PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Help

RancheroTheBee
February 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
So, I've decided I am not fond of the bangs. Because of the bleach, they're a little dry, and frankly, I feel this weird resentment towards them because I have to wash my otherwise basically bald head just to keep them fresh. Oh, and they keep getting tangled into the rest of my hair, which always serves to make me look a little insane.

I'm just not really sure how to go about this. I shaved my head down to the quick last month, and the shaved part is about an inch long now; I don't even know if they make razor guides longer than an inch. Furthermore, the shaved part is coming in fuzzy and kind of uneven, so it might look strange if the front is so clean. Should I just try trimming them off with scissors?

TIA!

ScarlettAdelle
February 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
You could cut them using the hair behind them as a guide then point cut to mimic the fuzziness and unevenness.... Honestly, I'd pay a hairdresser to cut the front to match the back.

I'd say something along the lines of "I'm growing my hair out, and my bangs are getting awkward. Would you be able to TRIM THEM to match the length of the rest, and maybe texturize them just a little so that they don't look too clean? I do not want anything except for my bangs trimmed. I don't want to be shaped up and I do not want the rest cleaned up."

Bringing the hairdresser a picture of how you'd like the front to lay would be the best way to go. It's always easiest to cut according to a picture... You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand of!

Good luck :)

RancheroTheBee
February 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
It ate my original reply!

Yeah, you're probably right. *sigh* I just hate spending money on things I can do myself, you know?

ScarlettAdelle
February 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM
It ate my original reply!

Yeah, you're probably right. *sigh* I just hate spending money on things I can do myself, you know?

Yes... yes, I do! As a hardcore Do It Yourselfer I'm well aware of how you're feeling, but the hairstylist in me knows that this one will be difficult to do on your own (and not look like you randomly took a pair of scissors to your 'dome' XD ).... however, since you're only having your front bits done, you may be able to get the hairdresser to charge you only for a bangs trim (which is usually significantly lower than a normal trim/cut... I used to do bangs trims for my regulars for free...).

On the other hand, if you decide to go trimless or only trim once or twice a year (or when it's getting unbearably mullet-tastic) until you're in self trim range, you can significantly cut down on the out of pocket expense (and eventually eradicate it completely) involved in getting a trim...

RancheroTheBee
February 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I ended up going against all rational advice and doing it myself anyway.

I am kind of embarrassed that I didn't have the patience to make someone else do it, and I feel really foolish for starting a thread about it now. :blush:

It worked, though. The only thing that went wrong is that I learned the hard way that I've developed a ridiculous cowlick right. In. The. Front.

ScarlettAdelle
February 25th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Well... at least in the picture, it looks good! As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters! :)

And don't feel foolish! It's never foolish to ask a second opinion!

RancheroTheBee
February 25th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Well... at least in the picture, it looks good! As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters! :)

And don't feel foolish! It's never foolish to ask a second opinion!

:) Thank you. I'm pretty excited to see virgin hair for the first time since I was 11.

Yozhik
February 25th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I really like your new avatar photo! Great job on the self-trimming. :)