PDA

View Full Version : OMG I just found my cut ponytail kept from years ago....

julliams
February 26th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I was sorting through a bunch of craft boxes and I just found about 9 - 10 inches of hair in a ponytail that I had kept from a cut I did in my early 20's. I can't believe that I cut so much at one time. I had been with a boyfriend and we had broken up after several years. I guess I had needed a change - a big one by the looks of things. I'm pretty sure that I met my husband right after this big chop so it would have been at around 1996.

Am I allowed to post a picture of it here or would people be upset by that? I know some people view cut hair as something upsetting. Is there anything I can do with it? I know jewellery can be made from hair. Anything anyone can suggest?

What's great is that I can see my texture from way back then and it really hasn't changed. I used to straighten my hair on a regular basis back then and this sample really doesn't have any damage that I can see. It also has a couple of dyed bits when I used to do foils at the front - my stripes - lol.

BTW I posted a picture further down this thread - post #10. If you don't want to see it - don't scroll down.

krissykins
February 26th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I think that's so cool! Maybe you can post a link that people don't have to click on if they don't want to? Lol

lindaton
February 26th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have several of them in the closet and I come across them every time I clean the closet. I often wonder what my kids will do with them when I am gone. I think I have seen hair being sold on ebay for a pretty high price and there is also a website that you are offered a price even before you cut. I have seen them sell ponytails for over 1000.00

long&blonde
February 26th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I agree, so cool! I had a braid of mine;wrapped in color threads cut off years ago. Made it into sort of a necklace sort of thing, attaching silver sun, moon & stars charms. Had it hanging on a nail above my bed with rosaries from my Grandmothers for years:til giving it away. Would love to see a photo of yours.

elbow chic
February 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Isn't it weird to find those little tokens from a past self? I wouldn't find a picture of it upsetting at all.

mustpannkook
February 27th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I remember when I was cleaning the cupboards and I found my mom's or my aunt's ponytail... At first I was freaked out because I didn't get what it was because it was so dusty... I think it was about 20 inches long. I haven't seen it lately, though.

skaempfer
February 27th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Oh, my goodness. I'm actually quite glad to read this, as I have three of these. I always thought they might come in handy some day, plus I just don't seem to be able to throw them out. Glad not everyone finds this creepy. The fun part is they are different colors, depending on lifestyle, sun, henna, etc...

fluffybunny
February 27th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I have a long ponytail in a box from my late 20's, a haircut from age 5, and my first haircut (one tiny curl) from age 1 or so. I feel a bit creepy when I get them out and look at them but I find it fascinating (and kind of sad) to see how my hair has changed. It was so much silkier and blonder then. I'm not sure why but my hair darkened in my 40s, enough so that people assumed I'd starting dyeing it. And it's coarsened steadily as well.

Uni&Corn
February 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM
That is really cool. I'm interested to see what you decide to do with it!

julliams
February 27th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Here is a photo. http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5177/5481456744_36021608c7.jpg I find it amazing that my hair is EXACTLY the same colour now as it was then. I thought I was more grey but apparently not.

Nymphie
February 27th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Wow! That's one thick ponytail, and looks lovely. I only have one of those, a braid that was midback or something like that when loose, from my first "real" haircut when I was 12-13. It's in my dad's office because he became so sad when he saw me with short hair that he wanted to keep it.

Joliebaby
February 27th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Oooh, how fun!!! It's a gorgeous color.
I wish I'd kept my TB length ponytail when I had it cut off as a kid (well I really wish I didn't cut it all but alas..) It would be fun to see how thick and blonde it was - I remember people complimenting on it all the time, it was as thick as a wrist, and blonde (though I don't remember the shade exactly and pictures are not accurate..)

julliams
February 27th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I wish I could stick it to my current length - I would be at about tailbone - now where is that glue...:eye:

pepperminttea
February 27th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I have a relic like this hidden away too. It's not a whole ponytail, just a lock of hair from the night before I first dyed it eight or so years ago. I wanted to keep a bit so I'd know what colour I'd started with. :) It's almost exactly like my hair now (the dye and subsequent perm have both since grown out and been cut off, so my hair is all unprocessed again), only now I have a few dark coarse hairs saying hello, mixed in with my usual f/m texture.

