PDA

View Full Version : If you always wear hair up, why did you grow it long?

shikara
February 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I think there is a thread here somewhere, but I can't find it yet.

I am one of these and when I wore it in a braid, the length was still visible, even if shortened by the 'bumps'! Right now I am loving the prints and styles of scarves, especially now that spring ones have come out (Ardene's comes to mind). I can't even remember when I last wore it down, but I am trying to put my finger on why I want it long, when no one else really sees it. I know I love the feel of it on my back when it is drying. I know I like caring for it so it can be long. I know there are little goals along the way. What are your reasons?

torrilin
February 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
As always... I want my hair to be comfortable. Hair in my face isn't comfortable. And since my hair is fine, slippery, and flyaway, there's no way for it to be much shorter than shoulder length and still stay out of my face.

My hair also grows fairly quickly, so I'd be on a 2-4 week trim cycle to maintain a short haircut.

With long hair I can have my hair out of my face, and get trims as often as I remember to (every 6 months or so), and I am happy.

krissykins
February 27th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Buns protect the ends of my hair better, which keeps it from splitting severely and me having to constantly chop it off.

jil
February 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I have asked myself this question many times, and it often motivates me to wear my hair down the next day!
I didn't set out to have very long hair, so now that I have it I'm pretty excited about it. Even if I only wear it down outside of the house 1-2x a month I'm not quite ready to have shorter hair again!

RadiantNeedle
February 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM
There are awesome looking up-do styles that you can only do if your hair is long. I think that's a great reason to grow your hair.
For me its a combination of factors. Comfort, damage-avoidance and being able to experiment with loads of pretty hairstyles. With shorter hair your options are seriously limited.

CaityBear
February 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
To be able to wear it up...there are many hairstyles where you need a certain length of hair. I LOVE playing around with updos.

But it's partly because I'm too lazy to maintain a short haircut. I started my journey at chin and I was BSL before I thought of just growing it out. But my hair grows so fast I would have to get a trim every month or so to maintain a length. And it's a waste of money. I can now just trim my own hair.

Honestly, it's a combination of things. I would LOVE to be able to wear my hair down but it's so fine and thin that it gets tangled too easily. :(

Copasetic
February 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
My hair is a lot easier to manage when it is longer. I'm not growing it long so that everyone can see how long it is all the time. I am doing it because I want to.

jasper
February 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM
This is kind of a cart before the horse question to me. I wear it up all the time because I have grown it long.

The thing I didn't like about my last major hair cut was having hair too short to pull up. :shrug:

EroSparrow
February 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I wear it down about 3 times a week... but usually for only part of the day. Most of the rest of the time I wear it up. However, I have to say that despite that, even if I am alone in my house, it makes me feel feminine-- and I enjoy that because I have to confess that personality wise I am not always the most feminine of women.

Also when I was in high school (which is nearly 10 years ago now) I wore it long because I participated in a sport that appreciated long hair-- I used to do martial arts, and participated in a "forms" or "kata" competitions, which are routines, and long hair added to the aesthetic of the art. Think of Zhang Zhiyi in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Also of course I have memories of when someone special to me first saw me with my hair down. He has only seen me in professional environments before that, and thus only saw me with my hair up. And then on our second date his curiosity got the best of him, and he took my hair-sticks out and saw my hair drop down my back. And he loved it, and well that will always be a sweet memory.

But to tell the truth I have always been in a male dominated environment, and I like to compete with the "boys" as one of the "boys" and thus my hair had become part of my feminine alter ego. It's part of who I am when I am with my friends and family who know me really well, and not part of who I am when I am with co-workers or strangers. Plus quite honestly, my hair has the potential go go any which way-- it can get into anything. Zippers, chairs, coats, it get get pulled on my my backpack going to school (grad school), it can get into my drinks (gross). However, I have also had the unpleasant experience of having my hair pulled by a bum in Washington, DC (or maybe it was Philly -- I don't remember). So I remove the temptation.

