PDA

View Full Version : I can't find my scalp!

Naluin
June 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I know this sounds silly, but I'm trying to scritch and I just can't find my scalp... even parting my hair only reveals a little tiny bit at a time. I can see the part, but that's about it. The rest is totally obscured by hair. Gah! How am I supposed to clean it if I can hardly reach it? :confused:

Does anyone out there feel my pain?

girlcat36
June 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry, I can't share your pain---I have scalp show through!:D

Blueneko
June 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I have this problem as well. I scritch, but the sheer volume of hair makes all the "gunk" just drift onto the hair everywhere.

I suggest bending over and doing a finger shake at the roots to unearth some of the flaky stuff.

Anje
June 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry, can't relate too well. I managed to burn the whole top of my head last weekend, not just my part. (Should have worn a hat or bandana, but I was swimming a lot. Next time....)

When I've tried scritching, though, I still have issues with everything just ending up in my hair. I recommend either rinsing your hair afterward, or running a BBB through it just a few times. The BBB seems to remove all sorts of gunk and lint from my hair when the only other alternative is washing earlier than I planned.

Carolyn
June 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I'd trade my ii hair for your iii hair anyday :D We seem to always want what we don't have :p

shellblue1
June 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I wish my hair was that thick where I could have that problem!

kwaniesiam
June 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Ditto, my scalp is always in view and I hate it! I know...you give me some hair so we're both balanced out :silly:

redbark
June 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I know this sounds silly, but I'm trying to scritch and I just can't find my scalp... even parting my hair only reveals a little tiny bit at a time. I can see the part, but that's about it. The rest is totally obscured by hair. Gah! How am I supposed to clean it if I can hardly reach it? :confused:

Does anyone out there feel my pain?

Your pain? I don't know....

But I do feel some pain.....

...mostly pangs....of envy!

sniff

Riot Crrl
June 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Dude, my pony is 3.75" and I still see scalp! I think it's because I have a huge head, so the bigger farm is only producing the average amount of corn, so to speak.

kwaniesiam
June 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Out of curiosity, what is your pony circumference? I can see how that would be annoying, my scalp gets unhappy if I don't de-gunk it regularly, that would be annoying to not be able to reach it.

Aronomy
June 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM
What is the gunk?

spidermom
June 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
What is the gunk?

Dead skin cells. Residue from shampoo or soap (especially soap; it's notorious for not rinsing cleanly), conditioner, styling products. Pollen. Sebum. Stuff.

Your scalp is right there at the roots of your hair. When I scritch, I just use my comb in a subtle side-to-side motion. Whatever I loosened I figure will come out in the next wash. Or rarely I might brush afterward, but I'm avoiding the brush these days, trying to prevent splits.

Nevermore
June 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I have this problem too, so I just scritch over the hair or use a comb *shrugs* I don't think it hurts my hair any and if I brush afterwards (bbb), all the assorted lint and such falls out easily.

flapjack
June 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
My part is easy to find but the rest of my scalp can be a bit more of a challenge. If I REALLY have to go through and find it, I take my hair and make sections and then press down both sides of hair with my fingers and then I can see a thin line of scalp. Otherwise, brushing or massaging my scalp in general works out fine.

Rae~
June 12th, 2008, 01:34 AM
hahaha.... I saw this thread title and was quite bewildered.... all I could think was, "Where (else) does she think it could BE?!?!" :lol:

jel
June 12th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Dude, my pony is 3.75" and I still see scalp! I think it's because I have a huge head, so the bigger farm is only producing the average amount of corn, so to speak.

LOL, this is brilliant! It's so me too, even at 3.9"!

KnightsLady
June 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
hahaha.... I saw this thread title and was quite bewildered.... all I could think was, "Where (else) does she think it could BE?!?!" :lol:

LOL! I had a similar reaction. I love the way some posts are written.

MissHair
June 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My hair is like see through.. I wish my hair was so thick I couldnt reach my scalp..

Saranne772
June 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Yes I can relate. I find the same thing. And then with massaging the scalp- the hair gets in the way. And the only reason Ive not tried monistat (other that having to buy it) is that I cannot access my scalp and dont want to get it on my hair and I know Id get most of it on there

Alaskanheart
June 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
No I dont feel your pain. Poor you with your thick no scalp show hair.lol. Stop trying to make everyone jealous!Or at least me.

MeganS
June 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I can't see my scalp either, but I never really considered it a problem. :D

I go almost entirely by feel, so I was never very worried about not being able to see it.

