PDA

View Full Version : Do a lot of guys love ponytails?

goldcopperbrown
February 25th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure why this is. I've been with the same guy for well over a year. He LOVES when I wear ponytails. As a matter of fact he prefers it to when my hair is down, curled, styled, whatever. I tried putting it half back to see if he liked that more--nope, ponytail. He likes when I wear ponytails, even to formal events where it's not that appropriate so I've learned to get creative with fancier pony tails. I have no idea why he likes it, but i have fine hair, so I can't complain. Anyone else experienced this? He says it's very European and modely as a style.

bte
February 25th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Well, as a guy myself, I hope I'm ideally qualified to answer!

I find ponytails attractive for a number of reasons - they show all of the face like a formal style, but they also show (almost) all of the length, and also the texture of the hair. Unlike loose hair, which can become untidy in the wind, a ponytail almost always looks neat and tidy.

It is also quite provocative in the way it swings as you move, saying - look, my hair hasn't just got long by accident, I'm making the choice to growing it out. It's also a carefree young style which says -" look, I can do anything"!

As a guy, who has worn a ponytail for at least part of every day for over 16 years, I'd also be interested in knowing whether those of you who like ponytails on guys like them for the same reasons as guys like ponytails on women or if there's a difference.

brickworld13
February 25th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I once dated a guy who liked my hair in a pony tail because he liked looking at my neck and shoulders. I have little whispy face framing hairs that never really seem to grow out much that help to soften the edges of my face with a pony tail. My fiancée happens to hate it when I wear my hair up, so it really depends on the person you ask.

Sylph
February 25th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I remember listening to a 'Stuff Mom never told you' podcast where they were talking about the ponytail. It's was intimated that its a rather flirtatious style as it not only shows off the neck/shoulders but also it moves is a very eye catching way, bobbing about with the wearers movements. I wish I could find some links to the podcast as it was really interesting.

My husband likes my hair in a ponytail more than a braid, but less than when I have it down.

Yozhik
February 25th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Well, I think DBF likes my hair in a ponytail, but I've noticed that high or medium ones (which are what I prefer) don't work that well on my anymore now that my hair's gotten longer. :( The weight seems to pull them down and loose. Just something to consider, if you're planning to grow you hair out to 30 inches. :flower:

As a girl, though, I do like the way ponytails look on other girls. :)

Vorvolaka
February 25th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I like ponytails. My ex was mad for them, he just loved them.

I like ponytails on guys but that's because I like long hair on guys!

JulietCapulet
February 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I have read that they like them.

elbow chic
February 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
when I was in junior high I was green with envy over a classmate's swingy ponytail. Her hair was probably waist length and she always wore it in this thick, high pony... sigh.

She wasn't conventionally pretty but the pony helped make her very striking.

BabyRay33
February 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
[quote=brickworld13;1493776]I once dated a guy who liked my hair in a pony tail because he liked looking at my neck and shoulders. quote]

My boyfriend would definitely agree with this...he says he likes my neck...so thats why he likes the ponytail. :crush:

Copasetic
February 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Guys I have dated are always the opposite. They like hair loose and hate ponytails.

Anywhere
February 25th, 2011, 10:10 AM
One guy I know sees ponytails as a "chav" thing and thinks they're ridiculous. Most guys I know like girls to wear their hair down. I've never known any guys that specifically like ponytails, but then again I don't know many guys.

annieangel149
February 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM
lol! i think ponytails are boring but thats only because i can do nothing much else with my hair! it wont fit into many other updo's cos its too short!!! :( hubby prefers my hair free of clips and bands!!

PrincessTieflin
February 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
MY DH loves pony tails.. braided rope braids curly what have you.. I wear them rarely since anything that requires a pony tail base/band gives me a migraine.. Super sensitive scalp I guess.

ladylovecraft
February 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Guys I have dated are always the opposite. They like hair loose and hate ponytails.