Anywhere
February 27th, 2011, 08:17 PM
try wearing it up in fancy updos with super short hair. ;)

My hair is up for protection, and when I want to wear it down or the situation allows it, it will go down. Besides, its like carrying a little secret on the back of my head. :D

Jenn of Pence
February 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Ah, the question of the ages. I'm a wear my hair down kind of girl, but I'm learning to appreciate updos. But my whole reason for having long hair is to know that I have long hair. It's just a part of me, and has been most of my life. Whether it's up in a bun or impressively long and loose, it's pleasing to me just to know it's there.

fairystar32
February 27th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I am a down girl, never wear it up unless its so hot I cannot stand it and one of the ones who dont see the point of long hair if you wear it up all the time... (sorry ;))
BUT having said that I am hopeless at up do's and personally hate my hair up, so that probably influences my reasoning ;)

RocketDog
February 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I've always found long, unbound hair to be the most appealing look, but it's just NOT practical at all, especially in an active, messy job like I have... and it's too freaking hot here to wear it down in the summer anyways! So I enjoy leaving it down to dry on wash days, but I enjoy watching my updos and braids grow as my hair gets longer :)

EroSparrow
February 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have only gotten better at updos since I began reading LHC! Actually before that I have to say I would have loved to wear my hair down a lot more than I do!

ladylovecraft
February 27th, 2011, 09:08 PM
It's not *that* long yet, but I find I'll always be a down sort of girl. I have to wear my hair up for work (nursing), and I sometimes wear it up to run errands, but if anyone important is seeing me, I want to look my best. And to me, that means my hair down. *shrug*

kme81
February 27th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I love the feeling of having a lot of hair...it doesn't tangle badly at all for me so I wear it down most of the time. It makes me so happy when it is pretty and long and smooth. (yes...I'm a narcissist :) )

Aarlene
February 27th, 2011, 09:26 PM
My hair tangles terribly so I wear it up to protect it.

banglaminerva
February 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Until recently, I only wore my hair up when I was working a political event, but now, it's up most days just for convenience. I get tired of sitting on it, etc. But, if I'm not stuck at my desk, I usually let my hair lose. Most days, I end up taking my hair down as soon as I get into my car at the end of the day.

elbow chic
February 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I started growing my hair so I COULD wear it up. :)

Yamainu
February 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I grow my hair so I CAN wear it in updos!

Malaguena
February 28th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Well, I am growing mine long for the precise reason that I can wear it up then :D It's off my face that way, and I don't have to worry about trips to the salon to keep up my style and cut.

Theobroma
February 28th, 2011, 03:08 AM
... I am trying to put my finger on why I want it long, when no one else really sees it. [...] What are your reasons?

To be able to do a whole range of great-looking updos! (I live for the day when I have enough length to manage a Celtic knot bun.)

Also, to have hair that's as close to maintenance-free as it gets. Having to spend extra time (and possibly product) every morning on styling shorter hair would drive me up the wall in short order. With long hair, I can go five or six days between washes and still have my updos look every bit as good on the sixth day as on the first.

Also, not having to make regular trips to the salon means more money to spend on hair toys for putting it up with. :) I've been to a salon on precisely two occasions in my life; compared to women who go every few weeks to maintain shorter styles I must have saved a ton of cash! (Well, that isn't actually one of my reasons for wanting long hair. But it's an agreeable side-effect.)

ravenreed
February 28th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Because I had no idea what a pain in the butt it would be to wear down at longer lengths! I wore it down all the way to waist. Now at TB it is much more likely to snag on stuff, tickle my arm and make me think a spider is crawling on me, get into harms way, etc.. I had no idea how much difference a few inches make in manageability.

