PDA

View Full Version : Shaving it off, starting over...

cuticom
February 27th, 2011, 04:13 AM
So firstly hear me out, I'm simply after advice. I know many peoples reactions is that any hair is better then no hair but then again....

Since March last year my hair has been shedding, it's drastically thinner, the hair is finer and it's curly. The curly i love, the thinness not to much. I'm careful to eat plenty of protein. I did have anaemia but thats kept in check with vitamins. Everyday I take large amounts of iron, B12 and vitamin C (under doctors guidance) as well as skin, hair and nails and a good multivitamin. I wear what I have in protective updos at all times and it does look great, until I start finger combing it out. There are no split or damaged ends it just has three distinct levels of thinness which mark the diagnosis of anaemia, the introduction of more protein and the use of biotin, so it is relatively thick at the top now but I'm not sure I can take the handfuls of hair falling out constantly anymore. Every time I see it I just feel like crying. Even my mother agrees that going bald looks liek a pretty good option right now. The worlds greatest shave is in thirteen days and I'm debating joining that and just starting over. At least then if my hair falls out, it'll be too short to notice...

I guess some opinions would be good, the other thing is also when I was eleven I fell four metres head first onto a marble flaw, so my foreheads a tad deformed, I don't mind it or notice it really, but it's always had hair covering it...

NouvelleNymphe2
February 27th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear you are having so much shedding. At least it seems after the vitamins your hair is already coming in thicker again, yay! I'll let some curly hairds weigh in on the growing out process from shaved for a cury. Just from my own experience my pixie was a great decision in terms of improving the overall state of my hair (I had fried it), but it has taken a very long time to grow in healthy. However, since you are shaving natural hair (not chemically overprocessed) I hope the growing out would go by quicker!

My honest advice though, I encourage trimming short before a full shave. Perhaps to the first demarkation line, where it's starting to grow in thicker. Either way though, hair grows back. It seems you're already on the road to improvement so IMHO I wouldn't start back at zero. But that's just my opinion, you do what feels right.

Also this:

At least then if my hair falls out, it'll be too short to notice...

isn't really true. Though my hair is plus and minus chin right now I notice almost every hair that falls out and count them. You will notice all the same, even when it's a short pixie. If you were meaning shaved, then you might be right. I've never shaved my head fully so perhaps the centimeter long hairs are invisible :).

Best of luck and lots of hugs! ;)

cuticom
February 27th, 2011, 04:44 AM
My problem with trimming back short is I'll still just be curly. The thick straight hairs are only just starting to peep through, to avoid the afro I'd have to go back to two inches long at most, god I miss my 2a hair sometimes, I abused it so much and it always looked perfect, now I do everything and yes I have glossy formed curls, but theres no gleaming thick straight hair anymore... My hair has been bleached and overdyed to remove the blue manic panic (yeah that stuff is so not semi permanent) and theres a couple of inches of regrowth which I'd want to cut back to as well so it would be a serious pixie, except they never seem to work all that well on thin, fine hair without gel and my hair and gel, not a good thing...

cuticom
February 27th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I guess I'm at the point where I'm tired of trying to nurse such thin hair, but at the same time am totally scared of going bald...

This is what I used to have, once upon a time..
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad206/BridgetsFlame/Hair/cca35a35.jpg

Yeah that was three years ago, now my hair is totally and utterly different...

NouvelleNymphe2
February 27th, 2011, 04:57 AM
i don't like gels or manic panic either. manic panic fades hard core and fast, but the dull color sticks around. and oh the bleeding in the shower, everything was pink for weeks, lol. i understand what you're saying, and you'll get there. you just need to stop all the chems. it has taken my hair years (2 years this spring) to recover from over processing (chemical dyes and a perm on fine hair). for the first year even my natural hair was like, we've had it we're not coming out until you swear off those chemicals and other frying tools!! but after 2 years my hair is now at chin length and it continues to get stronger and longer. make sure you're eating well, and try to stay positive. i know the growing fine hair out process can be discouraging, especially when you see some of the great heads of hair on this site, omg!! but with care you can improve the condition and thickness. shaving is so drastic, so i think in some ways it's like a drastic turn around. to me, the long distance turn around is more difficult and involves more patience. but i think the results are quite pleasing.

Oh and one more thing. I use organic avocado oil on my hair (and eyebrows), and I think it stimulates growth. I definitely see new eyebrow hairs sprouting up! I have a link to a great shop where you can get every organic oil under the sun. It is in French though, but perhaps google would translate? Anyway let me know if you would like some. Right now my hair is so unmanageable I put avocado oil on my end and stick it up. Before I and going to wash I will put some on my scalp. Now, if you're oily don't do this, as I tend to be very dry. Just a thought because it seems to stimulate regrowth, I haven't seen some of those cute eyebrow hairs for years and they've popped up again :)

cuticom
February 27th, 2011, 05:05 AM
LOl I dont know what it is about my hair but the blue would not fade, I had electric blue hair for months, and I didn't even bleach before I dyed it. I wanted it dyed natural because I was moving back to my hometown and I got called various things for it when I was there on holidays, so didn't want to keep it. Even then the bleach couldn't pull the blue out so I had it dyed dark. The overdye has faded out so fast though. I don't know I do agree having it cut short rather hen bald could be good, but at the same time I can't say the idea of a blonde afro is all that appealing and I can't see how I would get anything but.

