PDA

View Full Version : What Do Non LHC People Think Of Fairy Tail Ends

Dragon
March 1st, 2011, 03:08 AM
What do people you no think of fairy tail ends?

Othala
March 1st, 2011, 03:12 AM
My family think it is just straggly, wispy hair that is in desperate need for a cut because it looks so untended.

milagro
March 1st, 2011, 03:25 AM
I joined recently and I would think them thin and/or unkempt, I guess I would think rather witch than fairy, of a fairytale :)
But after I've seen so many pictures of beautiful fairytailed manes here I begin to find them pretty and unique. So I believe most people are just not used to the sight of it.

alwayssmiling
March 1st, 2011, 03:38 AM
Well I love fairy tale ends, and did before LHC but didn't know they had a name until I came here. To me I think of folky-ness, medieval hair or a pre raphaelite painting, lady of shallot.

My daughter had fairy tale ends last year and it inspired me to grow my hair to waist, it looked so pretty.

nellreno
March 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM
I think most people wouldn't like it because it's not like the hair you see in shampoo ads (ya know, fake). It seems like the average person has the idea that healthy hair is supposed to be smooth and not a hair out of place and very clean cut ends, though for a lot of people that's not *natural* hair.

I like fairytale ends, especially on wavy and curly hair. Since my hair is thinning I don't know if it would look better fairytaled or with a blunt cut.

Athena's Owl
March 1st, 2011, 06:26 AM
I don't know - mostly because I don't care to ask, and they don't volunteer their opinions.

I don't mind a blunt cut or a tapered cut or a cut that has been allowed to grow out naturally, so long as it looks well-kept.

Phexlyn
March 1st, 2011, 06:30 AM
My family think it is just straggly, wispy hair that is in desperate need for a cut because it looks so untended.
Same here. :rolleyes:

Copasetic
March 1st, 2011, 06:32 AM
I have no idea. I don't think there is a uniform opinion on them within the LHC.

Nini
March 1st, 2011, 07:39 AM
I would imagine some like them, and some don't, much like anything else;)

Yamainu
March 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
I know used to hate it before I came here - I thought it looked scraggly and unkept. I much preferred blunt - or even U or V - hemlines, no matter the length.

Seeing the wonderful ladies here is starting to change my mind, but I still cringe a bit.

BabyRay33
March 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
I see them as very renaissance festival-ish, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think my hair is better suited to blunt ends, but that is simply my opinion.

getoffmyskittle
March 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
I've had fairy tale ends before and I've gotten tons of compliments on my hair with it like that. I'm sure some people don't like it and just don't say anything, but plenty think it's pretty.

luxepiggy
March 1st, 2011, 08:23 AM
My suspicion would be that most of them don't really notice one way or the other. I never would have thought to look specifically at someone's hemline pre-LHC . . . it wasn't even on my radar! (^(oo)^)

SpinDance
March 1st, 2011, 08:32 AM
I can't speak for others, but I have seen some that look fantastic, and some that don't. I don't like them on me, at least now, because the ends are just too thin compared to the mass of hair around my shoulders. Not that my hair is particularly thick, it's not, just fluffy.

Angeletti
March 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM
I'm sure the majority of non-LHC people think they are damaged, scraggly ends because for the most part people perceive blunt hemlines the accepted way to wear hair in society. My family and a few people I know have only confirmed this way of thinking, telling me that I need to cut my ends. I find fairytale ends can be beautiful at times, I love anything to do with fairies in general and when I think of fairies with long beautiful hair I don't picture them with blunt hemlines, fairytale ends are more of a natural type of look.

MissEarlGrey
March 1st, 2011, 08:50 AM
Personally, I really don't care for the look. I think it makes the rest of your hair look bad. It looks thin, weak, and unkempt. I prefer a blunt hemline.

Amraann
March 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
I like fairytale ends.

1hunky5monkeys
March 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
I've never had a negative comment on my FTE.
I was at the gas station last week and a young man told me that I had the most beautiful hair he had ever seen. :)

Siava
March 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM
My suspicion would be that most of them don't really notice one way or the other. I never would have thought to look specifically at someone's hemline pre-LHC . . . it wasn't even on my radar! (^(oo)^)

Same here.

elbow chic
March 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't even have had a vocabulary to talk about them with so it wouldn't have crossed my mind to think they were particularly bad or good.

There was a girl at my high school with classic-length untrimmed straight hair who everyone said had "ugly hair" and needed to "take six inches offa that mess."

