PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone with Waist length/longer have layers or bangs?

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hi, everyone!

Does anyone here have hair that's WL or longer with some layers cut into it? What about bangs?

I used to have my hair all at one length, and it never looked that great because it's pretty straight and had very little 'body', if that's the right word...

I wasn't thinking some kind of shaggy cut full of layers, but maybe something with a few cut a few inches above each other to give it some life?

I also love having bangs, but I was worried I'd look kind of scary if I kept it all one length and had bangs.

Thanks for helping me! :)

~maborosi~

Kristin
February 25th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I have layers AND bangs. The layers are mostly old and the shortest one is around BSL. I also angled the front myself earlier this week. I had blunt bangs in the fall and I'm now growing them out to side-swept bangs. Unless you have really thin hair, I think both bangs and layers look great on long hair.

Edit: And my hair is between waist and hip. ;)

jasper
February 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I have bangs. I don't have layers.

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I have layers AND bangs. The layers are mostly old and the shortest one is around BSL. I also angled the front myself earlier this week. I had blunt bangs in the fall and I'm now growing them out to side-swept bangs. Unless you have really thin hair, I think both bangs and layers look great on long hair.

Edit: And my hair is between waist and hip. ;)

I have kind of fine hair, with some coarse ones here and there, but I have a ton of it, so it doesn't look very thin. I hope it'll work out, I suppose I should let it grow out a bit before I decide. ;)

Thank you so much! :)

~maborosi~

bluesnowflake
February 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I know Ultrabella does, and she has gorgeous hair- maybe she'll see this thread. I had layers but found them too hard to style and grew them out.

skyblue
February 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I had long layers they were ok at waist but now with my hair longer I'm trying to grow them out

Ais
February 25th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I was actually going to ask the same question - anyone I've seen with very long hair (like waist+) hasn't had a fringe (or bangs are ye see to call em :p). So it is workable yes? I was worried I'd look off balance if I kept my fringe in as it got longer, but I have a pathological need to have some hair framing my face!

SandraEmily
February 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm at waist now and I've got bangs, unintentional shorter front(from trimming too much) and some short layers at top(not from cutting, probably new hair:D).
I love my bangs and if I had more hair I would layer it. And if you're afraid you'd look 'scary' with one length and bangs, I think face-framing layers would look good.

ravenreed
February 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I am a bit past TB and have chin length fringe/bangs and layers. I love them both.

Eire
February 25th, 2011, 04:19 PM
My hair's a little longer than waist. I have growing out side bangs that are at about chin, and a few remnants of layers in the back. Right now I'm trying to grow it all out one length just because my hair has had layers and bangs for as long as I can remember, and I just want to see how I like it. Plus, the short pieces around my face are really annoying when I'm doing updos. They stick out all over the place.

MonikaHa
February 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I used to have this kind of a cut, pics are in my album.

RadiantNeedle
February 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have layers and a long fringe.. thing. Which was at cheekbone-chin length and is growing out. I might trim it, I might not!

carabean
February 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hi...

I have hair similar to yours and I find that unless I am blowing my hair dry and turning the ends under with a flat iron, they just seem to fade into my fine hair anyway. For fine hair, I prefer and all one length blunt cut.

However, when I have more time to style, I plan to cut side bangs...

Animae
February 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have almost waist length hair, but mine is wurly, so its kind of naturally uneven, and bangs that frame my face, because if I don't have something like that, I look really severe with my hair up.

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone for helping with input! c:
As soon as I have more posts, I can check out people's albums :3

I worry I might look too gothic if I keep my bangs, but I really love how they look- plus, if I ever wanted to wear my hair without the bangs in my face, it'd be kind of tough.

My other alternative is to grow it all (relatively) one length, then if I want it to look like I have bangs, I can pull a section from the front and tuck it behind my ear or clip it back. But I don't know what this is called or how it would actually look on long long hair. :(

jil
February 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I am growing out bangs (now barely at shoulder length) and I have some long layers. I really like the look of "all one length" long hair, but have found that my wavy and thick hair looks poofy if it is not layered.

