PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of more expensive brand hair products?

BeccaAngel
February 28th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I usually go for what I can afford and as natural as possible. But sometimes I get the urge to go for a more pricey brand because it smells great. Also makes my hair feel and look great. At the moment I'm using John Freida Brilliant Brunette (moisturizing and shine) conditioner and it costs about 5 to 6 dollars average for a bottle. Luckily it was 30% extra for free so I got a pretty good deal. What are some of the more pricey hair products that you can't resist? That you just got to have!:)

Lianna
February 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Well, I've seen people who buys $40 shampoos on YouTube. I'm not sure what I think, maybe "Seriously? Why pay that much?" But their hair looked great, and if they can afford...Well, I wonder if they can't get such nice looking hair with more "regular products". I use a L'oreal shampoo that's about $5 and pretty popular in my country, not exactly "expensive", just average, I think. Other than that, I buy a similar priced conditioner and some oil, that's it. When I was CO I used a lot more conditioner, and that became kinda pricey since I wash everyday.

aenflex
February 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Trust me I wanted to. I've spent a boatload of $$ on higher end hair stuff. I guess there is some truth to the fact that some high end products do use better ingredients, test more and perhaps have better formulations. But in reality, the Suave Professionals shampoo and conditioner that I use works just as well as the Matrix products that I used for years and years. And plain old coconut oil is a better moisturizer than any conditioner or treatment I have ever used. If you can afford high end stuff and it works for you, I say go for it. I would personally rather spend my extra money on clothes and stuff for my house. Thankfully Suave lets me do that :) I also really like the Organix line, which can be got in drugstores nationwide...

Angeletti
February 28th, 2011, 01:13 PM
My favorite products would be considered an expensive brand (It's a 10), but I only use them because my hair is happy with them over everything else I have tried so far, I don't feel they are superior over the inexpensive stuff because those things might work for someone else just as well, not to mention save them money.

virgo75
February 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I think it really depends on your hair and how they respond to different products.

I've tried a LOT of products - high end, drugstore, and health food store.

The main difference I've noticed is that high end products feel like they do the job, melt into your hair, and don't leave a residue. Most drugstore products I've used leave some sort of residue and/or buildup whether they have cones or not. And health food store products are a serious gamble because there's really no telling if they work or not. Some of my worst hair product experiences were with products from Whole Foods which I bought because they were more "natural" and some of the ingredients or products themselves got rave reviews here and on other hair boards.

That being said, if you can grow your hair out and have it be healthy using Suave and Vo5, then more power to ya!

My hair was at its longest(past waist length), permed, dyed, and flat ironed half to death but was still shiny and healthy when I was using Pantene. Then they changed the formula and all heck broke loose. :nono: Now I'm still struggling to find something that my hair responds to as well as it used to respond to the old Pantene even though I no longer do all those things to my hair.

pepperminttea
February 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I try to keep a balance of what my hair likes, in relation to what I can afford. In hard water, mine is happy with a dirt cheap supermarket's own brand shampoo. After all, if you're using sulphates, there's no point paying over the odds. :) I don't think there's a lot of difference in commonly available brands if you're happy with the ingredients; 'cones, sulphates, fragrance and price are all that's really in it for me. Conditioner's a different matter though; I use an all natural coconut oil-based one (Pure 'Nuff Stuff), and it's at the top of a normal price range. But I don't mind paying a bit more on that, given the money goes to a small family-based company in the UK, as opposed to a big name hairdresser or corporation.

Lady-Djenevre
February 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I am in the UK and there have been a number of TV exposes on the (non existent) difference between cheaper and more expensive brands of cosmetics and hair goods. I would never pay just for a name or fancy packaging and sometimes I just use the supermarket own label. I think you have to do what you feel comfortable with. I would feel guilty paying a lot for a big brand name and fancy packaging. However if someone buys me a gift I dont refuse to use it!

HintOfMint
February 28th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Some of the higher end stuff is great. If I ever go back to cones, I'll probably splurge every once in a while on Redken, that stuff was brilliant.

In fact, for my bangs, I might get a Redken straightening balm. One of my friends uses it and even in the most humid weather, her hair is perfectly straight and I know for a fact her hair is naturally curly. My John Frieda stuff just doesn't do that.

However, when it comes to cone-free conditioners, I stick to the cheap drugstore stuff. I experimented with Body Shop conditioners and holy crap, that stuff is building up! Really not worth the cash.

For shampoos, I used to not be picky, but then I realized that a lot of them have fillers that can build up, so I started paying more attention there. Still haven't left the drugstore stuff, I'm using Neutrogena's Anti-Residue and that's really the best clarifier I have ever used.

I guess the bottom line is, for styling products (emphasis on styling), I go pricey. For shampoos and conditioners I can be cheap, but still picky.

