PDA

View Full Version : getting hair blowdried or straightened after trim at hair salon??

ghilliegirl_an
February 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I am going to get my hair trimmed at a salon next weekend and my mom who is taking me said they will probably blow dry and straighten my hair after cutting it. I used to straighten my hair everyday for years and just now stopped and am trying to baby my hair as much as possible. I haven't straightened it since October so far and don't want to ruin all that progress by having it straightened at the salon where they undoubtedly use it at the highest temperature and have my already fragile hair break off. What should I do? Is there anything I can tell them so they won't straighten it or just tell them to straighten/blow dry on the lowest temperature? I had another question regarding straightening too, I'm an Irish dancer and during March we do a lot of performances, I always used to straighten the front part of my hair that I put in a poof in front of my wig to keep it from getting frizzy, do you think it would be too damaging if I straightened it dry with the temperature at like 8 or 10? I figure it's new undamaged hair so it won't take a lot of straightening just a swipe or two. I know the best thing would be to not get it straightened at all ever but I don't know what to do now, any advice would be much appreciated.

-Ashley

krissykins
February 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Straightening every once in awhile isn't too bad, but you can request not to have your hair straightened/blow dried.

Anywhere
February 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM
not sure about your second question, it depends on how long the hair is / if you plan on trimming it every so often. As for the first, just tell them before they do anything that you'd rather not use heat on your hair. You're paying them so they should listen. I personally am fine with a blowout or a straightening session since I rarely go to the hair stylist, maybe once a year at most.

Carolyn
February 25th, 2011, 08:13 PM
You are the one in charge. The stylist's job is to comply with your wishes. You don't have to have your hair blow dried or straightened. She should discuss with you what you want done. That's the time to tell her you don't want any heat styling. I get mine blow dried and straightened every time I get a professional trim. I love how it looks and feels and I can enjoy the results for a couple of days. I don't think it's a big deal to do it once in a while.

Kat Girl
February 25th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Usually when I get my hair trimmed or cut I request that the stylist cut it dry (when it is dry it is easier to see how it will fall as it's being cut. when they cut it wet, it might look completely different when it dries). Anyway, they cut it dry and therefore have no need to dry it and they don't straighten it either. Of course you can always tell them weather you want it dried and/or straightened or not.

patienceneeded
February 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I just had my hair trimmed last week and the stylist did not straighten it. They'll straighten it if you ask, some might straighten it if you don't tell them not to. Just talk to the stylist and ash him/her not to straighten your hair. They don't HAVE to blowdry or straighten. I had my stylist blowdry my hair curly using a diffuser and with the heat set on low. She offered to leave it wet if I prefered. Just let your stylist know what you want!

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I always leave with my hair wet, I don't like the time it takes to blow-dry it and I hate my hair straight, so there is no reason to flat iron it.
I would never allow someone to dry cut my hair, certain hair types should always be cut wet. My natural texture would completely get in the way of a good dry cut. Also, some stylists are amazing at cutting hair wet but terrible at cutting it dry. I want my stylist to do her very best on my hair.

3azza
February 26th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I leave with wet hair too most of the times. Sometimes i blowdry my hair if it's chilly outdoors. I'd rather have my hair damaged (it will be damaged anyway by cold wind) than get sick. I use a leave in conditioner to trap the moisture, and i don't straigthen because it requires more heat and more time and i don't think it's more appealing.
And about the dry cut, i would not recommend it if you're a 3a/b.

Viechen
February 26th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I ask my stylist to blowdry on cool setting so I can see what the finished cut looks like. I also ask to NOT have it straightened and to be able to see and approve/refuse whatever product she wants to put in. I really like my stylist because I feel that she understands that I do not use any heat on my hair and very few products like shampoo/conditioner and my coconut oil.
She even got a small bottle of oil (I forget which kind) for clients like me :) And now whe helps me measure my length every two months for my mini trims... I hope I find someone like her when I move soon...

julliams
February 26th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I'm of the thinking that when they use a straightener on me, it's a bit of a cop out. My hair is so thick that a blow dry is alot of work. Many stylists forsee this and so they end up using a straightener. I find it a bit annoying because it's something I can do at home. Of course, leaving it to airdry means I feel I don't really get my money's worth so I often let them blowdry it. I only visit a salon a couple of times a year so I like to enjoy it and feel fabulous when I leave if at all possible.

CAPA7
February 26th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Can you just book a wash-cut, as opposed to a wash-cut-finish? The "finish" part, at least at my old haidresser's, always included blowdrying and styling, but I'm sure if you don't want it, that'd be ok.