PDA

View Full Version : Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

CarpeDM
February 28th, 2011, 03:33 PM
About two years ago, I went to a new salon for a cut and the stylist told me my scalp hair was thinning. Well inside I sort of freaked out when he told me this. He then went on to tell me that I really needed layers and I should keep it shorter, shoulder length to be specific. Since then I have been a little worried that my hair cleavage might be too much. However there were a couple of considerations I have thought about since then. First, this was the only time I had seen this stylist and I'm not quite sure he understood that my hair wasn't necessarily thinning, it was just thin in the frontal scalp area and always has been, so how could he say it was thinning if it had always been this way and he had never seen me before? Second, my mom has the same hair and her hair is also thin in the front, so I'm pretty sure it is genetically linked and there isn't much I can do about it. Still I have to wonder how much hair cleavage is considered ok? Is there a point where one should cut shorter, and not grow longer if you don't have a lot of hair in the front? Does longer hair somehow make it worse, or should I just not be worried about it?

Madora
February 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM
as long as you're happy with the way your hair looks, then disregard what the guy said.

The only time I would be worried about thinning hair was if my hairline was receding, or I had a bad case of traction alopecia.

CarpeDM
February 28th, 2011, 04:02 PM
as long as you're happy with the way your hair looks, then disregard what the guy said.

The only time I would be worried about thinning hair was if my hairline was receding, or I had a bad case of traction alopecia.

Thanks Madora, I like that answer :) I think I was reasonably ok with my hair before the ominous "your hair is thinning" happened. I mean I knew it was thin, but I hadn't really given it much thought till then.

Fiordiligi
February 28th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I've had the same kind of comments in the past, and the same kind of worries that resulted. I think it's genetic in my case too, because my sister has the same problems, thin at the front and pronounced scalp cleavage due to a weird parting or double crown sort of thing. However in my case people who made these comments were usually hairdressers who were seeing my hair for the first time, and I think they were just voicing those first impressions. But I've come to realise what's going on for myself, and to tell the truth that's part of the reason I'm growing my hair. I can control the cleavage so much better when it's long; when I had a bob, my hair would rearrange itself all the time as it's fine and flyaway at the front, and I would often worry about my scalp showing. With longer hair, mostly worn up I must admit, I feel I have much more control over it, and I also know which way to smooth it over even without having to look in a mirror, which is very reassuring. :)

vanillabones
February 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Pft. I wouldn't listen to that. I would've been so offended! All the females in my family have very thin hair. Sounds like your stylist has never worked with a fine thinnie before ~_~ All the stylists I've had are always very surprised how thin and fine my hair is but I would've given them my two cents if they said I was thin-ING ;)

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 06:42 AM
I've had the same kind of comments in the past, and the same kind of worries that resulted. I think it's genetic in my case too, because my sister has the same problems, thin at the front and pronounced scalp cleavage due to a weird parting or double crown sort of thing. However in my case people who made these comments were usually hairdressers who were seeing my hair for the first time, and I think they were just voicing those first impressions. But I've come to realise what's going on for myself, and to tell the truth that's part of the reason I'm growing my hair. I can control the cleavage so much better when it's long; when I had a bob, my hair would rearrange itself all the time as it's fine and flyaway at the front, and I would often worry about my scalp showing. With longer hair, mostly worn up I must admit, I feel I have much more control over it, and I also know which way to smooth it over even without having to look in a mirror, which is very reassuring. :)

That is pretty interesting that you can control the hair cleavage more when it is long. In my case, I feel that the longer it gets the more pronounced the thinning, but this could all be in my head. I've heard it so many times from people, the longer your hair the more it thins and the heavier the hairs are which puts more pressure on the roots. Of course I don't really know if this is true at all, but I do wonder??

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Pft. I wouldn't listen to that. I would've been so offended! All the females in my family have very thin hair. Sounds like your stylist has never worked with a fine thinnie before ~_~ All the stylists I've had are always very surprised how thin and fine my hair is but I would've given them my two cents if they said I was thin-ING ;)

I think I was a bit in shock actually which always leaves me speechless and then I have nothing to say LOL. I think most stylists probably think what he said, he was just brave enough to say it. I usually get this feeling when I sit down in the chair that stylists don't really like to work with my hair because it isn't thick and voluminous, but us thinnies need love too! :)

Fufu
March 1st, 2011, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't just listen to one hairstylist. Maybe he meant well from his opinion, but I believe you will understand your hair far better than his.

Sometimes I felt that "some" hairstylists, not referring to all, they encourage people to cut their hair short so, people will start coming back to them to trim their hair to maintain the shape frequently.

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't just listen to one hairstylist. Maybe he meant well from his opinion, but I believe you will understand your hair far better than his.

Sometimes I felt that "some" hairstylists, not referring to all, they encourage people to cut their hair short so, people will start coming back to them to trim their hair to maintain the shape frequently.

Good point!

AgnesONutter
March 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM
That is pretty interesting that you can control the hair cleavage more when it is long. In my case, I feel that the longer it gets the more pronounced the thinning, but this could all be in my head. I've heard it so many times from people, the longer your hair the more it thins and the heavier the hairs are which puts more pressure on the roots. Of course I don't really know if this is true at all, but I do wonder??

Well...let's look at this argument logically, shall we?

How much does one strand weigh? My kitchen scale will not register it. And when I hold my tailbone length hair in my hand, I would say it weighs no more than a kilo if even that much (again, hard to weigh it). We'll say a kilo. This kilo is distributed evenly across how many thousand strands, each anchored to your scalp? I think we can safely assume that what pressure there is on the roots is really so small that we can ignore it.

As for you feeling your hair grows thinner when it grows longer, this is not entirely true. When hair grows, it grows at different speeds. New hair grows in, old hair sheds. Most of the hair that sheds will be long strands, of the very reason that they are older. This is why when we braid our hair the thickest part is close to the scalp, and then it thins as we go. There's simply not as many strands of the longest sort as there is of the short. This does not mean your hair thins as it grows longer. The amount of hair strands will still be the same, even if the illusion will be of thinner hair because your hemline is thinner, due to not all strands having grown that long (yet).

So, don't worry about having long hair if you want it. It will not make a difference in the actual thickness of your hair (unless you catch it under things all the time).