Ais
February 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I tend to stick to cheap enough brands - students don't have any choice in the matter :p If I'm changing my conditioner or shampoo it generally comes down to what's on offer in the store! Obviously it has to be compatible with my hair - and coney - but I rarely spend much money on products. Often the best approach is natural, and that works out pretty inexpensive for me!

sunnyhope
February 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I never buy the supermarket stuff, I rather pay more for my shampoo and conditioner and such and know it is quality ingredienses in them and they last me twice as long as the cheapy stuff i used when i was younger.
I am a qualified hairdresser too so i know the research that goes into these shampoos and in the cheaper stuff they add bad fillers and water so you need to use twice the amount and it doesnt do anything good for my hair.
|Me with my bsl lenght hair can have a 250 ml shampoo and conditioner bottle for 3 or 4 months at the least.
I have a liter bottle now which i have had for 8 months and its not empty yet..............

Delila
February 28th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I tend to use salon type products, long term. I experiment with other stuff, low and high end, but always go back.

In recent years, I've been happiest with GM, but Biolage has been just fine too.

lapushka
February 28th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I usually go for what I can afford and as natural as possible. But sometimes I get the urge to go for a more pricey brand because it smells great. Also makes my hair feel and look great. At the moment I'm using John Freida Brilliant Brunette (moisturizing and shine) conditioner and it costs about 5 to 6 dollars average for a bottle. Luckily it was 30% extra for free so I got a pretty good deal. What are some of the more pricey hair products that you can't resist? That you just got to have!:)

I've tried one very pricey hair mask (Schwarzkopf Bonacure) and even though it was lovely, smelled great, and the consistency was *very* fine and smooth compared to the supermarket Schwarzkopf line (chunkier mask consistency), I couldn't justify the cost to myself. In the end the results of the cheaper and the more expensive mask were exactly the same (both are cone bombs). Why spend more? It's been years and I still feel guilty about spending the extra cash! It took me years to use up the more expensive product. I hardly dared use it!

I've tried more natural brands and a number of them (depends on the brand) tend to expire, and quite fast. I've had products change color (Avalon Organics shampoo). I've had products become runny (Lavera Neutral shampoo, De Traay shampoo). I switch up products a lot, so something that can stay on the shelf for quite a bit, and that won't expire on me, is much more meaningful to me.

So no, I can get a lot happier from cheaper products that have great results.

The only thing I do spoil myself with is with products that I can't find where I live.

Vorvolaka
February 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm one for the cheaper brands. I think the most expensive thing I use is coconut oil and that lasts ages.

What I save on shampoo, goes straight to hairtoys or books though!

Mirsha
February 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
For shampoo I go with the cheapest I find, except for clarifying shampoo I haven't noticed much of a difference :shrug:

Conditioner.. drugstore is all I can justify, I think I tried them all over the course of the years. I keep coming back to my favourite - Gliss Kur Liquid Silk :D

HuggyBear
February 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
My hair doesn't know the difference.:)

ktani
February 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Over the years I have bought both expensive brands of products and cheaper ones. It depends on how well a product is formulated and how well it works, not the price in my opinion.

I currently use a drugstore brand of shampoo I import because it is not available in North America (Sunsilk Lively Blonde) and it works for me better than pricier shampoos I have used in the past.

GrowingGlory
February 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Which GM products do you use? I can't afford a salon visit but need a new routine for summer.

MandyBeth
February 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM
For my hair, CO washing, Pantene Color Care works the best. For conditioner in the shower, tried Biolage and ick, but the GVP version is awesome. But for shampoo, right now, nothing beats Redken Clear Moisture. So I run from the cheap drugstore, to the expensive knock offs to the expensive stuff.

moog
February 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I've used a lot of different hair products over the years, ranging from super cheap funny coloured supermarket's own types, up to whatever posher stuff I could nick off my mum when I went to stay with her! I can't say that the more expensive ones were any better, more of a case of what suited my hair's needs at the time.

Recently though, I have taken the plunge and invested in some Kerastase shampoo and conditioner, way beyond what I could really afford, but I saved up for it. I really couldn't be happier, my hair has given me so much grief over the last year, but the improvement I'm seeing with these products is brilliant.

Instead of being coarse, wiry and zig zagged/spirally (not in a good way!) and shedding LOADS it is actually sitting calmly in waves, and shiny, without having done anything other than let it air dry (no styling, no other products etc). After the first wash I got compliments on how different my hair looked and it's finally given me some hope back!

I don't think more expensive shampoos are always necessary, or better, but if you can I think it's definitely good to experiment across a broad price range to see what suits you!