I never thought it was ugly myself, but figured the other girls probably knew more about hair than me. Looking back, it probably wasn't particularly damaged, just not as blunt as people expected.

lascuba
March 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Depends on the hair in question. For me, there's a not-very-fine line between fairy-tale ends and just plain thinning ends that "need" to be cut. But that's my bias...I would love to have a thick hemline, which I don't think is possible for my hair.

Fethenwen
March 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
I think most people wouldn't like it because it's not like the hair you see in shampoo ads (ya know, fake). It seems like the average person has the idea that healthy hair is supposed to be smooth and not a hair out of place and very clean cut ends, though for a lot of people that's not *natural* hair.

I like fairytale ends, especially on wavy and curly hair. Since my hair is thinning I don't know if it would look better fairytaled or with a blunt cut.
My guess would be this also.

pink.sara
March 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
I don't really like them.
I have only ever seen one person I thought it looked good on (spiral classic curls) and didn't like it when mine started to fairytale at classic because of damage and not trimming. I felt scruffy.

But then I like everything to be sharp and definite, from hair colours to clothing, my favourite flowers are tulips or example because they look so perfect they are a bit surreal.
I'm not really a soft, floaty, dreamy kind of girl and that's what FTE make me think of!

Smile4Kiki
March 1st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Honestly before LHC I thought tapered wispy ends were in need of a cut. But if it was particularly healthy it didn't even cross my mind that it was just naturally that way more so that it purposely done (via layers etc.) Now I have warmed up to them and find them particularly beautiful on curly/wavy hair.

GlennaGirl
March 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
On very long hair I think they look natural. On shorter hair I do think of damage, unfortunately.

Ais
March 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
I think it's like everything - it's a matter of personal taste, and of course there's variation within the hemline itself, some people have really beautiful FTE, but it can sometimes look a little damaged. I think it depends on the person wearing them too - I don't dress in a manner that lends itself to FTE, so I'd look quite weird with them, but my mother would pull them off spectacularly should she choose to grow her hair. It's a matter of personal taste, style, and of course if you need to trim or not!

sakuraemily
March 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
I don't like them. They don't look healthy I think.

HintOfMint
March 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Not even people on LHC have a consensus. Some people love it, some hate it. I think the difference is, here we are more conscious of hurting someone's feelings and there's a general air of acceptance even if we don't dig it.

leslissocool
March 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM
My husband loves them. I love to see them, some people here have just gorgeous hair, specially some that have fairy tales! But personally, now that I am starting to get them, after my no trims on 2011 challenge I think I will be cutting off about 2-4 inches so that it does not look too "raggedy". I do have some damage left that I have been dying to cut off, so thats a plus for me.

Although I do agree, there is a line between fairy tale ends and just damaged unkept hair. And I think most people can tell if your fairy tale ends just look too thin and too brittleand well just damaged. I don't think I have seen any fairytale ends like that in LHC, again I :agape: lurk around and see some gorgeous medieval hair and I just love it!

Anje
March 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
My mom tended to use the word "scraggly" to describe what she saw as too-tapered ends.

It doesn't help that many of the fairytale ends you see "in the wild" are so because that's how they broke off.

enfys
March 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
On very long hair I think they look natural. On shorter hair I do think of damage, unfortunately.

Prettymuch the same here. Without seeing closely enough to tell if there are actual split ends, and even that's a push, to the typical layman I doubt there is a big enough difference between these two things.

To me, it's case by case. I don't want them myself, but that doesn't mean they don't look great on some people.

bluesnowflake
March 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM
I know people who think, and in fact I used to think, that fairytale ends were just unkempt, non-trimmed hair.I think that's how some people who don't take care of their hair at all end up, and it gives fairytale ends a bad rep.However, once I came to LHC and saw some of the gorgeous fairytale hair my opinion is different. If they are well taken care of and not damaged or breaking, they can be beautiful.

Jinglelocks
September 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
(Sorry to revive an older thread, I don't know if that's considered permissable forum etiquette on here or not. I wanted to make a thread on this topic, but it would be redundant to make a thread identical to this one just to avoid thread necromancy! :) )

I agree with what HintofMint said. With tremendous respect to those who choose this hemline. This is just my opinion and holds very little weight.

In most cases, I find “fairy tale” ends to be not a happy ending. I think they look unfortunate and untended. The nickname is cute, and it brings to mind pretty pictures, but the end result is not nearly as pretty as the name. When I showed a handful of my friends pictures of long hair with fairy tale ends, I asked neutrally, “What do you think of this hair?”