The more important question for me is now that I find that I must wear it up more- why do I keep it long? The answer to that is I learned some nifty updo's, and bought some pretty hair toys and those wouldn't work if I cut back to waist. I am also having fun trying something new and seeing how far I can get before my hair drives me bonkers. Just as I think I hit a plateau and can't stand another inch, I find that it works itself out. I would love to have hair just long enough to do a crown braid and I am trying to hold out for another few inches to make that goal.

I still wear my hair down, just not as often. I will be more likely to do so once warmer weather hits. Right now, winter coat collars are playing havoc with my hair unless is it up and out of the way.

milagro
February 28th, 2011, 03:21 AM
That's the question that pops up like clockwork. I can remember about 4 or 5 threads started in my short stay here only :)
I suggest we don't stop at this point. Why have good body if you don't go naked? Why learn singing/dancing if you don't sing your phone pizza orders or dance around to grocery shop? Why trim toe nails in wintertime (this one I'm especially curious of)? :D

SprngGrnGoddess
February 28th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I just suit long hair better than short hair, and I love doing things with it. I don't wear it up ALL the time but I guess most of the time I do. I think i also like to be different to the 'norm' and not that many people in my group have consistently long hair (a few have had long dreads or extensions) but mostly people end up chopping their hair into styles I don't like.

I prefer long hair on most people, male and female and those male friends of mine I used to love playing with their hair and doing fancy stuff with it.

So it's playability really, like said above in various places, it's the long hair that lends itself to lots of fancy updos.

I've just offered to practice the new ones I've been learning on my long haired friends :D I can do things fairly easily on myself but on others I need practice!

ravenreed
February 28th, 2011, 03:25 AM
If I didn't trim my toe nails in winter time, they would quickly poke holes in my socks. I have also been known to dance while shopping. I have no shame and those aisles are so nice and large. ;)

I see what you are saying though. I see hair loose as just one of several options.

That's the question that pops up like clockwork. I can remember about 4 or 5 threads started in my short stay here only :)
I suggest we don't stop at this point. Why have good body if you don't go naked? Why learn singing/dancing if you don't sing your phone pizza orders or dance around to grocery shop? Why trim toe nails in wintertime (this one I'm especially curious of)? :D

ScarlettAdelle
February 28th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I mainly wear mine up because for some reason, when I wear it down people take it as an invitation to touch my hair, which has always tripped me out a little, so If they don't see it, they won't feel compelled to touch me.

milagro
February 28th, 2011, 03:33 AM
If I didn't trim my toe nails in winter time, they would quickly poke holes in my socks. I have also been known to dance while shopping. I have no shame and those aisles are so nice and large. ;)

Thanks, you gave me a reason! :D

Well, we all just like our hair long, can show it off or hide it, our choice! :cheese:

ScarlettAdelle
February 28th, 2011, 03:39 AM
*snip*I suggest we don't stop at this point. Why have good body if you don't go naked? *snip*

Because it's all about the tease! Who's gonna buy the cow if you're giving away the milk for free? XD Just kidding!!! Because it gets wicked cold, that's why! haha!

Yozhik
February 28th, 2011, 03:40 AM
try wearing it up in fancy updos with super short hair. ;)

My hair is up for protection, and when I want to wear it down or the situation allows it, it will go down. Besides, its like carrying a little secret on the back of my head. :D

I totally agree with this sentiment -- it is great to have long hair and know you have it, but perhaps others don't.

However, I also have to say, I love this comment, because Harry Potter nerd that I am, I immediately thought: "Oh, no! Voldemort hidden in Quirrel's turban!" :D

milagro
February 28th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Because it gets wicked cold, that's why! haha!
*squinting* and in summertime?

frizzinator
February 28th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I cannot control my hair when it is short, mainly because of cowlicks. Then there is constant maintenance and the hair in the face issue with short hair. Long hair is very easy for me to maintain. I put it up and forget about it.

Chamy
February 28th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I have been asked this before, and for me it has a rather obvious answer. I love wearing it in different styles, i love the length and thickness of the braid, the fullness of the bun. How the bun gets bigger the longer my hair gets. I love feeling it down my back and feeling it run between my fingers. And i wouldn´t be able to do that if i had short hair. I like the thought that it is just me and my closest friends who knows how long it is, and i love how that feels like my secret.

