PDA

View Full Version : Hair care on a boat ???!! Advice needed please.

UltraBella
February 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Oh boy. I have a trip coming up and I have no idea what to take hair wise or how to deal with my hair while I am there.

(My dream come true is this trip !!!!!!!! I hope my hair survives it !)

I am going to be on a catamaran in the Bahamas for 14 days, snorkeling and exploring. Lots of salt water in my hair ! And bathing is done with a 2gallon bucket and a big sponge. How will I wash all my hair ? How will I rinse all my hair with such a small amount of water compared to what I am used to ???? The fresh water tank must be used sparingly so it lasts.
When snorkeling I usually just french braid my hair but it gets tangled once in a while in the clip that connects the snorkel to my mask strap. Any other suggestions for wearing my hair in the water ?

How will I protect my hair from sun and salt water and yet minimally take care of it and pack lightly ???!?!?!?!?!

And suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated. :flower:

Madora
February 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM
A white cotton scarf to protect your head from the sun. You sure don't want a sunburned scalp!

kwaniesiam
February 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Would oiling and lots of small braids kept in for a long time work for you? Keep your scalp covered with a scarf during the day to prevent sunburn. That way you wouldn't have to wash your hair much, if at all depending on how well they stayed in. You could also use a swim cap to keep the exposure to the salt water at a minimum.

ibleedlipstick
February 24th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I would oil it, and let it go. Keep it in a protective style as much as possible, make sure that you don't get your scalp sunburnt, and enjoy yourself.

It is your dream trip! Enjoy it!

UltraBella
February 24th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Would oiling and lots of small braids kept in for a long time work for you? Keep your scalp covered with a scarf during the day to prevent sunburn. That way you wouldn't have to wash your hair much, if at all depending on how well they stayed in. You could also use a swim cap to keep the exposure to the salt water at a minimum.

I have the Speedo long hair swim cap and my hair does not fit under it. I have tried everything. Tightly bunning, braiding, clipping, there is just no way. Plus my head is big to begin with, lol ! My daughter is a competitive swimmer and a swim cap has never kept her hair dry, just contained.

I have never had lots of small braids before. Might be interesting ! Wonder if all my layers would make it more difficult ......

pepperminttea
February 24th, 2011, 10:37 PM

Agreed; I did something similar for three and a half weeks last summer. During that time they got drenched with sea water a few times, just rinsed out with fresh water afterwards; no product whatsoever (mostly because I forgot my toiletries bag... shh :p ). It's quite labour-intensive to put them in (and more so to take them out), but in between the care is really easy, you can braid them back, and you can enjoy that feeling of having hair on your back without worrying about detangling before bed. :) It took a few washes (and a couple of deep conditioning treatments) to get my hair back to normal afterwards, and a small trim helped, but besides that, no problems.

mustpannkook
February 24th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Lucky you! I wish I could go there... Maybe you could go shopping and ask for men's swimming cap. I bet they are bigger and probably your hair will fit under it, too.

Alvrodul
February 24th, 2011, 11:58 PM
*happily contemplates a Christmas holiday a few years back which was spent on a boat sailing among the Whitsunday Islands*
First, braids are your friends. If your hair is in braids, you can - and hopefully will - forget about them. And when the hair is braided, it doesn't need to be combed or otherwise messed with. And see if you can find a hat or something to plop onto your head as much as possible.
Also, forget about neatness - and I hope you are not the sort that is dependent on washing her hair daily? When you are on a boat, there is a lot of water available - all around it, and all full of salt. Fresh water tends to be reserved for drinking, and at most a very skimpy rinse - of your body only. Real washing and showering will happen ashore.
That holiday was in my pre-LHC days - nowadays I would pack a big jar of coconut oil for my hair. Definitely look into something protective for your hair.
There is likely to be some damage to your hair from the sun and salt water, but that is not a reason to forego the real pleasures of this sort of holiday. The sun and the sea are there to be enjoyed, after all! You can promise your hair some long SMT soaks when you get home. ;)
And pack a lot of SPF 30+ sunscreen, and apply often.

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all the great replies !

I guess I should add that I am not new to adventures involving tropical locations, I have taken one yearly for the last 4 years. I have managed so far to not get sunburnt, I wear a long sleeved surfing rash guard with built in SPF while snorkeling or diving, so I only have to worry about my face, legs, hands and feet. It is one of my best purchases ever ! I usually spend hours in the water and, like I stated before, keep my hair french braided.
The boat is the part that throws me a bit off. I have only spend a day on a boat before, not two full weeks. We will probably only go ashore twice during that time. (To a real harbor or marina. We will be exploring the Exumas and going ashore the many uninhabited islands, but that means no ammenities obviously) I am used to diving or snorkeling all day and then going back to a hotel room and jumping in a shower. My hair has always been rinsed thoroughly after gettting out of the ocean and washed and conditioned once back at the hotel. My hair has looked great after each vacation and I am just wondering if this one will take it's toll.

