PDA

View Full Version : Rag curls! NO HEAT

Vanessa Arthur
February 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM
RESULT: :cheese:http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/306.jpg

THE PROCESS: Cut 1"X9" strips (tip: stretchy material is better for tying). Cut about 30 strips, you may use more or less.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/302.jpg

Use small sections of hair for a very curly look, big sections for a very relaxed look. ( I used small sections about 1" squares on my head, sometimes less, small to medium at most).
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/294.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/297.jpg

Freshly removed rags look:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/303.jpg

Play with it with ur fingers ONLY, be gentle. Take a couple of curls here and there and gently separate.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/305-1.jpg

Right view:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/306-1.jpg

Left view:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/311-1.jpg

Front:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/1TheNesa86/315-1.jpg

Its not perfect, but if ur serious about growing ur hair out, this sort of thing can save u from hair boredom hell.

emmaya
February 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
very pretty! are they comfy to sleep in?

Vanessa Arthur
February 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Thank you! Yeah they are alright to sleep in, way better than the sponge curlers w/plastic in them. They might get a little frizzy if u sleep in them, it might be a good idea to wear a silky head scarf to bed.

Anywhere
February 25th, 2011, 06:19 PM
These look great. I must put this on my to-do list of hair things. :D

Uni&Corn
February 25th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Your curls are beautiful! I see you have 1a/b hair (like me)...did the rags retain your curls well? How long did they last? I'm curious because my hair never holds curls for more than half an hour :/

dragonmyst
February 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Nice! :D
I will have to try that.

Emerald88
February 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Beautiful curls!

Chamomile betty
February 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM
You hair is so pretty.

Vanessa Arthur
February 25th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Your curls are beautiful! I see you have 1a/b hair (like me)...did the rags retain your curls well? How long did they last? I'm curious because my hair never holds curls for more than half an hour :/

I don't know what 1a/b stands for :S, I just kinda guessed, but i have straight, fine hair, I think the only reason it's not stick straight all the time is because its fine + not heavy. ( I get soo excited when I find some one else w/my hair type, instant buddies)

Anyway, yess, they do hold very well, I left the rags in for about 4 hours-ish on moist hair, and they held for 2 days! (the only reason they came out was cus it was about time i should wash my hair :P)

Vanessa Arthur
February 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM
You hair is so pretty.

Oh no, the link isn't working, every time i click on it a pop-up says the blog has been removed :(

PS: I love how ur hair looks soo full, mine is a little flat, currently past bra lenth but not waist yet, like yours, but man, you really look like ur already there, I mean, ur hair makes a statement "GODESS", Love it!

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM
omg This is awesome!
Your hair and my hair look really similar except I have layers so I don't usually curl it.

Do you put the rags on when your hair is wet or dry?

~maborosi~

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Your hair so beautiful! Very silky and shiny.

1hunky5monkeys
February 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Very pretty! :)

Taur5684
February 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
looks good! I'm just curious - what exactly did you do? Did you wrap your hair around your fingers or something and then tie it in place? Or is the hair wrapped around the fabric like I've seen in other tutorials?

ScarlettAdelle
February 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I did this with socks (and WAY bigger sections) a while back when I lived with my grandparents... My grandfather chuckled every time he saw me until I took the socks out and had lovely curls. I can't blame him for laughing, I looked really silly wandering around with a bunch of novelty Halloween and St. Patricks day socks in my hair! :)

BrightEyes
February 25th, 2011, 10:18 PM
So pretty! I love those curls, and your hair is so shiny. I can't wait until I can try this on my hair.

strigiformes
February 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Very nice! I will try this! :)

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I tried this once and completely failed. It is a great look for you and your hair !

boudica
February 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM
socks...oh the possibilities!

sycamoreboutiqu
February 25th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Lovely curls - lustrous hair and you are very pretty too :)

Wow - rag curls - takes me back to my childhood.

My grandma believed in long hair and she lived with us growing up so our hair remained long under her care until our mom decided it was time for the dreaded "pixie cut".

For special occasions (like Easter Sunday) we would have to sleep in rag curls so our long hair would look presentable the next day. I don't recall it being a very comfortable experience, but I think we also had some pretty tight rags going in order to produce the classic "Shirley Temple" type ringlets.

Basically you took a long strip of cotton cloth about 1/3 to 3/4" wide - thinner fabric seemed to work better - about 2 1/2 times as long as the hair strand. Divide damp hair into sections of about 1/2 an inch - hold one end of the cloth alongside the top of a section with about a 2" tail - then wrap the cloth around the section of hair in a spiral pattern going down ( like a barber pole) and when you get to the bottom come back up - then tie the two ends together at the top.

I think the general effect is like making a giant "spit curl" (anyone remember those ?) only it is vertical instead of horizontal.

Adding a styling product to the damp hair will increase the longevity of the curl, but may make it a bit crunchy at first. I think we used to use something home made as a hair gel, but can't recall now what it was.

Panth
February 26th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I've done this twice before, both on wet/damp hair just before bed and slept with them in. I got my bf and my (male) flatmate to do them for me since I couldn't reach and I rolled them all the way up to my scalp.

The first time was pretty awesome - I probably looked somewhat like a poodle since it was all frizz but my hair went from about waist/TB to chin/shoulder for about half a day. So fun!

The second time something went wrong - all the fabric got matted into my hair overnight, it was a nightmare to remove (involving scissors - mostly just on the fabric, thank goodness) and I ended up with very loose wurls that fell out in under an hour ... except for the section in front of my ear on the righthand side - that went poodle-y and short.

So, my recommendations are: use a soft, fine, thin fabric that doesn't fray easily. If you use damp hair, make sure it is almost-almost dry - otherwise it might not dry whilst in the rag curls and when you take them out, the curls will fall out as the hair dries. And, if sleeping on them, a silk scarf or silk pillowcase is a very, very good idea.

...learn from my fail. :P

Panth
February 26th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I've done this twice before, both on wet/damp hair just before bed and slept with them in. I got my bf and my (male) flatmate to do them for me since I couldn't reach and I rolled them all the way up to my scalp.

The first time was pretty awesome - I probably looked somewhat like a poodle since it was all frizz but my hair went from about waist/TB to chin/shoulder for about half a day. So fun!

The second time something went wrong - all the fabric got matted into my hair overnight, it was a nightmare to remove (involving scissors - mostly just on the fabric, thank goodness) and I ended up with very loose wurls that fell out in under an hour ... except for the section in front of my ear on the righthand side - that went poodle-y and short.

So, my recommendations are: use a soft, fine, thin fabric that doesn't fray easily. If you use damp hair, make sure it is almost-almost dry - otherwise it might not dry whilst in the rag curls and when you take them out, the curls will fall out as the hair dries. And, if sleeping on them, a silk scarf or silk pillowcase is a very, very good idea.

...learn from my fail. :P

charalito
February 26th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Nice hair!

Love the rag curls, it's my method of choice. I sewed something in between rags and pillow curlers because there are no pillow curlers in Mexico and I wanted cotton rags and it got kind of heavy. So I bought some half inch ribbon and sewed a rolled cotton "pillow" about 1.2x3" in the middle of the ribbon. Wrap damp hair in pillow, tie ribbons and that's it. It looks pretty cute too, all the ribbon bows in my head when I sleep :)

NouvelleNymphe2
February 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
wow, your curls look very pretty and delicate. i am also a finey :). i will definitely try this when i get some length it looks lovely! thanks for all the pictures!

mrs_coffee
February 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Wow, those ringlets are lovely! Your hair is super shiny. I love it.

SurprisingWoman
February 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM
really nice. I made my sections too small when I did it. I need to redo with larger sections of hair. I love your shine!

Joliebaby
February 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I wonder if I ever have the patience and energy to try these.. would love to gve myself WILD curls sometime :)
BTW, you are very pretty and your hair is gorgeous, Vanessa Arthur!

Lexy
February 27th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Closed for troll trouble.