So to answer your question: Simply because I do it for me, not to show off to anyone else, not to please anyone else. Just to please me.

Nae
February 28th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I wear it up because I like it up. Let me tell you I didn't spend *mumble* on hairtoys just to wear it down. Wearing it up helps me keep from trimming it when I get to looking at my hemline with critical eyes. Plus, it helps my hair stay healthy. Win, win.

Vorvolaka
February 28th, 2011, 05:22 AM
*squinting* and in summertime?

Because you'd get arrested?

I wear it up because I have developed this weird need to find out how long it will grow. I'd be tempted to cut it if I wore it down.

skyblue
February 28th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I wear it up because I love learning how to make all these cool buns! I've never really been a girly girl lol never learned how to do my hair I just washed and air dried it, since joining here I've discovered You tube! And all the great tutorials on making buns!! Why I love long hair...I don't really know I just always have, the longer the better as far as I'm concerned lol

GRU
February 28th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Oh milagro, I love your sense of humor! :thumbsup:

Why am I going to nursing school if I'm not going to poke everyone I pass on the street with hypodermic needles? :lol:

I wear it up because I like it up. Let me tell you I didn't spend *mumble* on hairtoys just to wear it down.

I'm sorry, Nae, you kind of broke up during part of that -- bad cell reception, maybe? Anyway.... how much money have you spent on hairtoys? (Or is it a secret from DH?) :lol:

Not that I know anything about spending huge sums of money on hairtoys... and I don't have a clue why there's a package from Pacific Merchantile on its way to my house right now! :whistle:

Rivanariko
February 28th, 2011, 07:30 AM
its like carrying a little secret on the back of my head. :D

I love that!

I grew my hair out for me, not for anyone else. I can enjoy it in the privacy of my home and then put it up so I don't have to deal with the "oh your hair is so long!" comments wherever I go (I get a lot more of those since moving from Oregon to North Dakota! Long hair is not nearly as common around here.). I've never had a stranger try to touch my hair, but the idea scares me. So up it goes (in fun and pretty ways!) and it comes down when I want to feel special and pretty.

And I continue to maintain that it's easier. Long hair that I left down all of the time was work because it tangled and got into everything all of the time, but my long hair now? In the morning, unbraid and detangle, put in bun. Maybe 3 minutes. In the evening, take out the bun, detangle, braid. Maybe 1 minute. Wash it once a week. Easy peasy. I couldn't handle having to go in to get it cut every 6 weeks to maintain a shorter style.

Madora
February 28th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I've always been fascinated by long hair. The beauty of it, the shine, the endless possibilities for styling.

Intricate hairstyles have always intrigued me and having long hair lets me experiment to my heart's delight.

My creative juices get stirring and I'm a happy camper when hairstyling ideas are finally mastered.

LadyG
February 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I wear my hair long, due to the wave in my hair. It won't behave when short without major amounts of flat ironing, sprays and jells. Not only that I don't like the way I look with hair shorter than shoulder length. Now, anything in an updo pulled back looks better than short hair. Maybe because it's sleek and controlled. But I personally love long hair. The length, the movement, the way it shines. I just find it beautiful.
I only wear my hair up when at work or doing something that would be dangerous to my hair.