Fairlight63
March 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
From the looks of your picture your hair doesn't look thin at all. It looks normal to me. I think that you have beautiful hair!
I have had the "hair cleavage" issue all of my life also. I think that as someone else said that it is easier to cover it up as your hair gets longer. I wear it in a half up a lot of the time so that it covers it up, then put what is hanging down in a bun or braid it. That is what works for me right now.

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 08:20 AM
From the looks of your picture your hair doesn't look thin at all. It looks normal to me. I think that you have beautiful hair!
I have had the "hair cleavage" issue all of my life also. I think that as someone else said that it is easier to cover it up as your hair gets longer. I wear it in a half up a lot of the time so that it covers it up, then put what is hanging down in a bun or braid it. That is what works for me right now.

Yes I totally agree that a half up does an amazing job at hiding hair cleavage!

Babyfine
March 1st, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have very fine, thin hair. My hair looks fuller in my pictures(such as my avatar).
I do have a natural wave which helps some. I've been trying to go longer without wetting my hair down, which I do every day.
This Sunday I sprayed my dry hair with a(home-made) hair mist and put it into a french twist for church. I didn't check all the sides/angles Like I always do(in such a hurry,just threw it up.), and when I got home after two hours I realized I had hair cleavage on my left side from the way the twist was pulled!!!!:blueeek:
So anyone sitting on the left side of me could see this wonderful show of scalp!! right side looked good, though.
I told my husband why didn't you tell me? I don't know-he says.
With my fine hair I'm always checking for cleavage, and usually have to wet it down every day.

I think your hair looks very nice, BTW

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Well...let's look at this argument logically, shall we?

How much does one strand weigh? My kitchen scale will not register it. And when I hold my tailbone length hair in my hand, I would say it weighs no more than a kilo if even that much (again, hard to weigh it). We'll say a kilo. This kilo is distributed evenly across how many thousand strands, each anchored to your scalp? I think we can safely assume that what pressure there is on the roots is really so small that we can ignore it.

As for you feeling your hair grows thinner when it grows longer, this is not entirely true. When hair grows, it grows at different speeds. New hair grows in, old hair sheds. Most of the hair that sheds will be long strands, of the very reason that they are older. This is why when we braid our hair the thickest part is close to the scalp, and then it thins as we go. There's simply not as many strands of the longest sort as there is of the short. This does not mean your hair thins as it grows longer. The amount of hair strands will still be the same, even if the illusion will be of thinner hair because your hemline is thinner, due to not all strands having grown that long (yet).

So, don't worry about having long hair if you want it. It will not make a difference in the actual thickness of your hair (unless you catch it under things all the time).

I'm following you, but I think the stylist implication was that you would lose more hair and your hair would thin in the scalp area as opposed to the thinning that happens as you grow your hair out longer. In other words, the weight of longer hair tends to make you lose your hair rather than the lighter weight of shorter hair which wouldn't make you lose your hair. It also makes a thinning area more obvious because it is heavier and sort of flattens out your hair more at the top. This is the general gist I think of what he was saying, which is why he wanted to "lighten up" my hair with layers and a shorter length cut. That somehow by lightening up the weight of the hair the thinning would be helped and better concealed. Now I am not a stylist or a hair expert by any means so I can't say whether there is any validity to this or not, but he isn't the first stylist that I have heard this from. Most of the stylists (if not all) that I have seen in my life always tell me to keep it no longer than shoulder length and to put in layers. After a while you have to start wondering right?

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 08:36 AM
I have very fine, thin hair. My hair looks fuller in my pictures(such as my avatar).
I do have a natural wave which helps some. I've been trying to go longer without wetting my hair down, which I do every day.
This Sunday I sprayed my dry hair with a(home-made) hair mist and put it into a french twist for church. I didn't check all the sides/angles Like I always do(in such a hurry,just threw it up.), and when I got home after two hours I realized I had hair cleavage on my left side from the way the twist was pulled!!!!:blueeek:
So anyone sitting on the left side of me could see this wonderful show of scalp!! right side looked good, though.
I told my husband why didn't you tell me? I don't know-he says.
With my fine hair I'm always checking for cleavage, and usually have to wet it down every day.

I think your hair looks very nice, BTW

That made me smile, that has happened to me too! Every time I do an updo I have to look at it from every angle in the mirror to make sure all of my hair cleavage is conservatively covered up :)

Yozhik
March 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM
I've got this weird thing where my part at my crown really shows in a lot of my photos from the back. Once a boy told me I had a bald spot because of it. :mad:

Also, recently, when I tried out Feye's self-trim method, I noticed that the right side of my head has a thinner ponytail than my left. I think it's fairly natural for there to be variation in thickness around peoples' heads. So don't worry about it. :flower:

Celtic Morla
March 1st, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have issues with my hair and over the years I have realized that what stylists think works does NOT! I have a major cowlick in the front of my hair. many times a stylist has cut shorter telling me it would helpcontrol it-nope doesnt work, it needs the weight of hair to pull it into line! Same thing with a cowlick at the back of my head! I find hairdressers will tell you what htye believe and face it quite often its an industry that wants to make people beleive that hair products are essential for healthy hair. Long or short hair will not prevent or stop thinning I have a balding hubby who can say it doesnt matter what you do, if it wants to leave it will!

Fiordiligi
March 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM

Yes, I have heard that and wondered about it too. But what AgnesONutter says seems reasonable, and because it's fine, the weight of my hair even when a lot longer than now has never seemed to be be significant, though of course YMMV. My hair is super fine in places, and unless pulled down a bit, whether by an updo or a halfup, or even just by having a bit more length, it just springs out of my head leaving scalp on display at the front and around my parting. So the longer length works better and makes me feel happier about my appearance. (I should say that I almost never wear my hair completely loose.) In the end you go with what makes you feel comfortable, though I'll admit it has taken me years to make peace with my hair!