The answer was pretty unanimous, three of them actually said, “Eeew”. (Which I think is a bit unfair, because the pictures I showed them I deliberately chose because the hair was healthy.) The picture of very curly long hair with fairy tails was received best, they agreed it was beautiful. :thumbsup:

That said, there are always wonderful exceptions and I love being pleasantly surprised.

Aeris
September 29th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I am going to make a generalized guess here:

If the person has a soft spot for fantasy, knights in shining armor and maidens, Waterhouse paintings, or the 60s, I think they would be more likely to like fairytale ends. But really, outside of that, I think a lot of people would see it as scraggly, or call the person a hippie.

I like them on wavy/curly hair that is waist or longer, personally (and I happen to love Waterhouse and renaissance festivals). They remind me of wildflowers, in a good way.

jaine
September 29th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I always thought they were pretty and I envied people who had wispy ends. I think that's because my own hair has always been so puffy and huge, all the way to the ends, and I wanted it to be more flat and wispy, like an elf...

spidermom
September 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I've seen a lot of people around LHC rock the FTE. I especially like the look on curly hair, but only when the taper is gradual. Thick hair to waist followed by a few strands longer is an aesthetic harder for me to appreciate.

My daughter, her friend, and our hair stylist all "hate" FTE.

swearnsue
September 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I love some FTE, it depends on the total look. I think the nice ones look very graceful and down-to-earth.

KwaveT
September 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I am one of those that thinks that it depends on the person. FTE can look very good on some people and others it just looks unkempt. I am probably going to let my hair do this though. I already kind of got a tail on my hair at the short length I am at now.

owlathena
September 29th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I agree with spidermom, I think some people can really pull them off. But when there is ever a drastic change in thickness, it looks damaged. I'm somewhere between blunt and FTE. I have a "v" hemline, where the longest bit fairytales but the shorter hair on the sides is cut blunt :shrug:

Jinglelocks
September 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM
@Aeris: Interesting idea. I adore renaissance festivals, fantasy, elves, faeries, etc - but usually do not like real life fairy tale ends.

ssjhotau2
September 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I like them for the most part. As some have said- so long as the taper is gradual and the hair itself is healthy.

MaryRose
September 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Before LHC, I thought of them as unkept. After being on LHC, I think that they are very lovely, and can't wait until I have fairy tails of my own.

archel
September 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I think if they are well kept and gradual, they look really nice on wavy and curly hair. My hair is not wavy enough to pull it off though and is already fine, so I think I need to keep mine blunt if I can.

Foxy_Booker
September 29th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Prior LHC I used to watch movies like lord of the rings where they have very medieval hair styles and I remember thinking that their hair could be beautiful if they just trimmed up those ends because I felt like it looked unkempt but now I see their beauty and feel like I "understand" them now. When I see them I think about princesses now haha.

Ermine
September 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM
It depends on the hair texture, thickness, and the nature of the fairytale ends. I tend to favor them on wavy to curly hair, not too fine or thin. Also looks better if the hair thins gradually and it doesn't look frazzled. But I definitely wouldn't want my own hair to have fairytale ends. It's too fine and I need all the thickness I can get, so blunt hemlines for me.

WinterButterfly
September 30th, 2011, 01:22 AM
When I had my first haircut (at 12 years old. Never had a trim either) I wondered why the haircut looked so aufly blunt. I thought it looked badm I have always prefered hair a few weeks after it has been cut. Its a lot less harsh to my eyes. I never realised that I prefer fairy tail ends. When I started cutting my hair (I watched the style channel for tips!) I learned that doing vertical snips made my ends look softer. So that is how I did my hair. I now only cut my hair if I see lots of splits and damage on the ends. When I cut I just do a blunt straight cut because that is more healthy for hair quality. But I love it when my ends start looking less like they were freshly cut. I think my sister feels the same way. She doesn't like to get her hair cut. I hope her hair gets super long again. She was probably 11 when she got her first haircut too! (We got ours cut the same day). Oh! I'm getting off subject! I think many people differ on their opinions. If ends get too thin and tapered I prefer them to be trimmed some. But in general I like the way hair looks when people only cut the hairs with splits.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 30th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I like any sort of ends as long as they aren't split or broken ;)

Fufu
September 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I like fairy tail ends.. looks fairyish to me,, though I prefer seeing fairytail ends on waist hair length onward.

Rosetta
September 30th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Everyone just seems to consider them "untidy ends", or thin ends, simple as that; like someone said above, "in desperate need for a cut". There's no way around it, I'm afraid. "Fairytale ends" is a very beautiful name, but to almost everyone, they are far from fairytale...

(I must admit I myself, too, prefer blunt ends, they are just more esthetical to me, and I tend to trim mine if they start looking too thin, a.k.a fairytale...)

Isabobble
September 30th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I love the look of them on thick, wavy/curly hair without too much thinning at the bottom - but for my hair they would just look horribly untidy and I think people would see them as just un-cared for. At school I had a friend with tailbone length hair who had fairytale ends and she got teased mercilessly about it, even though her hair was really in quite good condition. Personally I think her hair would have been improved by taking about 6 inches off and putting a couple of long layers in just to give it a bit more volume, but it was none of my business with me and I'm probably a bit of a hair philistine :o...

Pixie0763
September 30th, 2011, 06:24 AM
IMHO it depends upon the condition of the individual's hair. I think healthy FTEs look awesome!

missmelaniem
September 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I've never had a negative comment on my FTE.
I was at the gas station last week and a young man told me that I had the most beautiful hair he had ever seen. :)

I think most guys don't notice stuff like that. They just like the movement of long hair!

Personally, I really don't care for the look. I think it makes the rest of your hair look bad. It looks thin, weak, and unkempt. I prefer a blunt hemline.

I don't like them either. Heck, even when I had long hair and got a trim once a month people would tell me my ends looked damaged! I remember way back when I went from long hair (just below bsl) to a chin length bob and one person commented that my hair looked healthier!

Soooo to me the moral of the story is that if it suits your look and sense of style, go for it. Who cares what other people think. They don't have to live with your hair, you do. :)

melmmo
September 30th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I think it depends on the length of the thinner ends. I think that, say, 6" of fairy tale ends looks like someone is in need of a trim. On my hair personally I like the last 1/2" to 1" tapered so it's not completely blunt. But I also would not consider that to be fairy tale ends.

ElusiveMuse
September 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I think FTE can be really beautiful and blunt or shaped hemlines can be really unkempt. It honestly depends on the condition of the hair. In general, I think FTE are easier to make beautiful with wavy or curly hair but that is by no means a hard and fast rule.

I definitely have FTE and to be honest it's about 75% the product of my natural hair growth and 25% needing a trim. But I am trimming very slowly so as to stay within an inch or two of waist length and now I probably won't trim again until I get to waist with my last layer I'm trying to grow out. So...sometimes you do what you gotta do.

pepperpot
September 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Friends of mine have seen fairytale ends on other people and commented on how straggly and in need of a trim they look. But I think they look fine as long as they're not split and damaged. They look natural.

andrea1982
September 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I think that well kept healthy fairy tail ends can be beautiful on any hair type, but in society it's generally more accepted and perceived as beautiful on curly and very wavy hair types.

CurlyCap
September 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I love HEALTHY fairy tale ends.

What I don't like is when there are just a handful (~100) hairs that are significantly longer than the rest. Especially if they are dry or damaged. I don't count that as added length and just mentally chop them off.

I will admit that I'm more willing to like FTEs, even thinner ones, on curly hair. The added volume of the curls makes the ends look not as thin.

But, full disclosure, I love a blunt hemline, so that's probably the source of my anti-FTEs stand-point.

AngryVikingGirl
September 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Fairy tale ends can look very very good, as it was mentioned before, especially on wavy/curly hair. Actually my dream hair has them. Some people have the idea that they're not taken care of, but people have ideas of many things, many of them were only invented by the media. I don't care.

newbeginning
September 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
For me personally I don't like them (on me) but on others if that's what they like then go for it.

xoxophelia
September 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I can speak of my reaction when I first joined. Sometimes what we call fairytale ends is due to damage. I don't think that looks very pleasing but the people with it generally are aware their hair has some damage and are dealing with it how they see fit. Other times, the taper can be so dramatic for various reasons that it makes them look a bit unhealthy. I also didn't see that as attractive but, again, recognize their freedom is regards to their own hair.

Many layered hairstyles now simulate something similar to FTE so if the hair looks healthy I don't think many people notice or care.

BrennalaRosa
September 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
My mother is forever begging to trim my split ends, but she does love my hair long. My husband doesn't seem to notice, and my friends just think I'm crazy for want super long hair.

beccababesx
September 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Well fairy tale ends come from not having trimmed your hair for a while, right? And in the non-LHC world, hair needs to be trimmed every 6-8 weeks or it is unhealthy - probably true actually considering the amount of damage that is inflicted in those 6-8 weeks lol! So non LHC-ers will probably associate untrimmed hair - and by association fairytale ends - with split, damaged, unhealthy hair. Also, it has medieval connotations, which isn't very trendy now.

