PDA

View Full Version : Wigs

Zarah
February 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Do wigs damage follicles?

Has anyone used a wig here until they've reached their hair health/length goal?

I am toying with the idea of getting a lace front wig until my hair goes back to normal. I'm thinning and shedding like crazy, & don't want to stress it with heat.

For work, I have to heat it style at least 3 times a week. Bad, I know. I have no choice right now.

ladylovecraft
February 27th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I didn't wear a wig until I reached my goal, as I'm not there yet, but I did wear a wig daily for quite some time while growing from pixie to about shoulder. I wasn't comfortable wearing my hair out at all. As for if it causes damage, I've always been confused on this myself... part of me thinks it's protective (it's not touching anything but itself, right?) and part of me thinks it suffocates the hair. *shrug* I'll be watching this for others input.

Also, I don't know what the 'lace front' part means... I just wore regular wigs.

Zarah
February 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I hear mixed reviews myself too! I hear that the cap can cause damage & I hear that you have to, to protect the follicles. Hmm.. I just don't know.

A lace front wig are the realistic looking wigs with a natural looking hairline. They're kinda pricey.

Talma
February 27th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I've heard that they can do damage to your hair if you wear them all the time and you don't protect your hair. If you wear a non-abrasive or at least a lesser abrasive wig cap underneath the wig and keep your hair moisturized so that any rubbing of the fabric or wig lace won't break your hair you should be ok. I assume that the wig caps that are more like nets as they have large holes throughout and also the cotton blend wig caps are more damaging to the hair.

Some women go as far as to wear a satin hair wrap of scarf underneath the skull cap and then put the wig on top. This seems like it would feel awkward and you may get overheated but some women are comfortable with it. Whatever you do, don't wear a wig all the time without some kind of cap underneath. The lace is really scratchy to the touch even if you have a professional one made for you using fine lace.

Also, you may not want to use bobby pins to secure it to your scalp as that can cause ripping of the hair too. Good luck!

Zarah
February 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Thx for the info Talma!

Brenda714
February 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM
My hair is a little past shoulder and I use clip in extensions. I've read some stuff that it can damage your scalp if you wear them too long, which I do. They are definitely better than the more permanent way; might as well wear them until it grows back.

Zarah
February 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
See I rather use a wig than those clip ons, since i'm shedding and thinning. I feel like it'll put my hair under more stress and damage than what it already is.

Anywhere
February 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Being that I'm not in the adult job world yet, what job is it that you have to straighten 3+ times a week?(if you don't mind my asking) :bigeyes:

I don't think wigs are damaging if you use a good wig cap and secure it properly. I imagine it would be kind of similar to wearing a scarf or bandana all the time.

stinamoo
February 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I wear wigs often. I know there's plenty of women who use wigs as a protective style to help grow their hair, and I personally haven't found it to hinder me in any way. I wear lace fronts as well, but I have a big ol' fivehead so I can use glue on my skin, not on my hair. I can't even think of a way that wigs would damage the follicles. If you're wearing a wig cap I can't even think of a way it would even hurt your hair.

If wearing a wig means you won't be heat styling it 3x a week, I'm going to go ahead and say it will be less damaging for you to wear it under a wig :D

Zarah
February 28th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Being that I'm not in the adult job world yet, what job is it that you have to straighten 3+ times a week?(if you don't mind my asking) :bigeyes:

I don't think wigs are damaging if you use a good wig cap and secure it properly. I imagine it would be kind of similar to wearing a scarf or bandana all the time.

You guessed right. Adult job.

vanillabones
February 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I wear a wig on days that I have a class, I have just been putting it on and not securing it and not wearing anything inbetween my hair and the wig. It does get really itchy/overheated sometimes and I'm paranoid it causes my hair to break more. It could have helped my hair split for the second time in a month but it could be coincidence...

I don't know what to wear under it...
Either way I'd rather be slightly damaging my hair by wearing a wig than directly damage by styling. Plus the added confidence is worth it...

stinamoo
March 1st, 2011, 03:03 AM
Vanillabones, you can use a stocking or pair of tights (pantyhose) as a wig cap. It's how I recycle any that get a run in one leg :)

Zarah
March 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM
I am also wondering if it's safe since I have seborrheic dermatitis? Can having it covered like that make it worse?

At times I feel at my ends whit with this scalp fungus & thinning/shedding. I am so tempted to shave my head. :mad: I am so close to doing it.