Unfortunately I can't use oils, I have extremely sensitive skin and I've yet to find an oil I can use without ending up with some weird dermatological complaint. It struggles enough with regular shampoos and conditioner.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 27th, 2011, 05:12 AM
oh goodness poor thing, it seems you have had a rough go of it with your hair lately. i for one have definitely been there. just keep in mind if you shave your hair it will eventually be in the short blond puffy stage as well!

i got tired of trying every treatment on this forum, nursing, nursing, and nursing some more. so that's why i'm just putting it up. like the thread "wear your hair up for...challenge." i'm doing that. it protects my hair and keeps it out of my face and out of my mind. which is the best place to be for my hair. if it's down i can't stop from touching, brushing, feeling, wishing it were longer...yeah this helps me to just leave it alone. and when i do finally let it down (before i shower to comb) it looks so nice. then after shower up it goes again, with a handful of mini clippies!

cuticom
February 27th, 2011, 05:18 AM
my problem with wearing it up means the handfuls of hair when I take it down are even bigger... I guess It;s come to a head because I had three days without shedding and was overjoyed, and then today more fell out then ever before... Makes it worse is it was my birthday today and Mum gave me a gift voucher to my favourite hair accessories store... I dunno I definitely have to think about it, the plan was always to cut the thin hair out when the shedding stopped, but I'm getting sick of waiting, I miss my beyond bsl hair, it's only just past apl at the moment...

julliams
February 27th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I'm going to recommend going to your GP and having a full blood test done. Sometimes shedding hair can be telling you that something else is up. Hopefully everything comes back clear and it's just hormonal, but it would be good to know and to be able to rule out anything else.

Your hair is gorgeous is that photo.

cuticom
February 27th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Hmm thinking over I don't think I can do it, I'm too scared of looking stupid, but my hair is truly beginning to scare me. I had an awful year last year (moving away from home, first year of university, creepy stalker guy, parents divorcing, new insane stepmother). The last huge stress out was Christmas, and didn't calm down to mid January and I think that's what's triggered this latest shed. I guess I should just start wearing scarves or something... I have to admit I am very jealous of muslim women, I envy their hijab, so simple and gorgeous. But I don't particularly want to get into the religion argument with everyone I know (I respect muslims and would probably have chosen to follow Islam if I hadn't been born into a family with such a strong christian tradition) so I guess I should find some sort of scarf that covers everything and doesn't start the whats wrong with you game (i cannot wait till I leave this insane small town).

I just want my hair back... Guess it's too much to ask... wanders off thinking of ways to keep her hair covered and protected....

Juliams- had that done a few times now, is it sad that each time I wish their actually was something wrong? Though I'm switching doctors soon (current doctor is the father of a friend and if I have to go through the "are you sexually active" thing one more time...) I've had to wait for ever to get onto a new doctors books. So I guess we'll do the rounds of blood test all over again, maybe she'll read them differently...

lunache
February 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Hello there!

Wow! It seems like you're going through a rough patch in general, and your hair's caught in the crossfire. Perhaps, before addressing your hair with a super-chop, it'd be best to get going in a good direction in terms of your health (by going to the new GP) and in your environment (in moving). You seem to be doing all the right things for your hair - taking your vitamins, asking for advice, taking proactive steps. It's only a matter of time until your hair gets better.

I know i've definitely regretted chopping off all my hair -regardless of its damage- in times of transition (I've done this several times!). I second NouvelleNymphhe2's advice - try a cut rather than a shave to see if it's something you can work with, since the new growth is good.

I wear a hijab full-time and can attest to the fact that it helps to have the hair covered to protect it. I have several African friends who cover their hair for protection, regardless of religion - perhaps you might want to try out that route?

I wish you much patience in your journey!

annieangel149
February 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM
hi hon! you go get a cut! you dont need to shave it off but you should if you WANT to! there are peeps i know that loved getting a shave and starting from scratch! they found it liberating! virgin hair is a real treat! that said, you would need to be 100% certain when doing a drastic shave!!

bumblebums
February 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
The usual advice here is the two weeks rule. Wait for two weeks before cutting. If you still have the urge, then do it, preferably in small steps. You can cut the hair yourself to save money--see here:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

With severe taper such as the type you're describing, even a relatively small trim can make a significant difference for the appearance of the hair. Growing out thickness is easier than growing out from zero.

