PDA

View Full Version : "Super long hair means..."

dreamerx6
February 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I came across an article on msn.com entitled "What Her Hair Says About Her". It says that if a woman is wearing her hair "super long":

"Assuming she’s not wearing extensions, a woman with very long hair is simply afraid of change. She’s a sentimental type who wants to keep what’s been growing for however long. At the same time, long hair is also the look of choice for those glamorous centerfolds ... but there’s a difference between chest-length locks and a Ripley’s exhibit."

How do you LHCers feel about this?

BTW- here (http://glo.msn.com/relationships/what-her-hair-says-about-her-6480.gallery?ocid=fb-share-event#stackState=0__%2Frelationships%2Fwhat-her-hair-says-about-her-6480.gallery%3FphotoId%3D28999)'s the link to the article.

annieangel149
February 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
HMMMMM!! interesting question!!!!!
my kids are getting to a stage where i must stand by and watch to see if they can fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are a lot of changes going on in my life right now!

Siava
February 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think it's rubbish.

AspenSong
February 25th, 2011, 11:57 AM
lol. Of course. I mean, it Couldn't just be that she likes her hair long!!

Ya know, change has nothing to do with my hair being long personally. I change up things our house, my clothing style, etc all the time! I like change. I just like my hair long at the same time. *shrug*
Plus, I do plenty of changes with my hair. I have 4 different Flexi-8's that I use! hehe. ;)

I sort of resent the Ripleys comment. But whatever. Everyone has their own stupid/misinformed/warped opinions. But they're entitled to them. Just like I'm entitled to think they're full of it. :)

emmaya
February 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM
hogwash. that's worse than the ones that claim they can peg your personality by looking at the shape of your worn down lipstick!

Luna12345
February 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
it's totally not true, for me....I'm someone who has mostly had shoulder length hair,...so for me growing my hair longer and going a few years would actually be a change...since I've never done that before.:)
I think a girl who always keeps the same hair cut and always trims it back to the same length sounds more afraid of change or doesn't want a bigger responsibility because more hair = MORE CARE.

wvgemini
February 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wow. You can definately tell that piece of ... ahem ... writing was written by a man. Really?

Without a picture, I couldn’t tell you what this looks like. With a picture, I can tell you it looks boring and old-fashioned, but not in a charming, rustic kind of way. Just plain, probably worn by a homebody. Maybe that’s why it’s called low-key.

That for low-key updo. Which I see all. the. time. I really doubt that one is worn when going to a black-tie-affair, but the need to pick it apart:rolleyes:

And this one for feathered (bed head)

This one reminds me of an edgy rocker, or Meg Ryan. It’s intentionally choppy and haphazard-looking, kind of like a woman who got up late one morning with bedhead and decided to go with it. Not to say it can’t look good, but the style got its name for a reason.
Actually, the writer really didn't have much good to say about any of the styles.

pepperminttea
February 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
For me it more accurately means I'm lazy. :p Longer hair is less maintenance for me, and what time I do spend on it is often something relaxing I can do in front of the TV, rather than straightening, teasing, curling... all that faff. Long hair equals more time in bed each morning. :D

As for change; it does change, it grows! It's just a slower change than something dramatic like a pixie cut.

Juneii
February 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Super short hair means that the woman can't commit.

That is a silly claim. Plus I have friends with short hair who are too scared to grow their hair long. They're too scared for change.

Madora
February 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM
"Super long hair" means laughing all the way to the bank with the money we long hairs save since we are not slaves to visiting salons and shelling out big bucks to keep our hair looking in tip top condition!

EmiliaF
February 25th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Oh my. I don't even know what to say to these things. Why do people always have to qualify styles, looks, hair... ? It's ridiculous. Let's just all enjoy life looking however we want to... and could those stupid magazine-articles stop the evaluating and judging?
I really feel sorry for the people who have to come up with these 'definitions'. What a meaningless job.

Angeletti
February 25th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I think it's rubbish.
My thoughts exactly. Everyone has different reasons for growing long hair, sure some people may be afraid of change, but I find it pathetic that they lump all of us together in that category. I have long hair because I love the way it looks, simple as that.

dreamerx6
February 25th, 2011, 12:24 PM
HAHA. The article was actually written by a man. Also, having long hair does make me feel attractive and "sexy" to an extent (IMO of course) but I resent the centerfold comment.

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
In that article I believe super long hair is around waist or maybe between that and hip. Since they say there is a difference between chest-length locks and a Ripley's exhibit they are implying chest-length is long.

You can't take these things seriously because they exist for a reason. People buy magazines that tell them how to look to achieve x, and they rely on these completely illogical definitions to motivate them. When a customer has shorter hair there is more chance she will experiment or use multiple products to get it to look a certain way. Now these magazines like Glamour can "recommend" a bunch of useless products and haircuts that will always keep you coming back because you'll never be satisfied.

PraiseCheeses
February 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
"Super long hair" means laughing all the way to the bank with the money we long hairs save since we are not slaves to visiting salons and shelling out big bucks to keep our hair looking in tip top condition!

:laugh: So true, Madora!

Also from the article:

French Twist

This is a formal look and a popular choice for brides. If a woman is wearing it on a regular basis, she just might be itching for a ring. Pay attention, gentlemen.WTF, really?? :disgust: :rolleyes:

This is worse than that article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60757) a while back that claimed that women with long hair were afraid...

chopandchange
February 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Actually I think it indicates patience, non-conformity, bravery,and femininity.

BrightEyes7
February 25th, 2011, 01:14 PM

I like this.

I'm not afraid of change in the least bit. I could cut off my hair tomorrow and have no issues, I won't because I like my hair long though. I've had it short and long and obviously everywhere in between, and this is what I like.

And I don't think it makes me a Ripley's exhibit as long as it's growing on my head... not my face! :laugh:

This guy was just finding negative stereotypes for every style.

I mean... French Twist itching for a ring?!? WTH? I'm pretty sure a lot of happily married and happily single women wear french twists on a regular basis... it is like a style staple!

And a low-key updo means your a plain boring homebody... I'm pretty sure that messy/low-key updos are very trendy right now. I see them on the red carpet all the time! And celebrities are far from boring!

ladylovecraft
February 25th, 2011, 01:21 PM

This, very much so.

I have had very short hair (pixie) and I've needed quite a bit of patience to get it as long as it is. Women with longer than average hair are obviously brave enough to take the amount of criticism they're going to get for being different, non-conforming individuals. And long hair is just pretty : D

I hate when magazines in general try to lump ANYONE in a group. There isn't anything you can say about one group of people, because they are INDIVIDUALS. No one can be generalized, not women depending on their hair/clothes/makeup style, not men. But magazines constantly try to push this mentality of standardizing everything down to the point of caricature, it's really irritating.

Maelyssa
February 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'm "sorry" to disagree with that author BUT I think super long hair means the wearer (female or male) is unique, sexy, daring, otherworldly, confident & attractive.

Tia2010
February 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I think it's rubbish.

I agree. :D

enfys
February 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm glad to know that there are only 14 types of women, two of which look the same, so I can instantly decide how I feel about someone without even needing to speak to them.

I makes my life move at a much quicker pace.

I change things up by about 6 inches a year. Tell me, perpetual pixie, how often do you change your up by that much?

Logic, people!

scorpio_rising
February 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Ha! I am exactly the opposite - I am a NOTORIOUS bridge-burner with NO fear of change. :laugh: But really. I am. *chuckle*

What a crock. :laugh: That's just stupid.

marzipanthecat
February 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Oh, I'd LIKE to be a Ripley's feature. One of our cats (Cowcat) was featured in the 2008 Ripley's annual (um, I think it was 2008, I'm too idle to go look for it...). That's as close as I've got to it!

This sort of article is yawn. Just generalisations. Lazy. And inaccurate.

Speedbump
February 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I call :bull::poop:. Longhaired women are not as a rule afraid of change, at least not the ones I've known here or IRL. All you have to do is read the blogs here and you see that longhairs grapple and deal with change about like everyone else does. I for one have cultivated change within myself and have made massive changes in my life in the last 365 days alone.

And one other thing: I think that a lot of short-haired people see long hair as a static, unchanging thing, just hanging from the scalp and "not doing anything," because they have never experienced long hair for themselves. We all know it is dynamic and changes over time in quality and length. It grows. No one would ever dream of saying that fingernails "never change" precisely because they grow. Likewise, it is silly to say long hair means "no change." The experience and effect of it is just a more subtle, less dramatic sort of physical change that takes *time* to unfold. I find the real change with it is very personal and internal and frankly not really for casual public consumption. That does not mean there is nothing to say about it; it just means that forums like LHC, rather than a quick glance on the sidewalk, are better places to showcase the small daily changes and experiences longhairs have. :)

It doesn't surprise me that an article like this would denigrate something that isn't about changing to conform to trends, public opinion, etc. Let's face it, longhairs, in general, generate a tiny fraction of the profits that shorthairs do. That is the real "sin" of truly long hair among the various industries that circle women like vultures, not the issue of "change." I would say the comment was being used as "code word" to try and generate false shame about something that is not shameful to generate profits. :rolleyes:

Just my :twocents:...