Nae
February 28th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I'm sorry, Nae, you kind of broke up during part of that -- bad cell reception, maybe? Anyway.... how much money have you spent on hairtoys? (Or is it a secret from DH?) :lol:

Not that I know anything about spending huge sums of money on hairtoys... and I don't have a clue why there's a package from Pacific Merchantile on its way to my house right now! :whistle:

Well, let us just say that the math defeats me. I start to willingly loose count once I get over a grand.:o No big secret from DH, he sees another package arrive and he is just like
-->:rolleyes:

GRU
February 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM
No big secret from DH, he sees another package arrive and he is just like -->:rolleyes:

Smart man.... if Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY gonna be happy! ;)

wildblue
February 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I wear it up roughly half the time to keep it from getting tangled in the wind, rolled up in tthe car window, keep it out of peoples food, etc. But I love wearing it down too. I like it long so that there is enough weight to control my waves. It has been cut shoulder length 3 times in my life and it was sad. :(

Angeletti
February 28th, 2011, 08:53 AM
The biggest reason for me is for protection, at my length it's very easy to damage my hair, whether it be from sitting on it, having it get in tangles, having the cats bite/play with it, etc. Another reason would be that no one wants to see my hair down on non-wash days, it's just not a pretty sight. Besides, there are so many awesome styles to do with long hair when it's up, so why not take advantage of that.

Islandgrrl
February 28th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I wear it up for two reasons. First, it's protected that way. Second, it's just a pain to wear down - it's in my face, in my food, in my armpits, it's everywhere.

Why did I grow it long? Just because. :)

CAPA7
February 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I don't wear my hair up all the time (most of the time though), but I still want to grow my hair because then I know I have it, if that makes sense. It's not really for the benefit of others, more for mine, for the knowledge that I have long, healthy hair.
It's like having a tattoo that you normally keep hidden under clothes but you still have it because it means something to YOU. Which I also do :)

ole gray mare
February 28th, 2011, 10:37 AM
How could I wear updos if I didn't have long hair? I don't wear it up just to get it out of my way, I often wear it up because I like how I look with it up. And because there are a variety of ways to wear it up. Fortunately, I also like how it looks when it's down. It's a win-win!

enfys
February 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I don't care who wants to see my loose hair. If other people want to see long, loose hair, they can grow it. I see it daily, DH sees it daily. That's enough for me.

I wear it up because I hate wearing it down. My options are either shorter than short hair, or long hair. If I'm going to wear it up, I may as well have it long enough to to braided styles and intricate buns on.

Updos can be more memorable. Princess Leia. Did you just picture the buns from A New Hope, or when it was loose in the Ewok Village?

spidermom
February 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
"Showing off" long hair is a waste for most people. There are no shortage of threads around here that complain of family or coworkers or friends asking "Why don't you cut it? You'd look so adorable in a chin-length bob (or a pixie or ...)." Who needs that kind of grief?

I was disappointed when I realized that I couldn't have my hair flowing along behind me all the time because that's the way I'd pictured it in my mind. But it's hot, it tangles, it gets into everything. It can even be dangerous (candles, gas stoves, campfires, vacuum cleaners). Best put it up until I have the time to enjoy it and watch out for it.

Carolyn
February 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
There is a HUGE difference in long hair worn up and off the face and neck and a short haircut where the hair is cut above the ears and up the back. HUGE. Only someone who has never had long hair would ask. Even if they didn't like their hair long they would know there is a difference. Because I can or because I like it that way are the best answers I can think of. This would apply to many preferences in life, not just hair.

Lady-Djenevre
February 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I kep my hair long because the only time I cut it short - because my mom bullied me into it as a teenager - it was a mess. It was soooo much more difficult to took after because my hair is very fine. I had to put pesky rollers in it or use tongs and I hated that. With long hair you can always make it look presentable by putting it up.

summerjade
February 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Anywhere, Love your comment about your updos. The part about carrying a little secret on the back of your head. It made me smile!! I love it!! I wear my hair up when I need to protect it also.

Pixna
February 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
There is a HUGE difference in long hair worn up and off the face and neck and a short haircut where the hair is cut above the ears and up the back. HUGE. Only someone who has never had long hair would ask. Even if they didn't like their hair long they would know there is a difference. Because I can or because I like it that way are the best answers I can think of. This would apply to many preferences in life, not just hair.