I should add that this is a nice boat and there is fresh water for drinking, cooking with, washing dishes and clothes, etc. Hair is just probably not a priority. Except to me ;)

RancheroTheBee
February 25th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I think I remember a member here saying she was protecting her hair from the heat by applying a lot of shea butter and then putting it in braid.

I think maybe I misunderstood you, but do you mean to say you won't really have shampoo on this trip? Maybe that'll help protect it from saltwater and so forth.

(I come from a frozen tundra, so I feel like I'm not being a huge help right now. :p)

milagro
February 25th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I second protecting your hair from sun damage, it's thrice as strong when you're on water. I think covering it with scarf or hat is the best option. You may also oil it.
And rinse hair thoroughly with plain water every time after swimming . HTH
Enjoy your trip! :)

Ishje
February 25th, 2011, 12:49 AM
are you going to be on the boat all the time?
is there no chance you can go on shore once or twice to wash your hair?
some harbors have a shower facility.

I live close to the beach, and whenever I go there my hair is salty when I get back.
after that I wash, so I don't know what the effects of salt are when hair is not washed for a while.
I do agree with the others, oiling and braiding would probably help a great deal.

milagro
February 25th, 2011, 12:59 AM
^ I don't know the type of catamaran UltraBella is going to sail but the only boat I spent a week onboard had this little shower thing above the toilet :) You got limited amount of water at a time but tolerably enough to rinse salt out of hair. And it had to go to haven every three days for fuel and water supply.

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I think I remember a member here saying she was protecting her hair from the heat by applying a lot of shea butter and then putting it in braid.

I think maybe I misunderstood you, but do you mean to say you won't really have shampoo on this trip? Maybe that'll help protect it from saltwater and so forth.

(I come from a frozen tundra, so I feel like I'm not being a huge help right now. :p)

I'll have shampoo, just limited fresh water. The boat I am learning to sail will be in very remote areas, far from a Marina to refill the fresh water tank, so it has to be conserved. We will probably make it back to civilization two times during the 14 days. And trust me, any amenities available during those two days will be fully taken advantage of :)

ericthegreat
February 25th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I agree with the lots of little braids all over your head suggestion. You don't have to (AND SHOULDN'T!) worry about making them too neat. This is a vacation after all, its a time for you to relax! :p This is the best time for benign neglected laziness. You could make maybe around 30 or so braids (don't make them too thin, or you'll have to make even more braids), tie them off with safe elastics, and then slather on coconut oil or any other oil of your choice onto them before jumping into the sea. Just keep your hair in those braids for the duration of your vacation (I'm sure they would look wonderful when you take pics and they would fit in even more with the whole tropical island theme!) and since fresh water is going to be limited on the boat, only rinse the braids say every 4 days or so. Enjoy your upcoming vacation!

frizzinator
February 25th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I've never had a headful of little braids, but I used to vacation on exotic beaches every year, and was always impressed by the number of folks wearing those tight little braids. They don't take the braids out and the braids seem to remain good looking throughout the duration of the vacation.

It does look like these folks have oiled the braids, but I think oiling might increase my need to scratch my head. I think rinsing the braids with water is the only thing necessary to remove the salt. But if the braids have been oiled, it seems like salt (and who knows what else) might continue to cling to the oil after rinsing.

I think I would just submerge the braids in the water bucket to rinse while on the boat.

But it does seem like it would be impossible to scratch your head with those braids. I'm certain that I would need to scratch my head, oiled braids or not oiled. Maybe the point of a thin hair stick would be a good way to scratch the scalp.

Aurantia
February 25th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Based on the experiences of friends who have taken diving trips in fresh-water scarce areas, little braids are the way to go. I have used the same trick for 14 day trips in the desert where the only water available was for drinking, washing dishes and the occasional sponge bath. You'll be amazed at how well tiny braids stay, especially with a good oiling.

Maybe you could enlist one or several of your stylists to braid up your hair for you before you leave? Whatever you do I hope you share some of your travel photos with us! :flower:

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I don't leave until April 16th, so I have plenty of time to do a trial run and see what I think of small braids. I think I will probably look rediculous ! Heeheeee, that won't stop me :)
Now, who volunteers to start braiding ?!?????