SwordWomanRiona
February 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
That's rubbish! I hate the things they write in msn about people's appearance - they are stereotyped, innacurate and really insensitive a lot of times! :mad:

SwordWomanRiona
February 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Oh my. I don't even know what to say to these things. Why do people always have to qualify styles, looks, hair... ? It's ridiculous. Let's just all enjoy life looking however we want to... and could those stupid magazine-articles stop the evaluating and judging?
I really feel sorry for the people who have to come up with these 'definitions'. What a meaningless job.

Hear, hear!!!

annieangel149
February 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I'm "sorry" to disagree with that author BUT I think super long hair means the wearer (female or male) is unique, sexy, daring, otherworldly, confident & attractive.

:cool: sooo kool! and i totally agree with you there :)

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I was once told that girls with really long hair were unconfident and trying to hide behind their hair for some reason...if that were the case, then nobody with super long hair would wear updos or pull it back, right? >>;

I'm pretty confident- my main reason for wanting really long hair is because of all the fun things you can do with it!! Not because I'm afraid to show my face!

Of course, I'm routinely told I should get a short cut because my fine hair would never look good at waist length, even though, in spite of the fact that I'm going through that painful growing-out-layers phase, it looks healthy and beautiful!

People are so rude. >>; Let me wear my hair how I want, please!!

~maborosi~

Ais
February 25th, 2011, 04:07 PM
What utter idiocy. The decision to grow out my hair long was a huge change, I've had it short since I was about 12! If longhaired ladies are so afraid of change, then how do they manage to achieve extremes in length? That's a hell of a change from where anyone starts. IMHO people who keep hair at a medium length for years on end display much more of an aversion to change..

ravenreed
February 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Change is overrated. I am 41. I don't need to worry about changing for anyone. Besides, it is a change for me. I have had shorter than waist length my whole life. TB+ is relatively new territory.

ScarlettAdelle
February 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I have "super long hair" according to their standards and I'm not afraid of change. I recently moved over an hour away from any of my family to live on my own for the first time and was not afraid. Nervous about how things were going to fall together,, sure, but fear wasn't an emotion I experienced.

I always resent that kind of statement because they're usually made by closed minded people who believe their way is the right way and if people don't see things their way, they're wrong.

Just so happens, I don't like how I look with short hair (with short hair my face looks RIDICULOUSLY round and with my upturned rounded features, I can easily enter "Look at me, I'm a pig!" territory, which I'd rather avoid if at all possible), but I like how I look with long hair. I like how it feels and even enjoy the little irritations associated with having my hair long. Actually, I'd like very much to make a change! I'd like to change to EVEN LONGER HAIR!

rena
February 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Whats with people getting down on long hair anyway? Doesn't anyone have anything nice or pleasant to say about people with long beautiful hair outside of TLHC? :(

slz
February 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm searching for something to say other than "duh" or "BS" but I can't seem to find the words.
Well you get the picture :D .

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Whats with people getting down on long hair anyway? Doesn't anyone have anything nice or pleasant to say about people with long beautiful hair outside of TLHC? :(

I've kind of noticed this. People really do hate on long, long hair in general. :(

~maborosi~

EdG
February 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I clicked through the silly article.

It's amazing that the article claims to deduce something about one's personality from one's hairstyle. :rolleyes:

Plus, the author has no idea what super-long hair is. :D
Ed

PrincessBob
February 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I like Ripley's Believe it or not. I also like side shows. I don't mind being a freak to the mundanes, because other freaks love me, so I don't require mundane approval.

krissykins
February 25th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I say, this article says someone didn't do enough research to speak with authority on this topic ;)

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 07:19 PM
That's rubbish! I hate the things they write in msn about people's appearance - they are stereotyped, innacurate and really insensitive a lot of times! :mad:

Yeah whoever writes the entertainment section is horrible.