Natalia
March 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
I thinka s long as your gentle and choose acarefully you can wear a wig. Personally i have a wig but its a very short one since i havent had hair that short since i was a todler, its a nice change from protective updo's or trying to guard my hair if i wear it down (once i got ot hip i started having more hair accidents lol). I do wear a cap since i need to use bobby pins to get my hair flat to my head so i dont look like an alien and they get caught on the wig without one. My wig is a lace front which helps in getting it on and makes it more comfrotable to wear with or without a cap.

stinamoo
March 2nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
I am also wondering if it's safe since I have seborrheic dermatitis? Can having it covered like that make it worse?

I'd be worried about your seborrheic dermatitis damaging follicles and causing hair loss :( it could be the cause of your thinning if it's severe, I don't know if you've already investigated that.

I've heard that airflow and washing help with the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis and I would personally not wear a wig for more than 12 hours with that condition (excess heat, sweat, no airflow encourage fungal infections). Wearing it just for work might be ok.

Zarah
March 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'd be worried about your seborrheic dermatitis damaging follicles and causing hair loss :( it could be the cause of your thinning if it's severe, I don't know if you've already investigated that.

I've heard that airflow and washing help with the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis and I would personally not wear a wig for more than 12 hours with that condition (excess heat, sweat, no airflow encourage fungal infections). Wearing it just for work might be ok.

Yes, my hair has thinned severly. It's embarrassing what I have left. IDK if it's bc of SD though. I read online that it doesn't cause thinning and my derm said the same thing. BUT there are a lot of ppl who think it's the cause.

I don't trust many dermatologists. Most will make you keep coming back when they prob already know a cure. $$$

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
I have heard that wearing wigs suffocates the hair and doesn't let your scalp breathe which is bad for hair, is this just another hair myth?

stinamoo
March 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have heard that wearing wigs suffocates the hair and doesn't let your scalp breathe which is bad for hair, is this just another hair myth?

This is a myth :) there's plenty of women who grow their hair better under wigs by not damaging it with styling. If that myth were true, how would anybody who wears a head covering for religious reasons or any other reason grow their hair long and keep their scalp healthy? :D

CarpeDM
March 4th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Good to know! I've always wanted to try out a wig, it seems like fun, especially on a bad hair day :lol:

Zarah
March 10th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I was looking at this website. They have a lot of nice looking wigs on there.

http://www.beautybymatt.com/Wigs1.html

My fav. bc it looks so real.... http://www.beautybymatt.com/WPics/W780.jpg

racrane
April 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I was searching for a thread like this because I wear wigs often for shows, and was curious to read about it. Thanks so much for the information everyone provided! I personally wear wear leave-in conditioner and set my hair myself. Then the wigmaster actually pins the wig into place. I take the wig out myself after the show because I'm so firm on being gentle. I do need to use a lot of pins so that the wig won't fall off during dancing, cartwheels, etc, but as long as you baby your hair and are gentle, wigs are fine. I thought people might like to know that. Hope I helped. :)

kdaniels8811
April 29th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I wore a wig while going through chemo, now I am sick of them and ready to put on the swap board - smile! but to answer your question, no, they do not damage hair, the wig protects it. But they do make you hot, I gave up wearing them because I was getting too warm and my hair is a whopping 4" long. Wigs are a great alternative while waiting for your hair to grow out. I would not be concerned about wearing one, especially with a wig cap. Good luck!

pixistixx
April 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I wore a wig for a while (lace cap) with a hair stocking underneath. It seemed to cause breakage around the front part of my hair, and would make the crown of my head sore... I think it would rub a bit. not to mention It was horribly itchy and made my forehead sweat lol. I remember reading somewhere that geishas get a bald spot on the top of their head from the wigs they wear, however, I don't know if the construction of those wigs is different... they must weigh more at least

dragonchickx
April 29th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I think it would be a great idea, just watch out for the adhesive used , dont wanna rip out any hair around the forehead. I sometimes want to get a short wig for those short hair craving days, anyone try that?

Siv
August 29th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Eight years later but anyway... :laugh:

I'm curious, does anyone wear wigs for fashion? Not for religious reasons, illness, or because their hairdresser destroyed their hair, but just because they like to change things up? Pink hair one day, jetblack the other... There are tons of wig videos on YouTube but I literally know NO ONE who wears wigs. Extensions, sure. But wigs? Nope. Other YouTube trends seem to catch on, like crazy eyebrows, pastel coloured hair, weird clothing trends etc.

I dunno. I think wearing wigs would be fun, and I'd expect it to have caught on, but it just doesn't seem to. At least not around here.

