PDA

View Full Version : Oh No. Bad Hair Decision and a Pair of Scissors...

HintOfMint
February 28th, 2011, 11:13 PM
So I've been complaining about my thin, damaged ends in the front thanks to a bad razoring about 9 months ago. I couldn't take it anymore, so I took a pair of scissors and...

well...

Remember how I said that I didn't trust myself to cut my own hair...

I was right...

I cut off a bit too much and ended up with a really weird and choppy layer. I'm not going to try to fix it myself, so I'm going to get some layers blended into the front. Hopefully it won't look too bad and will blend nicely.

Unfortunately the new layer is at APL and the rest of my hair is rapidly approaching hip, with layers in the back just below BSL. I'm a wee bit miffed at myself for doing something so stupid because it's going to take over two years to grow out this awful layer.

Oh well, I guess I'm just whining here and letting it out of my system. Thanks for listening to me vent. And remember kids, I'm a cautionary tale. :p

I am a bit nervous about going to the salon. Words of support?

leslissocool
February 28th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Oh no I'm sorry that happened! But look in the bright side- layer can add volume and bounce and give super sexy hair so you might be able to wear it down more often :)... I'd think of it as a late new year's new you!

While the layers might be a bit funky with updo's I do think it makes it so much easier to tuck in and hide the ends, so that's another plus!

Don't forget to post pictures rocking those layers :cool:.

mustpannkook
February 28th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I agree with leslissocool, layers give hair volume. Besides, to some people (and probably to you) layers suit really well!

ScarlettAdelle
March 1st, 2011, 12:10 AM
It's not all bad, love. I have layers starting about 3 inches below my shoulders and my longest ends are tailbone. It's only bad if you let it be... I've chosen not to cut at once, but to trim until my ends are thicker.

Whichever option is best for you is what you should do. At the end of the day, it's just hair. I know that's kind of a taboo thing to say here, but honestly, if you don't like the way it looks, why not start over?

UltraBella
March 1st, 2011, 12:20 AM
I love layers, but I will admit they are hard to deal with when they are the result of an oops.
No more scissors for you, my dear :)

Yozhik
March 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM
:grouphug: It's okay -- it'll grow, right?

I would just be very clear at the salon that I wanted them evened out but not the rest of the length touched. Good luck, and be sure to report back.

I'm sure your new layers will look great! :)

julliams
March 1st, 2011, 01:09 AM
I did this when I thought I wanted to "funk" my hair up a little. I realised it was not working and went to the salon to even it all up as best they could. Pretty much right away I found LHC and the rest is history.

Debra83
March 1st, 2011, 01:14 AM
Been scissor happy myself....HIDE the SCISSORS!!!!!

Fufu
March 1st, 2011, 01:30 AM
No worries, at least not the whole length is being cut off :) Layers can be fun as well ^^

ericthegreat
March 1st, 2011, 02:12 AM
When I read the thread title, I was afraid that you gave yourself a bob that you instantly regretted! :scared:

You only cut the front bang sections of your hair, and even then you left them at APL which isn't too short at all. You are right to NOT try to fix them yourself. Whenever you get to a salon to get them re-shaped, tell the stylist that you don't want to cut them back too much shorter, you just want them to be texturized and thinned out at the ends so that they blend in better with the rest of your hair.

varintalonguard
March 1st, 2011, 03:07 AM
I like layers in my hair, especially when i (god forbid) straighten it but my hair is very, very thick and tends to look odd at the bottom if i don't have layers. Its like i have more poof down there. I probably won't have a big of an issue once i hit my goal of waist because of the weight but until then layers keep me from cutting my hair. As odd as that sounds.:D

HintOfMint
March 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your support y'all!
Ericthegreat, I'll definitely ask for that, thank you for putting it in those words.
Just to clarify, I cut the section of hair that grows from my temples, so not quite the bang area. Hopefully, they'll still be able to fix that and blend it in.

My haircut is in about an hour, wish me luck!

chopandchange
March 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Oh no!

Panic not...

I did this to myself three years ago. I didn't trust the hairdresser to cut my hair for me so I, er, did it myself. :o

Based on my own experience I wish to point out that if you wear your hair up or tied back a lot, it's not going to show anyway! After a few days/weeks the initial "oh-no-what-did-I-do" reaction will wear off, and you'll start getting used to it. It will grow out gradually as you trim. Plus, randomly hacked-off pieces of hair are all the rage nowadays, so you will probably just look "fashionable."

summerjade
March 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Good luck going to the salon. We're thinking of you!!I'm sure it will turn out fine. At least you won't be losing any of your long length! Layers will be fun to play around with too. Make sure they don't touch any of your longest length!!

BrightEyes7
March 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
PUT THE SCISSORS DOWN AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY! :laugh:

I know what you're going through. I had these really bad bangs cut by a 'stylist' (I use that term loosely because she gave my hair anything but style!) and I have been trying to grow them out FOREVER! And they were super thick on one side if I part down the center, which is what I like. So ATM I have about APL thick layers and then some gradiated layers through the front.... but those bangs bug me! Now that they are at APL they are just barely becoming more managable.

So make sure you ask for blended/gradiated layers. Don't be afraid to sit there and discuss what you want with the stylist until you are both sure that you're on the same page.

And look at the bright side... APL is still long enough to fit in a ponytail. And it could be worse... it could always be worse!

They will catch up to the rest of your hair in no time! Maybe try the Monistat method to help those hairs grow!

HintOfMint
March 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Back, and YES they're fixed!

I ended up with some really nice graduated layers in the front. I was very firm about not using a razor to texturize the ends because that's what gave me damage that I felt the need to chop off in the first place. (I realize that many people can razor their hair and have it be alright, and it's a matter of technique and tools, but my hair hasn't fared well with it in the past and I didn't feel like risking it again.)

Overall the cut turned out well and I may actually keep the layers while growing out the ones in the back. I really like the look.

Ais
March 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
That's really great you're happy with them now! I often find I prefer the style I get when I go to the hairdresser after a mishap than just because it's about time I went in :p That's probably why I've adapted to not going so well, hmm..
We've all been there though, I often played around with my layers to stave off cutting my length! Once the lesson is learned after a mistake though, not so much :o

leslissocool
March 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM
Yay!! :cheer::cheese:

I am glad it came out great!

I don't know why, but my hair breaks out with razor cuts too (and it becomes horribly unmanageable since I do have a confused curly/wavy hair type) so I don't ask for razor either.

So great it went from bad home scissor experience to a great cut :cheese:.

jenjen10
March 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
I really feel your pain right now... I decided to cut some side layers into my hair on Sunday and it did not turn out well. Unfortunately, I am too embarrassed right now to go into a salon and have it fixed... :(

UltraBella
March 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
So glad you like it !!!!!!!!!!!!! And relieved it all turned out well !

ericthegreat
March 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm glad the stylist gave you what you asked for. Its great to hear a positive salon story for once!