PDA

View Full Version : Idea of growing: to put it up vs to wear it down

Eirinn
June 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I've noticed such a different attitudes towards growing long hair - some say "Why grow it if you cannot wear it down?" while another say "Of course for the purpose of putting it up in different styles". So what for one is a goal for another is only a way to achieve it:p

What do you grow it for?

Me, myself, when I look on my very own hair frankly don't know if there is any purpose...:rolleyes: Ok, a moment of weakness but in generall I'd like to wear it down way more often finally:cool:

wolf girl
June 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I personally like to wear mine down. I enjoy feeling it swing and a couple times I've caught a glimps of it in a window reflection and though "WOW! That's me!" :D Does that make me vain??:confused:

Mary <><
June 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
My goal is to be comfortable in both! :D

Siava
June 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I do love the look and feeling of long loose hair. It's just lovely. Unfortunately, for my hair type, keeping it down is annoyingly damaging since it tangles so easily. Mainly, I keep it up most of the time for five reasons:

1. To keep it from tangling.
2. To get it out of my way.
3. Getting ready for work is super fast.
4. My ends don't dry out.
5. I can see progress during the infrequent times it is down. <- This is my favorite reason for wearing it up most of the time.

Maybe when I reach BSL I'll let it down more often, but for now it's just so comfy and convenient to leave it up.

Eireann
June 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
For now, I mostly wear it down. At BSL, I can't do the really fun updos, so when I wear it up it might as well be shoulder length. I understand the notion that wearing it up protects it, and if I had a goal of classic or longer, I guess that would be more important. I'm still pretty new to TLHC so I'm keep experimenting with different routines, styles, etc. I've even gone back to blow drying a couple of times a week, because it makes my hair look longer. :o

systemaurora
June 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
It's a bit complicated for me:

1) I'm growing it out so that I can try out complicated braids and updo's that I can't right now.

2) I'm growing it out so that some of my horrible weird curls will be weighted down.

3) I'm growing it out so that I can admire my long hair when I brush it.

4) I'm growing it out so that I can wear it down on special events, like my college graduation and my wedding.

Eirinn
June 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
For now, I mostly wear it down. At BSL, I can't do the really fun updos, so when I wear it up it might as well be shoulder length. I understand the notion that wearing it up protects it, and if I had a goal of classic or longer, I guess that would be more important. I'm still pretty new to TLHC so I'm keep experimenting with different routines, styles, etc. I've even gone back to blow drying a couple of times a week, because it makes my hair look longer. :o

Me too - I don't want it superlong - only waist, so I think I don't have to be "Oh, no! It will get demaged after 10 seconds of wearing it down!" I also believe that when I'll reach waist I'll be able to trimm ends every 2 moths so I could both ged rid of splits and keep waist lenght

CurlyNinja
June 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
A little bit of both for me. I'm growing because I like the look of extra-long braids and hair. It's also nice to be able to change things up with different updos, as I tend to get bored with my hair. It's a much better system to keep it long and change the styles and accessories than it is to cut it short, grow it long, cut it short again.

florenonite
June 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Well, I love the look of long, healthy hair, always have, so I hope to one day have hair like that. Further to that, I like being able to just pull my hair back if it gets in the way (as it invariably does, even at shoulder-length) without having to worry about the 'bits' that fall out, and the longer it is the easier it is to do that. Finally, I like the looks of lots of buns, but at the moment with my iii hair all I can really do is a cinnabun, and even that's pretty shoddy, so I *need* more hair :P

Oberon88
June 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I rarely wear my hair up, even though I should protect it more. I love the look of long loose hair, and I feel like I look better with my hair down.
That being said, its almost at waist, and is now getting in my way alot, so I've been attempting to keep it up.
If I was better at updos perhaps I would be more keen to keep my hair up all day, but I feel like I look silly...

bex487
June 11th, 2008, 01:42 PM
My hair is only an inch or so below collar bone, so I wear my hair down a lot right now. I'm growing it because I love the look of BSL hair down, as well as the really fun updo's one can do. I always love how my friend can toss up her BSL hair into these messy half-updo's that look so pretty. Plus, I'd love to be able to braid my hair and get gorgeous longer waves (from the ears-down).