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Just so happens, I don't like how I look with short hair (with short hair my face looks RIDICULOUSLY round and with my upturned rounded features, I can easily enter "Look at me, I'm a pig!" territory, which I'd rather avoid if at all possible), but I like how I look with long hair. I like how it feels and even enjoy the little irritations associated with having my hair long. Actually, I'd like very much to make a change! I'd like to change to EVEN LONGER HAIR!

I highly doubt that. :rolleyes:
I have a round face too and I try to make it look more oval. Long hair does that for us. Curlies should not have really short hair anyway. We need all the weighing down we can get!

jaine
February 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I couldn't help noticing that she was negative about super-long hair but positive about an afro - but based on the pictures the afro was WAAAAYYYYYY longer than the "super-long hair" in the first picture. Type 4 hair gets massive shrinkage and that afro would be way past BSL if it were straightened.

Anyway, I liked all of the hair pictures ... they all looked great to me! I don't see why the author had to sneak in something negative about almost every haircut.

ScarlettAdelle
February 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have a round face too and I try to make it look more oval. Long hair does that for us. Curlies should not have really short hair anyway. We need all the weighing down we can get!

*Looks at pictures from grade school when her hair was short* yup, I definitely can.... But I wasn't compliment fishing, I was using that as an example of why I don't like short hair on myself. I've ALWAYS thought I looked like a pig with short hair.. Other people seem to feel differently *shrug* I guess it's just one of those things :D

SwordWomanRiona
February 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I've kind of noticed this. People really do hate on long, long hair in general. :(

~maborosi~

That's true, the first thing they always say to you is 'Why don't you cut it?' / 'Aren't you going to cut it?' :confused: :mad:

SwordWomanRiona
February 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I have a round face too and I try to make it look more oval. Long hair does that for us.

Same thing happens to me, my face's square and it looks longer with my long hair (I like my square jaw, but I long for oval features sometimes...). And guess what? I read in msn people with round/square faces shouldn't wear their hair long, because it makes their faces rounder! :confused: More rubbish. And more long-hair hate!

NouvelleNymphe2
February 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I think it's rubbish.

This. To me long hair, if it shows anything about the person sporting it, demonstrates a lot of patience and care. I would also add good taste. :D

perizade
February 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
It wasn't SO long ago that the very thought of a woman cutting her hair was scandalous. Heart breaking. Taboo. Now long hair is considered inappropriate, and I don't understand why. I have been told by family members that it is "unhygienic" (I wash more often than many of them) "inappropriate" (this is their favorite) "lower class" (another favorite) and "only misfits still do the long hair thing." I understand terms like unflattering or unattractive. We all have different tastes. However, I don't understand the vehemence against long-haired people. I especially am bothered when the long hair is cultural and is still responded to with snark.

maborosi
February 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
That's true, the first thing they always say to you is 'Why don't you cut it?' / 'Aren't you going to cut it?' :confused: :mad:

"Why don't you donate it" is another one I've heard toward people...I feel that, while it's a good cause, trying to force someone to donate a very personal part of themselves is extremely rude and pushy. People act like having long hair and not giving it to someone else is selfish. If they're so in love with the idea of donating it, why don't -they- grow their hair out and give it to someone?

~maborosi~

Charlotte:)
February 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have always thought of people with long hair to be very imaginative. I know that's not always the case, but watch any fantasy movie and the women tend to have beautiful long hair.

SwordWomanRiona
February 27th, 2011, 04:51 AM
"Why don't you donate it" is another one I've heard toward people...I feel that, while it's a good cause, trying to force someone to donate a very personal part of themselves is extremely rude and pushy. People act like having long hair and not giving it to someone else is selfish. If they're so in love with the idea of donating it, why don't -they- grow their hair out and give it to someone?

~maborosi~

That's it!

Braidy
February 27th, 2011, 05:41 AM
This is rubbish just as much as analyzing your dreams or your handwriting or something like that. I grow my hair because I want to. Considering that the past five years my hair has never gone below shoulder that IS a change. I never did anything because "that's what your supposed to do" so why would I wear my hair short just because some ridiculous stylists say I should? Besides, come to think about it, not a single hairdresser ever told me I should get a pixie. They all complimented my on my beautiful locks. How 'bout that huh? :D

tigr
February 27th, 2011, 09:13 AM
This article made me think of something I once heard on the radio, "Don't read beauty magazines; they'll make you feel ugly."

