PDA

View Full Version : Split prone people with past damage?

monsterna
February 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
So I'm wondering something. I see pretty split-prone at the moment. I am growing out over a year old highlights, and also used to flat iron here and there many months ago. I've stopped blow drying my hair for at least a month. So I'm growing out all this damage and I'm wondering if I'm REALLY split-prone, or if my split occurrences will lessen as the damage is cut off eventually.

Any other splitters have anything to add about this? Have you noticed less splitting as your past damage grew out (no matter how severe or not), or has your hair split the same either way?

vanillabones
February 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Well this will be the thread for me right now.

About or less than a month ago I noticed I had a ton of splits after 5 months of bleaching my hair multiple times and picking out fusion hair extensions. I decided to go natural for life. I got a trim to take off my splits and took my sig pic when I got home I thought I'd be good until summer.

Yesterday I felt the entire back of my head was all splits, crunchy & curly for a good few inches. It was disgusting. I was up all night last night crying and cutting my hair into this now weird shaped short mullet of 1-3 inches all around the top, back to square one.

So my ends that were split and cut off didn't give me a fresh start, the ends that were fresh and new split too. I dont heat style at all and only use a wide tooth comb when I wash. I think that damaged hair is going to split until it's all gone for good. That seems to be my case anyway, so no more length worries for me I just need to make my hair stop splitting. I'd shave mine off if I had the courage.

Sorry to be debby-downer. If anyone has any split tips or further prevention for extremely damaged hair please please please let us know. I will sit here all night with an avocado on my head waiting :(

Uni&Corn
February 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
For me, my hair got TERRIBLE splits after blowdrying and straightening my hair every day for a year. Even after I cut off the obvious damage I still get a lot of splits, but I'm certain that it's because my hair is still recovering from the previous damage. Before I started heat styling I was completely split-free. Patience is key. If you already stopped highlighting and flat-ironing, I doubt your hair is naturally split-prone. More likely your hair was damaged higher up than where the splits were and are just starting to split now. If you keep S&D-ing I think you should be fine :)

I hope this post made sense...I feel like it was confusing

monsterna
February 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM
For me, my hair got TERRIBLE splits after blowdrying and straightening my hair every day for a year. Even after I cut off the obvious damage I still get a lot of splits, but I'm certain that it's because my hair is still recovering from the previous damage. Before I started heat styling I was completely split-free. Patience is key. If you already stopped highlighting and flat-ironing, I doubt your hair is naturally split-prone. More likely your hair was damaged higher up than where the splits were and are just starting to split now. If you keep S&D-ing I think you should be fine :)

I hope this post made sense...I feel like it was confusing

Not confusing. That's what I figured. I just didn't know if people who were splitting bad because of damage also found out later after cutting the damage that the amount of splits are still the same.

RancheroTheBee
February 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM
My guess is that it's just prior damage that's catching up with your hair. Sometimes, it takes a while for the damage to show up. Kind of sucks, but it's good that you're aware of it and you're not accumulating more damage.