Shesta
September 30th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Most non-LHCers do think FTEs are so gross. I used to be one of them. Until I discovered that my hair looks actually better when it is fairy-tailing :D

invisiblebabe
September 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I am generally not a fan of them, but there are exceptions. I definitely dislike them on myself.

busnutmedic
September 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I don't think about fairy tale ends very often (maybe because I don't see them much?) but I do notice some blunt cuts on long hair and just think they don't look very attractive. I don't know what it is. It's just so blunt. I like thick ends, but I don't like blunt cuts very much. I don't know what the alternative is!

WinterButterfly
September 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I am into the whole medieval thing. I think it was the pretty fairy tail ends that got me started. H)

kittensoupnrice
September 30th, 2011, 02:39 PM
For me, I think that it depends on how the hemline was cut before it fairytailed.

I think U and V shaped hemlines allowed to grow out make the most pleasing fairytail ends.
I do not care much for blunt straight hemlines that are allowed to fairytail.

I definitely do not like any kind of fairytail ends that are jaggedy so that it looks like chunks from the middle are missing. I think those kinds of hemlines just looks like hair damaged from rough styling or brushing.

heartgoesboom
September 30th, 2011, 03:00 PM
i don't like fte on myself, i like feeling the ends of my hair. i like fte (real fte not damage) on other people with hair waist length and longer.

wtchmel
September 30th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I don't know what they think, but I could imagine they probably think it needs to be cut or trimmed. I actually sometimes feel the same, and sometimes it looks amazing, depends on the shape for me, fairytale ends always look better if its in a v-ish shape. If its in the blunt straight across shape , then i personally just feel it looks thin and wispy and needing a trim,lol.

MandyBeth
September 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Depends on the condition. The fairy-tail ends like shown on LHC? They look fine because they generally look healthy.

The ends that Wal-mart is rather known for? They look like crap because well, the hair is in bad condition and the person isn't taking care of their hair, so it's broken off, fried, crispy and generally nasty.

Earth Angel
September 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I've got fairytale ends already and my hair is only just past BSL :confused: lol
I haven't had it trimmed at the hairdressers for a year now, but I have been self trimming split ends, although I'm not seeing as much now :)

My sister keeps telling me I 'need' a trim to tidy it up, but its the only thing thats keeping my length ;) hopefully when my layers catch up, i'll do little trims to maintain the length as well :)

Druid of Alba
September 30th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Who cares what they think- faerietale ends look so beautiful! They look so natural and earthy and mysterious and romantic. I absolutely love them, I hate having my hair trimmed just because it takes away from the faerietaleness of my ends.

goldenmoments
September 30th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I would imagine they are looked upon as unkept....

Personally, I find them very alluring at times

Heartwillfollow
September 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
never heard about them before and can't say I knew if I had saw them. Can't say I have seen many women out in public with extreme long hair wearing it down :)

Alex Lou
September 30th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Fairytale ends would be preferred to a blunt cut around here. Blunt cuts on long hair are out of fashion where I live.

sheepofshalott
October 1st, 2011, 03:27 PM
I don't know one person that likes them in real life!
The fairytale ends I usually see are on short hair and pretty obviously damage and that is really not attractive.
I adore it on longer hair, though, as long as it's not brittle and dry. Still not sure if I like it on myself, depends on the day.

blondie9912
October 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM
I pretty much qualify as 'non-LHC' since I'm such a newbie :p

Personally, I'm not a fan of fairytale ends on straight/lightly waved hair. To me, it really does look like the hair is in need of a trim and is getting scraggly. They can look great on curlier hair though! Just the other day I saw a little girl at the park with hip length, naturally blonde ombre hair with (needless to say) unintentional fairytale ends. It was stunning, kids always have the most beautiful hair :thud:

Finnenna
October 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM
I love them! I'm hoping I get some when my hair gets longer. :D

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM
I think if you have curly hair they look lovely, kind of magical. On me they don't look rightmaybe if my hair was classic length they might look better.

My mum describes them as hippy ends and makes no bones in telling me to get my ends trimmed when i get them. I quite like the thought as being described as a hippy....peace man :rockerdud

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
My hair has fairy tail ends. I like my ends and I never asked anyone else for their opinions. I suppose if I did it would be like anyone else you would get mixed results.

thelittlestdoc
October 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
The only person I know who has them has had between waist and hip length hair and I think the fairy tale ends look lovely on her. She says she's constantly told she needs to trim them off so her hair will like "healthier" or "more tidy."

I think they'd look a little unkempt on less than waist, but it's definitely a matter of personal preference.