Cichelle
June 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I so very rarely wear my hair down. My mother asks me why I let it grow if I'm never going to wear it out. I'm never exactly sure what to say to this question. I like having long hair. It's easier for me than short hair precisely because I can put it up in different ways. That's not to say I don't like wearing it down from time to time. But I think, practically speaking, whatever my reason initially, I love that I can wear it up.

Siava
June 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Oh, I also want to add the "sexiness" factor. I wear my hair up so often that when I do wear it down, my honey gets all starry-eyed. I kinda dig that. :)

lora410
June 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Right now I keep it up alot mainly because it drives me insane, esp since my bangs are only at collarbone. I am about BSL but when I hit waist and beyond I will wear it down more often. I am growing it so I can have it down not up :)

paradoxx
June 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
From just below shoulder to waist, I wore my hair up almost every day. As I moved past waist I entered a new realm where everything that I knew was wrong. I started having trouble putting my hair up and so, I started wearing it down most of the time. Recently, I have begun practising new styles, so I'm wearing it up again. It goes in cycles for me. :shrug:

nappywomyn
June 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Oh, I'm definitely growing long hair to put it up! I can't wait - I have dreams of the wonderful styles I'll be able to create on my hair!

jel
June 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Originally, I wanted to grow my hair so it would look good down. Princessy, or mermaidy, or witchy ;)

But now, at waist, although I still like to wear my hair down, I've begun to really like updos. Not just for protecting the length, but really enjoy wearing them, for the shape or the intricacy. Especially as I'm not that great at constructing them, so it's an interesting challenge with beautiful (I live in hope!:D) results.

Carolyn
June 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I like having the option of lots of styles. I didn't have with with shoulder length hair. I wear it up for convenience and the fact that if I wear it up I dont have to wash it every day. Short hair had always been so one note and boring to me. I wore mine down a lot until I was between mid back and waist. Then it got easier to have it up. I've never understood the question of "why grow it long if you wear it up all the time". Duh...long hair is long hair, whether it's up or down :shrug:

ladystar
June 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I am growing my hair cause it makes me feel good. I love the feeling of having it run against my skin. Its something that you can't help but to look at. I love it. I also like to wear it down on the weekend's when I go out. But during the week at work no way, it gets in the way and I feel like it breaks more if I have it loose at work.

spidermom
June 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
When I want to feel and look special, and the occasion is conducive for it, I like to wear it down. For every day stuff, I wear it up. It's a lot safer that way.

naomimcc
June 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I did it for both :D I wear it up and down all the time. Sometimes at the same time :P

kate46
June 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have somewhat of a dilema... if it's up I want it down, if it's down I want it up, so I do the okey cokey with my hair all day long :rolleyes:

kate46
June 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I did it for both :D I wear it up and down all the time. Sometimes at the same time :P

Snap! lol :)

systemaurora
June 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Oh, I also want to add the "sexiness" factor. I wear my hair up so often that when I do wear it down, my honey gets all starry-eyed. I kinda dig that. :)

Same. :D Plus other people are always shocked too... you get that mystique when your hair is always up, and it's fun to surprise people when you wear your hair down and it's super long. ^_^

NorthernDancer
June 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm growing so that I can wear it down, but a nice side affect is that I can do some really awesome updos! I'm planning on growing to waist length, but right now at BSL and it is kind of frusterating for some reason. I think once I get some more length to it I'll be fine. I had waist length hair as a child, but I don't really remember what it was like.

Alaskanheart
June 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I am a moron when it comes to doinf up-does, so even if I wanted to grow my hair just for all the fancy up-does I wouldnt be able to do them anyways.

Im growing because I like the look of long hair down, but that doesnt mean I will wear it down all the time when it gets to my goal (waist) , right now I have been wearing it up alot in a ponytail or a raggamuffin bun (my own ivention), but thats mostly because A. Im not happy with the way it looks down at the moment and B To protect it so that when it does reach my goal length it will be at its healthiest.

