PDA

View Full Version : Longlocks to baldlocks??

Mearwynna
June 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Been reading the site since january and started trying to grow it out again. Just lately, within a month or so my hair has started shedding. ~ 40-60 hairs after every wash and when it gets gently combed out. My hair is noticeably thinner now, lost a good bit of my ponytail thickness and even my scalp is showing through my hair. Frankly, I'm horrified. the only times I have ever had such a big shedding out is after a baby, but it's been a few years since I had my last. And the postpartum shed was never this much! I'm only 30. I had to cut baby bang in it because it literally looked like I had a bald spot in the front of my hair.

So a few months ago, in feb or march I changed my routine to stop using sls shampoos. I've been using mostly queen helenes, and vo5, nutribiotic or avalon organics shampoos and conditioner. I have not blow dried in many years, don't curl or straighten and haven't had highlights done for 6 months. I never did highlights that often either.

Since the beggining of this year I've been on a mild calorie restriction but it's not drastic and I'm still eating protien, taking a excellent vitamin. I tried the monistat thing for a little while, like a month or so but quit when I got bored with it. that was back in march. This can't be damage from that, can it? It did not seem to be causing increased shed when I was on it.

I'm frustrated and upset, and I'm not really sure what to do. I feel fine energy wise and don't think I have a health problem. It could be related to stress, as I was working hard for a few months in the begininng of the year, but life is calming down now again. So my hair can stop shedding right!
Oh well. I don't know how much of this I can control or do anything to help. I guess I'm just complaining or wondering if others have experienced this kind of thing too. Gosh, is it common to shed like this sometimes? I kind of feel like I want to cut it all off and go short again if it's going to look so thin and flat. :(

FrannyG
June 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Well, I suggest that if this persists you do go and get blood tests done to rule out any glandular disorders. Having said that, I know from experience that many problems that are caused by stress don't even really hit until the stress is over. It's almost as though the stress keeps you going through the madness, and when things calm down, your body doesn't catch up.

It's not surprising at all if you're experiencing hair loss after the stressful time ends.

Please don't panic. As long as you are otherwise healthy, your hair will be back to normal before you know it. I doubt that you've lost nearly as much hair as you think you have.

Everything's going to be okay. :flowers:

burns_erin
June 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
That kind of shed level should probably be discussed with a physician. If you look around the threads there are several medical reasons besides stress that can cause hair loss.

soleluna
June 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I'm loosing lota of hair too. I think in my case is exams+horrible horrible break up+ very sick grandpa+ generalized sterssful events. So I guess it might be the same in your case. i hope it goes away soon, though.

jessie58
June 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Don't panic yet. I have been through 2 sheds in the last 3 or 4 years and was losing upwards from 200 to 250 hairs a day. Both times it lasted for several months. I have managed to regrow all the hair in the thinning spots and my hair is almost as thick as ever. For me it was due to hormone changes and stress both times. Health related as well the last time.

You might be interested in reading this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001)thread. It has lots of helpful hints and ideas.

In the very first line of the linked thread you will find a link to the original article, which is very in depth. Good luck.

Siava
June 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
For me, 30 has been a landmark year. It's like my hormones have totally changed gears. I did go through a slight shedding phase and my skin got extremely oily. I'm also experiencing hot flashes every now and then. Perhaps what you're experiencing is hormonal? Please seek the advice from your physician about this to rule out anything "sinister" and go from there. Best wishes to you. *hug*

Pegasus Marsters
June 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
You know, 40-60 hairs isn't that many... the average person sheds 100 in a day :) If you're very concerned talk to your doctor, I'm sure they can advise you.

BrianaFineHair
June 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM
You know, 40-60 hairs isn't that many... the average person sheds 100 in a day :) If you're very concerned talk to your doctor, I'm sure they can advise you.

I agree, 40-60 is not much at all. 100 a day is quite normal. (I think some women get obsessive over sheds that are quite normal, in my opinion) I've always shed - all my life. I have always had fine hair and I've still got a head full. Now if one was losing GOBS and GOBS at a time, then I'd feel there was a reason to be concerned. Still, if you're stressed about it, go to your doctor to put your mind at ease. :)

Mearwynna
June 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for replying. You have given me some things to think about, so I will try to figure out if I need to get some tests done or if it will decrease by itself. My normal shed is 10-20 hairs, so it really has tripled. Been paying close attention to my hair since January, even have pictures and we can see that it has lost almost a 1/3 in the last two months. My scalp even shows through in some of the pictures. So I'm not obsessing about it.

As of yet I can't figure out how to post a picture, but if i can I will. I do feel stress has been a big part of this and I will put some time into researching other issues. I thank you for responding to me.