PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching advice please

strewth
February 25th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hi all,

I recently went from years of getting foil highlights to getting "all over bleach" basically painted on my hair and scalp. (BTW All done in a salon - NEVER a 'home job'!)

I loved the result as I am naturally very fair and the colour was great for the summer (in Australia).

However, I would like to go back to the foils as they are more subtle and natural. Also I understand all over bleaching is much harsher on one's hair than foils. Is that correct? Luckily my hair is in excellent condition now but I want to keep it that way but I still need to highlight it or else I look really washed out. So I have a bit of a dilemma.

My question is how do I go back to foils? My first thought would be to get my hair dyed as close to my natural colour as possible and get the foils put over that. Is that right?

Any advice would be really great.
Cheers xx

Nymph
February 25th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I think this might be a question you need to take to the hair salon. Bleached hair is really damaged hair in general, and while hair might be able to stand one bleach, but if you go re-color and re-lighten strands of it, it's going to suffer no matter what.

Wouldn't you be able to get highlights on your non-damaged hair as some sort of transitioning thing?
And be sure to pamper the bleached hair as well...

Valdeon
February 25th, 2011, 05:03 AM
First, if you are fair haired, you should be able to avoid the bleach all together, any blondish hair dye will do.

Second, if you want to return to highlights, just ask your hair dresser for downlights. That means that they dye some parts of your hair the color close to your au natural, so it will look like usual highlighting. And when your roots grow out you will just highlight them only.

Hope that helps.

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I second the suggestion of asking for "lowlights" in your natural shade. This will give some depth and variation to your hair and remove any line of demarcation from having all over bleach. As your roots grow in you can just foil those lighter.

I would just like to point out that my hair is bleached, dyed and highlighted and is very healthy.