I do still do the obsessive checking from all angles. :) And Yozhik, I have the smaller ponytail on one side than the other thing as well! :)

skyblue
March 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM
My hair has thinned out over the years, I have been told the same, keep your hair layered and shorter so the weight of your hair won't flatten on top.....I haven't noticed any more thinning then when my hair was shorter, it is near tailbone now and hardly weighs a thing, I don't feel any pressure on my roots when its down lol and I'm pretty sure that my head can support even more length with out falling out cause of weight hehehe!
If your hair is normally thin in front, meaning it's always been that way, then don't pay no mind to what this person said, really he should have known better to just jump to conclusions when it was your first time with him and he didn't know your hair ;)

stefafra
March 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
:oops: can somebody please explain me what is "hair cleavage"?
Is it the parting?
Thanks

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM
:oops: can somebody please explain me what is "hair cleavage"?
Is it the parting?
Thanks

Oh sorry! Hair cleavage is when your scalp (or parts of your scalp, spots, areas, etc.) is visible through your hair. I would imagine your part can be considered hair cleavage too :)

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
I have issues with my hair and over the years I have realized that what stylists think works does NOT! I have a major cowlick in the front of my hair. many times a stylist has cut shorter telling me it would helpcontrol it-nope doesnt work, it needs the weight of hair to pull it into line! Same thing with a cowlick at the back of my head! I find hairdressers will tell you what htye believe and face it quite often its an industry that wants to make people beleive that hair products are essential for healthy hair. Long or short hair will not prevent or stop thinning I have a balding hubby who can say it doesnt matter what you do, if it wants to leave it will!

I like that last line, if it wants to leave, it will! That is for sure!

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
My hair has thinned out over the years, I have been told the same, keep your hair layered and shorter so the weight of your hair won't flatten on top.....I haven't noticed any more thinning then when my hair was shorter, it is near tailbone now and hardly weighs a thing, I don't feel any pressure on my roots when its down lol and I'm pretty sure that my head can support even more length with out falling out cause of weight hehehe!
If your hair is normally thin in front, meaning it's always been that way, then don't pay no mind to what this person said, really he should have known better to just jump to conclusions when it was your first time with him and he didn't know your hair ;)

This is very assuring, thanks for posting, it gives me hope :)

islandboo
March 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
"Hair cleavage"- how cute :D

I had always used the term "microparts" to describe the gashes of scalp that appear when I pull my hair back. For some reason my scalp seems to show more with updos than when it is down, but that hasn't been stopping me from wearing them. No matter how carefully I arrange it so minimal scalp shows, as my hair relaxes during the day it appears wherever it wants to. :rolleyes:

The trials and tribulations of the thin-haired, LOL

Bonkers57
March 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
I too deal with hair cleavage. When I put it in a pony tail, I have to look in the mirror to smooth out the gashes gently with a boar bristle brush. I have a prominent cowlick at the crown in the back on the left. I also have one in my bangs. The boar bristle brush keeps them from separating for a short time.

Mesmerise
March 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Honestly, it is illogical to think that shorter hair will make your hair thin MORE. The weight of your hair, as someone else said, is very slight! I'm sure you lose JUST as much hair when it's short as when it's long (although you won't notice it as much because the lengths are so much shorter).

Your hair needs to suit what YOU want, not what some stylist thinks you should have! Hair stylists, unfortunately, don't know everything... and while many probably do have a lot of great knowledge of hair, they also are sometimes taught things that are just not true (i.e. ask an average hair stylist about henna and see what they say :rolleyes:).

I think I will self trim from now on to avoid stylists altogether!!

frizzinator
March 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
I have been thinning in the crown for 15 years.

If I wear my hair down, my scalp cleavage looks the same regardless of the length of my hair; however, I have control over how it looks when I wear an updo.

If you look at my updo photos in my photo album, you can see that the cleavage is not obvious in my crown area.

CarpeDM
March 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
I have been thinning in the crown for 15 years.

If I wear my hair down, my scalp cleavage looks the same regardless of the length of my hair; however, I have control over how it looks when I wear an updo.

If you look at my updo photos in my photo album, you can see that the cleavage is not obvious in my crown area.

Oh my I can't see any hair cleavage at all in your album, your hair looks so thick!

CarpeDM
March 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
I too deal with hair cleavage. When I put it in a pony tail, I have to look in the mirror to smooth out the gashes gently with a boar bristle brush. I have a prominent cowlick at the crown in the back on the left. I also have one in my bangs. The boar bristle brush keeps them from separating for a short time.

Hi Bonkers, I was just going through your pics and I think we share the same situation, do you find bangs to be more helpful? Right now I'm thinking about maybe adding some longer bangs in and some layers to alleviate some of the hair cleavage...this whole thinning thing has got me down, I'm even thinking about just chopping it :(

skyblue
March 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
But your not thinning, you said yourself that your hair is naturally thin in front right, and that it's been that way since you can remember, did I miss read that part lol! This guy jumped to a conclusion on first sight, he didn't know your hair, he didn't know you, so stop worrying lol
from what I can see your hair is gorgeous ;)

CarpeDM
March 2nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
But your not thinning, you said yourself that your hair is naturally thin in front right, and that it's been that way since you can remember, did I miss read that part lol! This guy jumped to a conclusion on first sight, he didn't know your hair, he didn't know you, so stop worrying lol
from what I can see your hair is gorgeous ;)

Well here is the thing. I have always been thin, but I think I might be getting thinner. I have only started paying attention to this since he brought it my attention. Before then it did seem thicker but it is hard to tell because I don't have any real documentation. The other thing that is throwing me off is I have never grown out the front longer than my chin in length. I've always had bangs or layers. Right now for the first time in my life I have the front of my hair really long (for me) and it seems to be making my scalp much more visible. It is hard for me to decipher if I am actually thinning, if the longer hair is making me lose more hair, or if the longer hair is pulling more and making it look worse...lately it has me feeling down and I'm not quite sure what to do.

CarpeDM
March 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Here is a recent pic of my hair cleavage, please I would love to see other pics if you could post.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/hadrianh/baldy.jpg

Fufu
March 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
I will try to take a pic of my hair top tonight or tmr. Have u consider changing hair parting?

Bonkers57
March 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm in the process of growing my bangs out because I want to see how they look simply parted to either side. My bangs do separate a lot, so I'm not sure they really help me.

Hi Bonkers, I was just going through your pics and I think we share the same situation, do you find bangs to be more helpful? Right now I'm thinking about maybe adding some longer bangs in and some layers to alleviate some of the hair cleavage...this whole thinning thing has got me down, I'm even thinking about just chopping it :(

Arya
March 2nd, 2011, 09:44 PM

I find when my hair is shorter, it stands up more, and you can see more scalp in between all the hairs. When it's longer, it's flatter, and covers more of my scalp. If it's only thin at the front, have you considered bangs? That should hide any odd hair cleavage, imo. my sister has realllllllly thin fine hair, and she looks ten thousand times better (and thicker) with short blunt bangs.

