PDA

View Full Version : Bad accident; lost a ton of hair :(

Shadow Walker
February 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Long story short, I was out with my girlfriend and some of her friends at this club. We moved from the bar to the other side of the room where there were benches but there were too many people there so I ended up standing. I was talking with one of my girlfriend's buddies and unbenkownst to me, I had backed up too close to a stand that had lit candles on it, and my hair caught on fire. :sad

I lost a lot of hair, before this happened I was about a half inch away from classic, and now I'm back to around waist length. I've lost over a year and a half of growth, and I'm extremely upset. But I guess it's a good thing I wasn't seriously hurt, I was wearing my leather coat so my shirt didn't catch on fire. My girlfriend managed to cut off the charred parts and even it out, and even though I'm thankful I didn't lose all of my hair, I'm still very sad. I'll post a picture soon, but I'm just too upset to do it right now.

EDIT: Here's a picture of my length before and after.

Before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=93951

After:
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4773/133403.jpg

RancheroTheBee
February 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
:( Oh, God. I'm really sorry. That's a really terrifying way to lose your hair. I don't really know what to say. I hope you're feeling okay.

Kathie
February 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Oh no! Thats terrable :(

Sending heartfelt sympathy to you :blossom:

chopandchange
February 25th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I know this isn't what you want to hear right now, but hair is just hair. It doesn't scar. And it doesn't feel pain. Unlike skin. And it grows back. So, like you say, you are very lucky your clothing did not catch fire as well!

growing2shine
:grouphug:OMG, Shadow Walker, I'm so sorry for you!:grouphug:

... I hope your hair will grow very fast to catch up!!! :blossom:

lillylonghair
Oh no!!!!:( I am so sorry. That really sucks. Firstly,at least you are okay! That would have been horrible if something worse happened. Would treating yourself to some new products help you feel better? I don't even know what else to say because I can't imagine how upset you are. So heres a hug.:grouphug:

I do think you should let yourself be terribly upset,angry,etc.Did you speak to anyone at the club about the candles?

eshta
February 25th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Good to hear you have no other injuries. Wishing you the biggest spring/summer growth spurt ever, to hopefully make up for some of the loss :flowers:

Angeletti
February 25th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Wow that's horrible, but I'm glad to hear your ok. I hope the club ditches the lit candles...

squiggyflop
February 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM
i know how you feel.. my hair has caught fire before.. and ive had other accidents that caused me to lose 4-6 inches at a time.. its frustrating and can make you angry.. ((HUGS))

Rocket22
Oh my goosh that is so horrible. I'm soooo sorry to hear that but glad you are ok and things really could have been a lot worse. The good thing about hair is it will grow back, if it was you that caught on fire skin never heals the same, so even though this was bad be thankful you are ok. hugs coming your way

chopandchange
.Did you speak to anyone at the club about the candles?

That's a very good point.

Technically, if you feel they are to blame, you could sue them on health and safety grounds for the loss of your hair and the emotional trauma.

(Having naked flames dotted around their premises is not a good idea when there's alcohol consumption going on, in any case)

I would totally sue.

katienoonan
February 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm so so sorry to hear that, but like you said, it's so so lucky it wasn't worse, you could have lost a great deal more and suffered from some severe skin burns...

Just keep eating right, be hungry for happiness! It won't be long until your tum is full of smiles :yumm:

I know it's hard to beleive, but i imagine even after the neatening trim your hair will still look absolutely gorgeous :smooch:

:grouphug:

Anywhere
February 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Oh no. :(
I'm just glad there wasn't any other injuries besides the hair. I imagine it must have been incredibly frightening at the time. :grouphug:

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
:(:(:( I'm sorry. Stupid candles!! Ugh.

I'm glad you're okay.

ladylovecraft
February 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm so sorry, you poor dear. That's a terrifying way to lose so much pretty hair. I hope it grows back quickly for you. : (

Kaijah
February 25th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Oh god, that had to have been a horrible experience. :( I'm glad to hear you weren't seriously injured in any other manner though...

