PDA

View Full Version : How to emotionally cope with thinning

BranwenWolf
February 25th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure if there's another thread on this. If so, I apologize.

I would guess that for most of my life, and up until 08 or so, I was iii or close to it.
Over the past few years my hair has thinned, probably due to meds.
I have switched to different meds now, and some birth control, and the thinning is getting alarming. Every time I touch my hair, a few more hairs fall out. I end up with a decent-sized wad every time I shower.
My hair is healthy, and still growing, but I'm terrified that it won't ever thicken, or that this thinning is progressive. It's probably ii now.
I can't go off these meds and the birth control has bettered my life significantly, so if this is progressive, it saddens me.

I've tried monistat on and off and will probably get back on here soon. I have started vitamins as well.

Has anyone else had trouble coming to terms with thinning? Is there still hope for me to reach knee?

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I am no help on this topic, but I am sorry you are experiencing this.
:flower:

jackiesjottings
February 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I am so sorry :(( It may not help much but I have naturally thin hair and am now at classic- so good luck :)

Vanessa Arthur
February 26th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure if there's another thread on this. If so, I apologize.

I would guess that for most of my life, and up until 08 or so, I was iii or close to it.
Over the past few years my hair has thinned, probably due to meds.
I have switched to different meds now, and some birth control, and the thinning is getting alarming. Every time I touch my hair, a few more hairs fall out. I end up with a decent-sized wad every time I shower.
My hair is healthy, and still growing, but I'm terrified that it won't ever thicken, or that this thinning is progressive. It's probably ii now.
I can't go off these meds and the birth control has bettered my life significantly, so if this is progressive, it saddens me.

I've tried monistat on and off and will probably get back on here soon. I have started vitamins as well.

Has anyone else had trouble coming to terms with thinning? Is there still hope for me to reach knee?

When I was a teenager, I started to lose lots of my hair U could almost start to see me bald, I don't know exactly why, but in retrospect it might of had everything to do with the shampoo i was then using, Herbal Essense, I had thin hair to begin with, It was too strong, and made my hair fall out. Some of the things we put in our hair really should never be there in the 1st place, particularly us with already delicate hair.

BranwenWolf
February 26th, 2011, 11:30 PM
When I was a teenager, I started to lose lots of my hair U could almost start to see me bald, I don't know exactly why, but in retrospect it might of had everything to do with the shampoo i was then using, Herbal Essense, I had thin hair to begin with, It was too strong, and made my hair fall out. Some of the things we put in our hair really should never be there in the 1st place, particularly us with already delicate hair.

I've been using similar shampoos and routines for many years...trust me, it's not what I'm putting on my head.:) It's coming from within.

others- thanks for the comforting posts.
I had to extract a cat from my hair the other day (she likes playing with it) so it's still thick enough to catch things!

AnnaJamila
February 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
:( Esta no gusta!

Remember that thin long, gorgeous hair is a whole heck of a lot prettier than short, fried thick hair that looks like straw. Hugs to you darling!

BranwenWolf
March 1st, 2011, 03:51 AM
I felt near the back of my head and stuff doesn't feel any thinner, it's just thinner further down the length. But the hairs that come off in my hands are definitely whole hairs, not just break-offs.
My hair is also really dry. I think a moisture treatment is in order, and maybe I will dive into CO on my scalp, because it felt so good when I tried it the other day.

milagro
March 1st, 2011, 04:07 AM
I would always suggest actually count how many you lose a day. Count your sheds for a few days at least. You have no exact measurements nor count to make sure it is really thinning going on, and guestimation only makes you nervous which doesn't help. Feeling and estimating visually may be very deceitful, you hair has grown longer and what you perceive as thinning may be just weighing down, natural taper and more voluminous hair balls. I am not saying it just to comfort you :) if you want to cope with problem you should make sure it exists and to what extent.
Hope things are better soon :flower:

ETA I experienced thinning shedding a few years ago, due to grief and stress. I lost about 300 hair every day (I counted). Now my hair is longer and sometimes a friend or family member is shocked with the sight of a hair ball I pull of my comb. It looks like a lot but I know I don't shed more than normal (I still count from time to time :)) and I know what a real scary shedding is.

BranwenWolf
March 2nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
That is a good suggestion, thanks!

thirstylocks
March 2nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
Have you asked your dermatologist ? He might prescribe you something

Purdy Bear
March 2nd, 2011, 02:46 AM
I have had alopecia since I was 13, and at one period of time it got very thin - Im pretty bald now, so yep Iv had a bit of experience with it.

I would suggested you firstly go back to see your Dr to make sure there isnt something else they can do; maybe a check on iron levels etc. If they cant find anything then I suggest seeing a Dermatologist.

The other thing is that we loose 100 hairs a day naturally, so it might just be natural shedding.

If your hair gets thin so you can see the scalp there are powders you can match to the colour of your hair, which you can sprinkle on the scalp to cover up any patches etc that can be seen. Its called Toppik here in the Uk.

It may help to massage the head gently, or use Aromatherphy oils on the head which could stimulate growth. Covering the hair with a scarf may also help. Iv found Balayam (nail rubbing) is very good but may cause other illness to increase so be careful with it; also warm flannel compresses I found to be productive.

As far as I know the actual diameter of the hair follicle doesnt change, this is a genetic thing from birth as some races have thicker hair some thinner.

There are various things that can cause shedding some mentioned to me were:

Pollution
Too much brushing/combing
Tight hair dos which can cause traction alopecia
Medicines
Hormone imbalances
Androgentica Alopecia (male pattern baldness which is hormonal and not genetic).
Anameia
Direct shock to the hair follicle - such as scaring etc.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

PS: Alopecia has been shown to genetically link to Diabetes 1, Arthritus and Caeliacs disease but treatments may take many years to come through, although it seems they may have something for Androgenetica before that time.

ChatNoir
March 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm going to stalk this thread... I'm currently shedding a lot as well even though I have a tremendous amount of growth as well... Does this make sense to anyone?

Misti
March 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Oh, Branwen, I am so sorry. You have described my experience a few years ago almost exactly -- except that in my case it was because my insurance company insisted on a medicine change.

Eventually I found out what the problem, and I was able to correct the porblem -- but it left me with very thin fragile hair which may never recover because in the meanwhile I hit menopause. You have my complete sympathy.

I think the best thing to do is to be very, very careful with what remains so that it looks glossy and beautiful. The twinge over what it once was stays, but you can become content with what is, if you take care of it well.

I stopped using shampoo entirely and went with BS/ACV and that seemed to make my hair fall out less and certainly made it less crispy. I also took to keeping the length well oiled when I wasn't wearing it down, so that I could minimzie breakage. When you're already losing whole hairs, even minimal breakage becomes more obvious.

Good luck! I so hope that this isn't ongoing! Do see a doctor, though, just in case it's something that can be moderated...and type the medicines you're taking into google and search on them with the phrase "vitamin deficiency". many medicines cause side effects largely because they impair the absorption of nutrients. If you take extra of what's being blocked, you can minimize that side affect.

Red_Wednesday
March 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
I really don't have anything constructive to offer, just... :grouphug:

Zarah
March 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
I am there with you. :(

MandyBeth
March 2nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
My first HUGE shed (seriously, probably lost a good 1/2 my hair permanently) was from the PPD burn on my scalp.

To me, honestly, without the shed, I'd never have grown my hair out. I had hair that was likely as thick as UltraBella's but it was cat fine. My mom started shaving half my head (under part) when I was 4 or so, and no one ever noticed. Even with that, it was such a PITA to deal with, I kept it chin length, maybe a little longer.

My current shed is due to the massive drop in hormones with my lovely spay. Taken me from a high iii to a high ii or low iii, depends on the day. May drop fully into a ii by the end.

This one - sure, I liked my hair before. But if I have the choice between keeping the parts and having iii hair or losing the parts and even going to no hair, I'd still throw the parts in the trash.

Never mind the fun of major, major meds to control my health.

So no real advice, but big hugs!

BranwenWolf
March 12th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the support. :D I love this place.

The shed has tapered off faintly... hairs are only really coming out in the shower and brushing instead of all damn day!!
I am on vitamins now and I braid more often to keep the knots out.
I have genetics for balding but it really only seems to affect the men in my family.
Those who DON'T have balding issues have amazing thick hair, which I had before.

I do see I have about 1/4 inch of growth but ponytail circumference is going, going...