I agree completely. Short hair can never have the elegance or variety or classic appeal of an updo. I love having long hair, but when I wear my hair down it gets in my way. Nevertheless, I can enjoy it in updos of endless variety (if I'm motivated to learn knew tricks), and I can indulge in hair jewelry -- sticks, forks, and more galore. Woohoo! I enjoy my long hair, and I love being able to wear it up (and all the hair toys that go along with that).

Yavene
February 28th, 2011, 09:20 PM
To wear it up ;)

Roseate
February 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
There is a HUGE difference in long hair worn up and off the face and neck and a short haircut where the hair is cut above the ears and up the back. HUGE. Only someone who has never had long hair would ask. ...

Definitely. I'm always puzzled by people saying that short hair and long hair worn up are "the same". That why-bother comment. :confused: It feels totally different, it looks totally different, I like it better long and up, why not?

I've had both styles, I like both actually, but they are not at all similar in my mind.

HintOfMint
February 28th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I try to wear it up as often as I can to avoid damage so that when I do wear it down, it looks exceptionally nice.

Pixna
March 1st, 2011, 06:07 AM
To wear it up ;)

Yup! :agree:

Becky9679
March 1st, 2011, 06:25 AM
Speaking personally I'd say that while I love having long hair and consider it very beautiful, in day to day life it's not very practical since it gets in the way so much and gets so tangled! I'm not so much of an updo person as many on here (bit too lazy to bother every day) but generally I don't leave the house without at least a braid. I tend to leave loose hair for special occasions and nights out.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
to me wearing it up is the "how" not the "why!" sorry for the enormous font ;). "why" i wear it up doesn't apply because wearing it up is more the "how" i will get it/keep it long.

AgnesONutter
March 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM
I like to have it long, because of the endless possibilities it offers me in the way of styling. One day I can do a complicated, multiple braid style. Another, I can do a loose, messy bun. A third, I can do a figure eight...I can always just wrap it in a knot to get it out of my face when I need to, without the need for any elastics.

The more interesting question here is why people wear their hair short? So boring! :P

Safira
March 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM
I love to wear my hair loose at home, but outside I want to bun my hair or braid it. I want my hair to stay as a secret, and I want to protect it. Plus I love buns.

Rowanne
March 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
I think that's almost like asking why you don't wear your best jewellery every day. Or your loveliest dress.

I'm growing my hair long because I think it's beautiful. That's my main reason. I also think it's feminine (although I do admire long hair on guys too). I wear my hair up to protect it and to keep it out of the way - but I think the updos can be beautiful too. I'm not growing my hair long to wear it down every single day, I'm growing it long to wear it down when I feel like it.

In my job I often need to wear protective gloves. And let me tell you, if there's stuff you don't want on your hands you most definitely don't want it in your hair either. Wearing an updo means I don't accidentally try to sweep my hair off my face when I'm wearing gloves.

Even if I was working someplace else I still would often wear my hair up. I consider it a consequence: the longer your my hair gets the more often I need to wear it up. I'm willing to live with that consequence. I can have nice updos daily and long tresses whenever I want. What's not to like?

jeanniet
March 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM
I wear my hair down at home quite a bit, but going out it's mostly not very practical due to wind and my activities. I'd feel pretty bad if I lost a chunk of hair because it got caught in something. So I wear it down in safe situations, and up otherwise. I'm growing my hair for me, so up or down, it's still *my* hair. :)

Rhea
March 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM
I love all kind of braids... classics... amish buns... etc. ... I never want short hair again! :cheese:

wvgemini
March 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM
I used to think pretty much the same way ... why have it long if I have to pull it up all the time. But I have realized, over the years, just how impractical having it short is. Having to get up, style it, dry it, etc. Now I can throw it into a bun or a braid and I'm good to go. And when I do wear it down, I can do much more with it :)

tigr
March 4th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Because I can't be bothered to take the time necessary to make short hair look good. Long hair is much easier and faster to take care of. Plus I've always wanted to wear updos!