PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair hate sulfate-free stuff?

goldcopperbrown
February 27th, 2011, 09:37 PM
A while ago I got some sulfate-free shampoo from CVS (L'Oreal Everstrong Volumizing). It got excellent reviews online. After using it only twice my hair was dry at the ends, limp, and oily at the roots. No shine. Worst it's ever looked!

I figured it was just because it was cheap so I used a TiGi shampoo that was sulfate free. The first time I used it, my hair looked great. The next time I used it, the same limp thing happened.

The shampoos that everyone warns you about (other than Pantene, which sometimes works for me and sometimes doesn't) all work for me. Everyone seems to love sulfate-free stuff but it seems my hair needs sulfates...why does it need sulfates?

krissykins
February 27th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Did you clarifiy your hair of build-up with sulfates before taking the sulfate-free route?

goldcopperbrown
February 27th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Hm, I'm not sure. I definitely didn't make a point of doing that, but I tend to clarify my hair with a Suave clarifying shampoo every 1-2 weeks. would that make a difference? I love what sulfate free shampoos promise

krissykins
February 27th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I would recommend clarifying your hair and not using any other products with silicones before going the sulfate-free route. :)

HintOfMint
February 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I also say clarify before going sulfate free.

Also that sulfate-free works best with a cone-free routine (with some exceptions with very specific types of cones), because sulfate-free shampoos don't really wash off silicone very well, so that's something to consider.