Completley pulled back hair doesnt suit me, so if I want to look goood with my hair up, I eventually will need to cut some kinda fringe.

Fencai
June 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
i like both! it depends on my mood, or what Im doing at work. I want to be comfortable in both! (Although my co-workers and family all love it long and pulled back.)

hurricane_gia
June 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Originally, I wanted to grow my hair so it would look good down. Princessy, or mermaidy, or witchy ;)

But now, at waist, although I still like to wear my hair down, I've begun to really like updos. Not just for protecting the length, but really enjoy wearing them, for the shape or the intricacy. Especially as I'm not that great at constructing them, so it's an interesting challenge with beautiful (I live in hope!:D) results.

It's kindof the same with me. I originally wanted to wear my hair down and be lovely and mysterious and yes, witchy.

But then, I started to see all ya'll's gorgeous updos and I started to have different goals. Instead of thinking about how I wanted my hair to look while down, I began to think, "I want my hair to be however long it needs to be to do that updo!"

Ultimately, my goal is to have hair that other people, even people who are not normally fixated on hair, notices and admires. Whether they notice it because it's down and really long, or because it's up in an updo that obviously requires a lot of hair to pull off, I want my hair to be awesome.

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Both for me too. I love my hair down but I wear it up more and more the longer it gets just because it can get caught and damaged more easily down. I love the variety of different styles even though I am not very good at many of them. It also makes me feel more feminine and prettier. I have always admired long healthy hair on other people. I just never knew how to do it until LHC!!! :love:

RavennaNight
June 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I'm growing definately to wear it down. I will wear it up mostly for work, because I have to climb in a stockroom and reach and get big boxes etc. But for me, loose free hair that is really long is a goal. Learning new updos is fun though, so that I'm not that bored with my appearance 40 hours a week! I'm only at BSL. Who knows how I'll feel a year from now when I'll be closing in on waist?

n3m3sis42
June 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Currently, my hair is a little bit above waist, and I'm wearing it up all the time. This is because (a) I want to stop paying so much attention to how quickly (or not-quickly) it's growing and (b) I'm trying to protect it more at the moment because I'd rather wait until it gets to my (short-term) length goal of a little past waist before I have the ends trimmed. They are already on the thin side and I don't want them to get thinner.

My intention is to get a good trim once I reach that goal. After that, I'll probably go back to wearing it down once or twice a week. If there ends up being a lot of tangling or damage, I may end up re-thinking that, but either way, I intend to wear it down for special occasions. I'm one of those people who needs to be able to wear my long hair down at least sometimes in order to enjoy it. I do think I'll wear it up MOST of the time, though--5 to 6 days a week.

I'm not sure what my long-term goal is, but it's hard for me to imagine that it will end up being past classic. If that doesn't allow me to wear my hair down sometimes without it getting horrifically damaged, I may have to revise my length goals.

Teilani
June 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
When my hair is long I tend wear it up a lot. I enjoy the more intricate styles that can be created, but even if I am not playing with any of those, I like the differentiation between public and private wearing it up creates. I also admit to being quite gratified by the reactions of people on the occasions it is left down. Right now my hair is so short I am obliged to wear it down, and I am anticipating a return to the evening routine of letting my hair down for a while, and the occasional inducement of leaving it down for a night.

Riot Crrl
June 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I like both!

With pixie there's not much of that option available.

SweetPea88
June 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I think I'm also growing my hair for both reasons. Initially, when I first joined, I always wore my hair down and really loved it that way. Now the longer it grows, the more I enjoy doing various braids and learning updos. I absolutely love the look of a long braid or big updo and really look forward to that aspect as well. :)

dukkelisa
June 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I like not having to do more than a few twists and my hair is done for the day.

I hate blow drying and curling my hair to look decent.

I like the way my hair feels when I take it down.

I like wearing it up, it's neat and tidy.

I love that it costs nothing to keep long hair. No more salon fees or haircolouring.

No more bad hair cuts.

I like wearing my hair different than most women my age.