Anywhere
February 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I have bangs and layers, but the layers need to go. I hate them. I'm growing out my bangs right now but I might cut them back later on down the road. I like the length they're at right now (bluntish, eyebrow length). I think it looks good.

ETA: My hair is almost BCL. once you can view albums check mine out, I have a few pictures of my bangs.

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM
When I had really long hair I felt awkward just having bangs without layers. So I cut a few face framing pieces, I guess you could say a U-Shaped hemline. I didn't cut any layers into the hair if that makes sense.

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM
When I had really long hair I felt awkward just having bangs without layers. So I cut a few face framing pieces, I guess you could say a U-Shaped hemline. I didn't cut any layers into the hair if that makes sense.

How do you actually cut a U-hemline without messing it all up? I would never go to a haircutting place if I had really long hair because I'd be afraid they'd chop it too short ):

~maborosi~

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM
How do you actually cut a U-hemline without messing it all up? I would never go to a haircutting place if I had really long hair because I'd be afraid they'd chop it too short ):

~maborosi~

There is a self-trimming method many people on here use with lots of success. Its simple and all you need is a pair of sharp hair cutting scissors.

Could someone please post a link with instructions? Thank you:)

renarok
February 25th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I do. Some leftover layers from years ago and side swept bangs.

Kat Girl
February 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I think long straight hair with blunt bangs could be very cute. You could also do sideswept bangs or even layers on the front, but I would not do layers in the back.

mtstorm
February 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM
My hair is between hip and TB and I have bangs and layers. I had blunt bangs 2 months ago but am now growing them out, too much upkeep lol. Most of my layers are older between BSL & hip now. I envy those who can pull off no layers and bangs, but alas I am not one of them. ;)

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I know Ultrabella does, and she has gorgeous hair- maybe she'll see this thread. I had layers but found them too hard to style and grew them out.

Hi ! I have layers and bangs. My layers are "long, blended layers" and I really love them. They are not choppy and they give my hair bounce and movement. I can still easily put my hair up. My hair is currently at hip length.

sunnyhope
February 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I m sure i will have both when the time comes......

guildfounder
February 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM
My hair is below waist and I've always kept my bangs mainly because my hair is fine and straight. you could say its my signature to have a side part and "gelled to the sides" bangs. they don't hang down over my forehead but frame my face. for some reason my bangs have gone white first, I really like it as a kid I knew I'd never be beautiful but I figured as long as I was exotic I'd be beautiful to those who mattered to me, at almost 50 I have to say it worked pretty well I get complements from all ages.

walterSCAN
February 25th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've got fairly blunt bangs right now-- I got bored with my hair due to work + a lack of things I could do with it while there and cut them in lieu of something more drastic... I love them!

I've also got the remnants of short-ish face-framing layers that I randomly trim or not...

How about a picture of mine until you can view albums? ;)

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/bangsexample.jpg

(I cut my friend's face out b/c I haven't asked her about how she feels about being on the public forum... she's fine with albums, but :shrug: )

maborosi
February 26th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I've got fairly blunt bangs right now-- I got bored with my hair due to work + a lack of things I could do with it while there and cut them in lieu of something more drastic... I love them!

I've also got the remnants of short-ish face-framing layers that I randomly trim or not...

How about a picture of mine until you can view albums? ;)

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/bangsexample.jpg

(I cut my friend's face out b/c I haven't asked her about how she feels about being on the public forum... she's fine with albums, but :shrug: )

Woow! Your hair is AWESOME! I love the color!

I think blunt bangs look great on you!! I guess I can really see when the time comes for me to decide what'll look best for me :)

Thanks for sharing!! :)

~maborosi~

lingxi
February 26th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I just got my hair cut a few days ago to get layers! Now it's sitting at waist lenght...unfortunately my hair's quite flat and limp to begin with so I thought I could get some layers to oomp up the volume and make it look neater, but the hairdresser went all scissor-happy and cut so many layers AND went back to thin each layer out. At least my hair frames my face better now...(ok I'm actually quite upset about it) just make sure you're gonna be fine with losing all that hair!!!