Intransigentia
February 25th, 2011, 11:24 AM
If you have some time once you get to the Bahamas, but before you get on the boat, I bet you'll be able to find local people who sell braiding services. I know when I've been on tropical vacations I've gotten multiple vendors wanting to braid my hair every time I've stuck my head outdoors.

Maelyssa
February 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Might I suggest you get one of this huge, value sized bottles of Suave or Herbal Essences or whatever you prefer & after you get out of the water slather a bunch on your hair & keep it up in a bun until those two chances you get to use a shower. It isn't a perfect method but it should help to put moisture back on your scalp & hair after each time you're in the ocean...and I mean A LOT of conditioner when you get out. It's definitely helped me & my girls after extended days which turn into nights playing at the beach.

spidermom
February 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm on Bonaire (Caribbean) right now, and my hair is thriving with the following routine:
1) wet hair
2) generously apply sweet almond oil
3) generously apply CHI coney serum
4) twin dutch or french braids directed straight back (not off to the side above the ear)

Leave braided until you get a chance to wash/rinse it with fresh water.

summerjade
February 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I think oiling in the morning followed by french braiding, then after getting back to the boat oiling again (of course wash out the salt if possible, but if not possible) oil and braid until next day and repeat the process. Then wash when ashore. Have fun for all your friends here!! And enjoy such a great opportunity!!!

bluesnowflake
February 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I would oil and then french braid and take it out as little as possible- if you can stretch washing that's great, you can just rinse out the salt water a little. Club soda is supposed to be great for chloriney water, maybe the same for salt water? Also, hats, hats, hats! Sunburned scalps are miserable. Have fun on your cruise! I'm jealous... here we'll be living with 2 more months of snow and cold.

boudica
February 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Look for spray with 'parsol' in it. I used to work on a schooner, and this stuff was magic. It's sunscreen from Australia, and you can spray it on your part line so you don't get burnt. Also good for people with thinning hair.

We were docked in New Bedford harbor and I met a Portuguese captain who was really going for the pirate thing and actually was using tar in his hair. Had a big ring in his ear. Character!

Do not use tar.

Often I would do the french braid, but I understand the tangling too. It might be worthwhile to do the heidi thing and put two braids up. I'm just thinking to part the hair nearest the apparatus, so your hair is as far away as possible.

I'd also have a big hat with a chinstrap - straps around my sunglasses too. Both have blown off more times than I can count.

Consider just oiling and not washing.

Depending on the size of your boat, you can build an apparatus for gray water that will evaporate and distill water to the center. It's called a solar still. It doesn't make the best drinking water, but you'd be able to survive on it if the world ended, and certainly wash your hair.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6973262_filter-sea-water.html

Here's a commercial version of it: http://www.landfallnavigation.com/memss.html

There are also hand-pumped desalinators.

If you put some thought into it you can make one of the solar stills to take with you. The problem with the diy link above is that the boat is moving, so you need something clever to hold the water.

The most important thing is protecting the hair and keeping it oiled. It's a good time to experiment with not washing with shampoo and using different oils to clean with. You'll want to be enjoying your experience, not worrying about your hair.

You could do the bo derek thing and not think about it for the entire time you're gone.

boudica
February 25th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Here's another solar still that's much less expensive:

http://www.thewatercone.com/Purchase.html

UltraBella
February 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Great replies and lots of info, thanks everyone !!!!!!!!!
So, I am contemplating the braids, I will buy a hat, I will take lots of oil with me, but does anyone have any scarf suggestions ? My head always gets so hot in a hat with all this hair under it. I find it to be pretty uncomfortable. I am absolutely scarf challenged. I do not own one, I do not know how to wear one, I wouldn't even know what to look for to go purchase one. Help ?

Tia2010
February 25th, 2011, 09:19 PM
You could do a lightweight Shemagh scarf ( like the Military wear).Its very lightweight and it is bigger than most scarves I find ( 42X42) so you should be able to get all your hair under it. I wrap mine 'bandana style' and it covers all my hair in the back (you have alot more hair than I do but I think it would still cover most of yours :))

ETA : I order mine online but a Military surplus store may have them in.

sakuraemily
February 25th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Sesame oil has a bit of SPF, I've heard. I usually bathe with bucket water so I suggest you take a mug with you and use it to pour the water on your head.

julliams
February 26th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I find saltwater very drying for my hair. If you can only rinse a part of it due to water restrictions, I would concentrate on rinsing out the ends. You could also put the water in an ice cream bucket and just put as much of your hair in there as you can and swish it around. That should dilute the salt a little at least. Slathering in oil does sound like a good idea but with no hot water to shower with, it's going to be pretty oily by the end of two weeks.

