PDA

View Full Version : Help for damaged ends!

melrose1985
June 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first post since have the site back up. A while back I had post about me damaged hair and whether I should just cut it off or baby it and let it grow till it got to a length that I was cool with cutting some off. My hair has been thinned and razored because I have such thick hair. So from my chin down (my hair is about 3 inches pass my shoulders) is all feathery wispy hair. Basically I’m not going to cut because the shorter my hair is the more I feel like I have to do to it so it looks okay which I end up damaging it with blow dryer and irons. Now what I’m doing is – vitamin E oil in my hair at night- wash and condish in the morning, ONLY blow dry my bangs nothing else, and I use some organix coconut split ends mender.

What else can I do to get the ends of my hair in better shape for now? The ends look all frizzy and dry. I know I can’t fix it but I want to help until it gets to were I feel okay about cutting a little off. I want my ends to look a little more silky and not so frizzy and crazy looking. I have access to the stores that sell salon products because my mom has her hair dressing license (she doesn’t do hair dressing though), so I can get stuff pretty cheap, or what kinds of oils work best and were to get them. As for oils I do think the E oil is helping but is there something else which would work better?

Any Advice is good, thanks for the help!

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
My dry ends cure

1. Braid hair and tie off leaving 3 inches at the tassle.
2. Pour distilled water over the tassle wetting thoroughly.
3. (optional, use if you suspect buildup) Using a sulfate, clarifying shampoo or baking soda mixed with shampoo add to tassle and massage thoroughly.
4. Rinse VERY thoroughly.
5. Add as much as you want of conditioner (I used Beauty without cruelty leave-in) use one that is good for leaving in.
6. Press out excess drips with fingers gently.
7. Add thorough soaking of whatever oil your hair likes (I used coconut oil)
8. Press out drips again gently with fingers.
9. Put in an updo that covers the ends and leave for a day or however long you can.
10. Take down and VOILA beautiful, soft, moisturized ends!!!(If still damp just let dry by itself)

You can do however many inches of hair you want with this. I did three because that was the worst part for me. To me coconut oil is the best oil but others like other ones. I haven't heard of many using Vitamin E oil with good results.

melrose1985
June 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Thank you, But where can i buy the coconut oil? a store or online? i would rather a store if i could.

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Thank you, But where can i buy the coconut oil? a store or online? i would rather a store if i could.

They should have it at your local health food store either in the cooking section or skin care section. Just make sure you get the organic, pure 100%, unrefined, virgin. It will cost over $10 but it will last a long time. You have to be careful how much you use at first, Jjst a pinch and you can always add more. You can get refined, it just won't smell. Either is fine. I think even some grocery stores carry it in the cooking section.

Nightshade
June 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
My damaged ends never responded well to oil, but I've had great success with Fox's shea leave in with coconut oil. This is from my journal:

Leave-Ins: After a shower I use Fox's Shea Butter leave in, which is 1 part coconut oil, 2 parts conditioner, and 2 parts shea. I use Frank & Myrrh Shea (http://store.africansheabuttercompany.com/sheabutterjars.html) because I love the smell, and my Jason Henna-Hi Lights conditioner. To make it I add the shea to a glass bowl in the sink, surrounding it with hot hot water and mash with a spatula until it's melted, replenishing the hot water as often as necessary to keep the glass hot. Then I add in the coconut oil (it has a lower melting point, so it blends into the shea quickly. Then I take out the bowl, dry it off and add the conditioner and blend with a hand mixer. To make it set faster and keep it from getting grainy I put it in the freezer for a minute or two, take it out and hit it with the hand mixer again. Repeat until it's the consistency of frosting and well blended. Once its done I transfer it into a glass jar and put it in the bathroom. To apply I scrape up about two peas worth and smooth it between my palms, then start at the ends, smoothing them, working higher up as there is less and less shea on my hands.

Shea will help the cuticle of the hair lay down, the conditioner imparts moisture, and the coconut oil helps prevent protein loss.

Damp bunning and wearing hair up often helped me too. The thing that helped the the most, though, was monthly dustings/micro-trims. This kept the worst of the splits and damage off the ends, so they tangled less and therefore broke less. You gain length slower, but in my case my hair was improving, and I found my hair seemed to grow faster as the trimming kept my hair from breaking off as fast.