BerrySara
August 29th, 2019, 09:34 AM

I'm curious, does anyone wear wigs for fashion? Not for religious reasons, illness, or because their hairdresser destroyed their hair, but just because they like to change things up? Pink hair one day, jetblack the other... There are tons of wig videos on YouTube but I literally know NO ONE who wears wigs. Extensions, sure. But wigs? Nope. Other YouTube trends seem to catch on, like crazy eyebrows, pastel coloured hair, weird clothing trends etc.

I dunno. I think wearing wigs would be fun, and I'd expect it to have caught on, but it just doesn't seem to. At least not around here.

I have a couple of wigs. One is WL and pastel pink and I have worn that one for a fun artsy festival in Austin and then used it a few times since for costumes but also for a concert. That one is just so fun. I also have a black pin straight wig in a longish bob cut that I purchased for a Cleopatra costume but haven't worn since.

For me though, I find that wigs are a bit uncomfortable and very hot so besides the few times, I haven't worn them since. I am also not very versed in it so I usually just wear a cap and but it on. No special lace or glue or anything.

I do think wigs can be a fun way to change it up without committing. I really love seeing those stunning pastel colors in hair but since my hair is naturally dark, there is just no way I am going to have pastel pink hair unless I keep a pixie. So a wig for a specific occasion where that would be a fun to do, I don't see why not.

momof3mary
August 29th, 2019, 01:27 PM
It made me giggle to see I'm not the only one with wigs on the brain😁 I ordered one today so I can ignore the q-tip phase of growing out a very short buzz cut. It should be here Saturday and I can't wait🎉 I decided to go with a pixie length wig so it would not be like bald one day, long hair the next.

Khristopher
August 29th, 2019, 07:20 PM

Me! I have a couple ones, mostly for cosplay but I also wear them around the house sometimes, and for pictures. I don't use them for everyday life though, I would feel kinda... weird? I don't know, but I love them anyways and if given the money I would hoard lots of them hahaha.
I agree with other posts in that they're quite hot. I make several french braids to distribute the weight of my own hair around my head, then a stocking acting like a wigcap, and the wig with some pins. Some are heavy and give headaches after a while, no matter how well my hair is distributed on my wigcap. Still they're a lot of fun!

Icialine
August 30th, 2019, 12:22 AM
Not full wigs but I do use clip on pieces to add thickness to my hair. I suppose I would have worn wigs occasionally if they were still made the old way( just wefts sewn on net) but these days they're all lacefronts and there's no way I would want a wig that's that complicated to put on and remove. Lacefronts seem more convenient for someone who wants to wear them a week at a time, not just for a few hours.

YvetteVarie
August 30th, 2019, 02:52 AM
I wear wigs as part of my protective styling. In my country, wigs are a big fashion statement. I have seen people buying US$500+ wigs. I am cheap, and the most I paid for a wig was US$50

cactuses
August 30th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Lace front wigs will absolutely damage the hair at the front of your face due to the fact you must glue them down with product.

momof3mary
August 30th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Cactuses I agree with that. I won't wear the lace wigs. I just get the ones with bangs so my hairline is hidden.

Kalamazoo
November 5th, 2019, 09:38 PM
I found a video on how to style a wig. By my lights, it looks best between 7 and 9 minutes into the video, but it's interesting to see what a hairdresser thinks it needs to look "natural" (as if lavender hair could look natural!), so you can make up your own mind about what you want done to your own head, or what you want to do to a wig.

"I made a cheap Amazon wig look better than my full lace wigs! (synthetic wig hacks)" by Brad Mondo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5INpkH5xw

Julie8844
August 29th, 2021, 07:48 AM
I wear a wig now and then, just to change my style and look. As far as I know, if the hair underneath your wig isn't properly protected or looked after, damage to your hair can be caused, affecting growth. So, be careful.

tracywil
August 29th, 2021, 02:48 PM
I wear a wig now and then, just to change my style and look. As far as I know, if the hair underneath your wig isn't properly protected or looked after, damage to your hair can be caused, affecting growth. So, be careful.

What wigs do you wear? Custom made or do you buy them from the big and popular sellers like wigsis? My daughter has a beautiful natural long hair and wants to sell her hair but wigsis phone number doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I am honestly against this idea, i would be more happy if she would keep her hair or give it to the organization which makes wigs for people who lost their hair during chemo therapy. Anyways, it's her hair and her life...

0xalis
August 29th, 2021, 08:23 PM
Lace front wigs will absolutely damage the hair at the front of your face due to the fact you must glue them down with product.

Glueless lace wigs are a thing!

Bat
August 31st, 2021, 12:16 AM
I don't glue mine down and they work fine