Bonkers57
March 3rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
I've been trying to avoid heat styling and handling my hair too much, but I'm going to have to do something with it because it looks like crap if I don't. When it was in an ear-length bob, I could more easily get by with it. Over the years, styling my hair, then a light touch of hair spray minimizes cleavage. My hair is way too fine to do nothing at this stage.

I find when my hair is shorter, it stands up more, and you can see more scalp in between all the hairs. When it's longer, it's flatter, and covers more of my scalp. If it's only thin at the front, have you considered bangs? That should hide any odd hair cleavage, imo. my sister has realllllllly thin fine hair, and she looks ten thousand times better (and thicker) with short blunt bangs.

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
I have had blunt bangs before but they make my face look really boxy, longer side bangs (nose length) or light front layering seems to help the thinness and works better with my face. Since this is the first time I have it longer and all one length this might just be my lot in hair life. It is a little discouraging however because I just spent the last two and a half years growing out front layers only to find out that I might need them after all :rolleyes:. I figured that if my hair was all one length it would be thicker, but my hair in the front has sort of thinned out at the ends so much anyways, layers might just be inevitable for a thinny like me.

As far as the side part goes, yes it is much better to the side and you can not see as much hair cleavage, but my hair is very stubborn and has a mind of it's own so when I part it to the side it tries to go to the middle, even with hair spray :shake:.

I guess this is all part (no pun intended) of the growing out process, tyring to find out what works and what doesn't, right?:shrug:

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
I will try to take a pic of my hair top tonight or tmr. Have u consider changing hair parting?

Oh please do, show me your hair cleavage, I don't want to be the only one!

Wanderer09
March 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
I have thick hair, but still get "hair cleavage" because of cowlicks and a weird natural double parting. I used to freak out over it for a long time, thinking my hair was thinning or I had bald spots or something. It's a lot more obvious with greasy hair. Lately I've been getting better at just ignoring it and working around it. The hair at the crown does seem a bit thinner than the rest, but I'm learning not to let that bother me either.

I guess it's natural for hair thickness to vary on different areas of your scalp?

selderon
March 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Carpe, your hair is beautiful. And your taste in firearms isn't bad either. ;)

Fufu
March 3rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
CarpeDM: Here's a picture of my hair top. I have fringe, not exactly blunt fringe, sometimes i do side parting, centre parting looks horrible on my broad forehead.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/IMG00701-20110304-0105-1.jpg

Bonkers57
March 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Y'know, I'm coming to some of the same conclusions myself! I've grown out layers and have found that I may need them after all, too. A blunt hemline indeed makes my hair look thicker - when it's short! As the hair grows and gets heavier, not so much. The layers hold a style longer because the hair isn't as heavy. And even just curling the ends under gives my hair some volume.

And, going without washing it for more than a day and a half? Fuggeddaboutit! Cleavage gets worse the greasier my hair is.

I don't really want to chop it all off short again. I want long hair. I may end up with shaggy long hair, but as long as I like the way it looks after putting in a reasonable amount of effort, I'm good.

You're right, Carpe. It takes time and a lot of trial and error to discover what works! :) That is what it's about.

I have had blunt bangs before but they make my face look really boxy, longer side bangs (nose length) or light front layering seems to help the thinness and works better with my face. Since this is the first time I have it longer and all one length this might just be my lot in hair life. It is a little discouraging however because I just spent the last two and a half years growing out front layers only to find out that I might need them after all :rolleyes:. I figured that if my hair was all one length it would be thicker, but my hair in the front has sort of thinned out at the ends so much anyways, layers might just be inevitable for a thinny like me.

As far as the side part goes, yes it is much better to the side and you can not see as much hair cleavage, but my hair is very stubborn and has a mind of it's own so when I part it to the side it tries to go to the middle, even with hair spray :shake:.

I guess this is all part (no pun intended) of the growing out process, tyring to find out what works and what doesn't, right?:shrug:

leslissocool
March 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have the opposite... I have thick hair, but I've been shedding since winter and lost over an inch of thickness... which made my hair look "normal" and it's finally now (at least I think) stopped.

Honestly, your parting shows. Just because your hair is thin and your parting shows doesn't mean you are balding! Do you have any bald spots/ receding hairline? If not, I have no idea what that stylist was talking about...

When I was pregnant I had alopecia, a HUGE bald spot and my hair was barely growing. You know what? I hid it, for the first time ever I parted my hair on the left, covering that spot.:slap: and I didn't cut my hair because of it. Now it's grown :cheese: .

If you are worried, go have a blood test and make sure you are healthy. If you don't have anything that will make your hair fall out, then I wouldn't worry about what the hairstylist said.

I think your hair is gorgeous!

Fufu
March 3rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
I fully agree with what leslissocool said. the best way is to consult a doctor and go for a blood test first before determining anything :)

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Y'know, I'm coming to some of the same conclusions myself! I've grown out layers and have found that I may need them after all, too. A blunt hemline indeed makes my hair look thicker - when it's short! As the hair grows and gets heavier, not so much. The layers hold a style longer because the hair isn't as heavy. And even just curling the ends under gives my hair some volume.

And, going without washing it for more than a day and a half? Fuggeddaboutit! Cleavage gets worse the greasier my hair is.

I don't really want to chop it all off short again. I want long hair. I may end up with shaggy long hair, but as long as I like the way it looks after putting in a reasonable amount of effort, I'm good.

You're right, Carpe. It takes time and a lot of trial and error to discover what works! :) That is what it's about.

I know this might sound crazy but I think I might have two terminal lengths, the hair on the back of my head could grow forever, the hair in the front basically jumps ship when it gets to my chin, wierd huh?

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have the opposite... I have thick hair, but I've been shedding since winter and lost over an inch of thickness... which made my hair look "normal" and it's finally now (at least I think) stopped.

Honestly, your parting shows. Just because your hair is thin and your parting shows doesn't mean you are balding! Do you have any bald spots/ receding hairline? If not, I have no idea what that stylist was talking about...

When I was pregnant I had alopecia, a HUGE bald spot and my hair was barely growing. You know what? I hid it, for the first time ever I parted my hair on the left, covering that spot.:slap: and I didn't cut my hair because of it. Now it's grown :cheese: .

If you are worried, go have a blood test and make sure you are healthy. If you don't have anything that will make your hair fall out, then I wouldn't worry about what the hairstylist said.