Starr
June 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Outside of my part, I can remember the last time I saw my scalp. . .

freznow
June 12th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I can see my scalp, but I can't get to it. It likes to pop up in bald spots in braids and things. But when I stick my fingers in there they have a hard time getting to anything. Maybe my fingers are just too thick? It's not like I have sausage fingers or anything...

florenonite
June 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I can't see my scalp, but I can stick my fingers in there easily enough. It does help to bend over so the hair is falling away from the scalp, though.

Naluin
June 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Out of curiosity, what is your pony circumference? I can see how that would be annoying, my scalp gets unhappy if I don't de-gunk it regularly, that would be annoying to not be able to reach it.

I don't exactly know. It won't all fit into a single ponytail at this length, so I have to make two or three. The sum of all the ponytails is over 6."

So... yes, very thick, and very curly so that things won't just fall out of it, and very fragile so that I wouldn't want to brush it either. I think the only solution left is a fire hose to pressure wash the gunk out.

Yeah, ok, that was silly.
:cheese:

Thank you all for the suggestions! :flowers: I will report back if anything seems to help significantly.

Mrs_Zombie
June 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I don't see my scalp unless my hair is really stringy and dirty. Other than that i have a hard time finding it. Even the part. It gets a little crazy sometimes. When i was younger the water wouldn't get to my scalp because of the thickness. So i wouldn't be able to rinse out all the shampoo and conditioner, and hence i would get scabs and nasty build-up. I've learned to part my hair while i rinse now, and its made a million times difference!

florenonite
June 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I don't exactly know. It won't all fit into a single ponytail at this length, so I have to make two or three. The sum of all the ponytails is over 6."

Can I give into my inner geek for a moment? I saw 6" and thought "Wow, that's a whole lotta hair" (mine's a bit over 4"), and then read some more and saw it was the sum of all the ponytails, which means that it's not an accurate measurement of circumference, which would, I believe, be best calculated by taking the circumference of the individual ponytails, dividing by pi, dividing that by two to get the radius, and multiplying that by pi^2. this would give each individual area, which could be added, divided by pi^2, multiplied by 2, and then multiplied by pi to get the full circumference. Just in case you wanted to know your circumference by "LHC-standards", and to possibly make it easier for everyone to make suggestions.

Disclaimer: I'm an English student, so if there's something wrong with my maths here, please point it out but note that I cannot be held accountable :D

doodlesmart
June 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Not so much with scritching, as I just used a fine toothed comb for that. But I have the darndest time getting the soap through my hair down to my scalp. That is definitely the hardest part of washing my hair. It takes me a good 2-3 minutes to get the soap to work past my hair down to my scalp.

So I feel a similar pain.

Naluin
June 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Can I give into my inner geek for a moment? I saw 6" and thought "Wow, that's a whole lotta hair" (mine's a bit over 4"), and then read some more and saw it was the sum of all the ponytails, which means that it's not an accurate measurement of circumference, which would, I believe, be best calculated by taking the circumference of the individual ponytails, dividing by pi, dividing that by two to get the radius, and multiplying that by pi^2. this would give each individual area, which could be added, divided by pi^2, multiplied by 2, and then multiplied by pi to get the full circumference. Just in case you wanted to know your circumference by "LHC-standards", and to possibly make it easier for everyone to make suggestions.

That method gives me the same answer as just adding the circumferences: 6.5".

My inner geek doubted the mathematical accuracy of adding the circumferences, too, but I get the same answer doing it your way and some other method I used to check. So, until my hair gets long enough to be contained in a single ponytail, 6.5" is the best estimate, I guess. :shrug:

Oskimosa
June 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Whew! Now I dont feel so bad with me 5.5"!! Of course, my hair IS thinned and layered... Still, I didn't wanna post that unless someone had one-upped me ;)

Riot Crrl
June 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
That method gives me the same answer as just adding the circumferences: 6.5".

My inner geek doubted the mathematical accuracy of adding the circumferences, too, but I get the same answer doing it your way and some other method I used to check. So, until my hair gets long enough to be contained in a single ponytail, 6.5" is the best estimate, I guess. :shrug:

I thought the same thing too, except maybe I did it wrong, but I thought there was one too many times of dividing by pi and 2 in there. But it seems like an exercise of multiplying by pi and 2 and dividing by them.

lookingglass
June 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it feels gunky just scritch the best you can. If you SEE the gunk then just tackle the part you see.:eye: I have a similar problem with my own thick/scritchy self!:p

Naluin
June 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Whew! Now I dont feel so bad with me 5.5"!! Of course, my hair IS thinned and layered... Still, I didn't wanna post that unless someone had one-upped me ;)

:lol: Glad I could help you feel better. :)