PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Trim/S&D advice please?

sweet&sourkiwi
February 27th, 2011, 06:26 PM
So. I just trimmed my hair, with brand new $50 hair cutting scissors, last week...a mere two washes ago...and already the newly trimmed ends are showing splits! How can this be? I trimmed to get RID of the little suckers...is it normal to already have split ends after 5-6 days? I trimmed straight across, so I know it isn't a razoring effect...bummed.

So, I s&d'ed the new splits away, but I'm pretty shocked. What could I possibly be doing to give myself splits already? And what can I do to make them stop? Which raises the question...where do split ends come from, anyway?

jesis
February 27th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure why, but I usually see splits again a week or so after S&Ding. Once your hair gets stronger, I think it will stop splitting as much. The best advice I can give is not to obsess over it. Find a routine to S&D and stick to it. That way you aren't cutting off all of your progress. :)

Anywhere
February 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Is your hair bleached or otherwise damaged? If so it might just continue to split until the hair isn't damaged anymore.

Other than that I'm not sure, dull scissors (even though they're new)? How do you wear your hair? is it down and rubbing against things?

EroSparrow
February 27th, 2011, 07:12 PM
How sharp are your scissors? Do they have any nicks? When you are cutting your the hair, are you cutting it bluntly or is there an angle to your cut. A single hair cut at an angle will split sooner than a hair cut perpendicular or perfectly blunt.

Hope that helps.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 27th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Scissors are awesome, sharp and professional quality, so it must be my hair! I was an every-other-day SLS-shampoo and conditioner, blowdryer, and occasional heat curler prior to doing LHC 4 months ago, so my hair is probably still suffering from that. I am growing out some highlights from about 8 months ago, so parts are bleached...

I have quit cones (not sure how I feel about it), so now I'm wondering: do they prevent splits? Or just make it "look" like they aren't there.

Thanks for all of your help. :)

EroSparrow
February 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
My guess its from the highlights... anything that lifts color is damaging to hair because it opens up the cuticle, which means that also regular hair dyes are bad even if they don't lighten hair, because they lift the cuticle to deposit pigment.

About cones: I have semi quit cones for about 1 month now, and fully quit cones for about a week. I am not sure how I feel about my ends-- but I haven't started an oiling routine yet-- because quite frankly I am scared about what it will do to my skin. I used to have a jasmine oil for hair from the Indian store- but i thought it gave me adult acne so I stopped. Perhaps its something you're doing? I know that I can get splits if I don't use the right type of pony tail holder on my braid-- or if I accidentally zip my hair into my coat-- or catch it on the clasp of a necklace or something-- so perhaps try to be more cognizant of the every day stuff that you don't think of? I mean-- i had a pretty good hair routine even my LHC standards before I started here-- but I was never conscientious about wearing it up, or protecting it from every day damage that didn't have to do with my hair care routine-- and believe me-- I am now!

nmarie33
March 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
I always have splits no matter how recent my last trim/S&D too. But, I figure I still have a good 10+ inches of hair that was blowdried, straightened, and otherwise mishandled still hanging on at the ends. So when I trim, I'm just trimming into more damaged crap that splits right away. At this rate I'm just going to continue on my trimming schedule and try not to worry too much about it for another 2 or so years - at that point I should start cutting into nice healthy LHC hair when I trim. The long hair journey takes a LOT of patience! Unless you are brave enough to just cut it all off and start from scratch, that is!