PDA

View Full Version : Good shampoos for super-sensitive eczema scalp?

Konstifik
February 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I've been tackling eczema in the scalp for a year now, it just don't want to go away! :steam
I've also tried to find a washing method which suits my ever-angry scalp but with no success. CO and WO is out of the question. My hair LOVES shampoo (for some reason) but my scalp seems to hate everything. So my mission is to find a shampoo which both the hair and scalp could agree on.
So far I've used Urtekrams dandruff shampoo, Lush Big and Soak n Float shampoo bar, Z skin repair shampoo, Body shops rainforest shampoo (both moisture and radiance). And probably a few more. My hair likes most of them. The scalp is, at best, grumpy. :p

So, all you fellow super-sensitive scalps out there - got a miracle product? :D

aenflex
February 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
T-Gel....if you feel like doing a coal-tar thing.
Otherwise perhaps something very gentle, without sulfates. I don't have scalp issues, but my BF does and he solves it like this: Either using Lush Snake Oil scalp treatment (retro section) OR by washing less and using grapeseed oil direct to the scalp in the shower. For a a long haired female though I am not sure if the grapeseed direct to scalp is feasible :) GL!!!

Konstifik
February 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
T-Gel....if you feel like doing a coal-tar thing.
Otherwise perhaps something very gentle, without sulfates. I don't have scalp issues, but my BF does and he solves it like this: Either using Lush Snake Oil scalp treatment (retro section) OR by washing less and using grapeseed oil direct to the scalp in the shower. For a a long haired female though I am not sure if the grapeseed direct to scalp is feasible :) GL!!!

I've tried to use the snake oil before showering, but so far I haven't noticed any difference.
Grapeseed oil sounds... interesting, and weird. I have no idea where to buy that. But I'll keep my eyes open for it. :D
Does he use it like an ordinary shampoo?

Oh, and T-gel - I have to look that stuff up! I have no idea what it is... Yet. ^^

UPDATE: T-gel doesn't seem to be available here in Sweden... :(

SeaPhoenix
February 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM
What about a shampoo bar (I never really got them to work perfectly for me, but many folks here have). There's also Toadstool's shampoo (try the unscented one) - it's also soap based, but in liquid form instead of solid, like shampoo bars. And I've had some pretty good success with it, so long as I avoid their deep treatment conditioner. Both are sulfate free, with less irritants in them.

Even though my hair was never great with shampoo bars - I can say for sure that it never aggravated my skin which is why I'd suggest something soap based over sulphate based. (I also have eczema).

Konstifik
February 28th, 2011, 11:24 PM
What about a shampoo bar (I never really got them to work perfectly for me, but many folks here have). There's also Toadstool's shampoo (try the unscented one) - it's also soap based, but in liquid form instead of solid, like shampoo bars. And I've had some pretty good success with it, so long as I avoid their deep treatment conditioner. Both are sulfate free, with less irritants in them.

Even though my hair was never great with shampoo bars - I can say for sure that it never aggravated my skin which is why I'd suggest something soap based over sulphate based. (I also have eczema).

I've tried a few bars from Lush with no success. Toadstool doesn't seem to ship outside the US, unfortunately, but Urtekrams shampoos are also based on saponified coconut. My scalp only dislikes it (not hate it ;)) but the hair gets coated with ickyness which is hard to get rid of.

--

I've found this, which seems interesting. It's a Neem hair and scalp oil from Dr. Hauschka:

Ingredients: Arachis Hypogaea, Melia Azadirachta, Triticum Vulgare, Chamomilla Recutita, Lecithin, Alcohol, Rosmarinus Officinalis, Parfum, Limonene*, Linalool*.

SeaPhoenix
February 28th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Lush uses sulphates though - might want to check in to Chagrin Valley or Prairie Herbs - those are actual soap based shampoo bars - and I think they both ship overseas :-)

Konstifik
March 1st, 2011, 12:20 AM
Lush uses sulphates though - might want to check in to Chagrin Valley or Prairie Herbs - those are actual soap based shampoo bars - and I think they both ship overseas :-)

I've been curious about the chagrin valley bars for a while, but the shipping cost is about five times higher than the cost of the products I want. :p
So I'd prefer shampoos which are available in Sweden, or at least Europe. US shipping costs can be horrible.

I know, I'm very demanding. :D

SeaPhoenix
March 1st, 2011, 03:43 AM
Wow... I just googled mailing rates to Sweden (I'm terminally curious about everything). Holy cow. Just flat rate envelopes are close to 14.00... Yeah - definitely don't blame you with wanting to find something local that doesn't require shipping! Good luck on your search - and hopefully someone from your neck of the woods will pop up with some helpful suggestions!

Konstifik
March 1st, 2011, 11:38 AM
Wow... I just googled mailing rates to Sweden (I'm terminally curious about everything). Holy cow. Just flat rate envelopes are close to 14.00... Yeah - definitely don't blame you with wanting to find something local that doesn't require shipping! Good luck on your search - and hopefully someone from your neck of the woods will pop up with some helpful suggestions!