I just want to offer hugs and chocolate (or... I dunno, whatever you like). This stinks, here's to hoping you get back the length you want quickly. <3

vlhxo
February 25th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Ahhh burnt hair! This has happened to me before, although not to the extent that you experienced. Like others have said, you should probably speak to someone at the club and let them know what happened, and possibly take legal action. I'm sure lit candles in a crowded club would be some sort of fire safety issue.

I'm glad you weren't physically injured though! It hurts emotionally, but the hair WILL grow back eventually. I know it's tough now but really all that matters is that you are alright.

GlassWidow
February 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry you lost so much hair, but very glad to hear that none of the rest of you was injured.

jeanniet
February 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I'm so sorry about your hair. It must be really upsetting to have lost so much length. But I'm relieved to hear that you weren't injured. It could have been so much worse. Wishing you fast growth and a return to your former glory!

Shadow Walker
February 25th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad I wasn't hurt too. I know it's just hair and that it'll grow back, but it still makes me sad nonetheless.

Tia2010
February 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Oh no ! :grouphug: I'm so sorry that happened but I'm glad your OK. It's very irresponsible and dangerous for a club to have burning candles around !! I'm really glad you didn't suffer any burns !!

Fairlight63
February 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM
So sorry :grouphug: Glad to hear that you are not hurt! Be thankful that you did not lose a lot more of your hair, waist length is still long. It will grow back fast, before you know it it will be the length that it was before.

spidermom
February 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Terrible! Any long hair lover would be upset. If it's any consolation, I had an accident of my own last week - fell on hard, sharp, eroded limestone and mangled my nose, among other scrapes, gouges, and bruises. Your hair will grow back but my nose will look odd forever.

stkl
February 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
im so sorry! i bet you feel awful :( still it could have been so much worse, and waist lenth is still long. sending hugs your way :)

Intransigentia
February 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM
wow, that's just horrifying. I'm sad for your hair, but so glad that was the only part of you harmed.

enfys
February 25th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'm glad action was taken quickly enough to save more of your hair; it could have been so much worse.

Fire is such a quick, scary and damaging way to lose a lot of hair. I'm sorry. :grouphug:

mrs_coffee
February 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Oh my, that is awful! It's good that you weren't injured, but I totally understand the sadness over losing so much hair.

BrightEyes
February 25th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I'm so sorry you had to loose so much hair, I don't blame you one bit for being upset.:( But I am glad that you weren't hurt any worse.

christine1989
February 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Sue! Sue! SUE! Just kidding, I doubt they are liable but they should at least give you free drinks for a year as compensation for your loss. :beer: Hopefully your hair makes a speedy return to classic!

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Terrible! Any long hair lover would be upset. If it's any consolation, I had an accident of my own last week - fell on hard, sharp, eroded limestone and mangled my nose, among other scrapes, gouges, and bruises. Your hair will grow back but my nose will look odd forever.

Oh no Spidermom:( I`m sorry about your fall. I hope your nose heals properly.

chopandchange
February 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Sue! Sue! SUE! Just kidding, I doubt they are liable

Unless Shadow Walker was mis-using the candles - which we can safely assume he wasn't - then I bet they are liable. He was just accidentally standing too close.

The club will have insurance. Let them pay. At least poor Shadow Walker can buy some new pampering products.

It's amazing what you can sue for these days even if you don't have a legitimate case and it was all your own stupid fault. (A famous case of a lady who put her cat in the microwave to "dry" it and when it blew up she moaned "but it never told me in the instructions that you couldn't use it for pets." Duuuuh).

Since Shadow Walker does have a legitimate case, he should be paid! If a stupid person can sue for blowing up their cat due to stupidity, a non-stupid person can sue for losing some hair due to breach of health and safety regulations. But that's just my opinion.

anthonyswife
February 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I am so sorry, that is a really traumatic experience to have to go through. :( I'm glad the damage (to your hair and to your person in general) wasn't any worse.

Maybe try some castor oil scalp treatments to help with regrowth.

cantom03
February 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Oh, that's awful! Glad you were not more severly hurt.

wavykisses
February 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
OMG I'm so sorry to hear that, thank God you are fine and didn't have any injures.

colette
February 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
thats terrible to hear, i understand you being upset over your hair length loss :( at least your not hurt, and take heart from the fact im still beyond envious that youve got waist length, cos thats my goal x big hugs x

it couldve been a lot worse.

BrightEyes7
February 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
:( so sorry SW! You'll be back at classic in no time!

lapushka
February 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I think you're very lucky that you only lost about a year and a half's worth of growth. The flames could have easily reached all the way up to your scalp. :( Thankfully that didn't happen. Try and find some solace in the fact that, all in all, the length that you lost isn't that much considering what could have happened. I'm sorry this happened to you. Gee, what about safety regulations for a place like that?

cuddledumplin
February 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Aw, I had that happen awhile ago, but I didn't lose very much hair. I'm terribly sorry to hear this. I know your hair is as important to you as mine is to me.

PrincessBob
February 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
:grouphug: I know it is hard. This summer a male friend of mine did lose all of his hair after a machinery accident. You have a loving girlfriend, and you have the support of the long hair community. Your hair will recover and it will be wonderful.

Speedbump
February 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry about this. :grouphug: I'm very glad you're OK otherwise, but it is understandable to be upset. :(

I had a much more minor candle accident a while back (only one lock of hair affected) and I can tell you that if you can cut out the damaged area, your hair *should* basically be normal. At least that was my experience.

Once again, I am so sorry this happened, but am very glad you are otherwise OK. :grouphug:

christine1989
February 25th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Unless Shadow Walker was mis-using the candles - which we can safely assume he wasn't - then I bet they are liable. He was just accidentally standing too close.

The club will have insurance. Let them pay. At least poor Shadow Walker can buy some new pampering products.

It's amazing what you can sue for these days even if you don't have a legitimate case and it was all your own stupid fault. (A famous case of a lady who put her cat in the microwave to "dry" it and when it blew up she moaned "but it never told me in the instructions that you couldn't use it for pets." Duuuuh).

Since Shadow Walker does have a legitimate case, he should be paid! If a stupid person can sue for blowing up their cat due to stupidity, a non-stupid person can sue for losing some hair due to breach of health and safety regulations. But that's just my opinion.

OMG! That's even worse than the lawsuit against McDonalds for having coffee that was too hot. I hope that lady had PETA on her ass!

jackiesjottings
February 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Oh no- I am so sorry :(((

Vorvolaka
February 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Arg, sorry to hear that.

Glad you are otherwise okay though.

bluesnowflake
February 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I'm so sorry :( That must have been terrifying. Thank goodness you're alright, and I hope your hair recovers quickly. :)

jasper
February 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Oh, that's too bad. I am sorry! I am glad you weren't hurt- apart from the pain of losing the hair.

KarpatiiSiv
February 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
What a terrifying thing to have happened. It could have been a lot worse so I'm glad that you are okay.

HuggyBear
February 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Oh no, that's terrible! You would think with that being a public business that lit candles would be a fire safety violation. Glad you are okay!

RitaPG
February 25th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through that. But at the same time, I'm happy you weren't severely hurt. It'll grow back in no time :grouphug:

brickworld13
February 25th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm so sorry about your hair. I hope it grows back quickly and just as lovely as before. When I'm feeling blue I like puppies so I'm sending you a puppy instead of a hug. :puppy: Cheer up soon!

Red_Wednesday
February 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Wow, so sorry this happened:(. It could have been a lot worse though (I know you know), so thankfully you're ok. But I can understand how painful it must be to have lost so much hair. It'll grow back quickly:flower:.

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM
This is exactly why I am afraid of candles !
How shocking and scary, I can't imagine how you felt, but I completely sympathize. I am thankful it was not worse but I am sorry it happened.

RecklessCharlie
February 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Just read this and wanted to say how sorry I am for your (hair) loss! That is really frustrating that you lost all that growth to something you had no control over.
I hope it grows back extra fast! :)

Twarg
February 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM
:( oooh man, I feel terrible for you. *online hugs*

sugarpixie10988
February 25th, 2011, 11:04 PM
That's so scary, I'm sorry about your hair :(. A few years ago I singed some of my hair, but it only burned off about a square inch. It was still really terrifying. I hope your hair has a major growth spurt!

Charlotte
February 26th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Oh I'm so sorry Shadow Walker, :sad: I can only imagine how you must feel and know that I would be dreadfully upset to lose my hair like that.. I'm happy that at least you didn't lose more hair and even more importantly that you yourself were not burnt at all. I wish for your hair to speedily return to hip then classic length! :grouphug: :blossom:

slz
February 26th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Oh wow sorry for the loss, must have been quite traumatic - "it's only hair", but still !! You didn't lose too much though, you'll be back there fast.

mellie
February 26th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry Shadow Walker!!

Yozhik
February 26th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about the accident, Shadow Walker. :(
I would have been terrified. I'm very sorry that so much progress was lost, but it's good to hear that you were wearing that leather jacket!

Speedy growth to you.

Nae
February 26th, 2011, 05:46 AM
First off glad that it didn't get any farther than it did and that you are okay. Secondly, that SUCKS! If it was me I would be wanting to punch something. Grrrrrr! I really feel for you! I hope you hit a growth spurt and catch up faster than a year an a half.

Demetrue
February 26th, 2011, 06:20 AM
That is absolutely horrifying! When I think of how much worse it could have been - you could have been seriously disfigured, or lost your eyesight, or become completely bald and unable to grow the hair back - it is even more horrifying. I am sure you are experiencing some trauma from the experience - it was a really close call.

CarpeDM
February 26th, 2011, 07:05 AM
OMG that is awful, so sorry!! :(

Monsterkitti
February 26th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Oh im so sorry :/ Glad it wasn't any worse though. Sending you wishes for an epic growth spurt to get you back where you were quick!

Drynwhyl
February 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM
oh my, when I read "bad accident", I was scared it was something more serious! Glad you're okay, really sorry about the hair because you have gorgeous hair! Hope it grows back fast!

EdG
February 26th, 2011, 08:55 AM
That's terrible. :(

It's a good thing that you are okay. I think a year and a half will go by in no time. :)
Ed

Shadow Walker
February 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Well, here's a picture of my hair post-accident. It's still kinda long, but it just doesn't feel the same.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4773/133403.jpg

222toogoodforu
February 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
You still have the hair I wish I had, buddy :].

leslissocool
February 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
:( :grouphug: It still looks great though!

RavennaNight
February 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM
:grouphug: That is really a shame. Thank goodness you are alright otherwise though!

Cowgirl16
February 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I am so sorry about your hair:( But I am glad you are physically alright. I'm sure your hair is still magnificent:cool:

Twil
February 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Ouch, bud. :(

Still pretty though

lapushka
February 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
When comparing the post-accident picture to your sig pic... OMG, that's a lot of length! And it's not like you voluntarily cut it off. :( It's sad, but... try not to dwell on it too much. It happened, and there's not much you can do now.

It *will* grow back! :flower:

DavidN
February 28th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I am genuinely sorry, Shadow Walker, to hear about this horrible accident, and about your hair loss. Thank goodness you are safe, though, and you can count on my support as you grow your hair to it former length (and beyond) again.

LotusFIre
February 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM
AWW!! So sorry!! You hair looks super healthy though, it will grow quick! I wouldn't go to THAT club anymore :rolleyes: