PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth: Activity vs season?

jenjen10
February 27th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Many people report a decrease in growth during the winter (myself included, unfortunately) and I was wondering if it is due to the cold weather or the fact that people seem to do less activity in winter.

I know that I tend to go into hibernation mode as it is very cold and snowy here in Wisconsin but in summer I am out playing tennis, walking, etc... My hair definitely has a growth spurt from spring until fall. do those of you who exercise regularly throughout the year (regardless of the climate) still notice a stall during winter?

kschr2004
February 27th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I am wondering if it might have something to do with activity, rather than the seasons. Most winters I have been able to keep up my level of activity, albeit indoors, and I haven't seen a significant slow down in my hair growth. But this winter, I've been fighting a lot of health issues, and I haven't been working out nearly as much. And my hair growth has slowed way down.

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I actually never even considered that. Someone was talking about how one of the reasons Monistat might work is because it increases blood flow to your head.

I've actually seen an increase in my growth this winter, which, if it is connected to exercise, makes a lot of sense. I'm working far from home, so I have to leave the house every day, and the cold makes me want to move faster.

CarpeDM
February 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I work out pretty regularly throughout the year and still notice more growth during the hot summer months...

Anywhere
February 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I believe that during winter and the colder months the body needs energy for keeping you warm instead of growing hair (that most of us wear up and don't use to keep warm :p).
I know you asked for people who are active all year but I, unfortunately, am not an active individual at all, not in spring, summer, fall or winter (I'm working on it :o). My hair has grown about .5" every month throughout this whole winter, but it seems to be speeding up to .6". I recall trying to exercise last winter and do not remember any huge increase in growth. At one point in time I had about a 1" growth rate, I'm not sure if it was last winter or not though. :ponder:

Aveyronnaise
February 27th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I work out pretty regularly throughout the year and still notice more growth during the hot summer months...

Me too, I almost never ride in cars , so I walk around everywhere all the time. I haven't really been ' keeping scientific track' of the growth but it still seems to grow more in the summer time.

nazzooyzo
February 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
well this winter my hair has grown more than it did last summer. and i'm doing slightly less exercise. i think biotin is helping.

bondeandeebowl
February 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I probably exercise more in the winter than in the summer, this winter in particular! So that isn't the case for me. Last summer I was especially lazy and my hair grew like a weed all summer :)

lapushka
February 27th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I think it may be due to warm temperatures, warmth makes blood vessels dilate, and so more blood goes to the scalp. In colder temperatures it's the other way round.