PDA

View Full Version : Waves...an age thing?

WaitingSoLong
February 28th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Ok, so I actually dried my hair today (this is rare). I always measure when I dry because that is when it is straightest.

I have always had a little wave at the nape of my neck. You cannot see it unless I part my hair and show it to you. SO I was thinking, my hair is long enough now maybe it pulls the waves out...so I got a mirror and parted the back of my hair to see.

So now I have LOTS of waves back there!?? It is also very dark under there (my under canopy is always darker but GEEZ).

SO, is this some age thing? My hair gets darker AND wavier as I get older? Guess I should have taken a picture.

camillacamilla
February 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I started off life with reddish brown, stick straight hair. About ten years ago, it started as a wavy patch at the nape of my neck. I turn 37 in March, and my hair is full of s-waves all over, except for the very top of my head. My hair also darkened with age too. I expect to be a complete wavy head within 5 years or so. The waves started at the nape and slowly spread up the back of my head, then to the sides. I think it's just hormones and aging.

RadiantNeedle
February 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I was a straighty for most of my life and have only recently discovered that my hair is very wavy with some curl. For me, silicone conditioners were weighing down the curl and wave, so I don't know when they really came along! I did notice the waves in particular, before I stopped using silicone products, generally while my hair was still wet.
Now that I'm cone-free I LOVE watching my natural texture to see what it decides to do!

1hunky5monkeys
February 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I think so. Hormonal changes can do wacky (and not so wacky) things too.

ole gray mare
February 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I was a 1a as a girl and young woman. Then a 1b and now a 1c/2a. Also, my texture and color have changed. Yep, I think it's an ever-evolving process!

Meechiru
February 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think it's an age/hormone thing. When I was younger, and even through puberty, I had board-straight hair. I was born with fire red hair, but it mellowed out into strawberry blonde with fairly light blonde highlights as I progressed into childhood. Once I made it through puberty though, it started getting wavier and darker, and has just steadily continued to do so.

I have hormone-related health problems, which I've thought may be contributing to the change as well.

Ligeia_13
March 1st, 2011, 02:51 AM
Mine went the opposite way. I had thisk curls as a child which then loosened into waves and now its straight.

WaitingSoLong
March 1st, 2011, 05:06 AM
I have stopped using cones as well, actually only recently, so maybe that has allowed some of the waves to show up (last 2 months, I finally found a cone free conditioner that works for me).

Honestly, I LIKE STRAIGHT HAIR and am not real impressed with waves on JUST the nape of my neck. They now stretch almost to my ears but only on the under canpoy. I also liked my nice blonde and the dark ash is not my style. Oh well.

Theobroma
March 1st, 2011, 05:39 AM
I was flaxen blonde and gently wavy at 7. Over the decades my hair darkened to a sort of medium golden brown, and now that I've taken to airdrying my hair rather than blowdrying it more or less straight, I find that somewhere along the line I've morphed into elongated spiral curs all over. So yes, both colour and texture CAN change over time.

kanzer
March 1st, 2011, 05:47 AM
I had perfectly straight hair until I was 18 when it started getting wavy. I now have full on spirals around the side of my face and waves at the back. My hair was also a lighter blonde when I was little - see my album for pictures!

It's very strange, especially when you have no idea how to take care of waves/curls...

NouvelleNymphe2
March 1st, 2011, 08:13 AM
I was a straighty for most of my life and have only recently discovered that my hair is very wavy with some curl. For me, silicone conditioners were weighing down the curl and wave, so I don't know when they really came along! I did notice the waves in particular, before I stopped using silicone products, generally while my hair was still wet.
Now that I'm cone-free I LOVE watching my natural texture to see what it decides to do!

i guess i can't yet be certain because i have truly revolutionized the way i care for my hair after joining LHC, but i am experiencing a wavy transformation of sorts myself. i'll be 28 this july and my hair texture in general seems to be changing :). my hair used to be so fine and thin, and now i'm not even sure i should call myself fine anymore? it's only been about 3 months so i'll wait about a year and then ask the gurus how they would re-type me. it seems that after going no cone like RadiantNeedle (above) and adding protein to my conditioning routine i'm getting more than a wave...it's almost straight up curl!?!? i posted a couple of pics in my albums. this is really rewarding seeing what age/hormones, no cones, no chems, natural products/treatments, and gentle handing are doing to my hair. :cheese:

Armelle
March 1st, 2011, 08:26 AM
My hair has gotten curlier as I've aged. It's always been very wavy though.

jackiesjottings
March 2nd, 2011, 02:19 AM
I think it is an age thing as well. My hair is fine and was stick straight with no body when I was younger. Now it has much more body and is slightly wavy as well. My silver hairs are also a lot coarser than my the ones stilll my natural strawberry blonde.

Lippytoes
March 2nd, 2011, 02:26 AM
My hair has definitely become wavier as I get older - and darker too. Both developments that I highly approve of! :D Hope this trend continues...

thirstylocks
March 2nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
Mine was thick and pin straight as a girl. When I was 11 or 12, when I started my period, it got SUPER wavy and frizzy. It was also almost black when I was young and became a chocolate brown when I was a teenager.
Since then the frizz has gone done and in the past year or so my hair is becoming straighter! Only my ends are wavy.

RadiantNeedle
March 2nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
I think I might have to change my hairtype soon... I've been getting way more curls than I anticipated.

jenjen10
March 2nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
My hair was always stick straight but over the past couple of years I have definitely gotten some wave... in fact, in the summer when it is humid, I get a little "halo" of curly hairs (which I am not fond of!). I do like having more body to my hair though. :)

Shany
March 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM
My hair was 1a as a girl and 2c with some ringlets from 11 to 19 years old. Right now, at 21 y/o, it's 1c/2a. I miss my wavy/curly hair :( and I hope it will come back .

ouseljay
March 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM
When I was a kid my hair was straightish, light blonde. It was also fine and tangled at the drop of a hat. It darkened to its current color (not sure what to call it) in my teens, and over the past 10 years has gradually been getting wavier. I just recently noticed how wavy it really is, and the lower layer is very wavy. Sometimes I even get little corkscrews when it's wet!

My boyfriend (who does not have long hair :() had the same pattern of change. Pictures of him as a kid show light brown straight hair, but around 8 or 9 it started going dark and curly. Now his hair is nearly black with tight curls.

MeganE
March 9th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I hope so. My hair has always been stick straight. I'd love to have waves to look forward to!