leafys or cruciferous, fried onions, sometimes carrots and then meat or fish and another veg. I have a glass of pure juice before dinner. I am trying to remember to chop carrots to nibble while i walk. (A habit that's easy to do with an apple)

I take two zinc vitamins with vit c and brewers yeast in the morning. In the evening i take one female multiple, one omega 3 fish oil, one cod liver oil, three iron, and brewers yeast. The zinc and iron are to help prevent shedding. I had some symptoms of zinc deficiency too.
The rest are for general health.

I do the condition, wash, condition system. I use Naked colour shampoo and Herbal Essenses hello hydration conditioner. I finger comb my dry hair (slowly) before i wet it. This is to get it all going the one direction as well. (It's floaty and tangly sometimes) I pat the damp hair with a towel and apply conditioner to the length and then shampoo to the scalp. I rinse, pat it dryer, apply conditioner again and then comb though with a wooden afro comb. I pat it with a towel again, spray with an ACV solution, wrap it up in a towel for a while and then let it air dry. Every ten days or so i try a deep conditioning treatment but i've been making my own and i make it different each time. My next will be avocado and coconut oil. After it dries i'm still drying to figure out the best oil to use to protect the ends. I think that rapeseed has been the best for me so far. I use a satin sleep cap that helps with tangles except of course when my boyfriend stays over. After which i have to beg forgiveness from my hair.

WickedLady
April 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I lol'd- mostly because it's true :p
[/list]My routine such as it is: Suave SLS free poo on scalp. "Milk" suds through length(CO didn't work for my scalp). Heavy conditioner left in for a few minuets. Most of the time I wear it up so I comb and put it up. If I'm going to leave it down I use aloe and some times a bit of coconut oil when it's wet, scrunch a little bit and let dry. I wash every 2 or 3 days and wear my hair contained most of the time at night.

which aloe?

WickedLady
April 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Hi. I have had terrible problems with shedding too. My hair is one eighth of it's width from my childhood! ( I still have my plait from then) I am hoping that the recent reduction in shedding will last. It is heartbreaking when this happens and projecting into the future with this trend is awful. The first time i had huge sheds i didn't get medically checked out. Then when eventually i found out what was wrong with me I thought that this shedding was because of having PCOS but since i've managed to balance my hormones at last i found out that i also had anemia which could cause this. So my routine starts with food and vitamins. I eat a low GL diet, as much as possible. For the last month i have seen big improvements in shedding.

In the morning i eat porridge mixed with stewed fruit, honey and cinnamon. For lunch i eats soups. I buy them in M and S. It means i get lots of veg and water in one go. I snack on scones and jam or dark chocolate with tea in the afternoon. My dinner is always based on potatoes, mashed with lots of green leafys or cruciferous, fried onions, sometimes carrots and then meat or fish and another veg. I have a glass of pure juice before dinner. I am trying to remember to chop carrots to nibble while i walk. (A habit that's easy to do with an apple)

I take two zinc vitamins with vit c and brewers yeast in the morning. In the evening i take one female multiple, one omega 3 fish oil, one cod liver oil, three iron, and brewers yeast. The zinc and iron are to help prevent shedding. I had some symptoms of zinc deficiency too.
The rest are for general health.

I do the condition, wash, condition system. I use Naked colour shampoo and Herbal Essenses hello hydration conditioner. I finger comb my dry hair (slowly) before i wet it. This is to get it all going the one direction as well. (It's floaty and tangly sometimes) I pat the damp hair with a towel and apply conditioner to the length and then shampoo to the scalp. I rinse, pat it dryer, apply conditioner again and then comb though with a wooden afro comb. I pat it with a towel again, spray with an ACV solution, wrap it up in a towel for a while and then let it air dry. Every ten days or so i try a deep conditioning treatment but i've been making my own and i make it different each time. My next will be avocado and coconut oil. After it dries i'm still drying to figure out the best oil to use to protect the ends. I think that rapeseed has been the best for me so far. I use a satin sleep cap that helps with tangles except of course when my boyfriend stays over. After which i have to beg forgiveness from my hair.

I finally found out my diagnosis as well after seeing the dermatologist and having a biopsy done. Doc said it was Chronic Telogen Enflluvium Alopecia. Im taking caltrate chew + zinc + biotin + St. johns Wort + Iron in the morning. and then teh same at night except for the zinc and i take a multi at night. I started using the 'Kiss me Whenever' Shampoo and conditioner. It smells great but my hair never gets oily now so it feels dry. I do ACV 2 times a week since i am not sure if that is causing my dryness and frizzyness. I'm picking up casteroil today if i can remember lol i'm just unsure if i should get coconut oil or almond oil and ihave yet to see almond oil in teh store. I dont deep condition because im not sure what to use.

Intotouch
April 5th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hi. I'm not sure what's causing your dryness either. It's hard to guess with health issues as well. A large part of mine was sulphates in shampoos and protein build up. I only know this now because i came on here and seemed to have those symptoms. Maybe look at the article on the home page about damaged hair?

For diet and hair i know that if you google hair and diet you'll get lots of information.

As for deep conditioning there are millions of recipes. Maybe ask more experienced long hairs. I'm still experimenting. I had a nice experience with olive oil and banana (blend it for ages or use baby food banana or you'll get bits in your hair). Then soak your hair in the mix, wrap it up in plastic/shower cap and then a hot towel for a while. (i did an hour) then shampoo out. Coconut oil was not great for me but rapeseed oil is. But that may be just me.

Firefox7275
April 6th, 2011, 05:25 PM
There is an article on hair and nutrition in the Articles section which is worth reading.