PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Sores

veggiechick
February 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I get these sores sometimes they are wide and sort of flat, then other times they are like acne. Winter I would say is the worst, because they give me horrible headaches. They normally come when it's humid & I can usually tell when it's going to snow real good, because they pop up. Right now I'm using desert essence lemon tea tree shampoo for oily hair and rinsing with acv. I try to stay away from sulfates, because they make my scalp dry and itchy. Tried fructis a few weeks ago w/acv rinse, because I missed it and it was horrible. I get buildup type dandruff also.

I use a solution of witch hazel, alcohol and tea tree when my sores get bad or just tea tree neat. Sometimes I use raw acv on them, but I hate smelling like a pickle lol. I've tried lots of different eo's in jojoba, raw honey etc. The one thing I'm going to try again is pure neem oil. I tried it once and let it sit on my scalp and it seemed to help a bit, just not sure if it was a fluke. I always dread and put off washing my hair, because I always know I will have a headache hours later. Can anyone relate to this? I have no insurance so a doc is out of the question for now. At first I thought maybe it could be something to do with having fever blisters a few years ago, but I would think I would break out on my face too. I still have nerve damage from the breakouts, but that's about it.

Sorry for the long book lol

veggiechick
February 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Also I have used LOTS of tea rinses also, because I have tons of herbs. Black walnut leaf, calendula, burdock, helichrysum , horsetail you name it!

nazzooyzo
February 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
i know someone who had scalp sores that sound like yours. they went to the doctor and found out it was a fungal skin infection.

In2wishin
February 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I get the acne type scalp sores and found out that it was because of clogged pores. They would get clogged either if I used coconut oil on my scalp or by sebum from not washing often enough.

Olyve
February 27th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I get them as well, I was fine and didn't have them for a really long time. Started oiling my scalp and they are back! I wash my hair every day to every other day so it is clean, but oiling over night once a week was clogging my pores. I have stopped oiling my scalp and use Suave shampoo diluted, no cone conditioner, about a dime size and ACV rinse and they are starting to go away.

lunache
February 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I, too, get something that sounds like what you describe - ever since I was a kid. I get painful sores on the scalp and when they're really bad, they'll even cause headaches.

Dandruff shampoos have always kept the sores at bay, but wreak havoc on my length. Ever since joining the LHCF I've been using 50% coconut oil/ 50% dandruff shampoo to wash, finishing with Suave conditioner to detangle any remaining and an ACV rinse and have had great results - both on the scalp and the length. I coconut oil the length every night but if the oil gets to the scalp without rinsing, I'll get a breakout.

There's no one dandruff shampoo that works best. I just have to keep them in rotation by season so my scalp doesn't get used to any one active ingredient.

Keep me posted on what works for you. One of the reasons I joined this forum was to figure out a happy balance to get good, healthy length while addressing my scalp condition (me too, no insurance, so I don't know what it's called, either).

veggiechick
February 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Too bad there wasn't a magic shampoo that will prevent it lol. Thanks everyone for your insight :)

RadiantNeedle
February 28th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Switching to CO and occasional conditioner mixed with a lil bit of baking soda, along with ACV rinses has significantly cut down on the amount of sores I was getting. And my buildup/allergy dandruff, too.

veggiechick
February 28th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Switching to CO and occasional conditioner mixed with a lil bit of baking soda, along with ACV rinses has significantly cut down on the amount of sores I was getting. And my buildup/allergy dandruff, too.

How do you use the coconut oil, do you just let it sit on your scalp then wash it out?

GRU
February 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Sounds like it could be seborrheic dermatitis. Check out the S.D. Support Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045).

I've been dealing with it on and off for three decades, including using a prescription "dandruff" shampoo. The thing that works best for me is being a member of LHC.... I CO-wash and really scrub my scalp thoroughly in the shower, and I've gone from 5-10 scabs/month to one scab every few months.

Oh, and for me, massaging coconut oil into my scalp at night and then CO-washing it out the next day seems to stop flare-ups in their tracks.

mackenzie1818
February 28th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Where can I find good processed coconut oil? Anyone? :cool:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5033566_symptoms-shampoo-allergy.html

mackenzie1818
February 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I find it interesting that that site is for men's shampoo... Redken Nature's Rescue

veggiechick
March 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Sounds like it could be seborrheic dermatitis. Check out the S.D. Support Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045).

I've been dealing with it on and off for three decades, including using a prescription "dandruff" shampoo. The thing that works best for me is being a member of LHC.... I CO-wash and really scrub my scalp thoroughly in the shower, and I've gone from 5-10 scabs/month to one scab every few months.