Kat Girl
February 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I'm sold on wen. The cleansing conditioner is $30. per bottle and a bottle doesn't even last a month. But that and the other products have been so good to my hair it's worth it to me. About 2 years ago I got highlights that were lighter than my hair and the stylist over processed my hair making it like straw and cotton candy. It was soooooo horrible, and I had to grow out the damage, but wen made it bearable. I've been hooked on it ever since.

LotusFIre
February 28th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I have been using Vo5 shmapoo for a long time and it is ok. Just ok. Pantene almost destroyed me though, and I'm not really pleased with a lot of brands I have tried.
SOO I am giving up on drugstore brands and experimenting with Sally's beauty supply, they have salon quality products for cheaper.
First experiment, Mane and Tail Shampoo and Diamond Shine conditioner.
I just couldn't commit to one brand;)

patienceneeded
February 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I tend to go back and forth from drugstore to high-end. I have experiemented with all sorts of hair-care stuff, some good some bad.

I tried "natural" and organic stuff for about 3 months, it was AWFUL. My hair never looked or felt good. Shampoo Bars were the WORST. I know they work amazing for others but my hair absolutely hated going natural and cone-free.

For drugstore stuff I tend to go for Pantene, it works well for me. My hair adores cones I've discovered. I really like their medium-thick formulas, my hair needs the cones. I also really like the Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo for clarifying, which I do about once a month/every 3 weeks. It works really well for me.

For the more pricey brands, nothing beats Redken (IMHO). Right now I have their new "Extreme" shampoo and conditioner and it is GREAT. It has protein in it, which my hair also likes. I have never found fault with anything Redken makes. I also use their styling products. Their Fresh Curls stuff is fabulous. Their shine gloss (Glass) is great too. I have generally really liked the pricey stuff when I have purchased it. Redken is the best though!

Right now I have both Pantene shampoo and conditioner as well as te Redken Extreme poo/condish in my shower. I only use Redken products on my hair anymore. I've had enough trial and error, I'm sticking with what I already know my hair likes. ;)

x0h_bother
February 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I have both and all I can say is 1-ingredients and 2-trial by error. What works for one doesn't for another. I would say that you can buy a $6 and $26 hair treatment but if they both have mineral oil and that doesn't work for your hair, then they both are bad buys. HTH.

Safira
March 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM
I use Salon conditioners and shampoos. I dont care how much my conditioner costs, if it makes my hair shiny, soft and beautiful. I want some pleasure in my life, I have tons of things that dont please me, so I want to pamper myself. I want some luxury in my world, and if some conditioner makes me happy, I aloud it to myself.

After all, I dont have any other obsessions like other women: I dont make-up that much, I dont like purses, shoes or things like that. So this is my feminine vain, and I´m proud of it.

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Ironically enough I find the cheaper all natural products like coconut oil and shampoo bars to be better than the more expensive not so natural hair products in salons.

luxepiggy
March 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM
At the drugstore, you're faced with an enormous wall of plastic bottles, and you are totally on your own to find something that works through your own research and trial & error. But at the salon or department store, someone is there to help you. They're familiar with the different brands and know what specific issues each product is meant to address. They've also accumulated feedback from dozens of other clients.

There are effective, well formulated products at all price points, but I think the average consumer will achieve superior results when purchasing high-end, because they are more likely to actually go home with products that are suitable for both their hairtype and their styling routine.

emmalilies
March 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
I think it really depends on your hair, everyone's hair doesn't react the same to different kinds of shampoos. I use a type of shampoo that costs around 40$ a bottle (handmade, natural products), but with that shampoo I don't need to wash my hair as frequently, I use a much smaller amount of shampoo than I usually would (like 1/4) and my hair feel softer and lighter than it ever felt before. So my shampoo bottle lasts about 6 months if not more. It's a personnal choice that must also include what your hair needs because it varies from one person to another.

irisheyes
March 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM
I don't usually spend alot on shampoo and condish, so i was real glad to find clearance items at CVS for only $1.75. So far I've gotten Renpure, Organix, and Loreal. It's fun to try new products, but I haven't found any miracles worth paying full price for. When the sales are over, I'm back to Suave.

hanne jensen
March 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
I've tried pricey salon products and all I got from them was a lighter wallet and fried hair. I've tried poos that cost over 50 USD and ended up using it to clean the toilet.

What works best for me is Urtekram No Perfume mixed with coconut oil. Yes, Ktani's Movie Star Shampoo Method. Here in Denmark I buy a coconut oil for external use only and it's dirt cheap.

Nera
March 2nd, 2011, 05:33 AM
I've tried so many of those products such as John freida and other expansive hairdressers products... They did some good to me with short hair, but I've been trying them on long hair two, and they just make it feel more messy and chemical. I personally prefer to go organic, sls and cone free. So I would say that more expensive brand porducts aren't necessarily better than cheap products. It really depends on your hair and your preference!