Hehe, yeah. Sometimes the shipping is absurd. I remember I payed 40 USD for shipping of one small silicon item, weighting less than an apple and small as one as well... But now I've learned from my mistake. :rolleyes: ;)

candlesandfish
March 2nd, 2011, 03:05 AM
Maybe try Lush's Cynthia Sylvia Stout? I have ichthyosis (can act somewhat like eczema, just head (including scalp) to toe (including the soles of my feet!)) and my scalp is stupid, but it tolerates cynthia pretty well. It doesn't like hot water ever though, so remember that - it might help.

Also they have something called Hair Doctor which is a scalp treatment that's also good for hair, smells like mint & chocolate yumyum. It's good stuff! Try that?

Nini
March 2nd, 2011, 03:32 AM
If you fill up the small flat rate envelope from Ida at Chagrin Valley it's totally worth it! I don't use much soap, and I get the sample size from her, which lasts me a long time.

I used the bars on my hair for a while, but with the rinsing it got to take too much time. So now I use Urtekram. Giving up shampoos with SLS made the one eczema spot I had on my scalp go away.

I've tried several types from Urtekram. The ones that I've liked the most have been Lavender, Chamomile and Brown Sugar. I have one in my shower currently that didn't work, but I can't remember what type. For some reason it wouldn't rinse out properly. So that might be your problem.

Besides, my hair doesn't get silky soft with these kinds of shampoos. Not coated exactly, but some added texture. Which is fine with me since I have trouble bunning or braiding otherwise. I get the halo from hell;)

Do you rinse extra well?

Temperatur might also be an issue. I LOVE long, hot showers, but my skin doesn't:(

Less washing might help.

Do you wear hairclips or hairtoys that rest agains your scalp? You might react to some of them as well.

Konstifik
March 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
If you fill up the small flat rate envelope from Ida at Chagrin Valley it's totally worth it! I don't use much soap, and I get the sample size from her, which lasts me a long time.

I used the bars on my hair for a while, but with the rinsing it got to take too much time. So now I use Urtekram. Giving up shampoos with SLS made the one eczema spot I had on my scalp go away.

I've tried several types from Urtekram. The ones that I've liked the most have been Lavender, Chamomile and Brown Sugar. I have one in my shower currently that didn't work, but I can't remember what type. For some reason it wouldn't rinse out properly. So that might be your problem.

Besides, my hair doesn't get silky soft with these kinds of shampoos. Not coated exactly, but some added texture. Which is fine with me since I have trouble bunning or braiding otherwise. I get the halo from hell;)

Do you rinse extra well?

Temperatur might also be an issue. I LOVE long, hot showers, but my skin doesn't:(

Less washing might help.

Do you wear hairclips or hairtoys that rest agains your scalp? You might react to some of them as well.

I've tried Urtekrams aloe vera, brown sugar, seaweed and rosemary shampoos, and other soap-based shampoos. But my hair just don't like them at all, especially the brown sugar one which is probably the worst shampoo my hair has ever encountered (:(), and the scalp is pretty much indifferent. And "coconut derived" or "saponified coconut" can in some cases just be a fancier name of SLS anyways. :rolleyes:
I do rinse for a long time, aiming the shower head so I don't miss any spots. I don't like showering in hot water anyways, so I doubt temperature is the problem. :)

So it's not really important what the surfactant is made of, the important things is that it's gentle to the scalp. If it's low-dose SLS or anything else I don't care, as long as my scalp isn't troubled. :)

I wash about 2-3 times per week. Curiously, my scalp feels the best just after washing and one day after it. After that, the itchyness and soreness crawls back and it gets worse for every day. That's why I need a shampoo that's really gentle so my hair and scalp can stand washing a few times per week.

This eczema on the scalp is quite the opposite of the eczema I usually have on other parts of the body - which doesn't like getting washed. This scalp-eczema seems to like it though...

Bought another Lush bar, squeaky green, and I'll give it a try soon. :)

Greenhousegirl
March 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I know it's not shampoo but have you tried baking soda and vinegar rinses?
I don't have scalp eczema, but i do have it on my ankles. Ever since i switched off shampoo it's gotten incredibly better.
I wonder if you could find the materials locally to make homemade shampoo bars? does anyone have a recipe?

Konstifik
March 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I don't have scalp eczema, but i do have it on my ankles. Ever since i switched off shampoo it's gotten incredibly better.
I wonder if you could find the materials locally to make homemade shampoo bars? does anyone have a recipe?

I have tried vinegar rinses. They didn't affect the scalp in any way, but my hair shines from them. :D Baking soda I haven't tried. I can't find pure baking soda anywhere around here. :/

I'd love to make my own shampoos! But yeah, this place I live at sucks. DIY-projects are very hard to do without ordering from the web.