Oh, and for me, massaging coconut oil into my scalp at night and then CO-washing it out the next day seems to stop flare-ups in their tracks.

What is CO-washing is it just adding coconut oil to your shampoo? Sorry for the dumb question ;)

In2wishin
March 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
What is CO-washing is it just adding coconut oil to your shampoo? Sorry for the dumb question ;)

I think, in this context, that they are referring to CO washing as Conditioner Only

Sometimes the acronyms can be a bit confusing when the same one stands for 2 different things :silly:

LotusFIre
March 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
I was getting them BAD when I was using Pantene, but it's clearing up now. Weird, I'm still using a condish with cones, dimethecone though..but it's a more expensive brand and doesn't seem to be causing as much buildup.
Mine was like acne sort of. not sure if its the same.

veggiechick
March 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
I think, in this context, that they are referring to CO washing as Conditioner Only

Sometimes the acronyms can be a bit confusing when the same one stands for 2 different things :silly:

ahh I see lol, thanks for clearing that up :)

Zarah
March 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM
Have you tried raw honey with crushed garlic? I have that on my head right now & will report my results. It did sting the hell out of my scabs! I have lots. Hopefully a good indication it killing the fungus.

veggiechick
March 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Never tried raw honey w/garlic, but have tried a raw honey recipe with essential oils. I don't get scabs much though mostly sores or gunk on my scalp. Sometimes I'll have a sore ooze tmi lol.

GRU
March 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM
What is CO-washing is it just adding coconut oil to your shampoo? Sorry for the dumb question ;)I think, in this context, that they are referring to CO washing as Conditioner Only

Yep, In2wishin is correct. I wash my hair and scalp with Conditioner Only -- no shampoo.

teela1978
March 2nd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Different scalps react really differently to things. I get scalp pimples/sores when my scalp isn't getting washed enough. For me, diluted sulfate based shampoos are the only thing that keep my scalp happy. How often are you washing? Did you have the problem before with other shampoos?

Alternatively, it sounds like you're trying a lot of stuff on your scalp at once (herbs, teas, etc... ) could your scalp be reacting badly to one of those?

veggiechick
March 2nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Different scalps react really differently to things. I get scalp pimples/sores when my scalp isn't getting washed enough. For me, diluted sulfate based shampoos are the only thing that keep my scalp happy. How often are you washing? Did you have the problem before with other shampoos?

Alternatively, it sounds like you're trying a lot of stuff on your scalp at once (herbs, teas, etc... ) could your scalp be reacting badly to one of those?

I've always had scalp issues as far as I could remember. It was worse when I was younger, with cuts in my scalp. I'm sure that was from scratching. Any kind of sulfate shampoo, even with pinetar or salicylic acid dries the heck out of my scalp. I get more dandruff from the sulfates for sure. Sometimes It takes a good few hours and the sores pop up. Sometimes maybe a half hour. Sometimes I have a super dry scalp, sometimes it's oily with gunk or a combo. I usually shampoo every 4-5 days it just depends.

I don't use herbs, teas all at once though that was usually a few herbs at one time as a rinse. I usually rinse it out afterwards :)
I have tried refined coconut oil on my scalp then washing it out, but the coconut oil make my scalp itch. I think I will try the virgin and see if that helps.

veggiechick
March 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM
So I tried putting virgin coconut oil on my scalp, then washing it out. That was a nightmare, because hours later sores popped up. So the next day I tried using just conditioner and that didn't help either. I'm not giving up, but I'm going to attribute it to the weather. Humidity just does it badly and I don't think I can prevent that.

Hiriel
March 6th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I, too, get something that sounds like what you describe - ever since I was a kid. I get painful sores on the scalp and when they're really bad, they'll even cause headaches.

Dandruff shampoos have always kept the sores at bay, but wreak havoc on my length. Ever since joining the LHCF I've been using 50% coconut oil/ 50% dandruff shampoo to wash, finishing with Suave conditioner to detangle any remaining and an ACV rinse and have had great results - both on the scalp and the length. I coconut oil the length every night but if the oil gets to the scalp without rinsing, I'll get a breakout.

There's no one dandruff shampoo that works best. I just have to keep them in rotation by season so my scalp doesn't get used to any one active ingredient.

Keep me posted on what works for you. One of the reasons I joined this forum was to figure out a happy balance to get good, healthy length while addressing my scalp condition (me too, no insurance, so I don't know what it's called, either).

Yeah, my boyfriend gets sores which sound a whole lot like the OP's, and they also go away with dandruff shampoo, Head&Shoulders in his case. His hair isn't long, and it grows like weeds, so he doesn't have to worry about his shampoo being harsh though.