Nae
February 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I wish that author would have just listened to the old adage, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." But then again, he wouldn't have had an article.

annieangel149
February 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
super long hair means....... my hair keeps me warm in the winter! ( it covers my scalp and serves as a nice wrap around scarf lol!!!! but is rather hot and sticky at summertime!
BTW peeps! i think this coming summer i need you to stop me cutting my hair! summer is the only time i have ever cut it cos i get sooo hot with longer hair! This summer my hair will feel long for me so i will need your help!!!! *rollseyes*

lapushka
February 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for posting that article. I just had a good laugh. :lol:

nazzooyzo
February 27th, 2011, 05:17 PM
how silly. i hate how some people think they know who you are from looking at your hair length!

dreamerx6
February 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Growing my hair is actually a change for me. I usually just get impatient with it and go for a huge chop to make it easier for myself.

But I guess it also depends on the condition of the hair. If it's extremely damaged I guess you can assume there's an emotional attachment to it.. otherwise, as someone else said, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all!

fairystar32
February 28th, 2011, 12:48 AM
MMMM well I am not sure what is 'classed' as super long but me and my hair gave up the UK and moved to Australia, cannot be less afraid of change hehheee

christine1989
February 28th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Is it just me or does that first picture of Kim Kardashian look like she has her hair dyed black on top and brown underneath?

UltraBella
February 28th, 2011, 12:59 AM

Heehee, not me ! I am completely a slave and love having something new done to my hair. And I pay a pretty penny for it as well. I can't imagine not going to my stylist, no matter how long my hair gets. I have a need for fresh layers, and highlights too !

Twarg
February 28th, 2011, 01:08 AM
If people are going to make broad assumptions, couldn't you also say that if a person changes up their style, they aren't comfortable in who they are and feel the need to re-invent themselves all the time?

Sounds to me like this person loves hair and 'style' and likes to think they can apply it psychologically to people and 'know people' because of it. Seems a bit arrogant and dumb to me.

Oberon88
February 28th, 2011, 01:08 AM
The whole article is ridiculous. Lets all go ahead and make blanket statements based on hair length. :eyeroll: There are never articles like this about men "What does his hair say about him?"

Ishje
February 28th, 2011, 01:12 AM
what I find weird is that in the article is also say's this:

"Just like the curly haired woman, a gal with an Afro is proud of her natural locks and doesn’t seek to change it. It’s a strong, bold ’do, probably worn by a woman with the same qualities."

so why is it different for people with straight long hair?
it is exactly the same, letting your hair grow in a natural way.
or am I seeing this wrong?

this sort of articles usually get me quite agitated.
but I should not forget this is one person sharing his opinion with the world.
he is not important XD
I worry more for the people who have listened to it and cut their locks because of it.
I am sure that happened.

darklion
February 28th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Hmmm. I've found that healthy long hair requires a certain level of commitment. I wear it up to protect the ends, I buy special oils for it to make it healthy, I've raided my pantry for moisture/shiny treatments.
People with shorter hair don't have anything to maintain... if their hair gets unhealthy, they just whack it off. Us super-longs make an effort to prevent that damage. We are protective.
We are also very creative. We have a new hairdo for everyday of the week! Try that pixie cut!
All in all... the article is filled with fallacies. Super-longs are creative, protective and not scared of commitment!!! Yay us!

VitisVinifera
February 28th, 2011, 01:35 AM
what I find weird is that in the article is also say's this:

"Just like the curly haired woman, a gal with an Afro is proud of her natural locks and doesn’t seek to change it. It’s a strong, bold ’do, probably worn by a woman with the same qualities."

so why is it different for people with long hair?
it is exactly the same, letting your hair grow in a natural way.
or am I seeing this wrong?

Nope, that's exactly the way I reacted as well. This guy is a moron. I especially loved the part where he said a woman who wears a french twist often is desperate for a husband. :rolleyes:

Ishje
February 28th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Nope, that's exactly the way I reacted as well. This guy is a moron. I especially loved the part where he said a woman who wears a french twist often is desperate for a husband. :rolleyes:

Just glad I am not the only one XD
I think this dude does not understand woman very well :p

Sylph
February 28th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I came across an article on msn.com entitled "What Her Hair Says About Her". It says that if a woman is wearing her hair "super long":

Oh, I think they were confused and mean to call the article 'Women are things - What she looks like is the most important thing about her'.

Nipushiau
February 28th, 2011, 02:42 AM

That's AWESOME!

And if long hair is soooo boring, how come all of the photos of actresses at the academy awards ceremonies show them with (mostly!) glamorous dresses and (mostly) glamorous LONG hair?