Darkhorse1
March 6th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I've suffered with eczema and dandruff my whole life--mine tends to be more 'patchy' than chronic--I'll get it and then it goes away--usually when I'm mega stressed, it comes back.

So far, I've found Head and Shoulders the best product. I no longer have a scalp I want to scratch until it bleeds, nor do I have the patches of flakes I used to get on my scalp, even my forehead and eyelids--how that can affect further down? Who knows, but I know for dandruff, that fungus lives under the skin. Zinc, which is what H&S is using as it's healing component, heals many skin issues so perhaps try this to start? For more stubborn dandruff flakes, I had to use Nizoral, which smelled horrid, made the itching worse (healing the fungus), but when I used it just twice, and went back to H&S, mega itching was gone and flakes soon followed.

Best of luck! Natural shampoos that contain tea tree oil have worked for others I know.

Konstifik
March 6th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I've suffered with eczema and dandruff my whole life--mine tends to be more 'patchy' than chronic--I'll get it and then it goes away--usually when I'm mega stressed, it comes back.

So far, I've found Head and Shoulders the best product. I no longer have a scalp I want to scratch until it bleeds, nor do I have the patches of flakes I used to get on my scalp, even my forehead and eyelids--how that can affect further down? Who knows, but I know for dandruff, that fungus lives under the skin. Zinc, which is what H&S is using as it's healing component, heals many skin issues so perhaps try this to start? For more stubborn dandruff flakes, I had to use Nizoral, which smelled horrid, made the itching worse (healing the fungus), but when I used it just twice, and went back to H&S, mega itching was gone and flakes soon followed.

Best of luck! Natural shampoos that contain tea tree oil have worked for others I know.

Oh, H&S is definitely available here. :D I might give it a try! Good to hear it helped your scalp. :)

I'm also taking up Lushs Snake Oil again, this time more religiously, hoping the tea tree will do something.

CrisDee
March 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM

My daughter's scalp is a lot like yours sounds, and the baking soda/vinegar routine is the only thing that's kept hers under control. You should be able to find baking soda in your baking goods aisle in the grocery store - it might also be called sodium bicarbonate. Good luck!

Konstifik
March 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM
My daughter's scalp is a lot like yours sounds, and the baking soda/vinegar routine is the only thing that's kept hers under control. You should be able to find baking soda in your baking goods aisle in the grocery store - it might also be called sodium bicarbonate. Good luck!

Yeah, I've been looking there, but no success. :/
Does it have to be pure sodium bicarbonate?

Happymoonlight
March 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Well, I’ve tried lush shampoo as well the coco and camomile wash bar and got a very itchy scalp now I use it to wash my hand knitted socks for it ;-)

At the moment I am using Logona shampoo age energy and never had any problems with it. Depending where you’re living it can be difficult to get hold of it

stkl
March 7th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I have this, and i have to say that if your scalp is sensitive rather than dandruff you might want to stay well clear of head and shoulders. I found it very harsh, and actually made my condition worse, even the one for sensitive scalps.

Giovanni tripple teatree treat is pretty good as is Aubrey organics sensitive scalp shampoo (though it may dry you hair a bit, good with CWC), (I herb do cheap international shiping)

Non natural Klorane gentle oat milk shampoo is my absolute favourite, but depending on the severity of your condition you might want to try somthing more medicated like Polytar or the E45 shampoo.

Also have you tried baby shampoo? i used the johnsons chamomile one with great results, but stopped because i wanted to try sulphate free.

hope this helps xxxx

Idun
March 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I've been looking there, but no success. :/
Does it have to be pure sodium bicarbonate?

In Norway you have to look for "Natron", not bakingpowder. Maybe it´s called something similar in Sweden.

Firefox7275
March 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM
A shampoo containing urea, often deficient in skin with eczema. I don't know which brands are available in the US but your dermatologist or a pharmacist should be able to advise. If the eczema on your head is behaving differently to the eczema on your body, are you sure there is not something else going on - contact dermatitis or irritation from a mild opportunistic infection? Perhaps your hairbrush is transferring conditioner or another product to your scalp? Or something off your pillow or hands or towel? Do antihistamines make any difference?

It took me months to figure out why the eczema on my elbow randomly flares up ... shampoo running down my arm! :rolleyes: The other thing that affects mine is alcohol, as in drinking it. The eczema is improved the next day (?immune suppression?) but rebounds thereafter. The interaction of the two is obviously not straighforward.

hayesa
March 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I have horrible reactions to most shampoos- right up to my scalp blistering up. At the moment though, my scalp is very happy on Lush's Rehab liquid shampoo. No smarting, itching or burning, and I've been using it for two months and I'm only halfway through a big bottle of it. The only reason I've come up with as to why it's okay is that it's mostly fruit juices and oils. :)

GrowingGlory
March 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Maybe you could make a gentle hair wash from ground oat powder. Sprinkle on oily areas, leave in for a few minutes, then brush through or rinse. A white tea rinse might work, too. Good luck.