PDA

View Full Version : fine/thin, greasy hair and a coconut allergy...

StormVixen
March 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
One of my male friends REALLY wants to grow his hair longer, he is between chin and "BSL" right now... but most of it is ending where he ponytails it at the nape... I think its damage from an evil looking brush he had so i bought him a tangle teezer and told him to get hair bands with no metal... anyway...

his hair gets greasy the day after he washes and from what i've read here the shampoos with cocobetain (sp?) and other chemicals made from coconuts (i think) are the best to use for this hair type... but he is allergic to coconuts... so can anyone recommend any products ?

I dont know what advise to give him really, his hair is LUSH and has so much potential... Please help me help him :D

oh I do have an S&D date with him, he has loads of splits and faery knots...

cheers my dears xXx

Kumiko033
March 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM
What I've seen that works for my male friends and boyfriend is mostly head&shoulders. It's fresh, keeps flakes away but it is chemical. Also what is a very simple shampoo is the Nivea for Men, does contain SLS and some versions Dimethicone but it is great for easily greasy hair.

Also indeed keep the mean rush away and let him use his natural oils in a benefitial way by letting him get a boar bristle brush which is also great for fine hair. It promotes hair growth, makes the greas not stick to your head.

linnepinne
March 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
The product that has helped me with my greasies is Rhassoul Clay. Link for some info: http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/04/19/what-is-rhassoul-clay--amp-why-is-it-ideal-for-naturally-cleaning-skin--amp-hair.htm

The other thing that has been somewhat successful for me is CO.

And another tip for him: He should try not to fiddle with his hair to much between washes. Just brush hair in the morning and make a protective updo. Leave the hair alone fot the whole day. Then brush one more time and make a protective (and comfortable!) do for sleeping in (I like french or english braid/s)

When i stick to these three methods/products, I only need to wash my hair every 3-4 days. And I have tried many other things that just made my hair even greasier.

I wish you both good luck!

linnepinne
March 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM
Also indeed keep the mean rush away and let him use his natural oils in a benefitial way by letting him get a boar bristle brush which is also great for fine hair. It promotes hair growth, makes the greas not stick to your head.

I just want to add that this does not work for all fine haired people. A BBB is a total disater for me, because it just makes my hair look even greasier! My hair looks best if the oils stay close to the scalp, otherwise it just gets piecy, lank and stringy.

Intransigentia
March 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Another thing is, is he wearing the ponytail with the elastic in the same place every day? That can do a really good job of breaking off hairs just from repeated friction, even if the elastic has no metal. If he would be comfortable wearing it in a single braid down the back instead of a ponytail, he could have the breakage down on the last couple inches, instead up at the nape. Plus fewer tangles.

Kumiko033
March 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
It probably works for everyone differently, a good friend of mine uses this method with extremely fine hair and it looks good when she does this.

HintOfMint
March 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
That's so cute to have an S&D date!

Kaeita
March 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Has he tried CO or no-poo methods? Often, too much washing, or using extra-strength shampoos to try to fight greasiness only results in more sebum being produced in an attempt to restore balance. If you stop stripping the hair, it doesn't have to produce as much sebum to replace what's gone. Gentler cleaning methods help immensely and, in my case at least, very quickly. You haven't mentioned whether he has straight or curly hair.