PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever bad to wear your hair up too much?

Kat Girl
February 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I guess I'm kinda new to wearing my hair up a lot. I just recently cut all my layers out, and now that I have even length hair (at APL) it's much easier to put up. On the other hand, I miss my longer length, so I am doing a little benign neglect and wearing my hair up more. So far I had my hair up for the past 2 days. Then today I had my hair up for maybe half of the day and I took it down. Normally I wouldn't have it up that long and when I take it down I get pretty bun waves. But today I didn't have that nice shape to my hair. In fact my hair was completely out of shape and looked really really awful, and nothing I could do would help, so I ended up putting it up again. I did put coconut oil in it before I put it back up again. Also I did a conditioning treatment overnight last night, and washed it out today. Anyway, is this a one time thing or is putting my hair up too much messing it up?

Also when I say I had it up for 2 days, I still washed it every day like I normally do. I also have it down to air dry and to sleep in.

Nae
February 28th, 2011, 04:43 PM
It is perfectly fine. If you check out this thread http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102&page=1190 there are many members here who have worn their hair up for more than a year straight and let me tell you, they have some gorgeous locks. I wear mine up almost every day. I think it has been down maybe two or three times this year. I think you can wear it up however long you want.

Stephichan
February 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
The only "problem" with wearing your hair up all the time is that if you put it up in the same style it will inflict mechanical damage.

Messyhair
February 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM
The only thing that could be bad is using harmful accessories to put the hair up. Oh, and maybe putting it up the same way each time because then you might be putting stress on the hair in the same spot all the time.

Laurenji
February 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I doubt it. I keep my hair up all the time, and it's certainly not permanently messed up.

As soon as I put my hair up after I wash it, I have to keep putting it up until I wash it again. Once I get braid-waves or bun-waves going, my hair is too poofy to let down by itself again.

However, as soon as I wash it again, everything is back to normal and it looks completely fine. I'm sure your hair is fine and not messed up.

Kat Girl
February 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks. It's starting to calm down again.