PDA

View Full Version : How often to trim if you are no longer growing?

julliams
February 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Well, it's not exactly true - I do intend to grow to hip (at waist now) but I'm intent on growing out my layers also and I'm thinking it might be easier to do that first???

So, I'm not really growing in the same way that I have been for the last year or so, but I'm still growing out layers - make sense? Gah - I always manage to confuse even myself!!

Anyway, supposing you were at goal, how often would you consider the need to trim? I'm guessing this is a personal thing so I just want to know how often YOU trim.

Theobroma
February 26th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I'm nowhere near goal myself, but I'll be interested to read the comments from those who are because I'm planning to maintain at hip for a while to grow out my fairytale ends. My half-formed plan for when the time comes is actually to measure at regular intervals and simply trim off all or most of the new growth at, say, two-month intervals or so.

enfys
February 26th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I'm nowhere near goal myself, but I'll be interested to read the comments from those who are because I'm planning to maintain at hip for a while to grow out my fairytale ends. My half-formed plan for when the time comes is actually to measure at regular intervals and simply trim off all or most of the new growth at, say, two-month intervals or so.

That's what I was going to say. Trimming an inch every other month is easier than trimming half an inch monthly, and less scary than trimming an inch and a half all at once.

Panth
February 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I'm not to any maintaining sort of length yet, but I would plan to trim whenever it was, to me, noticeably past my maintenance point. I guess that would be approx. whenever it got about 1" past it, seeing as I'd probably consider less than 1" as being around about the maintenance point, considering variations in measuring, braid waves vs. none (or, in the case of wavies/wurlies/curlies, how tight your waves/wurls/curls are that day).

Loreley
February 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I was maintaining at 44-45" for half a year. I trimmed 0.4" monthly because I love trimming my hair. :p I'm growing it now and trim about half an inch every 3 months. I'm planning to maintain again at 48". :)

noelgirl
February 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Depends on your growth rate. I'm maintaining at waist and my rate is somewhat faster than average, so I trim about an inch and a half every two months (that's also about how often the splits start to get really noticeable).

Angeletti
February 26th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Now that I have reached classic I plan on maintaining for a while and having the shortest parts of my hair catch up, so I was thinking of doing self trims of about an inch every other month.

Misti
February 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I am considering this very thing, as it happens.

I don't really feel like I am "done" yet -- but my eds, as you can see, get very broken and ragged. About four years ago, I got so discouraged that I cut my hair back to waist length, but within a year the ends were very ragged again.

I am not sure I can ever grow a nice neat, tidy hemline, but I am considering cutting it back a little at a time...maybe an inch every three or four months to see if I can keep it tidier.

But it looks like breakage to me, so I am also reluctant to start cutting until I figure out what the problem is.

lapushka
February 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I'm still not sure whether to further maintain WL, or to grow to hip (about 5 inches worth of damage). If I'm going to maintain, I'm thinking of having it cut 3 to 4 times a year so a larger piece can be trimmed off at once.

Athena's Owl
February 26th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm currently at tailbone wet, and decided that this year I would trim at the same point on my body once a month.

I didn't actually bother to trim in january after doing a trim in december, but i'll trim it during my next wash this weekend.

spidermom
February 26th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I think I might begin a cycle of grow to classic length, cut back to tailbone, repeat.

Or something like that.

luxepiggy
February 26th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Every time my hair gets near tailbone, I cut it back to somewhere between waist & hip, which is generally about 4-5 inches, depending on how much I need to even up my self-trimming. Takes about 9 months to grow back to tailbone, then I cut it back again, etc. Been doing it this way for about a decade now (^(oo)^)v

ETA: I don't get splits in my hair, though - if your hair tends to split you'll probably want to trim more often. I really only cut to maintain length.