I think your hair is gorgeous!

Thanks for the compliment :) It is funny... I have enough hair in the back but hardly any in the front :) No receding hairline or actual bald spots just really light and sparse all around my crown as you can tell from the pic. I might make an appt with a dermatologist and check it out, but I am pretty healthy and I have a sneaky suspicion it is just genetics and there won't be much I can do about it...

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
CarpeDM: Here's a picture of my hair top. I have fringe, not exactly blunt fringe, sometimes i do side parting, centre parting looks horrible on my broad forehead.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/IMG00701-20110304-0105-1.jpg

Looks good! Thanks so much for posting!!

Fiordiligi
March 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
This is how my just-about-to-be-washed hair wants to go after it has been up in a bun all day. NB this is not a deliberate parting, it just appears. From the front it still looks smoothed straight back:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/fiordiligiuk/bunone.jpg

And this is after I have smoothed it down with my BBB without touching the bun:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/fiordiligiuk/buntwo.jpg

Excuse the rotten pictures. I am photographically challenged. :)

Coan-Teen
March 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Want to know a secret? Shorter cuts don't make the hair cleavage go away or even look thicker. You just have shorter, still thin hair.

I think your hair looks fine. I have thin patches on the top of my temples and I've had people tell me things as extreme as, "You look like you're balding with your hair pulled back." But what I've come to realize about it is that I don't actually look like I'm balding. I look like my hair is thin in the front. It happens. Some people have lovely thick hairlines. I have lovely thin hairlines. And I like my hair. From the pick I saw, your hair looks lovely and healthy, and you obviously have plenty of thickness in the length. You just also have a natural fringe. ^_^

I think Madora said it best on page 1. If you like it, then forget every other opinion. It's your hair.

curlymarcia
March 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
I also have a spare spot around the crown. As Coan Teen, I don't believe cutting will fix it. I do daily massage but I am not sure about getting results.

skyblue
March 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
I wish I could show you mine but no camera yet, your crown looks BETTER then mine! ;)
I change my parting often now, since my middle part has become quite wide, you should just enjoy your hair and not worry so much, your hair really is beautiful and looks very thick to me

shelleybean
March 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I think this is pretty common actually. I have fine hair and it is thinner at the crown than in the back for sure. I'm also blonde so when I pull my hair back and the front is flat you can see through it to my scalp. I agree with Coan-Teen that some folks have thick hairlines and some of us don't. My hair is TBL and the thickness at my crown has in no way worsened, it's remained pretty stable. I've found when someone makes this type of comment it can induce a mild paranoia about thinning when most likely this is just your hairs 'normal'.

If you feel more comfortable with bangs or layers then go for it but if you want to just grow it long then join us in the lovely thin hairline club. ;) Most people think long hair is a bit 'boring'. My ex-MIL would always say "your hair doesn't DO anything". LOL! I'd usually reply with "what's it supposed to DO? Backflips?" Simple hair is pretty unusual these days so don't be surprised when people feel you need to DO something with your hair.

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
I wish I could show you mine but no camera yet, your crown looks BETTER then mine! ;)
I change my parting often now, since my middle part has become quite wide, you should just enjoy your hair and not worry so much, your hair really is beautiful and looks very thick to me

I wish I could lend you my camera then LOL, thanks for the lovely encouraging words!

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
This is how my just-about-to-be-washed hair wants to go after it has been up in a bun all day. NB this is not a deliberate parting, it just appears. From the front it still looks smoothed straight back:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/fiordiligiuk/bunone.jpg

And this is after I have smoothed it down with my BBB without touching the bun:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/fiordiligiuk/buntwo.jpg

Excuse the rotten pictures. I am photographically challenged. :)

I hardly see any hair cleavage at all! Thank you so much for posting, your camera skills are spot on :)

CarpeDM
March 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I think this is pretty common actually. I have fine hair and it is thinner at the crown than in the back for sure. I'm also blonde so when I pull my hair back and the front is flat you can see through it to my scalp. I agree with Coan-Teen that some folks have thick hairlines and some of us don't. My hair is TBL and the thickness at my crown has in no way worsened, it's remained pretty stable. I've found when someone makes this type of comment it can induce a mild paranoia about thinning when most likely this is just your hairs 'normal'.

If you feel more comfortable with bangs or layers then go for it but if you want to just grow it long then join us in the lovely thin hairline club. ;) Most people think long hair is a bit 'boring'. My ex-MIL would always say "your hair doesn't DO anything". LOL! I'd usually reply with "what's it supposed to DO? Backflips?" Simple hair is pretty unusual these days so don't be surprised when people feel you need to DO something with your hair.

I could have a case of mild paranoia... Funny about the boring part, I was having a conversation with my SO last night and I asked him which he preferred, layers or all one length, and he said the layers were more exciting and the all one length was sort of plain, it was just there and didn't "do" much, LOL.

CarpeDM
March 5th, 2011, 06:41 AM
No more hair cleavage pics?

islandboo
March 5th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Okay, Carpe, here ya go: this is just after washing - air dried, a quick comb-through and pencil bun, no deliberate parting. Two things: 1) dang, that's a lot of scalp! I think I'm depressed now 2) taking pictures like this is kind of hard - it took several tries to get the phone lined up with my head and even remotely focused. Or maybe I'm just incompetent, LOL

http://i.imgur.com/MPowP.jpg

CarpeDM
March 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Okay, Carpe, here ya go: this is just after washing - air dried, a quick comb-through and pencil bun, no deliberate parting. Two things: 1) dang, that's a lot of scalp! I think I'm depressed now 2) taking pictures like this is kind of hard - it took several tries to get the phone lined up with my head and even remotely focused. Or maybe I'm just incompetent, LOL

http://i.imgur.com/MPowP.jpg
No it is hard! I kept trying to take a picture of my scalp and it took a while. I have never done that before which is why it is hard to compare it to before, I never had a before shot, but now I do :) I was depressed too when I saw what my scalp looked like, then I realized I'm glad I am taller and not too many people can actually see the top of my head LOL, thanks for attaching your pic!!

Boudicca
March 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I'd be inclined to doubt your stylist on his advice to get layers alone. Layers would make thin hair look thinner.