Most of all, I like natural things. Its natural to let hair be the length it is meant to be.

MsBubbles
June 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I'm only at 24" so just above BSL and being a relatively long hair newbie I still get a big kick out of feeling my hair rest on my upper arms (in summer tops). I'm sure once that honeymoon is over, however, I'll be looking into updos. I have already noticed myself grabbing a clasp to shove in my hair if I go out in the wind or have to have my car window open. And I no longer 'just' wear a pony tail under my skate helmet because I feel like the wind might damage it more like that than in a braid. But mostly I'm hooked on the long hair feeling so I sacrifice some TLC because of that, I'm sure. Good question, btw.

mira-chan
June 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
My hair is up most of the time. I'm not too fond of wearing it down. Even when it was shorter it was at least in a ponytail, away from th face.

Islandgrrl
June 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hmmm...I grow my hair long simply because I love it long. And I wear it up most of the time (I'm in the middle of a yearlong wear it up challenge) to protect it while it grows and while I'm doing my daily stuff. Special occasions - or even when I just feel like it - it comes down.

FrannyG
June 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I love trying new updos and braids. Until I joined LHC, I had never done an updo, used a hairstick, or done anything more complicated than a 3-strand braid. Having said that, I love wearing my hair down--a lot! When my hair was recently close to waist length I really felt good wearing it down.

So I guess I'm growing it primarily for that long hair feeling when I wear it down. It's fun to play with it too though. :)

zelah
June 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I love wearing my hair down when it looks really great. But I also love wearing it up if I have a particular hair toy I'd like to show off!

All in all though, I'd say the main goal is to wear it down, as that is what really shows off my hair!

Paniscus
June 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I used to say, "Wear it down!" Now that my hair is BSL (or thereabout), I'm finding that wearing it up, especially at work, is much more easy (and cool). I do feel a sense of *protecting* it as much as possible. However, with that said, I do enjoy wearing it down when I go out sometimes.

All in all, I love long hair for the various styles that I can create with it. I can put it up in a tight updo that *mimics* short hair, or I can have it long and flowing! Best of both worlds! :cheer:

Amoretti
June 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Mine's up all day long; I love how it goes up in the mornings in 30 seconds and looks elegant all day long. At night I unravel it and enjoy the long, loose, silky feel of it. I run my fingers through it and enjoy it in a different way. :)

ajr
June 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I like the contrast of hair up in an elegant bun with classic makeup on someone that has mutiple piercings and is tattooed =).

Though in the end nothing beats long shiny hair stretching down your back.

I tend to put my hair up and then take it down during the course of the day, so I'm pretty balanced with this. Though I will admit it is fun showing off my hair.

peachy.pudding
June 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
'i Am Wearing Mine Up To Grow It So That I Can Wear It Down'

Alethia
June 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I wear my hair up or in a braid nearly all the time. To be honest I don't think it looks that great down any more because the end half is so thin (postnatal shed stuff). Maybe I need to be around some people who really dig long hair.

jojo
June 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have to wear my hair up for work, but I love wearing it down, though it does irritate me sometimes especially if I have lip gloss on as my hair sticks to it!

Morningglory
June 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
:cool::cool: I am growing my hair long because it feels right and to me, long and down feels natural. This is how my hair is supposed to be on me and this is how I love it. I am just now at waist and it is so nice to wear it down and feel my hair touch at my elbows and lower back. Although after joining tlhc I have realized how comfortable updos are and I love my braid. It is so nice to keep my hair nice and smoth in a braid or bun and it does help the condition alot. But, the pure pleasure for me is wearing my hair down.:cheese::cheese:

Madam Librarian
June 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I like wearing my hair down, but I also like the option of pulling it up. I have spent 11 years in the military, and wore my hair up in uniform for years. Around 2004 when I graduated college, I decided to get a short cut in order to look more professional for job interviews and whatnot. I got it cut short enough so I could wear it loose in military uniform. I enjoyed it, but it was more of a pain to have to style it every day than it is to just pull it back. So I decided to grow my hair so I would have that option again. I also wanted to be able to have an updo for my wedding. I wanted to have a classic, elegant hairstyle in my wedding pictures, not something that I'd look back on in 10 years and think, "Why did I ever wear my hair like that?" ;)

Most days I wear it down. I only pull it back when I feel like wearing it that way. I feel like I am taking better care of it than I ever have (and I'm always learning more), and it's ok to wear it out if I want to. If I ever reach the point where I am noticing too much damage from wearing it out, I'm either going to have to wear it up more, or trim and maintain at a better length. I'll cross that bridge when I get there though.

Rini
June 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I wear my hair up ALL the time at the moment because I don't like the look of it at this length. It is big, poofy and ugly and I still have some orangey bits at the bottom from the henna. If I did not wear it up, I'm sure I would cut it off, so I'm protecting it in two ways :D

When it is long enough that I can trim off the orange bits and still be able to do an upstyle, then I will probably wear it down more often. I have a sneaking suspicion the updo's will still be the norm though. :o I just find it more practical for my lifestyle. I guess I really am growing my hair long just to wear it up! But it is nice to have options........

Masara
June 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
My hair is only APL at the moment. I love having it down, feeling on my back. When it was longer, I loved the weight of it when it was down.
But it's very fine and tangles easily and I get annoyed with hair in my face, so I mostly keep it up. That's not a problem. I still know it's long and I'm the only person who counts.

Since finding LHC, my repertoire of ponytail, French braid, cinnabun has increased. Now I have a much more varied and interesting range of updos I can do. I really enjoy having a range of options and choosing my hairstyle every day like I choose my clothes.
I see it as having a really nice outfit. Even if I love wearing it and I look good in it, I'm not going to want to wear it every day. One day I want jeans, the next a skirt and so on...

Toadstool
June 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Don't any of you people who wear in down live in a windy area?! Mine is only in between chin and shoulder length but blows around like crazy. Only yesterday I had to scrape it back in a ponytail cos it wouldnt stop blowing around!

Saranne772
June 13th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I love to wear my hair down however, I feel it is heathlier to wear it up so I have been conciously trying to wear it up more

Saranne772
June 13th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Don't any of you people who wear in down live in a windy area?! Mine is only in between chin and shoulder length but blows around like crazy. Only yesterday I had to scrape it back in a ponytail cos it wouldnt stop blowing around!

I live in one of the windiest places in Britiain and believe me in the winter months my hair just takes off. So when I go out and about with my hair down I put the length inside my coat (its a knee length one thankfully) and then tie a scalf around my head.

rapunzhell13
June 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I'm growing it for both. Although I love the look and feel of long hair down, I really am more of an updo kinda gal. My hair needs to be short enough to spike or long enough for a ponytail at least; nothing in between. I'm eagerly looking forward to bunning and braiding. :D

julya
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I rarely wear my hair down, so I have to say wearing it up in cool different styles.

chloeishere
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Both!

I like wearing my hair up. I look forward to being able to do new styles, and utilize my many beautiful hairtoys. It's cool and comfortable at work. It keeps me from being distracted and playing with it when I'm trying to study or am at school. It's convenient all the time. It keeps me from getting tangled hair when I'm outside.

I like wearing my hair down. Quite frankly, my hair feels lovely on my shoulders and upper back, if I'm wearing a tank top. And it feels nicer as it gets longer. My boyfriend loves the look and feel of it. I feel more aware of myself when it's down.

And generally, I find it more aesthetically appealing to me when I have long flowing hair. It catches the eye. It moves in a visually interesting way. It's unusual-- I never get comments on my hair when it's short, because its beauty only really shows up when it's long.

Pegasus Marsters
June 13th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I wish I'd been able to wear my hair down more when it was long. This time I'm gonna do it right. Deep treatments all the way!

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I'm also in the middle of a year-long updo challenge so I'm currently wearing it up every day. But now I've learned so many new updos and learned of so many more that I'm anxious to try (but can't yet b/c my hair's not long enough) that I know I'm going to stick mainly to updos when I'm finished with the challenge. I love the look of elegance than can be gotten from the various updos and the ease of putting it up and then having it not be tangled when I take it down. However, I do love feeling my hair brush long on my back when I'm letting it dry after a shower and I know that I will keep it down for special occasions once I hit the year point. I do remember also when my hair was long years ago that I used to do tons of partial updos; I'll probably wind up using those again to keep my hair off my face and let my hair in the back flow free.

crystal_89
June 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I love wearing my hair down, straightened, hehehe and brushing my elbows when I walk. However, seeing as this is killing my ends and I'm often too lazy to comb my hair I've started wearing it up in a comfy bun again everyday.

Katze
June 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM

We are 60km from the North Sea and it is almost never NOT windy here. When I'm outdoors, and especially when biking, I clip my hair back with a claw clip or Ficcare, or braid just the ends very loosely and tuck them into my shirt/jacket. In winter, I pile my hair on top of my head, much like you might do to "plop", and tuck it into my hat that way, thus encouraging waves.

However, whenever I possibly can - on a still day, or just walking to the store, or indoors - I definitely prefer my hair down. Many updos look terrible with my layers, and others just don't suit my face and figure. Unlike many people here, I AM here to decorate MY world, and am glad when that makes other peoples' world prettier, too. With my hair down, within reason, I can really enjoy its increasing length and thickness.

I could never "put my hair up and forget about it" - many updos, pinned braids excluded, feel like punishment, and honestly many look very similar on me and require a huge amount of hassle - many pins, constant re-doing, and the feeling that I "look bad anyway so why bother."

So, on a normal work day, I put my hair up on the bike ride to work, then take it down when I'm there. Only very "dirty" hair days see me with my hair up.

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I could never "put my hair up and forget about it" - many updos, pinned braids excluded, feel like punishment, and honestly many look very similar on me and require a huge amount of hassle - many pins, constant re-doing, and the feeling that I "look bad anyway so why bother."

I think your messy updos look great, Katze, so I totally think you can use that as an easy way to go when you want to just stick in a Ficcare. :) But I do agree that if you like your hair down, wear it that way since you've got a gorgeous head of hair! :flowers:

Tangles
June 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I want to be able to wear my hair down or half up about 2/3 of the time, for many reasons, but mainly aesthetic ones. I won't grow my hair so long that I need to have it up all the time. This is the main reason I don't want to go past waist. I think classic is so beautiful, but I wouldn't be able to get away with wearing it down at that length.

holycannoli
June 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I think that my hair is most flattering to my current face shape being long. It's a pain trying to grow out these bangs, but in the long run I always feel happiest when my hair is long and I can put it up in a bunch of different pretty styles.

Maybe something that's not so good is I oftentimes use my hair to hide. I don't really like the way my body looks right now, and having long hair makes me feel better about that. Hopefully this attitude will change, but I'll probably keep the hair! :]

Forever_Sophie
June 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Not "for," specifically, but I love to wear my hair down! If it's up, I like a high ponytail, I love both :) (but down, preferably!).

Sorus
June 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm in love with the look of complicated updos, so for me the inspiration to grow my hair was so I could wear it up. I also love having hair long enough to imitate some Victorian styles, which is going to come in useful now that I've started attending Victorian balls. :D

Buddaphlyy
June 13th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I'm growing mine to wear it out/down. Updoes take more time and make my neck hurt. I have a big head, so all the hair on top of it would just be overwhelming.

toodramatik
June 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Putting it down, and just being able to do so much more with it. and it's just.. I don't know. I've started to think it's a major part of female beauty.

Sceleste
June 14th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I'm growing my hair long because I love what it looks like - and what I feel like - down.

I only leave my hair down for special occasions, maybe once in a month. But when I do leave it loose I feel extremely feminine, beautiful and special.