I say if long hair is good enough for Angelina, then it's good enough for me.

Fethenwen
February 28th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Ugh... what.

That whole article must be the stupidest thing I've seen in ages, it's not even funny.

Example from the article:

If she is wearing her hair in a french twist:

"This is a formal look and a popular choice for brides. If a woman is wearing it on a regular basis, she just might be itching for a ring. Pay attention, gentlemen. "

yeah right.

HintOfMint
February 28th, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's nonsense. Just another article to make women feel self conscious, which is an industry in and of itself.

But what do I know? I'm just a sentimental gal, itching for a ring... when I'm not doing p o r n scenes :p

Twarg
March 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
What dude would honestly be reading that anyway? Lol

LotusFIre
March 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
This kind of crap is why I stopped buying fashion magazines. Talk about ignorance.

HarvestMD
March 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
I could "argue" with the article's point by saying that short-haired folks crave conformity. Conformity is driven by a need to be like everyone else (maintain status-quo). Ergo, conformists are afraid of change in ways long-haired folks will never fathom.

But I won't. ;)

Dark Queen
March 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Well, it's not true for me at all. I kind of enjoy making changes to my look and I don't consider myself a "model" type, but having long hair makes me feel attractive and free.

julliams
March 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
They also have an article called "what his lip print says about him" so really - should any of this be taken seriously ??? Sounds like a teen magazine type article to me.

SwordWomanRiona
March 5th, 2011, 06:27 AM
The whole article is ridiculous. Lets all go ahead and make blanket statements based on hair length. :eyeroll: There are never articles like this about men "What does his hair say about him?"

Hey, that's true! :mad:

SwordWomanRiona
March 5th, 2011, 06:28 AM

Yes, what complete rubbish!!

Mitzy
March 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I believe that beauty magazines promote low self esteem.

HeatherJenae
March 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I actually think there's some truth to it. When I had near-waist length, I felt kind of boring and not exciting because people always knew what I would look like so I did cut it short and regretted it because it was not flattering. In other words, I guess I should try updo's and accessories to keep my hair fresh so that I don't get tricked into thinking I'm not interesting.

adiapalic
March 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
It just makes me laugh when fashion writers think they're psychologists.

leandrahime
March 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM
How many times have you seen a woman with shoulder=length hair get complimented versus someone with very long hair like ours? 'Nuff said.

Mesmerise
March 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Oh how idiotic :rolleyes:. Honestly! Don't they realize that many long hairs have also been short hairs, or even have been bald and shaved their head, have experimented heaps of times, and have finally realized that what they REALLY want is long hair. Long hair which takes HEAPS of time, dedication and patience?

Well...obviously they would not realize that! Sure some long hairs have always had long hair, and in a sense I envy them for their consistency...which I've never achieved myself :D.

Anyway, most of the rest of the article was crap too. Plenty of women change their hair all the time, and changing your hair from a bob to a pixie, or growing it long again from a pixie, doesn't actually change your personality at all.

minagica
March 6th, 2011, 09:41 PM
When a customer has shorter hair there is more chance she will experiment or use multiple products to get it to look a certain way. Now these magazines like Glamour can "recommend" a bunch of useless products and haircuts that will always keep you coming back because you'll never be satisfied.

Well said.

And afraid of change? I haven't cut my hair in 5.5 years and it's been growing all along: NEW hair length ALL the time. If by liking change they mean: a) absolutely never being happy and confident about how they look or b) liking taking big steps in an unpremeditated fashion, they can have it. After many many years of growing my hair, I am only now starting to like its length, and it makes me ever so happy ^_^

AnnaJamila
March 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM

Totally this!!!! My husband does a better job looking like a man than I ever could! ;)

TheMechaGinger
March 6th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Wow. You can definately tell that piece of ... ahem ... writing was written by a man. Really?

That for low-key updo. Which I see all. the. time. I really doubt that one is worn when going to a black-tie-affair, but the need to pick it apart:rolleyes:

And this one for feathered (bed head)

Actually, the writer really didn't have much good to say about any of the styles.

I noticed the same thing! I glanced through them and they all seemed to be pretty negative, aside from the one about the blowout which is funny because that's pretty damaging to hair. I can't help but notice things like that now that I've been on LHC for a while haha

Dreams_in_Pink
March 7th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Super long hair means freedom. Free from needing a salon to look good. :) End of question LOL

baaaad_kitty
March 7th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Super long hair means..