Joliebaby
February 26th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Well, my hair is a couple of inches short of WL, but I have layers starting at shoulder/APL length. I have bangs too but they are chin length already as I'm growing them out. I'm not sure if I'll keep the layers either... I used to think that I'd trim them off but I have started to think about keeping them. We'll see.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6270&pictureid=96844

xoxophelia
February 26th, 2011, 12:42 AM
My hair was maybe a bit below waist after getting layers and it was very choppy and a little trendy with side swept bangs and layers starting at about the middle of the back of my head. It can work but for me I needed to heat style the layers to make them look right. Otherwise they didn't work with my texture.

UltraBella
February 26th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I just got my hair cut a few days ago to get layers! Now it's sitting at waist lenght...unfortunately my hair's quite flat and limp to begin with so I thought I could get some layers to oomp up the volume and make it look neater, but the hairdresser went all scissor-happy and cut so many layers AND went back to thin each layer out. At least my hair frames my face better now...(ok I'm actually quite upset about it) just make sure you're gonna be fine with losing all that hair!!!

I am always surprised at how little hair is gone when my layers are refreshed, so I think it can depend on the person doing the cutting more than anything.
Bad layering can be a nightmare. I am thankful my stylist knows exactly what I want and she always listens.

rosek
February 26th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I have layers and bangs. You can see them in my album :flower:

Hala
February 26th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have bangs. I also LOVE having growing-in bangs, because I like the look of the shorter locks of hair near the face, so I usually cut in a few of what would probably be described as "face-framing layers" to simulate that look.

Becky Safari
February 26th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I have layers and my bangs are barely long enough to put behind my ears. I tend to re-cut my bangs every once in a while, as I like the look of them on me a lot but I grow them out when its too much work. I don't like to be fussy about styling my hair

vlhxo
February 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I have ALMOST waist length (about 2-2 1/2 inches away) hair and I have layers that start a little below APL. However, my hair is 2a/2b so cutting it in layers helped not weigh down my waves so much. If you're looking for some body I'd say layers are the way to go. And I love the look of bangs with long hair, especially if they are blended in with face framing layers. I used to have side-swept bangs and I liked them a lot but I grew them out because I got annoyed with having to straighten them every day for them to look nice. With your 1b hair you probably won't have to worry about this though.

Leneveu
February 26th, 2011, 10:12 AM
There is a self-trimming method many people on here use with lots of success. Its simple and all you need is a pair of sharp hair cutting scissors.

Could someone please post a link with instructions? Thank you:)

Here it is (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) :)

Marciesmojo
February 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
My plan is to have waist length hair with layers starting at my shoulders :) I love the way layers look in long hair, my hair is fine as well.I don't like bangs on myself but I have seen people with long hair and bangs and looked beautiful!
Marcie

RetroKitten
February 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Do those with layers (<-meaning layers below the shoulders):
do you have problems with hairs sticking out when you do updos?

jackiesjottings
February 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Classic and have had a fringe for many years. I just don't suit not having one :( My fringe is the only part of my hair I willingly cut!

tigerhearted
February 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I had layers when it was BSL...they've mostly grown out, but I'm thinking of having them put in again.

I had side-swept bangs cut in last year and liked them a lot. I had her do them long enough so that I could still tuck them behind my ears or pin them back if I wanted to. They've grown out a lot now but I'm thinking of having them done again.

HintOfMint
February 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I have side-swept bangs that I'm keeping indefinitely, and layers that I'm growing out, and my current length is about an inch or so away from hip.

I really like the look of long hair with bangs, it adds interest and it helps my updos look less severe.

I'm not sure if I want to grow out my layers entirely though. I might keep some subtle ones at the ends and enough to keep a nice U-shaped hemline.

fairystar32
February 27th, 2011, 08:38 PM
My hair is waist and I have front layer and bangs :)

Alexannee10
February 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I have bangs :) But I grown my layers out !