I have thin hair. When I was about 14, I cut my wait length hair to bra strap (mistake!) and started to grow my fringe out. I went to the hairdresser to get layers, as I thought that this would help to disguise the fringe growing out. The man was really nice and honest, and said that my hair was actually quite deceptive, as it was way thinner than it looked. If he cut layers into it, it would look dreadful - as it would make the thinness extremely obvious.

I think your hair looks lovely.

CarpeDM
March 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'd be inclined to doubt your stylist on his advice to get layers alone. Layers would make thin hair look thinner.

I have thin hair. When I was about 14, I cut my wait length hair to bra strap (mistake!) and started to grow my fringe out. I went to the hairdresser to get layers, as I thought that this would help to disguise the fringe growing out. The man was really nice and honest, and said that my hair was actually quite deceptive, as it was way thinner than it looked. If he cut layers into it, it would look dreadful - as it would make the thinness extremely obvious.

I think your hair looks lovely.

Thanks for the kind words!

CarpeDM
March 7th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to comment and for all the encouraging words and pics. Thanks! :blossom:

Lippytoes
March 16th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Late to the game, but I just wanted to say thank you for this thread! I've been feeling a little paranoid about the hair cleavage at my crown, and it's really reassuring to find that I'm not alone. ♥ Feeling less paranoid now!

CarpeDM
March 21st, 2011, 12:56 PM
Late to the game, but I just wanted to say thank you for this thread! I've been feeling a little paranoid about the hair cleavage at my crown, and it's really reassuring to find that I'm not alone. ♥ Feeling less paranoid now!

I know right?! I am sooooo glad to know I am not the only one out there with hair cleavage :)

ArienEllariel
March 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM
I don't have hair cleavage defined as sparse hair but I do have 2 cowlicks at my crown so my hair does part in a Y shape at my crown unless smoothed out with a brush. What I'm saying is that I feel your pain. I'll put my hair up and it will try to repart over the course of the day. If my hair gets greasy, my fine hair clumps together and is really hard to pull back and look decent. I'll get scalp cleavage like crazy.

Culdayne
March 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM
I have scalp cleavage and I noticed my seven year old has the same issue. It looks like a "J" looking down on the top of the head! Basically a cowlick, but it can look a little startling especially the contrast between white scalp and dark hair. I got so tired of it, I starting putting a little dark brown eyeshadow on my head (mineral eye shadow and I have used matte pressed version also) on the dang thing. It works wonders! Especially since I don't like blow drying my hair, it is REALLY noticable when I don't blow dry and the hairs just won't obey! Now I let my hair air dry and take a small makep brush and apply it where it stands out the most. Mainly the back of the head. You can't even tell, and it looks so much better.

summerjade
March 21st, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hey , don't worry about what this stylist said . It sounds like genetics and there is no reason you should not have long hair. Many stylists would love to cut it all off and if they can put some sort of doubt in our mind , all the better for them. Your hair looks lovely. I admire it. Let you mind be at ease.

CarpeDM
March 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
I have scalp cleavage and I noticed my seven year old has the same issue. It looks like a "J" looking down on the top of the head! Basically a cowlick, but it can look a little startling especially the contrast between white scalp and dark hair. I got so tired of it, I starting putting a little dark brown eyeshadow on my head (mineral eye shadow and I have used matte pressed version also) on the dang thing. It works wonders! Especially since I don't like blow drying my hair, it is REALLY noticable when I don't blow dry and the hairs just won't obey! Now I let my hair air dry and take a small makep brush and apply it where it stands out the most. Mainly the back of the head. You can't even tell, and it looks so much better.

I love that J part, I totally can relate!!

CarpeDM
March 21st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hey , don't worry about what this stylist said . It sounds like genetics and there is no reason you should not have long hair. Many stylists would love to cut it all off and if they can put some sort of doubt in our mind , all the better for them. Your hair looks lovely. I admire it. Let you mind be at ease.

Thank you so much :flower:

ElusiveMuse
March 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Stylists always tell you to cut and do layers, no matter what your hair type or preference is. At least, that's been my experience!

GlassWidow
March 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM
I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that my natural part has gotten longer, drifting over my crown, which is upsetting to me, given that I'm pretty sure it's from the meds I take. I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. It's great to know that others share my concern, to different degrees and for various different reasons, and that they've found ways to feel OK about it. It helps when I'm feeling down about my hair.

Miss Catrina
March 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents that I had hair cleavage something FIERCE when I had a pixie cut and pretty much none now at APL, so I don't think there's necessarily a connection.

CarpeDM
April 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
That is pretty interesting, I seem to have it now with longer hair and don't really remember ever having it with shorter hair. I think it might just be the weight of longer hair pulling and flattening out the top of my head more than it did with shorter hair...seems logical right?

wavykisses
April 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hi I have hair cleavage too on the funny side I didn't notice for years until I joined LHC,
and I put a mirror to see how my hair is growing and OMG I saw my bald spot right from the crown going back like a big L, the only thing I do now is every time I hold my hair
I have to put a mirror to see if I have my cleavage showing, hopefully as it gets longer will cover a little the spot if not I will put a pretty barret or a flexi 8 to cover it, my mom does it and nobody ever noticed her cleavage and she has one big one with a pixie hair cut.

One funny story is after all this years I didn't know I had it, but my husband never told me a thing, I mean I was walking the streets with my big bald spot and he never said anything so
when I asked him why you never told me he said, he thought I knew and it was just that I was so secure of myself that I didn't care hahahaha, I don't know why he never even made a small comment .

DoubleCrowned
April 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
I joined TLHC because of this thread, cleavage being such a sensitive issue for me with thin, fine hair and .... look here:

I don't have hair cleavage defined as sparse hair but I do have 2 cowlicks at my crown so my hair does part in a Y shape at my crown unless smoothed out with a brush. What I'm saying is that I feel your pain. I'll put my hair up and it will try to repart over the course of the day. If my hair gets greasy, my fine hair clumps together and is really hard to pull back and look decent. I'll get scalp cleavage like crazy.

I have two cowlicks at the crown, too! CarpeDM had some interesting comments about it in my introductory thread, "Fine haired lurker thinking of a cut," which will make you feel better about them.

My double crown has its own way if my hair is short. Long, there are choices--like wearing it up just so. One thing that sometimes works for me is a diagonal part.