This. I think because I date almost exclusively long-haired boys, ponytails are sort of blah to them. Though some guys I know do appreciate an intricate, or at least interesting, bun/half-up/something or other.

anodyne_ame
February 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I once dated a guy who liked my hair in a pony tail because he liked looking at my neck and shoulders.

Mostly this. Especially because the neck is exposed. I've even had girls comment that they prefer the ponytail look on me. My last boyfriend liked my hair best when it was down though.

I like to wear my hair in a high ponytail to show off my neck :P and because it's easy and simple. Most long-haired guys I know and have known always wear their hair in a pony. It's nice and I like it, but I really like other styles too. It's not that usual to see other-than-pony styles around where I live, so anything outside the ordinary always catches the eye.

rockstarmommy
February 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM
qwertyuiop

McFearless
February 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm a girl and I love a high pony. Its like an instant facelift. I like hair back in general because my hair is crazy. With a ponytail I can have my hair out but off my face.

I haven't gotten any comments on the style but I have heard the "i like a seeing a girls neck"....Should I blame Twilight for this?

boomygrrl
February 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I've heard guys say they like women with ponytails and baseball caps...with the ponytail going through the loop part in the back of the hat. It looks college school girl-like.
I dunno.

enfys
February 25th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Hah, you must have dated my DH then :lol: Ponytails don't ignite him.

I assume compared to braids and buns he thinks they're lazy. His lifelong love affair with Princess Leia may have swayed this...Also, he grew up living with his cousin who I have never seen wear more than a pnytail so maybe he was saturated with them before he met me?

I have had most comments off men for my braided styles, both men I haven't known and those I have been friends with for years.

I think curly, 50s style ponytails are quite lovely, but aren't ever gonna be on my head.

Luna12345
February 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well, as a guy myself, I hope I'm ideally qualified to answer!

I find ponytails attractive for a number of reasons - they show all of the face like a formal style, but they also show (almost) all of the length, and also the texture of the hair. Unlike loose hair, which can become untidy in the wind, a ponytail almost always looks neat and tidy.

It is also quite provocative in the way it swings as you move, saying - look, my hair hasn't just got long by accident, I'm making the choice to growing it out. It's also a carefree young style which says -" look, I can do anything"!

As a guy, who has worn a ponytail for at least part of every day for over 16 years, I'd also be interested in knowing whether those of you who like ponytails on guys like them for the same reasons as guys like ponytails on women or if there's a difference.

I like pony tails on guys, I actually think long hair looks really good on slim guys especially . I think it's nicer in a pony tail because it looks neater .:)

anthonyswife
February 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
My husband doesn't really have a preference either way about ponytails (when I asked him he said "it depends on the person"). He actually likes my hair in two braids best, which is good because I hate ponytails, lol. I've never found ponytails to be attractive on women, personally.

Luna12345
February 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM
My boyfriend is the complete opposite of yours, He doesn't like when i wear my hair in a pony tail, He always tells me to wear it down but he doesn't like when I have bangs because he thinks they hide my face.
I guess everyone is diffirent.

vanillabones
February 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I am with Luna- my DBF prefers my hair down. I think this is mostly because he hates anything in my hair especially if we're laying down together he'll take whatever is in my hair/holding it up right off because it hurts his arm or he can't touch my head enough? I am not sure. Of course I haven't been able to put all my hair in a ponytail for a number of years but even so wearing my hair up with even a clip drives him nuts :P

patienceneeded
February 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
DH loves ponytails! Well, not pigtails...a single ponytail. I asked him in college why he liked a ponytail so much. He told me he liked it because it was not fussy. It meant the girl was easy-going and ready for an adventure. It's athletic-looking and therefore means the girl is willing to be active. I think he likes it because it is low-maintenance and the hair is still touchable/visable. He still prefers it to any other hairstyle. Plus, there are no "weapons" to injure him accidentally!