PDA

View Full Version : to pony or not to pony

Kyaatje
February 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I had a pony ages ago but I only remember the need to keep it looking good and cutting small ends of it myself.
I do have a really round face and a high forehead so I know it suits me, but DH likes it when I resemble the moon ;):rolleyes:

Still I wore a wig for work Saturday it had a fringe and when I saw myself on the photo's I remembered again how I look with a pony. And now I was doubting all of today whether I should cut one. And whether I would go to the hairdressers or do it myself ....
And off course what kind of pony LOL

I don't have any photo's at the moment, but I would like opinions on all that is possible without the photo's !

Thanks

ladycaladium
February 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Question, and please forgive my ignorance, is a pony the same as bangs/fringe? Where the hair is short in front, covering the forehead?

If it's what I'm thinking, if you decide to do it I recommend the hairdressers. My reasoning is the time I did it myself I kept trying to get it even and ended up cutting it way too short.

Kyaatje
February 27th, 2011, 01:51 PM
It is the same :) sorry non native english speaker ;-)

Hmmm it is that difficult is it ?

ladycaladium
February 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Don't worry about the non-native English speaker bit, even native speakers have different words for the same thing!

Well, it was difficult for me since I don't have straight hair. I also forgot that hair shrinks when dry (I cut it when it was wet). I haven't had one since it grew out, too much work for my frizzy hair. I get the halo of tiny curls so unless I am willing to blow dry or straighten it daily it isn't a flattering look for me. My little sister and a few of my friends look great with bangs/fringe/pony. I think they make clip-in ones if you wanted to go around with one for a few weeks to try out how you feel with it.

HTH

Anywhere
February 27th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I was also confused at the pony thing. At first I thought you meant a horse (talk about super confusion) then a ponytail, then I'm like. Is she talking about bangs? Deary me am I out of it today.

I would suggest having a stylist cut them initially, and you could manually trim them as often as needed. It makes it a lot easier in my opinion, since stylists tend to know how to cut fringes.

Panth
February 27th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I think torrinpaige has a tutorial for cutting a fringe/bangs on her youtube - I think it's included in her basic "Hair Answer" tutorials. If you do decide to cut one yourself, you could try using that.

My only recommendation is, if you do cut it yourself, to use very sharp scissors and to cut it longer than you want to start with, then slowly trim it by milimetres at a time until it's how you want it - it's very easy to try to cut a fringe and end up with it super-short.

Kyaatje
February 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I was looking up how to cut one most part of today :p
One of the main tips was never to cut it wet LOL so that much I knew already

Maybe I will still try it, I don't know any hairdresser here that does only fringes/bangs/pony's unless they don't advertise that
I'm not too worried about cutting it uneven : I would were it swept aside so you don't notice that to much, I think

I feel know that it is the deciding that I have problems with :o
Strange creatures, humans

nazzooyzo
February 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM
well how about cutting in a side one for now. that way it'll grow out if you don't like it and if you do like cut it properly into a full fringe.

LadyInBlack
February 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Took me a minute and then I remembered that a pony is the Dutch word for "bangs". I see you are from Belgium,so I should probably say "Flemish" instead of "Dutch".

Ik kom oorpronkelijk uit Nederland maar ik woon al weer 22 jaar in de Verenigde Staten. Leuk om je hier te zien! (I am originally from Holland but have lived here for 22 years now. Nice to see you here! )

Kyaatje
February 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hi lady in black : 22 years !! That is long, no wonder you had to think about it !

Well (impatiant me) did cut a fringe but a side swept one, looks not bad ;-)
And I do love the way it softens up my face when I have my hair in an updo

ladycaladium
February 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Glad you like the result! I don't think I could ever muster the courage to cut one after my last experience.