UltraBella
February 26th, 2011, 10:36 PM
So, I borrowed a scarf from one of the gals at the salon and tried to practice with it.
FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone know of a scarf tutorial maybe ? Please ??

Islandgrrl
February 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
www.tznius.com has some scarf tying tutorials.

My personal preference is to use a buff. They don't come untied and they are pretty versatile. You can wear a buff like a scarf, a headband or even a scrunchie.

Kaeita
February 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM
You've had some good suggestions for after being in the water, but you did mention that the snorkle clip gets caught in your hair. I've only been snorkling a couple of times, so don't know much about the mechanics of the equipment, but is it possible to wrap the clip and where it all comes together, with a small gauze bandage or something? We have little ones here that are about an inch wide, and very stretchy, so it would easily conform to the weird shapes of the join. I don't know if it's practical though, if you need to move the snorkle at all while in the water. Not much good if your hair protection causes you to drown! Otherwise, the swim cap just over your head, leaving the braids free, might keep it safe from the strap and clips.

Hope you enjoy your holiday, it sounds wonderful!

UltraBella
February 27th, 2011, 12:51 AM
www.tznius.com has some scarf tying tutorials.

My personal preference is to use a buff. They don't come untied and they are pretty versatile. You can wear a buff like a scarf, a headband or even a scrunchie.

Thank you for the link ! I will admit to being unsure what a buff is, off to google it.....

You've had some good suggestions for after being in the water, but you did mention that the snorkle clip gets caught in your hair. I've only been snorkling a couple of times, so don't know much about the mechanics of the equipment, but is it possible to wrap the clip and where it all comes together, with a small gauze bandage or something? We have little ones here that are about an inch wide, and very stretchy, so it would easily conform to the weird shapes of the join. I don't know if it's practical though, if you need to move the snorkle at all while in the water. Not much good if your hair protection causes you to drown! Otherwise, the swim cap just over your head, leaving the braids free, might keep it safe from the strap and clips.

Hope you enjoy your holiday, it sounds wonderful!

I am not sure if it is possible to wrap the clip or not, I might have to try it. You do have to adjust the snorkel sometimes, but not by much usually.
The most important thing about wearing a swim cap is for it to be able to create a seal, so you don't want any hair coming out of it.

Kaeita
February 27th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I had another thought, it might be a bit weird, but considering some of the things people put on their heads here, it may be tame in comparison! :D

My son broke his arm recently, and as it's still in the hottest part of summer here, I got him one of these (https://www.limbo.com.au/supplyprice.html). It's basically a plastic bag with wetsuit material around the top, and it completely seals out water, even when fully submerged. They do warn to remove it after 20 minutes, because of the risk of condensation making the cast damp (he wore his for an hour with no dampness, but he doesn't sweat much), but as you don't have plaster to worry about, a bit of moisture in your hair probably wouldn't be a problem.

If you scroll down the page, there's one designed for an adult leg that stretches to 67cm (approximately 26.5inches). I don't know if that would fit your head circumference, but it might be worth checking out. It is an Australian company, as far as I know, but I'm sure they'd ship internationally, if you can't find a similar product locally. We got ours within 2 business days of ordering directly from them, it may take a few weeks to get to the States.

ETA: This (http://www.headcovers.com/11505/aqua-earbands-adult-size/) may be another option, might help with sealing a proper swim cap.

TrudieCat
February 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I seem to remember someone here mentioning that oiling hair prior to going into the ocean (esp. sensitive ecosystems like reefs) can be dangerous to the ecosystem. I have no idea if this is true or not, and I would imagine that since oil and water don't mix the oil would basically stay in your hair rather than ending up in the ocean. I would assume a water-soluable leave-in might be more dangerous, but again I don't really know. Still, this might be something to look into depending on how sensitive the ecosystem is where you will be. :shrug:

Sounds like an absolutely amazing experience. I am seriously jealous. :D I hope you have an awesome time!!

ETA: duh, I see you will be wearing a water-tight swim cap with a good seal. Please disregard the above if that's the case. Sometimes I don't read very carefully. :oops: :o

UltraBella
February 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM
ETA: duh, I see you will be wearing a water-tight swim cap with a good seal. Please disregard the above if that's the case. Sometimes I don't read very carefully. :oops: :o

No, you didn't miss anything ! Swim caps were suggested, but I have yet to find one that will fit all of my hair under it. I have the speedo long haired swim cap, which is the roomiest I can find, and it almost worked. If I had a bit less volume or length I may have had a chance. Plus, my head is big :)

Nae
February 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
As far as scarves go, check out this link to The Style Underground. They have pretty scarves but they also have some really fun videos that might help you out. http://www.thestyleunderground.com/