Also, maybe read this:

http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

NouvelleNymphe2
February 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
i really like wearing bonnets and cute hats! my husband is muslim and people tend to really freak out when i wear a cute hijab every now and again. my friends and family are always worried. it gets on my nerves because i love and respect Islam as well as Christianity. my DH and i have found quite a happy medium. so anyways, to avoid the annoying remarks i wear a lot of cute hats and bonnets. it protects your hair. also i just want to say that stress is VERY hard on my hair as well. *hugs* so here are some of my favorite hat sellers on Etsy. get yourself something cute to protect and regrow those pretty locks!

favorite etsy hat/headwrap shops:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/65561839/womens-hat-autumn-winter-beanie-with

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60357470/sweet-cinnamon-chenille-lacy-flapper

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67926145/trellis-headband-head-wrap-wine-burgundy

oh goodness now that i've popped up the shops i see there are new hats for sale, and FYI most of them are made to order so you can provide your exact head measurements! haha yay!! must...not...but...more hats...but... :)

WaitingSoLong
February 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
My 2 cents, wait the two weeks and see if you still want to do it. Also, my son loses his hair in parts, thin places, and when he gets a cut it is MUCH more noticeable. I would suggest going pixie or longer. You can always shave it after that if you want.

vanillabones
February 27th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I don't think you should do it simply because as your hair sounds to me I am jealous as it is, and I have no illness I am just a beast, :( so your hair is still able to make people envious and nice to look at. So at least you still have hair and it is somewhat long, and curliness probably disguises a lot of thinness. However, if I had the guts I'd shave my head since I barely have any right now anyway I just had to chop inches upon inches off and back to a boycut and my hair is thin and disgusting. I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with a lot of shedding if it is really annoying you maybe try getting an even cut at your shoulders and see how you like it? :( I'd trim before a shave if I were you :) Good luck

LightSabr
February 27th, 2011, 03:16 PM
That seems so very drastic, I couldn't imagine doing it to my own hair. But, whatever makes you happy. I hope all turns out well and wish you much joy in the decision you choose to make. :blossom:

Debra83
February 27th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I would definitely NOT shave it off. Just cut a LITTLE bit at a time. Start doing head massages to help circulation up there.

Also, if you are taking just one B vitamin, that may be causing your hair to become brittle and fall out. You should talk to your doctor about a multivitamin with 50mg to 100 mg of B-vitamins (your body needs ALL of them especially in stress) and extra folic acid (one of the B-vitamins). If you can't find a good supplement - you can even take a teaspoon of black strap molasses a day, but MAKE SURE YOU BRUSH YOUR TEETH well right after and rinse. Also, wheat germ, liver, and dark breads - like rye, pumpernickel etc. has B vit's in proper proportions. Stop using bleached or enriched breads in your diet. Try it for at least 6 months, and see how well you feel. Also, eggs are good for you.

p.s. B vitamins are water soluble, so if you get too much your body eliminates it. But if you get too much of one, in comparison to the others in the group - deficiencies become noticeable extremely fast. Most B vitamin supplements do not have enough folic acid in them to begin with, I take 5 mg a day of it, so you are starting with less than you should already unless your diet makes up the difference.

The only way you could possible get too much folic acid at 5 mg a day, is if you are a total and complete vegetarian. Then you could decrease it.

cuticom
February 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I do take all the B vitamins (lucky me) and folic acid, my iron tablet has some and the multi makes up the rest, I just take B12 in large amounts in the hopes my body will actually absorb it for once, My levels are good now, and hopefully they'll stay that way so I don't have to go back to weekly injections.

I'm thinking I'll leave it for now. If it does drive me insane I'll get my mother to cut it back to bob length (tis useful having a mother who was a hairdresser), I'm guessing avoiding these forums might help, because then I just get upset knowing how long it'll be till I have hair like most of the member's here.

I do know my hair is still better then many peoples, but at the same time when I can't do a pony tail because it looks like the wispiest thing ever and seeing the handfuls fall out everyday is just getting a bit much. I had to have it cut back to my ears last July as it just frizzed and thinned out insanely, but that was before the curls appeared so I just had a fairly smooth bob with some waves for volume. ]

I dunno, I had a hard time at school and during it all the one thing I'd always held onto is that the girls can say what they may, but I know my hair is thicker, blonder and straighter naturally then their hair ever will be regardless of anything they can say about me, I never said it to them, but it was something I really held onto, as petty and self absorbed as it was. Now my hair's like a third of the thickness. I have always shed alot, but it never noticeably affected the thickness.

I'm working on changing my normal styles so the thinness of the ends isn't obvious, plaits I tie off high so there's like six inches of tail to curl up so the ends aren't noticed. I guess the other thing to with being tempted to go bald is I can't stand loose hair, if I run my fingers through my hair and come out with loose hair I have to comb it out till I'm sure there's none there, as I just end up covered in it and i normally where black clothes, and I'm blond, so shed hairs are beyond obvious.

Anyways thanks for those links to etsy, and I think I'll try to avoid temptation and not come on here till I actually can accept my hair... Or the shedding stops, ya never know it might still happen...

Athena's Owl
February 27th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I've shaved my head before.

If you feel like that is the way you're going to be happy, and cutting it any longer than that has problems that you can quickly point out (and you have) then do it. it's your hair, your experience, you're the expert on it, and you're in control.

It doesn't sound to me like you're waffly or unsure...