PDA

View Full Version : containing wispies

homeschoolmama
February 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Does anyone have any tricks for containing wispies in babyfine hair? I'm not talking about a few, I have TONS and they don't look like an angel-halo to me, they just look bad.

Today's photo is a really good example of what I'm talking about:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7353&pictureid=97122
They're EVERYWHERE and I don't want to hairspray them, but they're constantly making my nice neat hairstyles look... well, bad!

The problem is I had shingles last year that got into my eye, and it took 8 months to heal. Somehow the combination of stress, the dozens of prescriptions & the forced bedrest (from prescription-induced nausea) caused all sorts of breakage. I trimmed 6" last fall to get rid of the bulk of the damage, but some hair completely fell out and I have a handful of shorter hair at EVERY length right now.

Is there anything I can do to try to contain these? Oil doesn't work, they're too fine to catch in a barrette, and even bobbie-pins don't hold them for more than a few minutes.

Panth
February 28th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Coconut oil mixed 1:1 with aloe vera gel might do it - it should give you enough stick but no worry about the aloe being a humectant and causing drying if you live somewhere with dry air.

2peasinapod
February 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM
The only thing that works for me is a french braid (or sometimes two). I have those wispies and also layers, so my hair sticks out at every length, too. A dutch or french braid is really the only style where it's not noticeable.

pepperminttea
February 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
How do snoods or scarves grab you? You can't get less damaging than a silk scarf, really, and it would keep everything contained until it gained some length. Add some sunglasses, and voila, you're Audrey Hepburn. :D

Delila
February 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm a fan of the George Michael/Madora InStar (http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html) spray. It's kind of hairspray-like, but not problematic, IMO. I spritz it on my hand, rub my hands together and smooth it over my hair, as you say, to contain wispies.

The GM/Madora Frizz Away is a heavier product, and I admit I haven't experimented with it as much. (the InStar is just so easy. :rolleyes: )

Lianna
February 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I just add a little gel over them. The ones I don't like are in the front, and I'm also growing out bangs, so with gel all looks smooth. The ones in the back I don't mind much.

Ais
February 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM
A little light hairspray smoothed on by hand can do the job perfectly?
I like pepperminttea's silk scarf idea too - very Hepburn indeed! :D