-less time spent in the salons = more savings
-lots of styles that you can do with your hair
-that the person who has long hair knows how to care for it

Katurday
March 7th, 2011, 08:48 AM
*eyeroll* As someone with uber short hair, I'm loving the tone of -we are OH so more free, beautiful, feminine etc-. Long hair doesn't mean any more than my short hair does. Its short and it looks good. Most women look beautiful with long hair. These articles are crap. Some people commit to tailbone, some people commit to pixie, others constantly grow and others constantly cut. I've known girls with waist length hair that go from platinum to black to back again in 2 days, and then there's me, constantly same hair, constantly black and oiled and shiny and everything else longhaireds do. To contrast, these girls follow trends (therefore stay the same) to a T, and I vary my clothing like crazy in both attire and the genre of attire.

Lets call a cigar a cigar and quit smoking.

Katurday
March 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Totally this!!!! My husband does a better job looking like a man than I ever could! ;)
I assure you, AnnaJamila, I am extremely feminine. Furthermore my femininity and YOURS are not limited to our hair. I happen to believe masculinity and femininity is simply the security in our own skin that makes us radiate confidence. Men with long hair can be masculaine, and I assure you that if you ask my DBF, women with short hair can be very feminine. ;)

Fufu
March 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM
super long hair means

- having different hairstyles every day :)

pepperminttea
March 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
This article made me think of something I once heard on the radio, "Don't read beauty magazines; they'll make you feel ugly."

Sounds like The Sunscreen Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ). :D

I believe that beauty magazines promote low self esteem.

Agreed. It's no coincidence that right next to the articles they have big, glossy cosmetic ads offering to "fix" whatever is different about you. Making people feel bad about themselves is quite the money spinner.

HeatherG
March 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM
this is so ridiculous, and obviously written by a man. Long hair does not mean you're afraid of change, especially if you change your hair color like I do. It just mean you love long hair, it's an accomplishment to have.

jojo
March 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
*tut* to say longhair is so "boring" and makes a woman "simply afraid of change" isn't it funny how its such a talked about topic? For me I really don't give a darn what people think and to me *shock horror* I don't want to conform what society regards as "normal". I don't want short spikey or poodle hair.

Hair is personal and is nobody's business how long or short you have it. I wouldn't dream of saying to a short haired lady " you need to grow your hair long!" .

Each to their own!

jojo
March 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
*eyeroll* As someone with uber short hair, I'm loving the tone of -we are OH so more free, beautiful, feminine etc-. Long hair doesn't mean any more than my short hair does. Its short and it looks good. Most women look beautiful with long hair. These articles are crap. Some people commit to tailbone, some people commit to pixie, others constantly grow and others constantly cut. I've known girls with waist length hair that go from platinum to black to back again in 2 days, and then there's me, constantly same hair, constantly black and oiled and shiny and everything else longhaireds do. To contrast, these girls follow trends (therefore stay the same) to a T, and I vary my clothing like crazy in both attire and the genre of attire.

Lets call a cigar a cigar and quit smoking. what an excellent post, wish we had a like button!:)

PraiseCheeses
March 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Actually, there is. (http://glo.msn.com/relationships/all.relationships#stackState=0__%2Frelationships%2 Fwhat-his-facial-hair-says-about-him-5099.gallery) :)

Judge away, everyone! Let's reduce the complexity of human character into easily divisible categories indicated by personal grooming choices! :p

Lianna
March 8th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I could "argue" with the article's point by saying that short-haired folks crave conformity. Conformity is driven by a need to be like everyone else (maintain status-quo). Ergo, conformists are afraid of change in ways long-haired folks will never fathom.

But I won't. ;)

Where I live, the short haired gals are the non-conformists (chin and above). Most women have long hair, the average being waist. Unless it's really long hair, let's say classic and beyond.

But I don't think most people are paying attention to such things.

Signe
March 19th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Ha! Too true! The amount it used to cost me for trims and highlights and products was just silly. Now I'm WO, got a good pair of scissors for way less than the cost of a haircut, and put my hair up with the free chopsticks I get from the takeout :D

AAAAAAND my hair has never looked in more tip-top condition....woooohooooo LHC!!!!

BranwenWolf
March 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM
You know, the long hair gets a LOT of attention from menfolk. Gosh, I don't know why since I'm so afraid of change...:rolleyes: