PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate-Free Clarifying Shampoo?

CavyQueen
February 26th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hi! A friend of mine recommended a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo. It is a salon brand that I really like (I use its conditioners and masques). However, I thought that you needed sulfates to remove those heavy silicones such as dimethicone. Can sulfate-free shampoos remove silicones? Thank you. :)

RancheroTheBee
February 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM
It sounds weird, but do you know what kind of silicones they are? Some of them are water-soluble and should be removed without any sulphates. I can't recall just which ones are soluble, but there should be a list in the articles section. Otherwise, you could always try using baking soda.

Luna12345
February 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I've never heard of a sulfate free clarifying shampoo:confused:
What's the name?

You can use ACV (apple cider vinegar ) to clarify your hair.

sweetm
February 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
In Canada we have a the LiveClean brand of shampoos and conditioners - all are sulfate and silicone free. They do have a clarifying shampoo that contains ACV. I haven't tried that one, but I love and do use their GreenEarth and Exotic Oil product lines.

CavyQueen
February 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I've never heard of a sulfate free clarifying shampoo:confused:
What's the name?

You can use ACV (apple cider vinegar ) to clarify your hair.

It is the clarifying shampoo by Pureology.

tigerhearted
February 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Cavy I know I saw a post around here somewhere that listed the different silicones and whether they were water soluble or not. I'll try to find it for you, but I don't remember how I stumbled on it before so I might not succeed, lol.

tigerhearted
February 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Found it! Hope it helps!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

Copasetic
February 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Some silicones can be removed without the use of SLS. This article from naturally curly explains it: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones