PDA

View Full Version : Do scalp massages actually stimulate hair growth?

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 08:11 PM
A bit of a random question.
When I was looking around for some hair tips, I saw that massaging the scalp can encourage hair to grow more. I don't know if this is true or worth looking into, so I decided I'd ask you guys since, well, you're experts! ^w^

If anyone finds that it does help- do you use some kind of oil or is just massaging it with bare hands okay?

~maborosi~

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I don't do scalp massages but I do cardio as often as possible. They both boost blood flow to the scalp, with cardio doing a much better job in my opinion. Blood flow gets all the nutrients to your follicles and makes your hair grow slightly faster.

KRandle
February 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hi! My hairstylist has always said massaging the head/scalp does help stimulate blood flow to the area, thus increasing cell turnover.... long story short aiding in growth.

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys.

I actually recently started exercising much more and I know it has a ton of benefits- surprisingly, I didn't know -how- it helped with hair growth. :)

Also some people say drinking a lot of water can help, too. I do drink a lot of water already- how does it help your hair health?

~maborosi~

Taur5684
February 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM
That always seemed like a snake-oil type of remedy to me. "If it's too good to be true..." kind of thing.

Having said that, I certainly don't think it could hurt! Even if it doesn't stimulate hair growth, it's definitely one of the most relaxing things to have done to you. If it does stimulate hair growth - then you're getting two benefits! Sounds good to me :-D

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 08:46 PM
That always seemed like a snake-oil type of remedy to me. "If it's too good to be true..." kind of thing.

Having said that, I certainly don't think it could hurt! Even if it doesn't stimulate hair growth, it's definitely one of the most relaxing things to have done to you. If it does stimulate hair growth - then you're getting two benefits! Sounds good to me :-D

Yeah. I know some people have to do things like massage parts of their body to increase circulation, which is what apparently massaging the scalp does- encourages bloodflow to the scalp.

And yesss! Scalp massages are oh-so relaxing! Even if they don't make my hair grow any faster, hehehe :)

~maborosi~

sunnyhope
February 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hi! My hairstylist has always said massaging the head/scalp does help stimulate blood flow to the area, thus increasing cell turnover.... long story short aiding in growth.

it will but it will also stimulate sebum production so if yo already get oily hair quick it will onlky get even worse hence why i dont do it.

and i m a fully qualified hairdresser:)

Speedbump
February 25th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I have done daily scalp massage for years, and I can tell you that it helped me regrow hair right at my front hairline. I had lost about 1/8 to 1/4 inch over time, and I was worried my hairline was slowly receding. I found out about scalp massage, and back in the day I used oil made for the purpose. Former?? member Moonchaser may still make her oil mixes, but you'll have to find out.

Anywho, scalp massage definitely helped me, and there is scientific evidence (at least one good study) that shows essential oils massaged into the scalp does regrow some hair. I do recall that we talked about it on the Old LHC.

HTH! :)

Rachel

Lianna
February 26th, 2011, 02:44 AM
How long should be the massage?

enfys
February 26th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I've read between two to five minutes I think.

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/skin-hair-nails/natural-hair-loss-remedies-for-men-00219.html

This link has information about an essential oil mix that was used in a study for a two minute massage which I think is what Speedbump was referring to.

I firmly believe that scalp massage stimulates growth, and my hair has become no oilier since starting oil massages. I would say it is less oily if anything.

Lianna
February 26th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Thank you, enfys! :flower:

slz
February 26th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I don't do scalp massages but I do cardio as often as possible. They both boost blood flow to the scalp, with cardio doing a much better job in my opinion. Blood flow gets all the nutrients to your follicles and makes your hair grow slightly faster.
Are you sure this is actually the case ? I had no idea that cardio training stimulates capillary blood flow, I'd tend to think it's different than general, but I do not know, just a supposition.

Anyway, scalp massage stimulating growth is no snake oil thing, it's just logical : capillary blood flow --> nutrients --> ability to grow. Of course it will not mean you can increase growth rate above your natural abilty, it just allows you to go up to the best of your genetics.

CarpeDM
February 26th, 2011, 07:02 AM
When I used to do scalp massages, I would shed like a mad woman, so I have relunctantly stopped doing scalp massages for that reason :(

Becky9679
February 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Interesting point about the cardio - if true it may explain why my hair seemed to be growing so much faster last summer and autumn when I was gearing up for a marathon but seems to have stalled since I took time off from training over the winter. Will have to see what happens now the weather's getting warmer and I'm heading back out for my daily runs!

Lianna
February 26th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Interesting point about the cardio - if true it may explain why my hair seemed to be growing so much faster last summer and autumn when I was gearing up for a marathon but seems to have stalled since I took time off from training over the winter. Will have to see what happens now the weather's getting warmer and I'm heading back out for my daily runs!

Actually a lot of people experience faster growth with warmer weathers. I wouldn't know since it's hot here all year around. :(

bunzfan
February 27th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have been doing this myself ever other day and using 50% of caster oil and grape seed oil i know its to early to tell really but i swear my hair has really grown since i started. The one thing to consider is i think it works for me as i have a dry scalp and hair so growth could of been impaired before i have slight Psoriasis, my scalp is certainly less dry and itchy to really tell if it has made a difference i will need to do this for several months i think.

Ais
February 27th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I've been curious about this, considering trying it. Is there a particular manner in which you're supposed to do it?

bunzfan
February 27th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I've been curious about this, considering trying it. Is there a particular manner in which you're supposed to do it?

I just massage it into the roots and give myself a mini scalp massage.

enfys
February 27th, 2011, 05:49 AM
This is the other SMT; the forgotten one.

Snowymoon's massage technique.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976

LightSabr
February 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
This is the other SMT; the forgotten one.

Snowymoon's massage technique.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976
Thank you so much for posting this! I stumbled across it once before and have been searching everywhere for it ever since. :cheese:

sakuraemily
March 2nd, 2011, 05:12 AM
I have been doing scalp massages for the last month and I think my hair has grown by an inch. It measured 23 inches last month and measures 24 this month.
That is more than usual.

nazzooyzo
March 2nd, 2011, 06:07 AM
how long do you guys massage your hair for? like 2 minutes? or 10?

McFearless
March 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
My hair gets crazy tangled if I do scalp massages even when I am very gentle. My roots like to tangle for no reason at all. When I do cardio the blood is pumping through my body and I can feel my scalp warming up and tingling and pounding like if I were to do an agressive scalp massage.

Sarah08
September 4th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Personally I like to do headstands to increase blood flow to my scalp. :cheese:

MINAKO
September 4th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Grow 5 inches over night or your money back... ;) lol

enting
September 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure about hair growth, but scalp massages are important for scalp health and reducing itchiness and dandruff. A healthy scalp might lead to faster or better hair growth, or it might not. The way that I was taught to do a scalp massage involves planting your fingers on your scalp and moving the whole thickness of the skin, keeping your fingers in contact with the skin in the same spot. Letting ones fingers move around over the surface of the scalp could contribute to tangling and breakage due to the friction.

AutobotsAttack
September 5th, 2015, 07:05 PM
When I used to do scalp massages, I would shed like a mad woman, so I have relunctantly stopped doing scalp massages for that reason :(

I wonder why that happens because. I've been doing scalp massages consistently for maybe four or five months now, and my shedding is sooooo much. I haven't lost any thickness or anything like that but I have been shedding a lot since doing scalp massages.

vpatt
September 5th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Personally I like to do headstands to increase blood flow to my scalp. :cheese:

If only I could do headstands, lol. But I can do down dog.

Hairkay
September 6th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure about hair growth, but scalp massages are important for scalp health and reducing itchiness and dandruff. A healthy scalp might lead to faster or better hair growth, or it might not. The way that I was taught to do a scalp massage involves planting your fingers on your scalp and moving the whole thickness of the skin, keeping your fingers in contact with the skin in the same spot. Letting ones fingers move around over the surface of the scalp could contribute to tangling and breakage due to the friction.

Good post. Whenever I massage that's how I do it.