DoubleCrowned
April 2nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hi I have hair cleavage too on the funny side I didn't notice for years until I joined LHC,
and I put a mirror to see how my hair is growing and OMG I saw my bald spot right from the crown going back like a big L, the only thing I do now is every time I hold my hair
I have to put a mirror to see if I have my cleavage showing, hopefully as it gets longer will cover a little the spot if not I will put a pretty barret or a flexi 8 to cover it, my mom does it and nobody ever noticed her cleavage and she has one big one with a pixie hair cut.

One funny story is after all this years I didn't know I had it, but my husband never told me a thing, I mean I was walking the streets with my big bald spot and he never said anything so
when I asked him why you never told me he said, he thought I knew and it was just that I was so secure of myself that I didn't care hahahaha, I don't know why he never even made a small comment .

Oh, how funny...and awful! All those events all those years with a bald spot. Well, maybe there were years that it didn't show....

One rule I have when arriving home is not to inspect my hair. If the cowlicks exposed my scalp, I'd rather not know about it!

phobsftw
April 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
I get some of my scalp showing through when my hair is in a ponytail. It is mostly because my hair gets oily fast though.

wavykisses
April 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Oh, how funny...and awful! All those events all those years with a bald spot. Well, maybe there were years that it didn't show....

One rule I have when arriving home is not to inspect my hair. If the cowlicks exposed my scalp, I'd rather not know about it!

hahaha I know all I can do is laugh, I mean he didn't even said anything when we were daiting maybe that made him to love me because I was one secure bald chick hahaha.

DoubleCrowned
April 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
hahaha I know all I can do is laugh, I mean he didn't even said anything when we were daiting maybe that made him to love me because I was one secure bald chick hahaha.

Maybe hair cleavage is an advantage for snagging men. Not only are you presumed secure; maybe the guys think, "Now THIS girl will love me even if I go bald."

wavykisses
April 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Maybe hair cleavage is an advantage for snagging men. Not only are you presumed secure; maybe the guys think, "Now THIS girl will love me even if I go bald."
Doublecrowned you are making my day today LOL I never thought of that but he is getting a little bald from the sides,
on his family men are bald at certain age.
I officialy love my cleavage :p.

CarpeDM
April 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I get some of my scalp showing through when my hair is in a ponytail. It is mostly because my hair gets oily fast though.

I have oily hair too and it certainly doesn't help out the situation :o

Kwongdzu
April 13th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents that I had hair cleavage something FIERCE when I had a pixie cut and pretty much none now at APL, so I don't think there's necessarily a connection.

Thank goodness for this thread! I've hesitated growing my hair from a pixie for years because of my cleavage issue, but it's just as bad growing out! Good to know, and makes perfect sense, that updos and having it longer will help. Sigh. I love LHC!

Bonkers57
April 13th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I'm very thankful for LHC, too. I haven't grown my hair out in decades because of my perceived "flaws." My hair is too fine, too straight, too much cleavage, too too! I find the way it looks now, even though I've got a long way to go, it looks better now than it did when it was short. More flattering to my face.

jeanniet
April 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I have hair cleavage, too. The first time I saw it I panicked because I thought I was losing my hair, and then I realized that until I started doing buns I never really checked the back of my head so I had no idea what it looked like anyway. After a while I decided I had the same amount of hair as always and stopped worrying. I do try to cover the cleavage line when I'm doing my buns, because I don't like the way it looks.

celebriangel
April 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I am lucky to have fairly thick hair (which, sadly, has got thinner recently! What happened? Maybe it was the glandular fever...) but I find that stylists will ALWAYS bloody tell you to get shoulder-length hair with layers, nomatter your hair type/texture/thickness/whether it'll make you look like a poodle/like your hair's so thin it might fly away/whether your wurly hair will just look messy/whether your hair needs length to stop it poofing out.

Man, that annoys me. It just seems that, like, the done thing is shoulder-APL hair with layers, and stylists recite this like it's a mantra, and they can't think anything else. The number of times I've been given layers I didn't want/ *explicitly asked to be cut out*....

Sorry, any LHC/long-hair salon stylists. It's just...they all seem to have the same, in some cases stupid, ideas about hair. (flat-ironing is a good idea, chemical colour will make your hair look "healthy" :confused:)

My advice? Don't listen. Only if you've seen someone's hair *more than once* can you even begin to say whether or not they're thinning.

EdG
April 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Hair cleavage is a problem (maybe even more-so for men). ;)

I wash my hair when it gets to the point of clumping together due to sebum. The problem becomes most noticeable around my temples, where the hair is thin anyway.
Ed

CarpeDM
April 14th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have hair cleavage, too. The first time I saw it I panicked because I thought I was losing my hair, and then I realized that until I started doing buns I never really checked the back of my head so I had no idea what it looked like anyway. After a while I decided I had the same amount of hair as always and stopped worrying. I do try to cover the cleavage line when I'm doing my buns, because I don't like the way it looks.

Oh my goodness your hair looks so thick from your siggy pic, I am surprised you have any hair cleavage at all!!

I didn't realize I had it either until it was brought to my attention and then I was like has this been here the whole time and I had no idea?

CarpeDM
June 30th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Update: A couple of months ago I started using a castor oil mix which has helped with my hair cleavage...

Here is my mix formula:
- A glass 4 ounce bottle dropper
- I fill the bottle up with almost half each of organic castor oil and grapeseed oil, then I add about 5 drops of organic rosemary, lavendar, basil, cedarwood, and sage oils.

I've been massaging the oil on the scalp areas that are thin before bedtime a couple of times a week and I've noticed a bunch of baby hairs sprout up in those areas.

I've also started to switch up my part from the middle to the sides and using rosemary tea rinses which seem to help as well.

Just wanted to share for those that might be interested....

MonaLisa
June 30th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Glad to hear it's working!
I use castor oil + EVOO but would love to add some rosemary, just don't know where to get it! :)

CarpeDM
June 30th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Glad to hear it's working!
I use castor oil + EVOO but would love to add some rosemary, just don't know where to get it! :)

I'm a big fan of Amazon!

justgreen
June 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
A lot of us gurus have had excellent results with Moonchaser's SS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49222&highlight=moonchaser%27s+oil)oil blend for stimulating the scalp and getting new hair growth. I can think of one excellent example and that was Jessie58. Her hair was thin all along the sides and WOW, her hair is nice and thick now.

CarpeDM
June 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
A lot of us gurus have had excellent results with Moonchaser's SS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49222&highlight=moonchaser%27s+oil)oil blend for stimulating the scalp and getting new hair growth. I can think of one excellent example and that was Jessie58. Her hair was thin all along the sides and WOW, her hair is nice and thick now.

Super! Just wanted to add that there are also two great threads to check out, the castor oil thread and the essential oil thread which has lots of growth and regrowth info and I think some Moonchaser's info somewhere...

CarpeDM
October 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Also rooibos tea has been said to help a little...

giuditta
October 28th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I started applying a mix of rooibos and neem lotion after every wash, and a mix of castor and neem oil once a week.
Don't know if it helps yet but my scalp feels really good.

I hope it will help with the "cleavage" I have on the corwn of my head...

I am happy to see some pictures of your cleavages, it is exactly the way mine is! And I always thought I was the only one and that I was balding like a man, o I love this forum...

The funniest thing is a few months ago when I took a picture of my hennaed hair. I saw a huuuuge hair cleavage and panicked cause it was so much worse than it used to be! Then a friend came over and looked at the picture....
...and found out that I had posted it upside down, so it was my chin and nose showing, not my scalp!

WackyLisa
October 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
While I've never had full thick hair, it used to be be fuller. A few medications caused thinning. When it was at it's worse I had it cut to minimize the thinning. Well, it looked great when the stylist did it but I couldn't replicate that. It looked much worse after the cut than before. iirc it was fairly short at the time. Definitely above shoulders. I don't know if it would have been less noticeable with shoulder length hair.
Today, some of it has grown back but not all. I do best with it long. An updo hides a great deal. I do think I have 'hair cleavage' but I try not to worry about it. I can't change my genes or the damage done by the meds.
I am considering bangs to hide my monster forehead but I'm not sure I can stand to lose that hair no matter how thin a strip of bangs I get.

heidi w.
October 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
About two years ago, I went to a new salon for a cut and the stylist told me my scalp hair was thinning. Well inside I sort of freaked out when he told me this. He then went on to tell me that I really needed layers and I should keep it shorter, shoulder length to be specific. Since then I have been a little worried that my hair cleavage might be too much. However there were a couple of considerations I have thought about since then. First, this was the only time I had seen this stylist and I'm not quite sure he understood that my hair wasn't necessarily thinning, it was just thin in the frontal scalp area and always has been, so how could he say it was thinning if it had always been this way and he had never seen me before? Second, my mom has the same hair and her hair is also thin in the front, so I'm pretty sure it is genetically linked and there isn't much I can do about it. Still I have to wonder how much hair cleavage is considered ok? Is there a point where one should cut shorter, and not grow longer if you don't have a lot of hair in the front? Does longer hair somehow make it worse, or should I just not be worried about it?

If you're shedding a lot in clumps, get checked for thyroid. Based on your description of things, it sounds as though he may not realize that in general brunettes do not have overly thick hair, in actuality, statistically speaking at least. And hair growing thinner in front is relatively average.

So, I say, don't worry about this stylist pending any health concerns such as anemia which can create chronic increas in shedding rates or a thyroid condition, which is often undiagnoses until it becomes more obvious and critical.

Grow your own way.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 28th, 2011, 08:38 AM
By the way, what is this "cleavage" thing you refer to? I've never heard of anyone using that word in reference to hair. Someone please explain it to me.

Thank you,
heidi w.

CarpeDM
October 28th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I started applying a mix of rooibos and neem lotion after every wash, and a mix of castor and neem oil once a week.
Don't know if it helps yet but my scalp feels really good.

I hope it will help with the "cleavage" I have on the corwn of my head...

I am happy to see some pictures of your cleavages, it is exactly the way mine is! And I always thought I was the only one and that I was balding like a man, o I love this forum...

The funniest thing is a few months ago when I took a picture of my hennaed hair. I saw a huuuuge hair cleavage and panicked cause it was so much worse than it used to be! Then a friend came over and looked at the picture....
...and found out that I had posted it upside down, so it was my chin and nose showing, not my scalp!

OMG that made me laugh! :D

UP Lisa
October 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM
My hair is also thin in the front, and on the sides I wish it was thicker, but at least it covers my scalp. My Mother has much thicker hair in the front.:p.

Mopolop
October 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
So that's what it's called! I took a photo of the top of my head once and was horrified that I could see my scalp so clearly. I thought I was going bald! I'm so happy I'm not the only one. :)

Cirafly24
October 28th, 2011, 06:54 PM
By the way, what is this "cleavage" thing you refer to? I've never heard of anyone using that word in reference to hair. Someone please explain it to me.

Thank you,
heidi w.

Hair cleavage is when you can see your scalp through your hair. For me, it's almost like there are partings throughout my scalp hair, so I have lines of scalp visible in updos.

I use a fine tooth comb to smooth them out, and a little hairspray or gel to hold it like that. I'm trying to get away from hairspray and gel, but so far I haven't found anything else that keeps the cleavage from coming back within an hour.

ETA: I should add that when my hair is freshly washed, I don't have too much scalp cleavage, but when it starts to get oily (24 hours post wash), that's when the cleavage kicks in.

PraiseCheeses
October 28th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Gratuitous cleavage shots!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8996&pictureid=117449 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8996&pictureid=117450

Sometimes my part seriously goes halfway down the back of my head. WTF?

I've found it helps to comb my hair at the scalp with a fine-tooth comb immediately after I've detangled when it's wet. As I pull the comb down vertically, I wiggle it back and forth horizontally against my scalp. It seems to help align the hairs in fewer wacky directions.

Carpe, I see this is an old thread, but add me to the list of people who think your hair is beautiful!

luxepiggy
October 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM
At first, I thought today's updo was OK . . .
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/frenchtwistleft.jpg

Then I looked at the other side - eep! Do-over (*(oo)*)
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/frenchtwistright.jpg

CarpeDM
October 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Gratuitous cleavage shots!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8996&pictureid=117449 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8996&pictureid=117450

Sometimes my part seriously goes halfway down the back of my head. WTF?

I've found it helps to comb my hair at the scalp with a fine-tooth comb immediately after I've detangled when it's wet. As I pull the comb down vertically, I wiggle it back and forth horizontally against my scalp. It seems to help align the hairs in fewer wacky directions.

Carpe, I see this is an old thread, but add me to the list of people who think your hair is beautiful!

Love the picture, your braid is so thick and gorgeous! AND thank you for the sweet compliment :blossom: