PDA

View Full Version : I clarified for the first time and my scalp hated it.

vanity_acefake
February 28th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Last week I clarified my hair for the first time. My hair and scalp hated it.
My hair felt totally dry afterwards but my scalp is the worst. It is so sore and itchy.
I soaked my hair in conditioner over night, heavily oiled it with coconut oil and a week later it is still so sore and itchy.
Never again!

milagro
February 28th, 2011, 04:00 AM
What did you clarify with? It looks like allergic reaction, not regular irritation :(
Good idea to never touch it again but you may look into other clarifying options for future. SLS-free shampoos do the job and are tolerably mild.

vanity_acefake
February 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I used tresame. And I agree it must be an allergic reaction. I am allergic to quite a lot of shampoos due to rediculasly sensitive skin.
Might take an antihistamine and see if my scalp calms down.
Oh and every SLS free shampoo I have used (there have been many!) I am allergic to!
Can't win.
:)

RadiantNeedle
February 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Mee too! I'm allergic to the ALS/ALES ones, like the Tresseme Low Sulphate shampoo. Even 'sulphate free' shampoos seem to be too harsh :( I really wonder if there are some 'sneaky sulphates' that have funny names so they they can hide in the ingredients list and avoid me recognising them!!

fairystar32
February 28th, 2011, 04:55 AM
That happened to me in the UK I was so scared I never did it again. I have tried again years later though with a different one and been fine...
its real;ly scary though, i reacted immediately and I never have before, to any shampoo..

veggiechick
February 28th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Same here my scalp gets very angry after using a sulphate shampoo. Even goes down to my forehead, it is awful.

Kaeita
February 28th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I react to harsh shampoos too. You could try clarifying with sodium bicarbonate (I think it's baking soda in the US, we call it bicarb soda in Australia) in solution in water. I put half a teaspoon or a full teaspoon in half a litre of water, and pour it slowly over my head, making sure it gets everywhere, then rinse with clean water. I then follow with dilute white vinegar (you can also use apple cider vinegar, but if you have light hair it can stain a bit) - around 50mL in half a litre of water. Depending on what you're trying to remove from your hair, you may need to repeat the process. For longer hair (mine is shoulder length), you may need to use a larger quantity - eg a teaspoon or 2 of bicarb in a litre of water, 100mL vinegar in a litre of water, etc.

I hope your scalp feels better soon!

BritishBraider
February 28th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Tresame naturals went for me as you described...never again!

UltraBella
February 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
The Tresemme Naturals low sulfate is the shampoo I use all the time. I really like it. Sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to it :(
Maybe you could try clarifying again, with something different, after your scalp has had time to get back to normal.
What do you normally wash your hair with ?

GRU
February 28th, 2011, 07:19 AM
If you need to clarify again in the future, maybe do a reverse CWC? Condition your scalp to protect it, and only clarify the majority of your length?

The oral antihistamine is unlikely to work in this situation, you're better off getting an "anti-itch" topical hydrocortisone cream instead. You can get a mild one over-the-counter in any pharmacy or grocery store... apply it at night and then CO-wash it out in the morning.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

mackenzie1818
February 28th, 2011, 07:22 AM
http://www.ehow.com/about_5033566_symptoms-shampoo-allergy.html
:cheese:

curlymarcia
February 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I hope you get better. It seems like an allergic reaction. You can avoid clarifying by using cone free (or soluble cone) products.

Anje
February 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Sure does sound like an allergic reaction.

In the future, you'll be wise to clarify with a solution of baking soda (bicarbonate) dissolved in water instead. It tends to be rather harsh, but it'll bypass the sulfates.

vanity_acefake
February 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Thank yoy all for your kind words and suggestions.
I usually use herbal essences shampoo and conditioner for lovely ends (or whatever it's called) and I am not allergic to it.
I'm sure my scalp will calm down soon.
I'm never using tresame again though.

GRU
February 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Sure does sound like an allergic reaction.

In the future, you'll be wise to clarify with a solution of baking soda (bicarbonate) dissolved in water instead. It tends to be rather harsh, but it'll bypass the sulfates.

Just make sure you follow up with an acidic rinse of some sort! (lemon, ACV, citric acid, etc., diluted with lots of water) I didn't happen to notice that part of the baking soda process when I was a newbie here, and my hair was SOOOOO pissed off for a few days! I blamed it on the baking soda, and then after reading around here a little more I realized that my hair/scalp need ACID not ALKALINE.... one acidic rinse and all was right with the world again!

Do we have a "newbie mistakes I made when I first joined LHC b/c I didn't read enough first" thread? If so, my baking soda episode definitely belongs there!

Anje
February 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Just make sure you follow up with an acidic rinse of some sort!
Good point! Reminds me of the time I used Dr. Bronner's on a camping trip before I knew about acidic rinses. I couldn't comb my hair at all for about 3 days, until I found someone with condish!

Also, follow that up with some conditioner to help fight the post-clarified dryness.

GRU
February 28th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Good point! Reminds me of the time I used Dr. Bronner's on a camping trip before I knew about acidic rinses. I couldn't comb my hair at all for about 3 days, until I found someone with condish!

So glad I'm not the only one who's done stuff like that! :o

SummerSkye
March 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
OH NO!! Sorry sweetie, was it the one I told you about? Yet again a product that works on one of us and not the other! Ive got a list of things my hair hates and I bet they work great on you! How is it now? X

vanity_acefake
March 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
SummerSkye
Yes it was the one you used. I know it's funny how one product works for you and my hair hates it and vice versa.
Scalp calmed down now thank goodness.
I now have a full size bottle of the shampoo and conditioner you can have the next time I see you. Couldn't find mini sizes you suggested!

curlymarcia
March 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
It's good to hear that you are better now. Take care.