When I wear my hair up it's more like "bun it and forget about it". I enjoy being able to do different updos but that has never been the main reason for growing hair. I enjoy hennaing and doing conditioning treatments more that I enjoy doing updos.

katiana
June 14th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I usually wear it up or in a braid..but like to wear it down on special occasions as well. I feel like I have to wear it up around my children and the heat in Texas...and at work when I am around customers ( I feel it looks more professional ) I started growing my hair long after high school and had it cut short right before I met my husband..I loved the short hair for a change, but got tired of it so grew it out again..once we had our first child ( it was just way economical to not get hair trims every 6-8 weeks and highlights ) I cut my hair shortly after my 1st daughter was born and did not feel great about it..I realized the long hair made me feel better in my skin...now I have grown it out again and plan to leave it long...I have been tempted to cut it at times..and remember the feeling I felt when I cut it after my daughter was born.

Boon
June 14th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I like both. It's beautiful to wear it down and so fun to get all that comments from people :D But it's more practical with updos... It keeps the hair free from tangles, it doesn't get stuck in things and so on. I like the variation :thumbsup:

Periwinkle
June 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I grow my hair because I'm simply too lazy to cut it.

When I first started school, my mum used to make my tie my hair up every single day so that it wouldn't get tangled and to stop me getting nits. My mother is not the world's greatest hairdresser, and so I only ever wore my hair in a ponytail at the nape of the neck with a centre part (I was too young to do my hair myself). I then proceeded to wear it that way for about 8 years, every single day: I'd got so used to having it in that style that I couldn't fathom wearing it down or tied up any other way. I kept thinking 'oh, it's getting long, I'll cut it and then I can wear it down', but I still hated having it down so it grew again, and then I cut it again, then it grew...

Then I realised just how AWFUL that style looked on me and started tieing it with no part. Cue another couple of years of nothing but that...yeah, I'm creative ;)

Then, from about March '06 to March '07, I didn't cut my hair at all. I didn't really mean not to: I just sort of never got round to it, and to be honest, I never noticed the difference. Then I ended up getting about half of it whacked off because it was so damaged and horrible (no trims, wet brushing and tieing, ponytails every day, pretty much every other kind of hair abuse you can imagine, aside from dyeing).

I decided then to let it grow, since I clearly could never be bothered to cut it, but instead to try and stick with little trims every few weeks. My mum cuts my dad's and my brother's hair, after all (razor cuts), so why not mine? So I let it grow, kept tieing it up the same way and got her to trim the ends for me once in a while.

Then I started lurking here in about December and finally uncovered some interest in doing something with my hair instead of ponytailing it, and now I'm basically obsessed :D

So, it's kind of a roundabout way of saying it, but I grew my hair because I'll never like it down and I can't be bothered to cut it, so I may as well let it grow. At least now I know how to do different things with it: if I cut it short again, I'd be back to ponytailing every day of the week...

Haith
June 14th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I absolutely love wearing my hair down and loose, but I also like to wear it in updos. So, I usually have it down for the cleanest days (right asfter washing) and then wear it up towards the end of the week when it is a dirtier and also easier to style. Recently, I was out for dinner with my DH and my brother and I had my hair up in a crown braid. Both of them rounded on me at the same time, asking "Why do you bother to grow your hair long if you're just going to wear it up all the time?". I responded to this by explaining that: first of all, I don't wear it up all the time :rolleyes:; secondly, I couldn't do updo's like this with short hair.

But what I couldn't explain to them is that I'm not growing out my hair to show it off... I'm growing it for my own enjoyment.:)

eresh
June 14th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I grow it to do both :-)
I like to do braided updos and the variety it gives you but wear it loose too, when dancing I love the flow and makes me feel very feminine.

Indigo Girl
June 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I love my hair down - it's very feminine to me and I enjoy the length and softness of it on my back and arms.

As it is getting longer though I have to keep it up more to prevent the all the damage that occurs when it's down. Nowadays I keep my hair up or braided almost all the time and only leave it loose for special occassions. I have never been good at updos and could probably give several other LHCers a real run for their money when it comes to "turd buns", so I am patiently trying to learn (and truly developing a new appreciation for) updos.

One of the things I do like about wearing hair up all the time now is that once in a while, when I catch a glipmse of the length in a mirror, I am pleasantly surprised at my progress. :)