Panth
February 27th, 2011, 02:36 AM
For things to do with it, you could learn or commission some hairwork jewellery or embroidery (http://www.hairworksociety.org/). You could use it to make rats, although that seems somewhat of a shame seeing as it's all one nice complete ponytail. You could also plait it into little accent plaits that you could then pin into your hair - the bonus being that you know they will match perfectly. :P

milagro
February 27th, 2011, 02:47 AM
It's great you kept it! Lovely color :flower: Why is it so many women cut their hair in early 20s?
I wish I kept mine, too. I wasn't thinking of it at the time of chop (waist to nape, not a puny trim) and they didn't even propose it. I wonder if it was sold after. It's kinda weird some woman should wear my hair. I don't mind though. If it makes someone happier it's ok with me :)
But my father still keeps a lock of my first hair :) It's so funny, fiiiiine and almost white.

BTW if you ever try a period updo your ponytail will be very handy :) I just had to do one and I think a good extra lock of my own hair would make things easier. But it must be weaved somehow for this purpose.

ETA My grammar is awful, I had a little sleep :D

Aurantia
February 27th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Gosh, that color is gorgeous! It's a lovely pony.

anodyne_ame
February 27th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I have two ponytails stashed away somewhere :D It never occurred to me to do texture and colour comparison! The first one was from when I was a kid, so that would be unprocessed hair, the second from - surprise, surprise - my 20s, after my first ever colouring. If I find the ponytails, I'll try and remember to report the results of the comparison.

enfys
February 27th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I hope I never have one of these!

I like the accent braids idea. Knowing me, I'd just keep it as it is though. In a box that I find every time I move house :p

Theobroma
February 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I still have the classic length braid I chopped back to APL when I was twelve. There's a pic of it in my album if anyone cares to have a look. It's MUCH lighter overall than my current hair colour and shades from honey gold at the top to flaxen at the ends.

Glad I'm not the only one who keeps these things! (Actually I owe it to my mom, who was a bit distraught when I insisted on having it cut and made a dive for the braids as they fell to the salon floor. At the time I just wanted a change and would have let the stylist throw them away. Now I'm glad my mom stepped in and salvaged them.)

Anywhere
February 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I think its a good little memory-type thing to keep around, I would leave it be for future stumbling upon, but dare I say, I want that thickness! :p

DakarNick
February 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
This reminds me of a pic I saw looking through my now wife's Facebook photos. (We were friends from middle school, lost contact for a while and reconnected on FB).

It was a decent chop, too, below BSL to chin. The resultant bob was very cute but that picture still makes me sad! Four 9" long braids given to LoL. Only if I was there at the time to stop it! If not the cut, then the donation to LoL at least!

I'll share the pic if anyone wants it.

krissykins
February 27th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Aww, julliams, it's cute. :D Hi, old ponytail! :waving:

halo_tightens
February 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have two of those from the 1990s-- one mine, and one my husband's. I will keep them forever. :)

His is bound at the top with a strip of camouflage cloth, because he cut it off before leaving for the Army. That makes it even more special to me.

lapushka
February 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have a piece of hair like that too, a ponytail of about 30 cm, well actually my mom has it. It's from when I was young and had my classic length cut. It's in a pretty glass jar in a closet somewhere. :)

maborosi
February 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have two ponytails saved. My mom originally was going to donate it, but turns out they won't take my hair 'cause it's blond and too fine. I think mine was from when I was about 9, and the other was from a few years ago when I was about 15.

~maborosi~

julliams
February 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I have two ponytails saved. My mom originally was going to donate it, but turns out they won't take my hair 'cause it's blond and too fine. I think mine was from when I was about 9, and the other was from a few years ago when I was about 15.

~maborosi~

Wow, I would have thought fine hair would be perfect for a little girl or boy? But good that you got to keep it instead.